Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Some cyclists and arrogance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Some cyclists and arrogance

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 12:03 PM
Fernleaf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carminepraha
I'm of course not speaking about ALL by any means but what is it about cyclists (especially roadies) who have this certain arrogance/elitist attitude about them? Guess cuz it can be quite a pricey sport maybe?
LMAO. If anyone passes me and I fail to wave it is because I am of an age that I need both hands on the handlebars and both eyes on the road. However, if stopped for something I will be more talkative than one would like. So best to just let me stroll on by on my not too expensive but good enough for me bike. I hike more than I bike actually, and have found there are times, especially on a crowded trail that I just want to be left alone to my thoughts, solitude. I start out saying hello to other trailblazers, but after a while I am ready to quietly go my way. So perhaps there are those much more experienced bikers than I am who feel the same way. I hike or bike for peace of mind and often just get in a zone in my head where I don't want that spell broken. Kind of like active meditation.
Old 05-25-20, 12:12 PM
greengo
Riding the Greek Isles...

Bikes: Fuji roubaix pro / Specialized Road bike / Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I do a partial wave (hands never leaving the bar or hoods) to everyone - some wave back, some don't - doesn't change my routine, I still wave
I have noticed during my years of riding that mountain bikers seem to be acknowledge the wave more than roadies seem to
who knows why?
as far as being arrogant - the only time I am arrogant with my "roadiness" is when any of my non cycling friends or coworkers make jabs at me for wearing cycling shorts, jerseys, etc...
then my usual response is - go out for a ride with me & then you can make fun of me all you want...
Old 05-25-20, 01:54 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Same old, same old. Their bike cost more, they must be an ass. I've learned that what we in the US call "reverse snobbery" is called "inverse snobbery" in the UK. Still pondering which term is most descriptive.
You’d be very lucky to receive any acknowledgment in the UK, either riding or walking.
Old 05-25-20, 02:50 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Have you ever asked yourself why you wave to other cyclists?

When I was riding motorcycles, the same stupid threads on moto forums were common; "some guy on a (insert bike brand/type here) didn't wave back to me so they, and by extension, anyone riding that brand/type of motorcycle is an elitist jerk".

I would say in general I am a waiver, but mostly that is because of the type of rider I am. I'm riding a bike as a way to enjoy the outdoors, explore new roads, and generally have fun. I wave at others as a way of sharing an experience. Like saying "Man, I am having a great time on my ride today, how about you?"

I also realize that everyone I wave to may not be having the same kind of experience as me. Perhaps they are on a rigorous training ride, or on their way to work, or thinking about some difficult time they are going through and not necessarily enjoying their ride same way I am. It doesn't bother me in the least if someone waves or not and I think it's a bit self centered to think poorly about someone because they didn't acknowledge your wave. Maybe it wasn't a slight to you. Maybe they just didn't feel like it.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-25-20, 04:37 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
It doesn't bother me in the least if someone waves or not and I think it's a bit self centered to think poorly about someone because they didn't acknowledge your wave. Maybe it wasn't a slight to you. Maybe they just didn't feel like it.
Exactly, this.

It's extremely narcissistic and self-absorbed to think you get to dictate someone's level of enjoyment of an activity by whether or not they do something you think they should do.

Your ride is about you. Everyone's else's ride is about them. You don't get to make other people's rides about you.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 05-25-20, 05:48 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carminepraha
I see your point but it just seems a bit more in this sport..maybe im totally wrong tho
No you're 100 % correct.
Old 05-25-20, 09:24 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by greengo
I have noticed during my years of riding that mountain bikers seem to be acknowledge the wave more than roadies seem to
who knows why?
Cos they are going too slow..?

I was doing anaerobic intervals today and passed a guy on a hybrid just as i was starting to ramp up, about 5 seconds into the interval (really strong headwinds too, so i was going fairly slowly). As I pass him, I heard him say "hi".

a) Under normal circumstances, I would not have heard someone behind me unless they yelled, and he would have likely thought me a dick
b) I gave him a raised hand acknowledgement, if for no other reason than to avoid the risk that he was a member here and would start another thread about arrogant roadies.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-25-20, 10:45 PM
plittle2005

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BenBoozer
My mom used to tell me when I complained about the "other" kids in school growing up (only black kid in my class thru grade 6) that I have no control over how someone responds to me because their response is based on how they are feeling about themselves. She was a very smart lady.
This is the defining post in this thread! Just remember this one, and we can all just keep crankin' right on by, and never let an unreturned wave ruin our day!
Old 05-26-20, 01:54 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
You’d be very lucky to receive any acknowledgment in the UK, either riding or walking.
Rubbish. I get a nod, a wave, a hello from 99% of other cyclists and walkers.
Likes For SurferCyclist:
Old 05-26-20, 05:57 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
Rubbish. I get a nod, a wave, a hello from 99% of other cyclists and walkers.
You must live in the more friendly North😊
Old 05-26-20, 06:50 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
You must live in the more friendly North😊
Nope in Pembrokeshire West Wales and yes do get the odd wannabe who ignores a wave but like I said 99% respond.
Old 05-26-20, 08:32 AM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I guess, i don’t understand. A detail or two why cyclists/roadies seem arrogant to you might help me understand.

I’ve certainly run into a handful of roadies that won’t even say hi. Conversely, most of my roadie friends are easy going beer drinkers.
Old 05-26-20, 11:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
I guess, i don’t understand. A detail or two why cyclists/roadies seem arrogant to you might help me understand.

I’ve certainly run into a handful of roadies that won’t even say hi. Conversely, most of my roadie friends are easy going beer drinkers.
They just don't understand "Minnesota Nice" over in Czech.
Old 05-26-20, 01:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
A lot of roadies are like my dog. Super friendly towards family and friends and a ***** to everyone else.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-26-20, 04:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Snobs? Cyclists?
You have not been around the tennis, golf, boating or swimming pool crowd lately.

and I hear the polo stands are vicious of late

and certainly you've never tried to join a Harley fan club as a Vespa owner - brutal.

not sure between terns and herons - don't join a serious birding group.

drone owners will guffaw at your cute little remote control airplane.
Old 05-28-20, 06:16 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I think we need to resurrect this thread; it's been awhile since on the front page:

WE'RE GOING TO YELL AT YOU
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-28-20, 07:52 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
OP, i see you have a new name. What is Eagle Sand Cycling?
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-28-20, 12:17 PM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Snobs? Cyclists?
You have not been around the tennis, golf, boating or swimming pool crowd lately.

and I hear the polo stands are vicious of late

and certainly you've never tried to join a Harley fan club as a Vespa owner - brutal.

not sure between terns and herons - don't join a serious birding group.

drone owners will guffaw at your cute little remote control airplane.

Or on the model railroading forums, where the percent or two of the membership who work for an actual railroad regard all the other members as "just playing with toys".
Old 05-28-20, 12:25 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
I see your point but it just seems a bit more in this sport..maybe im totally wrong tho
Cycling is a sport for people with a bit of disposable income, like golf the arrogance is north of the greater population IMHO.
Old 05-28-20, 12:36 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
On a more serious note, will I lose a full watt if I lift a finger as a mini-wave acknowledgement while in the drops with elbows and shoulders tucked? On a long ride I might have to finger wave 100 times. This could add up.
Old 05-28-20, 01:31 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
Cycling is a sport for people with a bit of disposable income, like golf the arrogance is north of the greater population IMHO.
I'm a cyclist and a golfer, and I don't feel elitist or arrogant doing either, and I wave or head nod to just about everyone I see when cycling: cyclists, runners, dog walkers, skateboarders, etc, because there's a kinship with all of us just getting out and enjoying the outdoors. But if I were to think in that "arrogant" vein, I definitely feel more self-pride when I'm cycling, than when golfing. Maybe that's because golf is such an easy-on-the-body sport, and cycling, for me, is a masochistic sufferfest.
Old 05-28-20, 01:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
On a more serious note, will I lose a full watt if I lift a finger as a mini-wave acknowledgement while in the drops with elbows and shoulders tucked? On a long ride I might have to finger wave 100 times. This could add up.
Get some finger cots – they're like little tiny skin suits.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-28-20, 02:18 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
Originally Posted by Riveting
I'm a cyclist and a golfer, and I don't feel elitist or arrogant doing either, and I wave or head nod to just about everyone I see when cycling: cyclists, runners, dog walkers, skateboarders, etc, because there's a kinship with all of us just getting out and enjoying the outdoors. But if I were to think in that "arrogant" vein, I definitely feel more self-pride when I'm cycling, than when golfing. Maybe that's because golf is such an easy-on-the-body sport, and cycling, for me, is a masochistic sufferfest.
Maybe just a Tennessee thing
Old 05-28-20, 02:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
OP, i see you have a new name. What is Eagle Sand Cycling?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-28-20, 06:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
I used the word Drone in a post - here come those arrogant drone dealerships ads,
always trying to upgrade my lifestyle,
when they should already have profiled me to know
I'm plenty high on my current hobbies,
which do not include things with motors!
Mowing the lawn is Not a hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.