Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Grippy pedals for my blind wife?

Old 05-07-20, 09:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Grippy pedals for my blind wife?

we got our tandem and my wife is loving it. but sometimes her feet slip off the pedals. I was going to get her some race face pedals but I think the medal spikes will get her shins. any ideas on grippy safe pedals?
Old 05-07-20, 09:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
I like plastic BMX pedals like Odyssey Twisted and Cult Dak. The Cults take a 17mm instead of 15.

Both are very grippy with the right shoes. Work great with Van's waffle soles. Most trail runners grip pretty good, but some are a bit squirrelly.
Old 05-07-20, 10:13 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
On a tandem, I definitely recommend some sort of positive retention, as if her foot slips out while you're kronkin' on it, that can hurt pretty badly.
There are the standard 'clipless' pedals like SPD, or if you want something simpler without going with the toe cage and strap, outfits like Origin8 have a velcro strap that
should work with most platform pedals.
Our technique includes me holding the bike while my Rear Admiral clicks in, so that would work just as well with velcro straps.
Old 05-07-20, 11:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I agree, the "clipless" pedals could work well. The biggest issue for newbies is when they get stuck in the pedals, but if the Capatain is strong enough to support the bike, at least momentarily, then that shouldn't be a major issue.

For a newbie, set the tension weak, then one can make changes if one chooses to both push and pull, or needs more retention.

For Shimano SPD, there is "multi-release" that I think one can pull up and out easier, while the standard SPD requires a twist.

Many other brands and models of clipless, some with more "float", some with less.

It will take some practice to feel the attachment point, but most riders can feel the sweet spot without looking.

You can also practice on an exercycle or trainer setup.
Old 05-08-20, 11:58 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
How about using toe clips? Lots of diff types available: https://www.bing.com/search?q=bike+t...465506778b1781
Old 05-08-20, 01:48 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
How about using toe clips? Lots of diff types available: https://www.bing.com/search?q=bike+t...465506778b1781
She used them on a stationary bike at her parents house and had a hard time. right now she needs to focus just on the basics clips maybe later but you cant even try on shoes right now. I got her these for now.
Old 05-19-20, 09:29 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I am amp on left side. Using foot retention on anything outside an organized road bike event brings me great pause as I simply cannot get my foot loose on that side. I started using a very similar pedal to the Race Face. (I used to know them as Shimano DX back in BMX days). They have exceptional grip and feel. As another poster mentioned (and also experience from my BMX days) try to find some Vans or perhaps Airwalk shoes. The pattern on the bottom of a classic vans shoe works exceptionally well with the 'pin' type wafer pedals. It's like your feet are glued. The wide platform is also very helpful.

I also have to second toe clips (straps) in this case. Assuming no issue with mobility I would imagine her spatial awareness is good enough to easily get in and out of those.
Old 05-25-20, 07:37 PM
Damar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neubie

Hola Im a neubie
Old 05-25-20, 07:51 PM
ups

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I bought a set of these leather pedal belt foot straps for my wife. Easy to use. She has them on Forte platform mountain bike pedals (on a touring bike). She was just mentioning this weekend she likes them because they caused her to feel like her feet won't be slipping off the pedals.
https://www.oopsmark.ca/products/pedal-belt-strap
Old 05-30-20, 08:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there are some pedals that use setscrews for the grippy pins, you can screw them in further, to reduce that exposure..

Ive been using Ergon's pedals for years, they use grip tape patch rather than pins, and concave face centers your foot effortlessly.