Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Old 04-21-20, 05:25 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
It looks like San Diego is going to open the parks. We will see what that includes and maybe it will include Fiesta Island.
it does not. Mission bay park also still closed. Looks like its mostly just local neighborhood parks for now
Old 04-21-20, 05:33 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Fiesta still closed. I rode Florida Canyon on my MTB this morning which was nice. I have a feeling for my TT ride on Thursday I'll be heading up to UCSD and back and just getting a few minutes at a time in aero between intersections.
Old 04-21-20, 05:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Looking for contradictory opinions here.. After a long discussion with co workers, it seems to me that "flattening the curve" doesn't actually limit the number of people who get the disease, but rather just lengthens out the time it takes for that number to actually get it. Obviously this is not justification for why anyone should go out and do group activities, but it seems to be that it is almost inevitable for many people that they will get sick. The social distancing and such is to limit the sharp peak that would overwhelm our hospitals and medical ability.

I guess the best way to imagine what I'm trying to say is that the integral of the flattened curve and the non-flattened curve is the same, but the derivative over the curve is obviously wildly different.
That's how I understand it. I think that social distancing does also limit the number of infections, but that's a secondary effect. The most important thing is to spread them out over a longer time period.
Old 04-21-20, 05:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Looking for contradictory opinions here.. After a long discussion with co workers, it seems to me that "flattening the curve" doesn't actually limit the number of people who get the disease, but rather just lengthens out the time it takes for that number to actually get it. Obviously this is not justification for why anyone should go out and do group activities, but it seems to be that it is almost inevitable for many people that they will get sick. The social distancing and such is to limit the sharp peak that would overwhelm our hospitals and medical ability.

I guess the best way to imagine what I'm trying to say is that the integral of the flattened curve and the non-flattened curve is the same, but the derivative over the curve is obviously wildly different.
The theory is to prevent overwhelming the system but the hope is with more time a treatment or vaccine may be developed, or the virus may mutate into a less dangerous form, or maybe not everyone will get it after all.
Old 04-21-20, 08:43 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I feel like I just sound like an ******* when i say these things. Or a fear monger.. Saying the same number of people will get sick (or on the same order of magnitude I guess) scares people it seems.
Old 04-22-20, 07:05 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
It looks like San Diego is going to open the parks. We will see what that includes and maybe it will include Fiesta Island.
Some of the beaches a couple hours away are opening, but they are only opening for exercise. You can walk, run, swim, surf, but you cannot fish or layout. Chairs, blankets, umbrellas are all prohibited. Seems like a fair compromise to me.

Originally Posted by caloso
That's how I understand it. I think that social distancing does also limit the number of infections, but that's a secondary effect. The most important thing is to spread them out over a longer time period.
Originally Posted by big john
The theory is to prevent overwhelming the system but the hope is with more time a treatment or vaccine may be developed, or the virus may mutate into a less dangerous form, or maybe not everyone will get it after all.
Yes to both of these responses. (I'm not in public health anymore, but I was for about 10 years, working with a lot of epidemiologists.) The goal is to not overrun the health care system, give time to develop better ways to combat it, and hopefully reduce the number of people who contract it.

I feel like I just sound like an ******* when i say these things. Or a fear monger.. Saying the same number of people will get sick (or on the same order of magnitude I guess) scares people it seems.
Nah. I told my wife I fully expect to get it at some point. I just don't know when or how bad. I'm more concerned about mine and my wife's parents, who are much more likely to suffer greatly from it. Though, my wife is pretty concerned about me since I am asthmatic.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-22-20, 07:10 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
SARS and MERS both evolved into a less dangerous form (most pathogens do because it's in their best interests to keep their hosts sick but mobile so the host is out interacting with people and the environment passing the pathogen around - there are some obvious exceptions like the plague, tetanus, botulism, anthrax, etc. that have specific reasons for needing their host to die), so a lot of people are hoping that the same thing will happen with this related virus, and it seems reasonable to expect that it might happen. Because it has spread so far into so many people, if mutations leading to weaking do happen, they'll probably happen multiple times independently, so we'll end up with a ton of strains like the flu, which would make making a vaccine more complicated and suggests that it might be with us for a long time, but, if it weakens to the level of the flu or, better yet, a cold, that's far from the worse case scenario.
Old 04-22-20, 09:55 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I was reading something about the drug used for dog heartworm medication and for river blindness in Africa being a potential treatment that can minimize the severity/lethality of covid19. This gives me some hope that at least there will be more effective treatments the longer we can delay this.

That being said, I had a period of dyspnea a little while before the shutdowns started which triggered a full on panic attack/hyperventilation (because I thought I wasn't getting enough oxygen, so I started breathing faster, then I felt tingling/numbness in my arms and diaphragm so I freaked out more - turns out that's a symptom of hyperventilation). Anyway, the original dyspnea was super annoying and felt like I could never get a satisfying deep breath. The doctors x-rayed my lungs, checked my vitals and labs, and said everything looked normal and that it was probably just general anxiety causing it. I didn't feel like I was more stressed or anxious than usual in the time leading up to it though, and also my white blood cell count was right near the top of the 'normal' range. So I'm wondering if it's possible I had a very mild early case. On the other hand, I've seen first hand reports of "air hunger" with general anxiety, and that's the best way I can think of to describe what it felt like the whole week prior.
Old 04-22-20, 02:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
We canceled all remaining hotel and airline reservations supporting racing. We may go to Moriarty, New Mexico later this year where my wife would attempt a new 20k national time trial record. However, that may just be whistling past the graveyard.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-22-20, 04:21 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
it seems to me that "flattening the curve" doesn't actually limit the number of people who get the disease, but rather just lengthens out the time it takes for that number to actually get it.
It has the potential to do both, but the PRIMARY benefit to flattening the curve is that we don't overwhelm medical resources, or lose a huge percentage of the workforce at once. That's not a "just", that's the difference in a manageable event and a devastating catastrophe.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-23-20, 01:39 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Just watched my son's awards ceremony for the music school at Syracuse University. He won the faculty award for the sound recording technology program. His professor totally gushed over him. The whole thing was weird and awesome, being held on zoom and live streamed to facebook. A modern era tale sure to not be forgotten.
Old 04-24-20, 10:06 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
My wife is getting actual calls from patients this morning asking if it is OK to gargle Clorox.

The day can only get better.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 04-24-20, 11:48 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Moderation note: If this thread turns political, I will have to move it back to the Covid 19 area in the lounge or P&R. This thread is about the impact of Covid 19 on racing. If you have made a political post, please delete it.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-24-20, 12:09 PM
himespau 

sorry
Old 05-03-20, 02:28 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Celebrating my son's birthday and graduation today (it's really the 10th). Did so by going for family antibody tests. I guess we'll know in a week. My wife pointed out my "covid toes" today. Fascinating stuff.

My race calendar has evolved. My local HC hill climb got kicked to october. Felt I could wrap my head around getting fit for the first time in a long while. Maybe I'll look for a rabbit in a hat.
Old 05-03-20, 02:50 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We may be getting an antibody test; we can get one for 75$ which is a bargain to know where you stand.

There's very good news out of S. Korea; https://abcnews.go.com/Health/south-...ry?id=70312111 worth a read.
Old 05-03-20, 05:44 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Celebrating my son's birthday and graduation today (it's really the 10th). Did so by going for family antibody tests. I guess we'll know in a week. My wife pointed out my "covid toes" today. Fascinating stuff.

My race calendar has evolved. My local HC hill climb got kicked to october. Felt I could wrap my head around getting fit for the first time in a long while. Maybe I'll look for a rabbit in a hat.
Is the antibody test eelective at this point. Thanks for the info about the toes thing. An odd little rabbit hole to dive down for a bit. Once the dye from my climbing shoes comes out of my skin, I'll have to take a look!
Old 05-03-20, 06:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Not sure how you mean elective as regards a test. They can't make you have it. This is America.

It's covered by insurance.

mine kinda still look like this. At the time my wife assumed it was from sweating indoors in my cycling shoes.
Old 05-03-20, 08:01 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I've had toes like that several times for years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilblains
Old 05-04-20, 12:38 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Here is an interesting video from my wife’s company that discusses Covid 19 and testing.

Old 05-06-20, 11:34 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
So USAC is not only sponsoring but also listing zwift virtual results on its website?

https://legacy.usacycling.org/result...rmit=2020-1517

are virtual standings going to count for upgrade purposes?

granted, their game, their rules, but this feels downright weird.

fwiw, the current national indoor champ (as crowned by Zwift) never made it out of cat-4 on the road (despite of how strong he is). No idea what to make of USAC’s wholesale embrace of this indoor stuff

it does appear, however, that USAC was able to increase membership by doing this. Whatever foots the bill, i guess

Last edited by echappist; 05-06-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 11:54 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by echappist
No idea what to make of USAC’s wholesale embrace of this indoor stuff

it does appear, however, that USAC was able to increase membership by doing this. Whatever foots the bill, i guess
Yeah, I think that's it. Once it turned out that there wasn't going to be much outdoor racing this year, they didn't want to (or couldn't afford to) have to be in a situation where they were returning license fees (the university I work for is $40 million in the hole for the year - mostly because of cancellations of elective medical/dental procedures at our hospitals/professional schools and athletics, but partially because of withdrawals, decreased enrollment, and housing refunds), so they figured they'd sponsor some online racing and maybe even pick up a few new people who otherwise wouldn't have because they don't want to race outdoors. If they can use Zwiftpower to reduce cheaters/sandbaggers (and maybe limit it to races with the cone of shame), they might be able to give their races an air of legitimacy. I doubt anything will go toward upgrades though. At least I'd hope not.
Old 05-06-20, 01:50 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

USAC should return some of the license fees paid. If they offered to return mine, I would give it to them as a donation. I only point this out since we are all donating our license fees to USAC. I see little value this season...yet but I am sympathetic to the USAC employees and feel they should be paid, if possible. USAC revenues must be a disaster.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-09-20, 02:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
@Hermes - San Onofre State park and trestles open again. Bathrooms closed and trail is packed with surfers and ebikes. Just an FYI.
Likes For Doge:
Old 05-09-20, 06:15 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The multi-generational competitive group rides are increasing in S OC.

Certainly it is hard to define, but more racing IMO than virtual stuff. Also funny as the old grass roots sprint to the light, or the sign at the top of the hill are once again significant.

I'd call it racing. I don't know why it would't be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.