Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Re-plating chain ring gears ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-20, 01:24 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

I have a Colnago C40 with a mix of Record and Chorus groupset from Campy. The plating is coming off the chain ring gears and according to a local Campy dealer they are hard to find. Can they simply be re-plated?

Old 05-20-20, 02:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...gs-147021.html

RBR is suggesting nickel plating, although I'm not sure about the color. I was thinking anodized, but that doesn't look like an anodized surface coming loose.

You could try to remove the entire coating, and either polish or anodize the rings.

Hmm, that bronze color may be tough to find. E-Bay? Unfortunately the E-Bay pictures aren't very clear either.

I did pick up a set of Stronglight black ceramic chainrings a while ago that seem to be working well. In my cases, 53/34, 110bcd.
Old 05-20-20, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Post a photo of your bike.

Here is mine. It looks like I still had the "standard" cranks on it at that time.

Old 05-20-20, 02:42 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
I'd think the time and money to find scarce replacement rings would still present a substantial savings over removing the old coatings and getting them professionally re-coated. Unless, of course, you work at a plating shop.
Old 05-20-20, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
The spider part looks pretty awful as well. Time for a new crank?
Old 05-20-20, 02:57 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I agree that you're unlikely to get that job done cheaper than a set of new rings, even though they're hard to source. They can be found, ex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...EAAOSwku9ewsr7
Old 05-20-20, 03:00 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd think the time and money to find scarce replacement rings would still present a substantial savings over removing the old coatings and getting them professionally re-coated. Unless, of course, you work at a plating shop.
I agree, the old plating would need to be stripped, the rings polished to remove the pitting (if it could be) and the rings plated with (probably) copper as an adhesion layer then nickel, which would need to be buffed out. Since plating is typically charged by the lot, it would be uneconomical to process just two rings.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-20-20, 03:12 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The spider part looks pretty awful as well. Time for a new crank?

That is what Campagnolo Carbon Fiber cranks look like, even brand new.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-20-20, 03:26 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Buy a set of new replacement chainrings. Not only is the plating peeling off but the underlying aluminum appears to be badly corroded and may be damaged enough to not be trusted.
Old 05-20-20, 04:26 PM
bldegle2
Dangerous Old Man

Bikes: 2 custom built full Carbon road bikes, built by Moi...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Ebay, chainring set 53/39 130bcd, lots of hits. You should be able to replace the chainrings, both of them for $50 to $100 total, best solution other than a whole new crankset (maybe a compact), and certainly much cheaper than a plate job. Plus, you get new teeth, yours are probably worn a bit...
Likes For bldegle2:
Old 05-20-20, 04:42 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
I agree that you're unlikely to get that job done cheaper than a set of new rings, even though they're hard to source. They can be found, ex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...EAAOSwku9ewsr7
Thank you ! The crank in this case is the single Chorus item and I notice that part you posted was for a Record crank. Is there a way to know if they are interchangeable?
Old 05-20-20, 06:09 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Thank you ! The crank in this case is the single Chorus item and I notice that part you posted was for a Record crank. Is there a way to know if they are interchangeable?
This stretches the extent my Campy-dorkery, but I'm fairly certain that all the Campy 135 BCD chainrings will fit all Campy 135BCD cranks, these have the same tooth count, are for the same generation and number of speeds, and are in the same cosmetic finish, and when I google Campagnolo EPS C10 rings things come up advertising compatibility with Campy and Record, like NOS Campagnolo Record / Chorus 10 Speed UD EPS Chainring: 53T, 135mm, Silver/Polished - Bike Recyclery .