Old 05-18-20, 07:43 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 463 Posts
People who grew up at high elevation may be less susceptible to COVID-19

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/peo...e-to-covid-19/

Zubieta-Calleja said a doctor would have to inject the hormone erythropoietin into a personís blood, which would stimulate the production of red blood cells.

Racing cyclists were just ahead of their time!
Old 05-18-20, 09:05 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/peo...e-to-covid-19/

Zubieta-Calleja said a doctor would have to inject the hormone erythropoietin into a personís blood, which would stimulate the production of red blood cells.

Racing cyclists were just ahead of their time!
That's such a great idea, with people dropping like flies from clotting complications from the infection.
Old 05-18-20, 04:59 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 432 Posts
Here's a Dr from NYC speculating that the covid19 patients he's seeing are looking more like altitude sickness than ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome?), and perhaps ventilators are the wrong approach

https://vimeo.com/402537849
Old 05-18-20, 06:01 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Here's a Dr from NYC speculating that the covid19 patients he's seeing are looking more like altitude sickness than ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome?), and perhaps ventilators are the wrong approach

https://vimeo.com/402537849
Now this is interesting. So he is saying the problem is not the lungs, but in getting O2 into the bloodstream.
Here is a PDF file of a recent paper: Covid-19: acquired acute porphyria hypothesis
The theory is that porphyria, (a normally inherited disease), is being caused by the virus, interfering with the blood hemoglobin:

https://osf.io/4wkfy/download/?format=pdf
Old 05-18-20, 06:41 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Now this is interesting. So he is saying the problem is not the lungs, but in getting O2 into the bloodstream.
Here is a PDF file of a recent paper: Covid-19: acquired acute porphyria hypothesis
The theory is that porphyria, (a normally inherited disease), is being caused by the virus, interfering with the blood hemoglobin:

https://osf.io/4wkfy/download/?format=pdf
That sounds familiar. Wasn't there a debunked computer based study about a month ago that suggested that COVID was attacking blood hemoglobin?

Caveat: I know nothing of this other than they both involve a hemoglobin-based theory.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_ur...=1&oi=scholarr

Old 05-19-20, 10:12 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

porphyria is what caused The Madness of King George
Old 05-19-20, 10:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Maybe this altitude/EPO thing is significant, but that summitdaily article is more caveat than substance.

Scientists need to sink their teeth into this and other promising ideas. I'm sure they are.
Old 05-19-20, 10:37 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11502 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 726 Posts
Interesting concept.

As one loses lung function, one becomes hypoxic (shortness of breath). There are a number of changes that can help including oxygen supplements (increasing O2 in the air from about 20% to about 100%), and eventually forcing more air into the lungs with a ventilator.

But, increasing RBCs (polycythemia) may also improve transport of oxygen to the cells.

A blood transfusion would be the easiest way to give a rapid, short-term increase in RBCs. Better yet, if one gets a whole blood transfusion that also contains the antibodies one needs.
Old 05-19-20, 11:10 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
But, increasing RBCs (polycythemia) may also improve transport of oxygen to the cells.
A friend of mine who developed polycythemia vera found that he no longer got altitude sickness.

However, people who have polycythemia vera typically die from the blood clots. My friend has probably had a couple dozen stents put in over the years.

Given that we now know that massive blot clotting is one of the major sources of complications and death from SARS-CoV-2, administering EPO is quite possibly the worst way imaginable to increase oxygenation.

It does make me wonder if the clotting complications develop as a consequence of oxygen shortage -- i.e., the body cranks up its own production of EPO, and that in turn causes clotting? (This is merely speculative on my part.)

It might suggest suppressing natural over-expression of EPO could help prevent some of these complications.

Last edited by wgscott; 05-19-20 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 05-19-20, 11:53 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Or how about just blood doping? Extract your own blood, wait for it to replenish, and then reinject it: boom more red blood cells
Old 05-19-20, 12:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 11502 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 726 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
A friend of mine who developed polycythemia vera found that he no longer got altitude sickness.

However, people who have polycythemia vera typically die from the blood clots. My friend has probably had a couple dozen stents put in over the years.

Given that we now know that massive blot clotting is one of the major sources of complications and death from SARS-CoV-2, administering EPO is quite possibly the worst way imaginable to increase oxygenation.

It does make me wonder if the clotting complications develop as a consequence of oxygen shortage -- i.e., the body cranks up its own production of EPO, and that in turn causes clotting? (This is merely speculative on my part.)

It might suggest suppressing natural over-expression of EPO could help prevent some of these complications.
Good point about clotting. But, there may be target ranges of HCT that would improve oxygenation at minimal risk.

I had an acquaintance a few years ago with the polycythemia. he had regular blood-letting. But, he also chain smoked, and perhaps it was in part related to carbon monoxide.
Old 05-19-20, 12:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 3,026 Times in 1,684 Posts
I spent a lot of my teens and some of my twenties high. Does that count for anything?