Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 05-23-20, 07:28 PM
  #7076  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I don't even want them to have my data though, nor my rather high padding to their activities per week per user stats.
When this latest attempt to monetize fails I believe they are going to go to a pay to play format. I'm not going to give them money. Period. It was fun because it was free. If I have to pay for it it's not fun. I can ride my bike without it. There are plenty of free apps to record miles and data.
ls01 is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 07:57 PM
  #7077  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,618

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 635 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13512 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 276 Posts
Bah Humbug do you like Strava? You've been mum about the recent changes.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-23-20, 08:27 PM
  #7078  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,080

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7765 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
My kinda coffee maker, my kinda coffee.
One of my friends reps for Peets and is also an independent roaster.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-23-20, 08:29 PM
  #7079  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,080

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7765 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Bro, What's with the "Manwich" can?
The Manwich can makes the shot epic.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Old 05-23-20, 08:32 PM
  #7080  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,080

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7765 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I think Dad is lonely and manufactures computer issues to ask me about. He sends me an email with a question, then when I email back he immediately calls without fully reading. "Well now I know you're up."

__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Old 05-24-20, 03:38 AM
  #7081  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,437

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12330 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 800 Posts
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 05-24-20, 05:00 AM
  #7082  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,618

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 635 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13512 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
Put it on Pacific time.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 05:28 AM
  #7083  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,078

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 120 Posts
That's an eclectic counter you have there, bacon grease, coffee maker, cast iron pan, adjustable wrench, and a triple beam scale.
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 05:30 AM
  #7084  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,212

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
If only I knew how
kissTheApex is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 05:48 AM
  #7085  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,817

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5632 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Bah Humbug do you like Strava? You've been mum about the recent changes.
Ha, I was not quiet on the first non-Addiction thread, to the point where the ardent supporters were pissed off enough that I left.

It's crap. There's a psychological barrier where any amount of money (and miss me with the cup of coffee nonsense) changes the nature of the deal. When it's free, I'll put up with a lot of junkiness. As soon as they charge a single dollar, I am no longer a guest but a client, and that changes things. It's similar to how my expectations would change if you let me crash on your couch for a night on a cross-country drive vs if you charged me for it, even a nominal amount. When it's not longer a favor, the entire concept changes. There's a whole fascinating book about research into this called Predictably Irrational. I also don't trust Strava in the slightest. They ignore bugs forever, break features (like the BT sensor support, not that that's one I care about personally), break third parties intentionally, and generally act like poor digital citizens. Again, that's one thing when they're free, but if I were to pay a single dollar I'd have expectations about their quality and reliability of service that they've never demonstrated an interest in meeting. If they want to be a commercial service, they have to demonstrate professional quality, and I've never seen that out of them. Asking me to pay to enable that is up there with my ex who said "well if you marry me I'll change". I also don't need another social network; I already mostly ignore FB and IG, and completely ignore T. The more resources they pour into that side, the less I want to contribute.

Finally, this puts the stink of death on them - it seems their VC sugar daddies are tightening the purse strings in these pandemic times, and Strava is desperate to make money. If this attempt fails (which it probably will, when you read below) they'll either fail or have to be yet more draconian to try to convert free into paid users.

This article sums it up even better: https://medium.com/@cosmocatalano/on...k-b6928d6e8b5b
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 05:55 AM
  #7086  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,817

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5632 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
Generally it's about when you feed them. I never fed my boy until at least an hour after I usually woke up.

Now this morning, after blowing my legs into oblivion with 6x4' VO2 max intervals yesterday, I slept in until 6:25 instead of my normal 5:15 at best. As soon as coffee is finished it'll be a scramble to get the bikes ready.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 06:16 AM
  #7087  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,864

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
You feed it late at (or during the) night.
__________________
Well look what the cat dragged in. Such a fine addition to the thread





seedsbelize is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 06:16 AM
  #7088  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,039

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13136 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Ha, I was not quiet on the first non-Addiction thread, to the point where the ardent supporters were pissed off enough that I left.

It's crap. There's a psychological barrier where any amount of money (and miss me with the cup of coffee nonsense) changes the nature of the deal. When it's free, I'll put up with a lot of junkiness. As soon as they charge a single dollar, I am no longer a guest but a client, and that changes things. It's similar to how my expectations would change if you let me crash on your couch for a night on a cross-country drive vs if you charged me for it, even a nominal amount. When it's not longer a favor, the entire concept changes. There's a whole fascinating book about research into this called Predictably Irrational. I also don't trust Strava in the slightest. They ignore bugs forever, break features (like the BT sensor support, not that that's one I care about personally), break third parties intentionally, and generally act like poor digital citizens. Again, that's one thing when they're free, but if I were to pay a single dollar I'd have expectations about their quality and reliability of service that they've never demonstrated an interest in meeting. If they want to be a commercial service, they have to demonstrate professional quality, and I've never seen that out of them. Asking me to pay to enable that is up there with my ex who said "well if you marry me I'll change". I also don't need another social network; I already mostly ignore FB and IG, and completely ignore T. The more resources they pour into that side, the less I want to contribute.

Finally, this puts the stink of death on them - it seems their VC sugar daddies are tightening the purse strings in these pandemic times, and Strava is desperate to make money. If this attempt fails (which it probably will, when you read below) they'll either fail or have to be yet more draconian to try to convert free into paid users.

This article sums it up even better: https://medium.com/@cosmocatalano/on...k-b6928d6e8b5b
I'm pretty sure that he was exercising his mousy sense of humor humour.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-24-20, 06:17 AM
  #7089  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,039

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13136 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,352 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
I find that angry flailing helps.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 05-24-20, 06:28 AM
  #7090  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,817

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5632 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I'm pretty sure that he was exercising his mousy sense of humor humour.
In my defense, coffee still has not kicked in yet. I thought he hadn't seen the other thread.

Riding in 35 minutes. For once I will be very fine to cruise along at Z1 power.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-24-20, 06:31 AM
  #7091  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,039

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13136 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
In my defense, coffee still has not kicked in yet. I thought he hadn't seen the other thread.

Riding in 35 minutes. For once I will be very fine to cruise along at Z1 power.
My coffee has kicked in, now I'm just waiting for it to uh, kick in so that I can head out on a ride, myself. Going to shoot for 90%, but will see how I'm feeling.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 05-24-20, 06:38 AM
  #7092  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,662

Bikes: Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 448 Posts
I've woken up with a sore throat, actually started before I went to bed last night. I'm going to chalk it up to allergies for now. Yeah, it's probably allergies.
@datlas We have free testing for everyone, symptoms or not, in my city but what's the point? My neighbors tested negative but could be positive next week. It just seems like a waste of resources to test everyone regardless of symptoms or exposure.
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 06:41 AM
  #7093  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,662

Bikes: Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
My coffee has kicked in, now I'm just waiting for it to uh, kick in so that I can head out on a ride, myself. Going to shoot for 90%, but will see how I'm feeling.
I screwed up my coffee this AM. I have a new bag of beans and even though I had the grind # written down, the first double shot grind was coarse, readjust and the second double was too coarse,also.

Going to have to readjust and wait an hour or two before trying again.
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 06:48 AM
  #7094  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,817

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5632 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I screwed up my coffee this AM. I have a new bag of beans and even though I had the grind # written down, the first double shot grind was coarse, readjust and the second double was too coarse,also.

Going to have to readjust and wait an hour or two before trying again.
There's an old Fox Trot comic about "the old needing a cup of coffee before you make the coffee" paradox. The simplicity of pourover is part of its appeal.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 07:03 AM
  #7095  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,014
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11419 Post(s)
Liked 3,060 Times in 1,701 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
I must have slept through mine because I found him cuddling me at 7:30 this morning. We stayed in bed another hour.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-24-20, 07:05 AM
  #7096  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,039

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13136 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I screwed up my coffee this AM. I have a new bag of beans and even though I had the grind # written down, the first double shot grind was coarse, readjust and the second double was too coarse,also.

Going to have to readjust and wait an hour or two before trying again.


The good news is that, once you get it, you get it, and it's a considerably easier. The bad news is that this time of year, the big temp and (importantly) humidity changes can affect how a given grind fineness will pull. I can go the whole winter, with low relative humidity in the house, making only occasional, small adjustments. Not so right now.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 05-24-20, 07:09 AM
  #7097  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,662

Bikes: Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
There's an old Fox Trot comic about "the old needing a cup of coffee before you make the coffee" paradox. The simplicity of pourover is part of its appeal.
I tried and tried pour overs and finally gave away my pour over equipment to a friend. POs are very smooth but I like my coffee hot and rich which I never could achieve with a pour over.
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 07:13 AM
  #7098  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,662

Bikes: Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7434 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I must have slept through mine because I found him cuddling me at 7:30 this morning. We stayed in bed another hour.
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-24-20, 07:36 AM
  #7099  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,618

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 635 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13512 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I'm pretty sure that he was exercising his mousy sense of humor humour.
Maybe blue font would have helped?
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 05-24-20, 07:36 AM
  #7100  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 1,514

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
How do you change the setting on an alarm cat? I would not mind sleeping in until say 6:30 on a lazy Sunday morning.
We tried feeding extra just before we go to bed. In the hopes the cats would sleep in. Didn't work, but they now expect to be fed just before we go to bed.
ericy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.