Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Inconsistent Chain Wear Measurements - Replace now or not?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 12:02 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

My main ride is the Novara. While preparing to clean and lube the chain, I measured it using the Park gauge (I now realize that many here don't think it's very accurate). While measuring, I found that the 0.50 indicator dropped in completely at some links, but completely stayed out at other points on the chain. At no point did the 0.75 gauge fit in. I'm at about 2,500 miles on this chain.

Is it common for chains to measure inconsistently like this? Should I replacement it now, or put a couple more hundred miles on it? Cleaning has been every 100 to 200 miles with a Park Cyclone, citrus cleaner, rinsed several times, and then dried thoroughly. The chain, a SRAM PC 850, has no surface rust. Most rides have been on blacktop, with occasional limestone trail rides.
Old 05-20-20, 12:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I would measure with a ruler, and continue to ride.

Seems unusual to have readings with the chain checker vary so much.

You may be wearing out the chain prematurely from excessive cleaning.
Old 05-20-20, 12:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Sounds like you're doing far more maintenance/cleaning then most do. That's good. That's why when many will have a nearly worn out chain (2500 miles) yours is still in good shape. But chains are cheap so if you want peace of mind replace it when you get too wrapped up in indecision. One aspect of chain wear few talk about and there are no measurements to be made for is the chain's lateral flex. This effects shifting, especially on the front. I've seen chains measure as not much worn but have significant side flex and a replacement sharpens up the shifting a bit. Andy
Old 05-20-20, 12:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I would measure with a ruler, and continue to ride.

Seems unusual to have readings with the chain checker vary so much.

You may be wearing out the chain prematurely from excessive cleaning.
What??? Andy
Old 05-20-20, 12:25 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
What??? Andy

Stripping all the lubricant out every 1-200 miles.
Old 05-20-20, 12:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
With a water-based cleaner, no less.

I re-lube my PC-850s with Chain-L every 500-1000 miles, and they're currently knocking on 5000 miles each without reaching the 1/16" wear point.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-20-20, 12:33 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I've used a rare earth magnet to attract steel wear particles flushed out of chains that had only been ridden 200-300 miles using mineral spirits, and the metallic sludge that was attracted to the magnet completely coated the magnet with a shockingly thick layer. I consider stripping out all the lubricant (and the gunk and wear debris it contains) from a chain to be a good thing, so long as one relubes afterwards.
Old 05-20-20, 01:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

And by doing so also removing the grit and abrasives then adding fresh and clean lube. If you go by your concerns it would be bad to change your car oil and filter every 1000 miles. (And I not suggesting that one does that, just that the engine would be used with less dirt in it).

I'll add that as long as the solvent is properly dried and no corrosion occurs then except for the amount of time and effort there is no elemental reason why doing what the OP does is bad. While the frequency might boarder on the OCD side of the usual I see no issues with it. Andy
Old 05-20-20, 01:44 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Is it common for chains to measure inconsistently like this? Should I replacement it now, or put a couple more hundred miles on it?
Not all that unusual to have uneven, measured wear. The chain needs to be pulled tight when you measure so make sure you check it this way. Measure with a ruler before replacing your chain and note if the measurement you get is similar to the chain tool. I find most chain checkers end up being overly pessimistic.
Old 05-20-20, 01:50 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 382 Posts
I use quick links on my chains and find that chain wear gauges tend to show more wear if the gauge straddles the link.
Old 05-20-20, 02:08 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
If it starts to slip or looks like garbage then replace it. Chain measurements are kind of silly if you are not a racer.
Old 05-20-20, 02:38 PM
woodcraft

And by doing so also removing the grit and abrasives then adding fresh and clean lube. If you go by your concerns it would be bad to change your car oil and filter every 1000 miles. (And I not suggesting that one does that, just that the engine would be used with less dirt in it).

I'll add that as long as the solvent is properly dried and no corrosion occurs then except for the amount of time and effort there is no elemental reason why doing what the OP does is bad. While the frequency might boarder on the OCD side of the usual I see no issues with it. Andy

Flushing a car engine with citrus degreaser and rinsing with water every thousand miles would not be a good thing, IMO.

The OP doesn't detail how thoroughly rinsed, how thoroughly dried after rinsing, how thoroughly and with what the chain is lubed.

I'm not a capillary action doubter, but can still imagine solvent & water remaining in the chain, preventing full lube, and those chain cleaners don't necessarily do much inside the chain where it matters.

Agree with SethAZ that cleaning after the initial wear-in period is good.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-20-20, 02:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I let a chain go too long last year, and had to replace chain, cassette, AND chainrings.

With that background, if the Park chain checker is showing that kind of uneven wear, I'd replace it. $15 for a chain? Lot cheaper than what stupid me paid.
Old 05-20-20, 02:40 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Toss the chain checker and measure with a ruler.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-20-20, 02:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
If it starts to slip or looks like garbage then replace it. Chain measurements are kind of silly if you are not a racer.
Again, this is obviously incorrect. You can use a chain w/o slipping to the point that it has negatively impacted the cassette. Replace the chain at the proper interval and the cassette will last through several chains. Wait until it skips and you will replace both chain and cassette each time.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-20-20, 03:08 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Chain wear is a complex issue. Some chains wear by elongation that can be measured with a precision rule and others like Campy chains do not. Some chain wear gauges add roller wear to elongation and give exaggerated results. Campy recommends measuring between the outer plates to a length of 132.6mm before changing chains. That measurement is a mixed bag of elongation and roller wear.

The idea that new lube, applied after chain cleaning won't penetrate properly is nonsense, but if a water based cleaner is used, the water must be removed before lubricating. I use naptha/white gas/camp stove fuel and allow a full day for the solvent to evaporate, but my wax lube uses the same solvent to dissolve the wax. I use several chains in a rotation and usually switch to a fresh chain about every 500 miles.
Old 05-20-20, 03:26 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Well, if you are not a racer or also not a person who wants to replace chainrings and cassettes more often.

I first learned about chain wear by riding a mountain bike until the chain was so worn that it eventually just snapped. I'm sure there were signs of things not working as well as they should have long before then that I just didn't have the experience to recognize. By the time the chain snapped the cassette cogs that were used a lot, and the large chainring were so badly shark-toothed and worn that I ended up having to replace them too. I'm firmly in the camp that measuring chain wear and discarding a chain that has crossed some threshold is a good idea.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-20-20, 03:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Flushing a car engine with citrus degreaser and rinsing with water every thousand miles would not be a good thing, IMO.

The OP doesn't detail how thoroughly rinsed, how thoroughly dried after rinsing, how thoroughly and with what the chain is lubed.

I'm not a capillary action doubter, but can still imagine solvent & water remaining in the chain, preventing full lube, and those chain cleaners don't necessarily do much inside the chain where it matters.

Agree with SethAZ that cleaning after the initial wear-in period is good.
At some point one has to trust that when someone says stuff, like " rinsed several times, and then dried thoroughly. The chain, a SRAM PC 850, has no surface rust " they are not fibbing. I guess that instead of doubting the OP's technique and it's description I chose to believe them. Others might wish to see wiggle room. Since I have no dog in this fight I'll move on. Andy
Old 05-20-20, 03:47 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Toss the chain checker and measure with a ruler.
Why?
If the chain checker shows good, a ruler isn't going to make it look bad.
If the chain checker shows bad, THEN measure with the ruler to verify.
The .5% mark on my CC is really .25%. As long s I know what it is, it's a quick tool that tends to keep my hands much cleaner.
IF I use a ruler/tape, I measure a 3' section and reduce my error from parallax etc. to 1/3. I don't know why people seem to insist on measuring just 12"?

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 05-20-20 at 03:52 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-20-20, 04:46 PM
woodcraft

At some point one has to trust that when someone says stuff, like " rinsed several times, and then dried thoroughly. The chain, a SRAM PC 850, has no surface rust " they are not fibbing. I guess that instead of doubting the OP's technique and it's description I chose to believe them. Others might wish to see wiggle room. Since I have no dog in this fight I'll move on. Andy

I don't doubt that the OP is doing what he's doing, but noticing that the chain is pretty worn for the mileage,

so the method may not be the best.

I'll move on as well. Cheers, Jay
Old 05-20-20, 07:39 PM
Alzerbster

Bikes: 2021 Verve 2018 Cannondale Adventure

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
I believe I wore out a chain, and cassette from cleaning to often. After I retired I started riding, which consisted 95% riding on crushed limestone trails. I bought my bike at the end of last May, and put 700 miles on it through the summer. I was cleaning and lubing my chain sometimes after every ride. At least every other ride. the limestone dust would coat my chain after every ride. I cleaned the chain with the Park chain cleaning tool, and de greaser, then with dawn dish soap and water, then rinse. Then I would apply a wet lube after the chain would dry. . At the end of last fall I decided to check my chain for any wear not expecting to find any. What I found was a worn out chain, which I replaced with a new one, which ended up slipping on the cassette. I then replaced the worn cassette. So a worn out chain and cassette in 700 miles. I believe with the wet lube, and limestone dust sticking to the chain, it created a grinding paste. Since I have gone to using paraffin wax which collects very little dirt. I ride with others that use a wet lube, but their chains don't wear out like mine did. So the constant cleaning must have had something to do with the chain wear. Maybe i didn't get the chain dry enough either after cleaning. Don't know, but I do know I'll never go back to a wet lube for the kind of riding I do.
Old 05-21-20, 10:13 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Until I joined BF I didn't know bikes chains even wore out. My old (1987) cheap mountain bike had 8,000 miles on it. I never changed the chain and seldom oiled it.and the drive train worked perfectly when I gave it away.

My new (2018) bike went into the shop for some repairs with only 1,000 km on it and the service person said the chain was stretched. Since it didn't cost much I had him change it even though I was suspicious about his assessment. Now I just measure it with a tape measure. If I get 12 1/16" (.5%) between I believe 24 links I might change it. I measured the replacement chain 1,000 km later and it measures exactly 12", as I expected.

I'm not fanatical about keeping my chain clean. I wipe it down with a paper towel and short bristle brush about every 200 - 300 km and re lube it with WD40 "Wet Bike Chain Lube".

Edit:

That 8,000 miles on my chain may have been on 2 bikes. I may have just moved the odometer from my old 10 speed. This would sound more reasonable. I weighed about 150 lbs and didn't do much tough riding on the mountain bike.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-21-20 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 12:50 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
2500 miles on a cheap 8 speed chain? Imo, get a new one and stop worrying about making it last forever.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 05-21-20, 01:02 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Until I joined BF I didn't know bikes chains even wore out. My old (1987) cheap mountain bike had 8,000 miles on it. I never changed the chain and seldom oiled it.and the drive train worked perfectly when I gave it away.

My new (2018) bike went into the shop for some repairs with only 1,000 km on it and the service person said the chain was stretched. Since it didn't cost much I had him change it even though I was suspicious about his assessment. Now I just measure it with a tape measure. If I get 12 1/16" (.5%) between I believe 24 links I might change it. I measured the replacement chain 1,000 km later and it measures exactly 12", as I expected.

I'm not fanatical about keeping my chain clean. I wipe it down with a paper towel and short bristle brush about every 200 - 300 km and re lube it with WD40 "Wet Bike Chain Lube".
Even if its not elongated to 0.5% the rollers might still be worn. Some chain gauges includes the roller wear, some not. That may be the reason the shop recommends replacing the chain, even if you ruler says no. Imo its debatable if roller wear should be included, but from my experience a chain that is not yet elongated to 0.5%, but has a lot of miles on it, tend to ride notably less smooth than a new one.
Old 05-21-20, 02:08 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Even if its not elongated to 0.5% the rollers might still be worn. Some chain gauges includes the roller wear, some not. That may be the reason the shop recommends replacing the chain, even if you ruler says no. Imo its debatable if roller wear should be included, but from my experience a chain that is not yet elongated to 0.5%, but has a lot of miles on it, tend to ride notably less smooth than a new one.
Good point, I never thought of that. I did have some trouble with the chain not fully engaging the gears when I got the bike. I may have turned the adjuster on the shifter and messed it up. I may have damaged the chain trying to get it to engage. I recently tried to adjust the front and rear derailleur's so now this Shimano Altus triple chain ring is shifting OK if I'm careful, and the rear is not jumping between gears any more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.