Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Attention Earthlings!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Attention Earthlings!

Old 05-18-20, 08:10 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
The "naive" explanation doesn't make sense. Previous Woodstock caused all sorts of logistical issues; Stones had experienced fan violence even in their early days & had been notified about problems after UK Angels "security" at the Hyde Park concert. No good reason at all to hire Oakland Angels esp with their known history of violence including attacks on anti-war protesters. We're supposed to believe that hundreds of CHP & county cops were content to let drug-addled hippies enjoy the Altamont show (only making 3 arrests for drunk in public) & not even interfere when Angels are stabbing spectators & whipping them with motorcycle chains in plain view of 1,000's of witnesses?
I’m not so sure what happened, because I wasn’t there, but I didn’t see any chains being swung. 🤔 That one biker said someone kicked a bike, which is clearly instigating trouble. Without choosing sides, we can safely say a lot of people get “brave” when using drugs and/or alcohol, and that was probably true on both sides. The whole issue was, they hired the wrong kind of people for doing security work in the first place. The Angels were known for disturbing the peace, not keeping it. 🙄😉

I think Mr. Jagger learned that the hard way, huh?
Old 05-18-20, 08:18 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Right at the beginning of the film, they have the Stones in a radio studio, and the leader of the Hell's Angel's, Sonny Barger, phones in and gives a long speech about how they didn't do nuthin' wrong, people were kicking our bikes etc.

The camera then turns to the Stones, and they were asking each other, "Who WAS that guy? Do you remember him?" "I think I MIGHT remember meeting him." The Angels and the Stones met maybe once in advance. You can't really expect the Rolling Stones, who were a bunch of Brits, to know who the hell the Hell's Angels are / were.

Anyway, I had forgotten how how much the film was about the Rolling Stones, probably 90% concert footage and interviews. There were some great informal studio sequences, like where the band sat around and listened to the final cut of "Wild Horses", apparently for the first time. You just don't see film footage like that every day.
Old 05-18-20, 11:00 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Is that an SR-71 Blackbird? Fastest manned aircraft ever flown? What's it doing there, looks like the military discarded it.

I have driven past that airfield many times, but never visited. I recall driving past during the Cold War, and seeing how they always had at least one B-52 bomber, already in the air, circling the airfield, "just in case".

Nice to know they have a Space Port.
Spotted this reference to the SR-71. In late '67 I was deplaning at Bien Hoa airbase after a 19 hr flight from N.J. Wee hours of the morning, twilight, and some non-com screaming at us to hustle and get off the tarmac! I'm thinking what's the rush? Did glimpse a strange, black aircraft I had never seen before on the tarmac nearby. As best I can from later research it was an SR-71. Found out 2 days later why the hurry on arrival. The airbase received one of it's fairly regular mortar and or rocket attacks.

​​​​​
Old 05-19-20, 09:18 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Right at the beginning of the film, they have the Stones in a radio studio, and the leader of the Hell's Angel's, Sonny Barger, phones in and gives a long speech about how they didn't do nuthin' wrong, people were kicking our bikes etc.

The camera then turns to the Stones, and they were asking each other, "Who WAS that guy? Do you remember him?" "I think I MIGHT remember meeting him." The Angels and the Stones met maybe once in advance. You can't really expect the Rolling Stones, who were a bunch of Brits, to know who the hell the Hell's Angels are / were.

Anyway, I had forgotten how how much the film was about the Rolling Stones, probably 90% concert footage and interviews. There were some great informal studio sequences, like where the band sat around and listened to the final cut of "Wild Horses", apparently for the first time. You just don't see film footage like that every day.
UK had it's own rowdy biker culture as shown in Brit movies that played in US theaters. Stones were fascinated by American culture & had spent much time in the USA so it's hard to believe that they didn't know about the Angels (subject of many movies & magazine articles).

I saw "Gimme Shelter" twice though not recently, IMO the Angels were put in specifically in the hope for some bad behavior & the stabbing incident massively boosted ticket sales for a low-budget movie with mediocre sound/music/cinematography, not to mention giving the MSM a convenient hook to put down youth idealism.
Old 05-20-20, 02:05 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Well, believe it or not, Berkeley is STILL a Nuclear Free Zone. 🙄😁😉

It took a lot longer than I expected, to get through Oakland and all the related neighborhoods, but I’m finally past it. There are definitely some steep hills around that whole area. 🙄

I did manage to buy a sensible bong, so maybe I’ll learn to smoke sensibly. 🤔😁😉
Old 05-26-20, 08:05 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Well, believe it or not, Berkeley is STILL a Nuclear Free Zone. 🙄😁😉

It took a lot longer than I expected, to get through Oakland and all the related neighborhoods, but I’m finally past it. There are definitely some steep hills around that whole area. 🙄
Yeah, I dunno how cyclists get up some of those steep hills, on some it's hard just to parallel-park a standard shift car. There was an old Kevin Bacon movie, Quicksilver, where he's a bike messenger in SF. Some cool scenes incl Olympic sprinter/former bike messenger Nelson Vails hurtling thru traffic & "artistic cycling" (trick riding on fixed-gear bikes).
Old 05-26-20, 09:39 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Yeah, I dunno how cyclists get up some of those steep hills, on some it's hard just to parallel-park a standard shift car. There was an old Kevin Bacon movie, Quicksilver, where he's a bike messenger in SF. Some cool scenes incl Olympic sprinter/former bike messenger Nelson Vails hurtling thru traffic & "artistic cycling" (trick riding on fixed-gear bikes).
Yep, I’ve seen Quicksilver a few times, cool movie. 👍 Here in Sacramento, where I’m at now, there are some pretty good grades, but very few hills, other than right by the rivers. But there’s a really nice bike trail, that goes along the American River, from downtown Sacramento, out to Folsom. I went out to Folsom this morning, but never got a pic of anything saying Folsom. Which would have been kinda cool, considering Johnny Cash’s references to it. 😎
Old 05-26-20, 10:04 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Yeah, I dunno how cyclists get up some of those steep hills, on some it's hard just to parallel-park a standard shift car. There was an old Kevin Bacon movie, Quicksilver, where he's a bike messenger in SF.
"After two weeks of rehearsal, principal photography began on November 3, 1984, in San Francisco, California, with a good deal of the filming taking place also in Los Angeles. Shooting locations in New York City were integrated, to comprise a non-specific urban setting for the film."