Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Giant Revolt 2 2020 Aluminum Gravel Bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Giant Revolt 2 2020 Aluminum Gravel Bike

Old 05-23-20, 05:15 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
That’s fine. Maybe if more people did long term reviews on more budget friendly bikes like this, then there would be more talk.
Likes For DarKris:
Old 05-24-20, 02:05 AM
Machoman121

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Apparently neither of you understand that hole's purpose.

It's a feature, not a fault.
A feature?? not sure if you meant that as a cynical joke.

I'm sure the marketing blurb won't come out and say hey boss - we got proposed this cheaper way to provide this frame with internal routing - we won't complete the weld on the down bottom bracket junction - we'll leave a nice big hole so the cables can come out of it - most people don't know about it (because who looks under the bottom bracket anyway). we're making a bunch of it for the other brands and you can have it too.

It's a very sloppy, lazy and cheaper way to have your cables internally routed - quite amateurishly designed if you ask me ....like a 1st version/ prototype of how to internally route a cable. I'm not talking about the way it looks - from an engineering point of view missing so much weld is a weaker design than a fully welded version.

And can you imagine the amount of crap a hole like that collects in the bike...over time...

i remember admiring the Norco Search and as the salesman returned the bike to the higher rack i saw the 'hole'....it really floored me. I would have missed it if the bike was on the ground.

I hope they keep on coming out with bikes designed like that......it'll cure my N+1 itch. I won't be buying them.

Last edited by Machoman121; 05-24-20 at 02:20 AM.
Likes For Machoman121:
Old 05-24-20, 06:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by Machoman121
A feature?? not sure if you meant that as a cynical joke.

I'm sure the marketing blurb won't come out and say hey boss - we got proposed this cheaper way to provide this frame with internal routing - we won't complete the weld on the down bottom bracket junction - we'll leave a nice big hole so the cables can come out of it - most people don't know about it (because who looks under the bottom bracket anyway). we're making a bunch of it for the other brands and you can have it too.

It's a very sloppy, lazy and cheaper way to have your cables internally routed - quite amateurishly designed if you ask me ....like a 1st version/ prototype of how to internally route a cable. I'm not talking about the way it looks - from an engineering point of view missing so much weld is a weaker design than a fully welded version.

And can you imagine the amount of crap a hole like that collects in the bike...over time...

i remember admiring the Norco Search and as the salesman returned the bike to the higher rack i saw the 'hole'....it really floored me. I would have missed it if the bike was on the ground.

I hope they keep on coming out with bikes designed like that......it'll cure my N+1 itch. I won't be buying them.
This is a genuine request- not snark: can you cite an example of this sort of cable routing causing any problems with the frame? A failure, crack, break? With everything being on the Internet nowadays, it seems like - if such a thing had ever happened – it would be easy to find.
Old 05-24-20, 12:38 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
This is a genuine request- not snark: can you cite an example of this sort of cable routing causing any problems with the frame? A failure, crack, break? With everything being on the Internet nowadays, it seems like - if such a thing had ever happened – it would be easy to find.
Frame crack, frame failure? about the same % as a huffy Cranbrook frame. Are there reasons we choose to ride other bikes rather than Cranbrooks. you bet!

My point is some dislike walmart bikes and call them trash, Some call these modern Aluminum frame designs trash....

Who are you to judge who can call what bikes are trash, and what bikes are not?
Old 05-24-20, 12:57 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Metieval
Frame crack, frame failure? about the same % as a huffy Cranbrook frame. Are there reasons we choose to ride other bikes rather than Cranbrooks. you bet!

My point is some dislike walmart bikes and call them trash, Some call these modern Aluminum frame designs trash....

Who are you to judge who can call what bikes are trash, and what bikes are not?
You can call it whatever you wish, and you can buy – or not buy - whatever you wish. But until you can cite one single example of an actual problem that’s caused by the design, you should perhaps stop acting as if it is some kind of crime against nature.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-24-20, 05:17 PM
Metieval

You can call it whatever you wish, and you can buy – or not buy - whatever you wish. But until you can cite one single example of an actual problem that’s caused by the design, you should perhaps stop acting as if it is some kind of crime against nature.
It's life, we all have opinions, some will differ from yours, get over it! also known as 'Quit being the thought police'. No one hired you to be such.
Old 05-24-20, 07:03 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Metieval
It's life, we all have opinions, some will differ from yours, get over it! also known as 'Quit being the thought police'. No one hired you to be such.
Unless we’re talking about favorite ice cream flavors and such, I try to inform my opinions with actual evidence and facts. But that’s just me.
Old 05-24-20, 07:06 PM
Metieval

I have actual experience, which is as close to fact as it gets. The Frame design sucks!
Even swapping the ST to outboard Ultegra still didn't fix the BB flex.

Old 06-04-20, 06:16 AM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
What bike is that?
Old 06-04-20, 10:43 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Machoman121
What bike is that?
my picture, a trek Crossrip, which Trek dropped because it wasn't selling... I really regret on not doing an extended test ride before buying

However many years later Giant, Salsa and many more are all doing AL frames the same way now.
Old 06-06-20, 02:18 AM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Checked out Cannondale Topstone AL - it has it too. I must have looked like an idiot today - bike shop boss told me it was to allow water to come out of the frame !! Wow - i learnt something today.

It's pretty obvious now all these AL gravel frames have been sourced from the same factory, no matter the brand.

At this rate - all AL bikes going forward could have this 'feature' !!!!!

Last edited by Machoman121; 06-06-20 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 05:39 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Well since I don't want this thread to continue to being de-railed:

Got new Teravail Rutland 700c x 47mm tires in durable casing/tan sidewalls. A bit on the expensive side, but they fit & provide better clearance than the Ground Controls. Measure ~46mm at 44 PSI on the stock 19mm Giant rims.

Also I just realized I never posted showing the GRX 1x11 sooooo...

Last edited by DarKris; 06-07-20 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 09:49 PM
Machoman121

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

You might want to try to somehow cover up that gaping hole at the downtube/bottom bracket - came across this video - he found his garden in the bottom bracket - the amount of dirt that hole lets in is ridiculous.