Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot Festina replica head-stem issue

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 05:07 AM
AussieMitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so I'd like to say that I'm very happy to be amongst the cycling community again...after an absence of 20 years! I'm 63 years old and walking was just not cutting it for me anymore (still walking but need more). So, I decided to buy myself a +20 yr old Peugeot instead. However, I don't think I can upload any photos of it yet. It came over from Germany (58 ctc) and I bought it from a guy in Armenia (returned from Germany recently), where I currently live. It's in pretty reasonable shape for it's age, though it had a drivetrain issue, which I fixed today with a new chain...now shifts beautifully using a mountain bike chain...left the sprockets alone, despite a bit of wear. My bike mechanic said, "If it's working...leave it alone." Chain rings of this type are not available in Armenia...so another time. Meanwhile everything's working fine except for my poor old body! I'm feeling muscles I didn't remember I had...all good though!

So, onto the head-stem issue. I've got a notch in the head-set (the old self-centering problem), so I'll need a new head-set. I'm not very mechanically minded, so I don't even know what size to order. Can anyone help me out please? Regards and safe riding all, Mitch
Old 05-21-20, 06:27 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The quickest, easiest and least expensive solution is to remove the caged bearings and replace them with loose ball bearings, This allows more bearings to carry the load but more importantly, alters the distance between bearings, preventing them aligning with the existing indents in the races.
Old 05-21-20, 10:53 AM
AussieMitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forums. The quickest, easiest and least expensive solution is to remove the caged bearings and replace them with loose ball bearings, This allows more bearings to carry the load but more importantly, alters the distance between bearings, preventing them aligning with the existing indents in the races.
Thanks so much T-Mar...sounds like a good option.
All the best,
Mitch
Old 05-21-20, 11:05 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by AussieMitch
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so I'd like to say that I'm very happy to be amongst the cycling community again...after an absence of 20 years! I'm 63 years old and walking was just not cutting it for me anymore (still walking but need more). So, I decided to buy myself a +20 yr old Peugeot instead. However, I don't think I can upload any photos of it yet. It came over from Germany (58 ctc) and I bought it from a guy in Armenia (returned from Germany recently), where I currently live. It's in pretty reasonable shape for it's age, though it had a drivetrain issue, which I fixed today with a new chain...now shifts beautifully using a mountain bike chain...left the sprockets alone, despite a bit of wear. My bike mechanic said, "If it's working...leave it alone." Chain rings of this type are not available in Armenia...so another time. Meanwhile everything's working fine except for my poor old body! I'm feeling muscles I didn't remember I had...all good though!

So, onto the head-stem issue. I've got a notch in the head-set (the old self-centering problem), so I'll need a new head-set. I'm not very mechanically minded, so I don't even know what size to order. Can anyone help me out please? Regards and safe riding all, Mitch
Nice to see another Peugeot Festina out there , For the record my Festina had a JIS sized headset. so try the added bearing trick first. but if you need to replace it have the size of the headset checked.

Is yours the Steel frame or Aluminum?

1998 Peugeot Festina
Old 05-21-20, 11:32 PM
AussieMitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks freslider, mine's the steel frame with the colourful downtube and standard fork. Thanks so much for responding. Safe riding,
regards Mitch
Old 05-21-20, 11:40 PM
AussieMitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@freslider...I've heard that Pinarello made the steel framed Festina replica, but really I've got no idea...can you shed any light on the subject? Regards, Mitch
Old 05-21-20, 11:43 PM
AussieMitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@freslider...btw...nice looking bike Mitch