Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some cyclists and arrogance

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Some cyclists and arrogance

Old 05-19-20, 04:51 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
So this thread was on my mind today as i went out for my ride. Had a bunch of VO2 max intervals and then a long steady Z3 effort. In the recovery between the VO2 efforts, I saw a cyclist coming the other way. I nodded at him. The nod was returned. We both went our separate ways.

It wasnt as rewarding an experience as I thought it would be - frankly, I feel let down.
haha. next time, just flick him off and see how that makes u feel
Likes For eaglesandcycling:
Old 05-19-20, 04:53 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Show us on the doll where the mean arrogant cyclist touched you
i began to deeply weep in sorrow, crying for hours as this one very arrogant cyclist deeply hurt me, inside.. damn
Likes For eaglesandcycling:
Old 05-19-20, 05:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
It wasnt as rewarding an experience as I thought it would be - frankly, I feel let down.
You must have done it wrong. Try again. This should have been a lifestyle-affirming moment that warmed your soul.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-19-20, 07:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
By all accounts, Prague is a lovely city. Maybe OP could start a thread in the Blogger's section and post some photos of cycling through the area.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-20, 07:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8255 Post(s)
Liked 8,966 Times in 4,449 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
I am lycra-clad and very friendly. I won't even bully you for sounding like a out of touch journalist writing a story about lycra-clad cyclists. "Lycra-clad" is almost as smearing as "Lance wanna be". But I'll forgive you for the bit about carbon fiber, we all know what jerks those folks are.
You forgot "fully kitted" and "superman costumed".
Likes For big john:
Old 05-19-20, 07:54 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Amusing thread. I do find a fair bit of reverse snobbery in cycling and it has gotten worse more recently. Back in the seventies on my Raleigh SC and then Masi GC, I used to ride pretty fast and race occasionally. Don't remember running into much snobbery. Now that I am on old man and a bit slower I get the funniest looks from some when I ride my F8. Sure I can't do the bike justice but I am blessed enough to afford it and certainly enjoy riding it. That said the snobbery of some of the steel is real crowd that is my age can be overbearing too. I think it is more a sign of the times than the sport.
Likes For dmanders:
Old 05-19-20, 08:10 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You must have done it wrong. Try again. This should have been a lifestyle-affirming moment that warmed your soul.
So true story - despite my general jackassery on this thread, I do nod to other cyclists if i make eye contact (which admittedly is not often, as I am seldom paying attention to the opposite side of the road). So a few months ago, I waved to a couple of MTBers/hybrid riders going the other way -- and the wave was not returned!

What is the appropriate level of vengeance to extract in such a case?
Old 05-19-20, 08:12 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
By all accounts, Prague is a lovely city. Maybe OP could start a thread in the Blogger's section and post some photos of cycling through the area.
+1 to this. It's on my short list of countries to visit very soon, with bicycle.
Old 05-19-20, 08:13 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by carminepraha
haha. next time, just flick him off and see how that makes u feel
Btw, props to you for taking the (mostly) good-natured snark in your stride. See, we arent all that arrogant.
Old 05-19-20, 08:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
So true story - despite my general jackassery on this thread, I do nod to other cyclists if i make eye contact (which admittedly is not often, as I am seldom paying attention to the opposite side of the road). So a few months ago, I waved to a couple of MTBers/hybrid riders going the other way -- and the wave was not returned!

What is the appropriate level of vengeance to extract in such a case?
I'd say "u-lock justice," but since we're in Road and not Commuting, a frame pump co2 cannister in the spokes will have to do.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-19-20, 08:26 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3250 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
Everybody on a bicycle is my best friend because I may need their help, and would willingly give them mine, at some point in the ride. The only ones that are not my friends are groups that present health risks by riding in tight pacelines.
I’ve given three random cyclists rides home in the past two years that had some sort of ride ending mechanical. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Yesterday some guy was on the side of the road messing with his drivetrain so I stopped, put my mask on and asked if he needed help.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 05-19-20, 10:29 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I’m a friendly person and say hello to every cyclist I meet. Most say hello. Some don’t acknowledge my greeting at all. I don’t know why some cyclists are more friendly than others, but I do find myself disppaointed and even annoyed when my greeting is ignored.

By the way, why is cycling considered a sport? I thought that “sport” implied competition. Most cyclists ride for recreation, not competition.
Likes For jackb:
Old 05-19-20, 10:32 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I'll give a wave or nod to other cyclists and pedestrians in my conscious range.
These days I avoid other cyclists.
Old 05-19-20, 10:39 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm much more likely to wave to you the farther out from town we are. And in my experience, riders in team jerseys are much more likely to return the wave. I know that goes against the commonly held perception, but that's my personal observation.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-19-20, 10:54 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I’ve given three random cyclists rides home in the past two years that had some sort of ride ending mechanical. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Yesterday some guy was on the side of the road messing with his drivetrain so I stopped, put my mask on and asked if he needed help.
Thanks for doing that. Had a guy in a pickup give me a ride home one day when I suffered an irrecoverable ride-ending mechanical about 6 or 7 miles away from home and I couldn't reach my wife. Was pushing my bike home in my SPD-SL shoes (kick me while I'm down why doncha!) and the dude asks if I need a ride. I'm hoping to pay that forward someday. So far the closest I've come was pulling over on my bike and letting a guy use my chain breaker and quick link after he snapped his chain.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-19-20, 12:56 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yup. This is what kills me about that and the "southern charm" thing. Give me NY directness.

Often misunderstood as being blunt, brusque, impatient, or rude, the NY method is a major time saver with a built-in BS meter attached. There’s no malice or ill will involved, just an efficiency of communication.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-19-20, 01:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Often misunderstood as being blunt, brusque, impatient, or rude, the NY method is a major time saver with a built-in BS meter attached. There’s no malice or ill will involved, just an efficiency of communication.
If anyone has a problem with that, let me know and i'll explain it to you.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-19-20, 02:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Yep, nuance and subtlety don't work for everyone, bless their hearts.
Old 05-19-20, 03:04 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
This thread has gotten to me - I passed my wife in the hall and waved, she didn't wave back, actually she asked me why the F I was waving at her. Now I have to live forever with an arrogant elitist...
Likes For mprince:
Old 05-19-20, 03:57 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
I am lycra-clad and very friendly. I won't even bully you for sounding like a out of touch journalist writing a story about lycra-clad cyclists. "Lycra-clad" is almost as smearing as "Lance wanna be". But I'll forgive you for the bit about carbon fiber, we all know what jerks those folks are.
Eh, me too, the lycra works well... so why not wear it? After nearly 60 years of being american (all my life so far) we do suffer a media-cultural bullying about money and power.... The ones that do succumb to the hype-as-life, probably fit the OP's description....
Old 05-19-20, 03:58 PM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by mprince
This thread has gotten to me - I passed my wife in the hall and waved, she didn't wave back, actually she asked me why the F I was waving at her. Now I have to live forever with an arrogant elitist...
it’s actually hilarious how many here just assume i meant all of this in regards to waving or nodding to passing cyclists lol. I never even mentioned this at all. sux ur wife is an arrogant elitist. good luck!
Old 05-19-20, 03:59 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
So this thread was on my mind today as i went out for my ride. Had a bunch of VO2 max intervals and then a long steady Z3 effort. In the recovery between the VO2 efforts, I saw a cyclist coming the other way. I nodded at him. The nod was returned. We both went our separate ways.

I never feel let down as I am doing my biking equivalent to "namaste": recognizing the humanity in each person I nod to or wave at....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 05-19-20, 04:28 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I'm quite an Anglophile, but I think the US has this one. I think of inverse like this: the inverse of 3 is 1/3. Inverse snobbery would then be 1/snobbery, or just a fraction that gets closer and closer to zero the higher the original snobbery value. In a sense, "inverse snobbery" would be humility, or egalitarianism, or something else.

I've run into arrogant cyclists, but to be honest I don't think the cycling world of real people is overrepresented in this regard than the general population. For every dude who shows up to a group ride extremely pleased with himself because he imagines that his bike is more expensive than everyone else's, there are probably hundreds of folks who do the exact same with their cars, their gated housing communities, their cameras, their gaming computers, or any other hobby or money-pit we all like to gather around and empty our wallets. Most of the folks who I've met in group rides are very friendly, and I've enjoyed riding with them a lot. I can hardly wait for the Covid to fade away so the bike shops can start doing their group rides again.

He who is without sin, let him first cast a stone. Confession time: if I'm honest, I do sometimes feel a twinge of smugness when I blow by non-cyclist folks out toodling along on their random bikes. And by "random bikes" I just mean what most non-cyclists would think of as a bike. I wave to them all, of course, and they wave back.
Inversed just means "reversed". Literally, you can go look it up. With numbers it's muddled because it's not just that 3 becomes smaller, as in your example, but that 3/1 becomes 1/3. It's easier to see when you don't use whole numbers, such that 2/3 is the inverse of 3/2, and also the reverse.

Now, inverse/ reverse snobbery could also be interpreted as self-deprecation or excessive kudos to others, but for whatever reason that's not what we take it to mean.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-19-20, 06:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

it’s actually hilarious how many here just assume i meant all of this in regards to waving or nodding to passing cyclists lol. I never even mentioned this at all.
You're right, you never did specify how those guys hurt you!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-19-20, 07:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
sux ur wife is an arrogant elitist. good luck!
You never mentioned anything, and now you are insulting a member’s wife.

Sad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.