Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I want service now. Stop it!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-20, 10:01 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

After being out of the bike shop as a full timer for about a decade, and only working on Saturdays, I jumped back in as a full time wrench a week ago. Forgot how absolutely narcissistic some riders really are. Experienced the "drop everything now and fix my bike while I wait" scenario three times in the 7 days we have been open since being allowed to reopen. Not sure if these folks have the capacity to understand there is a store full of people, and many more who brought their bikes in for service well before they graced the front door, and are patiently waiting for a call from us letting them know their bike is ready for pick up.

If you find yourself doing this, please stop it! You upset everyone around you as well as yourself when the wrench denies your immediate request and takes care of those who came before your arse arrived.
Old 05-06-20, 10:14 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Do you/does your- shop have the reputation of being really good, with very good service? If so, that may be why people continue to expect it, and voluntarily grace your front door with their “arse(s).” Don’t look a gift arse in the mouth. (Just take their money and smile.)
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-06-20, 10:15 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If you find yourself doing this, please stop it! You upset everyone around you as well as yourself when the wrench denies your immediate request and takes care of those who came before your arse arrived.
I have stopped it. Now I get my work done by a former shop mechanic working out of his home. I make an appointment, either when it's convenient for me or the next slot he has open to do the work; he begins work when I drop the bike off; and I can either wait if it's a short job or pick it up after it's ready. In either case, unlike leaving it at a shop, it minimizes the time I'm without the bike. I don't know why shops can't do this kind of scheduling, but until they do, they won't have to worry about my asking for a quick turnaround.
Old 05-06-20, 10:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
For someone on tour, it seems like the Right Thing to Do.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-06-20, 10:29 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I work in a shop servicing guitars and other fretted instruments. Same type of clientele, where a select few expect to be placed at the front of the line. I do, however, give them the option of a rush service, if they are willing to pay a premium for it. Most of the time, they are not, and that slows them down a bit.
Old 05-06-20, 10:46 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I never ask for a quick turn around. I have a good relation with our local LBS, and they voluntarily get me in and out quickly. They know I live 40 miles from town and it is sometimes hard to get into their shop.

I never had to wait for service in a strange shop when I needed help while touring. I've had to stop at shops dozens of times while on long tours. On one tour I got to the shop just after the owner locked it up for the night. Without any hesitation he reopened the shop, and sold me a much needed tire. Often shops have not charged me for repair services. Another strange but memorable experience happened in a small town where the bike shop was in the back of a beauty shop. The hair dresser stopped working on a woman, and with her permission, took me in the back of the shop and found the part I needed. I could go on for quite awhile, but you get the idea.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-07-20, 04:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Reminds me of the thread someone started on ACA’s website. He was passing through Indianapolis and needed his bars re-taped. The shop he went to said they couldn’t get to it that day. His response was to say that any shop that will not give touring cyclists same-day service should not be listed on their maps.

Sad.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-20, 07:11 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
It's not only the "Pro's" who get upset. On a crowded day at one of our local shops you can see that several customers are getting upset that they haven't been taken care of yet and that they're going to, and usually do, ask for on the spot service.
Old 05-07-20, 07:27 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Do people expect on the spot service for their car or do they generally make appointments or just go and drop it off? I wonder.
Likes For ZHVelo:
Old 05-07-20, 07:32 AM
TiHabanero

This has nothing to do with someone out on touring needing repair or a commuter needing repair. This has everything to do with people feeling the need for special treatment ahead of everyone else that is waiting and playing by the established rules. Should someone call in to set an appointment, that is completely different and has nothing to do with my original rant.

Just find it shocking in this day and age that people are so damned full of themselves that they believe, truly believe they deserve special treatment because, well, just because they are special and have money in their pocket. To hell with everyone else, I come first!
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-07-20, 07:50 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
FIFO First In First Out? No Premium

If you are willing to pay a premium?
LIFO Last In First Out.

Isn't this just a market strategy? That is, the owner/operator makes this executive decision.
If I was on vacation in let's say Mammoth Lakes and needed an urgent repair, I would expect to pay a premium for immediate service if that was an option.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-07-20 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-07-20, 08:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Have you noticed that it's almost always a mistake to work on somebody's bike while they watch?
Old 05-07-20, 08:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've never experienced this, as a customer. I do most of my own work, but when I bring something in, they usually tell me how long it will be until they can get to it. I usually tell them if it isn't urgent, so that they can give priority to people who have an urgent problem. This is in a town where I have seen selfish people push blind people out of the way who are slowing them down. So I just wonder how prevalent this really is?

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-07-20 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-07-20, 08:34 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
The few bike stores left in my area currently all have a 4-6 week wait time right now. Fortunately I can do most repairs myself.
Old 05-07-20, 08:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Have you noticed that it's almost always a mistake to work on somebody's bike while they watch?
It depends on what kind of a tech you are. I worked on office machines for 47 years. Everything from typewriters to mainframes. My company saw to it that I was exceptionally well trained. I probably averaged at least two trips off to tech school every year.

I had no problem what so ever of my customers watching what I did. I was well known for my preventive maintenance, and always had the fewest emergency service calls. I learned early it was better to run machines than have them run you.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-07-20, 09:12 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I took my bike in for a shredded cable the lady owner said it will take awhile since they are swamped. No problem at all it will give me a chance to ride some bikes that are collecting dust. People need to be rational during this messed up time. No need for people to have a D-Bag attitude but unfortunately cycling has that sector of jackalope. I will be on my one speed and looking forward to it.

Bike snobs will be terrified lol.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-07-20, 09:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
This has nothing to do with someone out on touring needing repair or a commuter needing repair. This has everything to do with people feeling the need for special treatment ahead of everyone else that is waiting and playing by the established rules....

To hell with everyone else, I come first!
That’s exactly what the guy in my story wanted. “Drop everything and help me now so I can keep moving to my planned destination for the night. I don’t care if your shop is swamped.” And for bar tape, no less. Not exactly like he was unable to continue riding. Even if he were unable I would think him out of line. When I crossed the country I was thankful for emergency repairs that were mission important, but I never demanded them.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-07-20 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-07-20, 10:04 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
This has nothing to do with someone out on touring needing repair or a commuter needing repair. This has everything to do with people feeling the need for special treatment ahead of everyone else that is waiting and playing by the established rules. Should someone call in to set an appointment, that is completely different and has nothing to do with my original rant.

Just find it shocking in this day and age that people are so damned full of themselves that they believe, truly believe they deserve special treatment because, well, just because they are special and have money in their pocket. To hell with everyone else, I come first!
"in this day and age" this behavior is the norm. People are increasingly needy and entitled. It should not surprise or shock you. It is the overall direction of society these days, and it will continue and even get worse.
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 05-07-20, 10:14 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Our "local" bike shop gives better than on-the-spot service. I am responsible for a our school district's bike safety bike fleet. The Service Manager from the shop drove 40 miles to spend the day with me going over 37 bikes doing safety checks and replacing safety related parts. It was his day off! Like I said above, I have a good realtionship with our LBS.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 05-07-20, 10:20 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Doesn't everyone post the years old joke.....

HOURLY RATE
$100/hour Standard
$150/hour If you watch
$175/hour If you help
$200/hour If you worked on it first
$250/hour If you tell me how
$300/hour If I watch you do it

It just needs an additional entry for... If you want it now!
Old 05-07-20, 10:27 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Last month I was having problems with my CX bike not shifting properly. I do my own mechanics and checked the RD hanger and adjusted it but can't get it right. I rode by the LBS and they spend 30 minute checking it and still not right. I told him I didn't expect them to stop what they were doing and spends so much time on it. I told them i'll drop it off and since the weather was gettin nicer, i'd switch to my road bike. That I didn't need it back until November.

I dropped it the next day and 6 weeks later its exactly where they hung it. The shop is swamped and I don't see an end to it. They asked me if i wanted to work part time helping them fix bikes... I passed. I like being retired.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-07-20, 10:35 AM
TiHabanero

I suppose we could have an "I want it now" surcharge. Something to ponder. There are nine shops in our area and we all know each other. Often we will call one another asking if a guy with a blue so and so stopped in wanting a cable change on the spot. Yep, sure did, did he stop in your place? He is here right now and has nothing good to say about you guys! And we laugh together. Did he get the I want it now job done? Nope. So he goes to the next shop...blah blah blah. Just wish people could be more civil towards others. Sugar attracts more honey bees than lemons.

Moral of the story is treat others as you want them to treat you. Now, where have I heard that before?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-07-20, 10:36 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Yup, I could have ordered the cable and waited a week or more and fixed it myself. Old fashion pliers for stretchers but then I was thinking I will probably need new housing or some obscure part. Ordering all the parts isn’t worth saving 10 bucks. I like working on my bikes but some things are better left to a professional shop. Plus I like supporting the small business bike shop. I guess at my age now I don’t need another headache I need a bike ride
Old 05-07-20, 10:58 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Reminds me of the thread someone started on ACA’s website. He was passing through Indianapolis and needed his bars re-taped. The shop he went to said they couldn’t get to it that day. His response was to say that any shop that will not give touring cyclists same-day service should not be listed on their maps.

Sad.
he couldn’t just buy the tape and do it himself in the parking lot? I wonder if he could put on a Band Aid or use TP.
Old 05-07-20, 11:09 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I suppose we could have an "I want it now" surcharge. Something to ponder. There are nine shops in our area and we all know each other. Often we will call one another asking if a guy with a blue so and so stopped in wanting a cable change on the spot. Yep, sure did, did he stop in your place? He is here right now and has nothing good to say about you guys! And we laugh together. Did he get the I want it now job done? Nope. So he goes to the next shop...blah blah blah. Just wish people could be more civil towards others. Sugar attracts more honey bees than lemons.

Moral of the story is treat others as you want them to treat you. Now, where have I heard that before?
My son works through high school and college in a bike shop and everyone should spend some time in a customer service roll. You learn to be nice to people when you spend some time on the receiving side of customer's crap.

I have a home based niche auto restoration business. All of my business is over the internet and I can tell you that I quickly know when a potential customer will be a PITA. I try to work with them but their comes a time that it's just worth it and suggest they go somewhere else. I also don't give out my cell number since some think i'm the Shell Answerman and will contact me for all of their automotive problems of which most don't pertain to what I restored for them.

So a "i want it now" fee doesn't make up for the BS some customer's give out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.