Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2020 Domane gravel build

Old 02-04-20, 04:46 PM
Emilio700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
2020 Domane gravel build

The 2020 Trek Domane SLR gained much tire clearance and with the optional Pro geometry, I saw that it fit my needs for a gravel race bike perfectly. I don't bikepack but I'm looking forward to running fenders on it for wet winter road rides. Integrated fender mounts make this a breeze. Standard Domane Endurance geometry was too tall for me. The lower Pro Endurance geometry only available through their Project One custom site. Splashed some flashy paint on it while I was in there
Bike handles great in the dirt. I have the rear Iso set almost full soft. For me, the fit is perfect. Super comfy off road and still fast on pavement. Have done 80 mile road days, fast buffed single track and 3 mile long 25% loose rocky descents. Happy everywhere.
I suspect Trek will have a 2021 "Checkpoint" gravel bike with F&R Iso that is basically this bike with slightly tweaked geometry.

60 CM Pro Endurance geometry
Dura Ace Di2 shifters
D/A power meter 180mm cranks
Ultegra 46/34T
D/A 140mm rotors
RX805 Di2 clutch rear derailleur
Wolftooth Roadlink DM
Amazon/China 13T upper jockey pulley

D/A R9100 Di2 front derailleur
XTR 11-40T cassette
Bontrager 42cm x 12cm XXX one piece carbon bars
Specialized power saddle
Crank Bros Egg Beater 11 pedals
Arundel Bando cages (never lose a bottle again!)
DT240 hubs
Sapim CX ray spokes
Light Bicycle 23mm internal carbon tubeless
Michelin Power Gravel 35c for dirt only in soft conditions, Maxxis Re-Fuse 40c for everything else

Weighs about 18.5 lbs.
Tire clearance front & rear is ~54mm. Running fenders will require smaller tires of course. Winter road plan is 28c GP500 tubeless. With the Maxxis Re-Fuse 40c, I have a generous ~7mm clearance on each side.

Build notes:
-FD adjustment slot would not go low enough for 46T chainring. Had to file it about 2mm lower to get correct FD height.
-Cables are easy to run despite being all internal. Didn't even need my Park IR 1.2 cable routing kit that every other IR bike I have built required.
-On all my Di2 bikes I install the wireless transmitter between the bars and TT. This allows easier service but also lets me unplug shifters from battery. For any Di2 owners who have inadvertently drained their battery by storing the bike against a Di2 trigger..
-T47 threaded BB is awesome!
-Storage roll in DT is way too small for gravel tube. Barely enough room for road tube. I plan to find a small pump that will fit in there. Ordered the Bontrager BITS multitool that clicks into the cover on the inside.
- Got a little skipping in 46x11 before I added the larger jockey pulley and Roadlink. Now its perfect.

Last edited by Emilio700; 05-07-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-06-20, 08:03 PM
Emilio700

I can post pics now, yay.

Likes For Emilio700:
Old 02-07-20, 09:10 AM
evan the cdn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Beautiful bike!

Originally Posted by Emilio700
-On all my Di2 bikes I install the wireless transmitter between the bars and TT. This allows easier service but also lets me unplug shifters from battery. For any Di2 owners who have inadvertently drained their battery by storing the bike against a Di2 trigger..
Can you clarify that for me? Do you mean under the stem?
Old 02-07-20, 09:30 AM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by evan the cdn
Beautiful bike!
Can you clarify that for me? Do you mean under the stem?
The ew-wu111 wireless transmitter is inline on the e-tube wire that goes from the top tube to bars.

On my Cervelo S5 disc that has all internal cabling, it's hidden in the head tube.

Pic swiped from Jenson, for scale

Old 02-07-20, 12:19 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
The ew-wu111 wireless transmitter is inline on the e-tube wire that goes from the top tube to bars.
You can put it pretty much put it anywhere inline - mine are all in the seat tube between the battery and the Junction B Box.
Likes For srode1:
Old 02-07-20, 01:02 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Hot damn! Nice bike. I had no idea the Domane could fit 40s
Old 02-07-20, 02:55 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by srode1
You can put it pretty much put it anywhere inline - mine are all in the seat tube between the battery and the Junction B Box.
I was not stating that is the only place to install it. I was answering the question of where mine was installed. Case in point my other bike with the transmitter in the head tube.
Old 02-09-20, 01:30 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by shoota
Hot damn! Nice bike. I had no idea the Domane could fit 40s
That's sorta why I'm sharing this build on gravel forums. I think the 2020 Domane will fly under the radar of gravellistas because it's a "road bike". The tire clearance, rack mounts, fender mounts, dual Iso decouplers, low BB and overall geometry make it the perfect gravel race bike IMO.
If you accept 4mm static clearance, you can fit 45mm tires in the 54mm space the frameset has. 40mm is the largest I ever want. Guessing I'll be the only nut with a Domane at DK this year

Because the shape of the tire clearance pockets in the chainstays, I doubt you could fit 650bx47's in there. Fork would clear them though.
Likes For Emilio700:
Old 02-09-20, 02:09 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
That's sorta why I'm sharing this build on gravel forums. I think the 2020 Domane will fly under the radar of gravellistas because it's a "road bike". The tire clearance, rack mounts, fender mounts, dual Iso decouplers, low BB and overall geometry make it the perfect gravel race bike IMO.
If you accept 4mm static clearance, you can fit 45mm tires in the 54mm space the frameset has. 40mm is the largest I ever want. Guessing I'll be the only nut with a Domane at DK this year

Because the shape of the tire clearance pockets in the chainstays, I doubt you could fit 650bx47's in there. Fork would clear them though.
Beautiful configuration...especially the groupset choices.

I was considering bringing my 2020 Domane Project One H1 fit to Kanza this year but opted to keep it in road configuration and instead bring a Checkpoint ALR in Mad Max garb...

Domane:

Watch for this at DK200 in May...in the process of mounting GRX400 10-speed, redshift shockstop stem and seatpost:
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 03-11-20, 04:44 PM
Emilio700

A bit of rain this week so bolted fenders on and swapped an old set of wheels with new Pirelli Velo TLR 32c tubeless. I plan to run these for BWR. Domane has fender/rack mounts integrated in so install was a breeze. These are Bontrager polycarbonate fenders. Max tire size with teh fenders is about 35c officially but I think you could fit 38's under them.

Maybe its just me but there is something sexy about a full carbon, Dura Ace bike with fenders and covered in muck.

Old 05-06-20, 01:56 PM
Mojo Rider

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks great! Love that bright orange paint job. 🍊
Old 05-07-20, 10:46 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Very nice bike! The orange truly pops! Hope it serves you well as a Gravel/Cyclocross race machine!
Old 05-14-20, 11:12 AM
princo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Build notes:
-FD adjustment slot would not go low enough for 46T chainring. Had to file it about 2mm lower to get correct FD height.
I have a frame being replaced with a 2020 Domane and I'm considering a sub-compact crankset. I noticed a supercompact adapter on FSA's website. (shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/type/front-derailleurs/accessories//supercompact-adapter). Looks like it works by extending the braze-on slot a little bit lower.

Any reason to think that it would not work with a Domane and/or other brands subcompact cranksets to lower a Shimano front derailleur?
Old 05-14-20, 11:29 AM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by princo
I have a frame being replaced with a 2020 Domane and I'm considering a sub-compact crankset. I noticed a supercompact adapter on FSA's website. (shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/type/front-derailleurs/accessories//supercompact-adapter). Looks like it works by extending the braze-on slot a little bit lower.

Any reason to think that it would not work with a Domane and/or other brands subcompact cranksets to lower a Shimano front derailleur?
I lengthened the slot on the frame, a bit lower. Those dimensions are standardized so regardless of chainring or crank brand, a given tooth count will require a specific height. So a 46T outer like I have will always require lowering that slot on the frame's braze on mount by the same amount. HTH
Old 06-01-20, 04:17 PM
Emilio700

Update after a few thousand miles of mostly offroad use. Had the nuts that hold the isospeed trunion in place come loose. Misdiagnosed as a loose headset so I rode on it for a while that way. Doh. Thankfully, the nuts (#22 in schematic) have a conical versus shank seat design. So the bosses in the frame weren't ovalized. A bit of tiny carbon fragments but I escaped a major frame repair. The nuts have an integral eccentric washer that keeps them from spinning as you turn the center bolt (#21) to torque down. The nuts were blue loctited from the factory. Cleaned and red loctited, then probably over torqued a wee bit. No play, all good now. The bolts on my Boone with front isospeed never came loose with maybe 3x the miles and a bunch of cross races. Maybe a different fastener design on the '18 Boone, dunno

So if you have a 2020 Domane and ride it off road, might not be a bad idea to preemptively pull those fasteners and red loctite them to factory torque spec.

Likes For Emilio700:
Old 06-02-20, 09:23 AM
JVG
Me ride bikes

Bikes: Trek checkpoint SL5 , AL5 , Ryenolds

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Domane 2020
in general how do you like the bike ? Can you fit a 40mm tire with 4mm of clearance each side ? I notice you also have a checkpoint alr .. I ride aprox 70% road and 30% light gravel and dirt roads and looking to ad another bike to the collection but cant decide between those 2 ? Maybe you can help with some insight as you own both
Old 06-02-20, 09:42 AM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by JVG
Domane 2020
in general how do you like the bike ? Can you fit a 40mm tire with 4mm of clearance each side ? I notice you also have a checkpoint alr .. I ride aprox 70% road and 30% light gravel and dirt roads and looking to ad another bike to the collection but cant decide between those 2 ? Maybe you can help with some insight as you own both
Sorry if you got confused by other people posting in my thread. I do not own an ALR, only a 2018 Boone (cross) and the 2020 Domane SLR. Detailed and specific answers to your questions are in my first post.

The broader question; if you can afford carbon, buy carbon. Compared to aluminum its lighter, better ride quality, more difficult to damage, repairable.
Old 06-02-20, 09:49 AM
JVG
Me ride bikes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Domane

Cost us not really a concern , my question more lies with witch bike is better suited for that riding. Even say between the domane sl6 and the checkpoint sl6 . I dont think I will ever need a 50mm tire clearance but i will do some light gravel riding . But most of my riding is tarmac , I was thinking the 2020 domane with all its features paired with a 38mm tire would be very versatile and ride fast on the tarmac and good on dirt roads . I guess when I look at the I checkpoint I see a bike more suited for 70%gravel and 30% tarmac vs the domane 70%tarmac and 30%gravel. Will I loose anything being limited to a 38mm tire with this type of riding? This is my 1st bike that is not a dedicated 26mm road bike so I'm kinda in new territory thus why I'm asking opinions from somone more experienced in gravel lol any help would be appreciated

Sorry if you got confused by other people posting in my thread. I do not own an ALR, only a 2018 Boone (cross) and the 2020 Domane SLR. Detailed and specific answers to your questions are in my first post.

The broader question; if you can afford carbon, buy carbon. Compared to aluminum its lighter, better ride quality, more difficult to damage, repairable.
Old 06-02-20, 10:53 AM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by JVG
Cost us not really a concern , my question more lies with witch bike is better suited for that riding. Even say between the domane sl6 and the checkpoint sl6 . I dont think I will ever need a 50mm tire clearance but i will do some light gravel riding . But most of my riding is tarmac , I was thinking the 2020 domane with all its features paired with a 38mm tire would be very versatile and ride fast on the tarmac and good on dirt roads . I guess when I look at the I checkpoint I see a bike more suited for 70%gravel and 30% tarmac vs the domane 70%tarmac and 30%gravel. Will I loose anything being limited to a 38mm tire with this type of riding? This is my 1st bike that is not a dedicated 26mm road bike so I'm kinda in new territory thus why I'm asking opinions from somone more experienced in gravel lol any help would be appreciated
Please take a moment to read my earlier posts regarding actual (not advertised clearance). The 2020 Domane will fit a 42mm tire with 6mm clearance on each side.

Ask yourself what makes a bike suited to whatever percentage gravel. The answer is nothing. Gravel is where you ride, not what you ride. Modern "all road" bikes designed for 32mm tires are gravel bikes without the extra mounts. Same basic geometry.
Old 06-02-20, 11:21 AM
JVG
Me ride bikes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Correct but in this instance when I say gravel I dont mean the type of riding but riding on actual gravel lol . I did read above but in the picture where you show a 40c tire it looks like there is almost no room to spare on the sides in the photo so that's why I I simply asked . Just looking for others experience is all , I appreciate your response
UOTE=Emilio700;21511221]Please take a moment to read my earlier posts regarding actual (not advertised clearance). The 2020 Domane will fit a 42mm tire with 6mm clearance on each side.

Ask yourself what makes a bike suited to whatever percentage gravel. The answer is nothing. Gravel is where you ride, not what you ride. Modern "all road" bikes designed for 32mm tires are gravel bikes without the extra mounts. Same basic geometry.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-02-20, 12:48 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by JVG
I did read above but in the picture where you show a 40c tire it looks like there is almost no room to spare on the sides in the photo.. .
Ah, you missed the first post that lists an actual 54mm between the chainstays and fork legs. I didn't type that measurement in the photo, so you missed it.

So your perceived "almost no room to spare" is 6.4mm per side with my particular 41.2mm tires. 8mm per side with a tire that measure to 38mm. Plenty IMO.
Old 06-02-20, 01:58 PM
JVG
Me ride bikes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ahh I must have.... as I said I simply looked at the picture and maybe its the angle but it looks in that photo like there is little space as just a little mud on a rainy day could cause some issues . But I trust you when you say it's got room . Are there certain tires you have tried that fit well ? Some tires can be a 40mm tire and when you throw it on a 25mm wheel it is actually 42mm. I'll also remember to keep on eye on that screw inside the headset

Ah, you missed the first post that lists an actual 54mm between the chainstays and fork legs. I didn't type that measurement in the photo, so you missed it.

So your perceived "almost no room to spare" is 6.4mm per side with my particular 41.2mm tires. 8mm per side with a tire that measure to 38mm. Plenty IMO.
Old 06-02-20, 02:18 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by JVG
Ahh I must have.... as I said I simply looked at the picture and maybe its the angle but it looks in that photo like there is little space as just a little mud on a rainy day could cause some issues . But I trust you when you say it's got room . Are there certain tires you have tried that fit well ? Some tires can be a 40mm tire and when you throw it on a 25mm wheel it is actually 42mm. I'll also remember to keep on eye on that screw inside the headset
Um, I believe you are overthinking it. 54mm is 54mm. You will need to measure the tires you have on your wheels. Decide how much clearance you are comfortable with and go from there.

My earlier picture for example, states "40c rambler, actual 41.2mm". Don't rely on me. Go measure stuff.
Old 06-02-20, 02:26 PM
JVG
Me ride bikes

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bro I'm not relying on you , if I had the domane right now I would go "measure stuff" but I have not yet bought it , that's what I 1st said was i trying to decide between the 2 ... As we found out in the 1st reply I actually ment to reply to the other guy that owns the checkpoint and the domane but you replied so I thought I would pick your brain and maybe it could help me decide what to buy .... I thought that's what these forums are for . Your replies make it seem like your annoyed at the questions so I'm not sure why you keep replying but like I said several times im just looking for others experience and opinion and any info is greatly appreciated.. so I appreciate your help. I'll go buy the bike and a measuring tape now

Um, I believe you are overthinking it. 54mm is 54mm. You will need to measure the tires you have on your wheels. Decide how much clearance you are comfortable with and go from there.

My earlier picture for example, states "40c rambler, actual 41.2mm". Don't rely on me. Go measure stuff.
Old 06-02-20, 03:12 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by JVG
Bro I'm not relying on you , if I had the domane right now I would go "measure stuff" but I have not yet bought it , that's what I 1st said was i trying to decide between the 2 ... As we found out in the 1st reply I actually ment to reply to the other guy that owns the checkpoint and the domane but you replied so I thought I would pick your brain and maybe it could help me decide what to buy .... I thought that's what these forums are for . Your replies make it seem like your annoyed at the questions so I'm not sure why you keep replying but like I said several times im just looking for others experience and opinion and any info is greatly appreciated.. so I appreciate your help. I'll go buy the bike and a measuring tape now
I went to a Trek dealer with stuff to measure. That helped me decide. Sounds like you want a testimonial or my "feeling" on it. I'm a data driven guy so my answers are phrased as such. I started this thread, adding as much detailed info as possible in the hopes it would help some.
Sorry if I was not able to provide the type of information you seek in the format yo are most comfortable with. Good luck with your project and see you on the trails brother

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.