Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

114 miles on a ~1970 Schwinn Continental. Rule number 5....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

114 miles on a ~1970 Schwinn Continental. Rule number 5....

Old 05-25-20, 09:14 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Creative rack
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-25-20, 09:34 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
$165 is a lot of money for this bike but it's not a crazy price given that it's NYC and pandemic pricing.

The riding in the Catskills is very fine. I'd check out some of the local clubs and see if you can get their routes. I know the Mid Hudson bike club does some riding there. Also check out the Gunks for bike riding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawangunk_Ridge
Thanks for the tip, the Gunks are a bit closer to me and checking google maps it looks like I can put together a pretty good ride out of Poughkeepsie heading west over the river and into the mountains, as of now the weather is looking good up there next sunday :-)
Old 05-25-20, 11:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Great post!
Good ride.
Heavy wooden boxes? Oh well, we all have our weaknesses and fetishes. How about a wooden or bamboo DIY frame kit. Something to really stick your saw into.
Old 05-25-20, 03:07 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Heavy wooden boxes?
Its probably 2 pounds or so, not bad considering the weight of the bike itself, but I'll probably take it off the bike and cut a bunch of holes in it this week to lighten it up for next weekends ride.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
How about a wooden or bamboo DIY frame kit. Something to really stick your saw into.
I've seen a few around, they're neat, but if I was going to build a frame it would be steel, likely lugged, but maybe brazed.
Old 05-25-20, 03:22 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I had a friend that rode his Continental from the Detroit area to Upstate NY and back with his clothes and a view camera to attend photography school.
Old 05-25-20, 04:31 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 972 Posts
Un-be-freakin-lievable! Connect with noglider. He'll show you some hills upstate.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 05-25-20, 04:37 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
Its probably 2 pounds or so, not bad considering the weight of the bike itself, but I'll probably take it off the bike and cut a bunch of holes in it this week to lighten it up for next weekends ride.

snip . . . .
I think this just gives a whole new meaning to drillium,
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-25-20, 06:56 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by ascherer
Un-be-freakin-lievable! Connect with noglider. He'll show you some hills upstate.
Thanks for the tip! I'll send a PM this week when I have a better idea of weather and see what he suggests :-)

Originally Posted by bikemig
I think this just gives a whole new meaning to drillium,
I wish I had a drill press and some hole saws on this jobsite! I'll do some cool straight line cut weight reduction though :-)
Old 05-31-20, 07:17 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Jack, you're my new hero, bumping Greg LeMond out of the top spot. You don't need to HTFU, you're already there.
Ditto...Jack you are the pure deal, bro!

​​​The 70 Continental screams nostalgia from my wonder years growing up in Montclair NJ, where we all rode Schwinns. That bike was built to last 100 years. And your custom wooden rack screams "no spandex or Strava here, baby"... Just pure cycling experience, pure JOY!

Bravo, Jack....BRAVO 😎👍🌄
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 06-01-20, 08:12 AM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Drillium cargo box 👍... Even more style points...😎
Old 06-01-20, 10:57 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 257 Posts
They are extremely durable bicycles that are fine riders if you do not mind the weight.
It appears that yours may have the GT-120 (shimano built for schwinn that was factory equipment on the FIVE Speed Suburban and Collegiate) which the Chicago production line would sometimes install on Continentals and Varsitys when the immediate supply of the junky Huret Alvit-schwinn approved model was out.
THAT IS THE ONLY ESSENTIAL NECESSARY UPGRADE ON ANCIENT SCHWINN VARSITY and SCHWINN CONTINENTALS, AS THE HURET ALVIT IS TRASH COMPARED TO maeda SUNTOUR, Shimano Lark, -Skylark-, Eagle and any other Shimano rear derailleurs of that era, including the GT-100 (made for Schwinn and original equipment on 1970 Collegiate five speed and 1970 to very early 1974 Collegiates and FIVE Speed Suburbans, and the GT-120 ( from Feb 1974 on Collegiate/5speedSuburban).

The ONE PIECE ashtabula forged steel crank is a marvel of simplicity and durability. Any 11 year old kid can learn to service the #64 caged bottom bracket bearings in twenty minutes. The Schwinn 39 / 52 front crankwheel with its integrated pants leg chainguard is very practical. Heck Yeah, it is all WEIGHT adding but what the heck because it never pretended to be a lightweight although it was characterized by SCHWINN as in the "LIGHTWEIGHT" category in the context of Schwinn's everyday economical mass production bicycles from the Chicago facility. Compared to the beach cruisers without balloon tires which were called middleweights and the heavier balloon tire bikes which were classified as heavyweights.

It is great to see someone enjoying a vintage Schwinn.
These old electroforged Schwinn bikes are much better than most folks realize.
These old bikes have incredible utility value as a simple basic bicycle with supreme durability, even if they have no market value.

STAY THIN, RIDE A SCHWINN..................that huge amount of extra weight will just add to your exercise regimen.

Ride On!
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 06-02-20, 11:08 AM
Crazier Dave

Bikes: Punch Minstrel Leader, Raleigh Gran Prix, 1985 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is interesting to me because I am the proud owner of the worlds heaviest light-weight bike, the Schwinn Varsity. My neighbor, who collected Schwinn Stingray bikes left it out for trash pickup when he moved. He decided that it was not worth is time trying to sell it. It was in near perfect mechanical and cosmetic appearance and was my size. I just finished up work on my Puch, and it was going to be my next project. All it really needs is adjustments, cleaning and new brake pads. This was the bike when I was growing up in the 70's and I think it will be fun to ride. This thread really made me want to get it back up and running!
Likes For Crazier Dave:
Old 06-10-20, 08:40 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
They are extremely durable bicycles that are fine riders if you do not mind the weight.
It appears that yours may have the GT-120 (shimano built for schwinn that was factory equipment on the FIVE Speed Suburban and Collegiate) which the Chicago production line would sometimes install on Continentals and Varsitys when the immediate supply of the junky Huret Alvit-schwinn approved model was out.
THAT IS THE ONLY ESSENTIAL NECESSARY UPGRADE ON ANCIENT SCHWINN VARSITY and SCHWINN CONTINENTALS, AS THE HURET ALVIT IS TRASH COMPARED TO maeda SUNTOUR, Shimano Lark, -Skylark-, Eagle and any other Shimano rear derailleurs of that era, including the GT-100 (made for Schwinn and original equipment on 1970 Collegiate five speed and 1970 to very early 1974 Collegiates and FIVE Speed Suburbans, and the GT-120 ( from Feb 1974 on Collegiate/5speedSuburban).

The ONE PIECE ashtabula forged steel crank is a marvel of simplicity and durability. Any 11 year old kid can learn to service the #64 caged bottom bracket bearings in twenty minutes. The Schwinn 39 / 52 front crankwheel with its integrated pants leg chainguard is very practical. Heck Yeah, it is all WEIGHT adding but what the heck because it never pretended to be a lightweight although it was characterized by SCHWINN as in the "LIGHTWEIGHT" category in the context of Schwinn's everyday economical mass production bicycles from the Chicago facility. Compared to the beach cruisers without balloon tires which were called middleweights and the heavier balloon tire bikes which were classified as heavyweights.

It is great to see someone enjoying a vintage Schwinn.
These old electroforged Schwinn bikes are much better than most folks realize.
These old bikes have incredible utility value as a simple basic bicycle with supreme durability, even if they have no market value.

STAY THIN, RIDE A SCHWINN..................that huge amount of extra weight will just add to your exercise regimen.

Ride On!
Thanks for some background info on this bike!!

Stay thin, ride a schwinn!! Thats so good! I'm totally fine with the extra exercise, I primarily ride bikes to deprive my brain of oxygen as thats the best way to show it who is actually in charge! I love fast/light/efficient bikes as well, but I can totally appreciate most any bike :-)

My laptop quit on my while I was out east, I'm back home now on an old laptop. I did not get out the following weekend due to circumstances out of my control :-(

My project manager lives not too far from where I was working in New Jersey and I was able to leave the bike at his house so at some point in the future I will be putting down some more rides on this bike!

I didn't check, but I believe the pedals have 1/2" spindels, yea? I'd love to bring out some clipless pedals, but 1/2" SPD pedals are something that I have not been able to find anywhere when I looked for some for my Dahon that has 1/2" pedals on it. Maybe I should buy some dies and attempt to rethread pedal spinleds now that I think I need 2 sets of them. I'm sure pedal spindle steel is very hard, so I'm not sure how much sucess I'll have, hmmm....
Old 06-10-20, 08:43 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
Ditto...Jack you are the pure deal, bro!

​​​The 70 Continental screams nostalgia from my wonder years growing up in Montclair NJ, where we all rode Schwinns. That bike was built to last 100 years. And your custom wooden rack screams "no spandex or Strava here, baby"... Just pure cycling experience, pure JOY!

Bravo, Jack....BRAVO 😎👍🌄
Thanks!

I was actually working in Orange New Jersey last fall and would eat at a couple Vegan restaurants up in Montclair a couple times a week when I was there!
Old 06-10-20, 08:59 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
missed this thread until today. Great story and 100+ miles on a Continental is a "character builder" for sure. You're a better man for it

I love my all original '75 and it does better on group rides than I expected, as long as it's not a hammer-fest night.
Old 06-10-20, 09:12 AM
Kwest
Advocate

Bikes: Too many really

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I remember in Jr. High when most kids were riding a Varsity, the Continental was the envy of all. Rich kids rode Continentals.
Old 06-10-20, 02:07 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Kwest
I remember in Jr. High when most kids were riding a Varsity, the Continental was the envy of all. Rich kids rode Continentals.
I figured with the crimped chains stay to drop out connection it was a lower end bike, the brass fillet on the DT and TT connection to the head tube of course takes some labor and says its higher end though.
Old 06-10-20, 02:23 PM
Crazier Dave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I have a Varsity that is in very good condition. How would I identify which derailleur I have?
Old 06-10-20, 03:02 PM
Kwest
Advocate

Bikes: Too many really

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I figured with the crimped chains stay to drop out connection it was a lower end bike, the brass fillet on the DT and TT connection to the head tube of course takes some labor and says its higher end though.
I guess I must not have been that astute in Jr. High.
There were some kids who rode Raleigh Grand Prix that also seemed upscale. But that's about it. Schwinns and Raleighs. Probably represented the only two bike shops in town!
Old 06-10-20, 03:45 PM
Crazier Dave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I was a kid there were Schwinns and Raleighs that came from dedicated bike stores and their were department store bikes. There was a store call Blalock Cycle in Wheaton Md that sold both bike and motorcycles. I loved to go there to look at the motorcycles but I can't remember what bikes they sold. I don't think it was until the 70's that started to see more brands and varied bike stores. By the 80's it was booming.

Dave
Old 06-10-20, 05:27 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Y'know, if any BF member happens to need a bike to ride for a visit to the West-side Cleveland OH/Lorain County area, I've got four to choose from. BUT they're all the same size, and outfitted the same.. You wanna ride - you ride what I like, LOL!
All are 23"/57cm frame, all have SunTour friction-shift barcons, and six speed freewheels. they're all wearing 13-21- or 13-24s because it is relatively flat here, but I've got several other freewheels to choose from - 13-18 straight blocks to 13-28.. and spare new chain as needed to accommodate...

Hmmmm..... Maybe we should have a sticky post for 'Loaner bike available' and give location and bike(s) available... Describe bike.post pic, etc...

'75 Fuji S-10S

'84 Univega Viva Sport

'84 Univega Gran Tourismo (pic before modifications)

'86 Miyata 710

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 06-12-20 at 12:15 PM.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 06-10-20, 06:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Btw, if you want to lower the seatpost any time in the future you can turn that seatclamp upside down too.

Cheers
Old 06-10-20, 11:53 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Y'know, if any BF member happens to need a bike to ride for a visit to the West-side Cleveland OH/Lorain County area, I've got four to choose from. BUT they're all the same size, and outfitted the same.. You wanna ride - you ride what I like, LOL!
All are 23"/57cm frame, all have SunTour friction-shift barcons, and six speed freewheels. they're all wearing 13-21- or 13-24s because it is relatively flat here, but I've got several other freewheels to choose from - 13-18 straight blocks to 13-28.. and spare new chain as needed to accommodate...

Hmmmm..... Maybe we should have a sticky post for 'Loaner bike available' and give location and bike(s) available... Describe bike.post pic, etc...
Great idea! I have some bikes I'd gladly loan out to fellow C&V geeks! I'll start a thread and see where it goes :-)

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Btw, if you want to lower the seatpost any time in the future you can turn that seatclamp upside down too.

Cheers
I do remember doing that a few times when I worked in a bike shop as a kid! This bike as it is actually fits me pretty well, I should drop the stem a bit probably, but the laid back seat angle combined with my moving the seat way forward got the reach about right and the "effective" seat angle certainly feels in the ball park of my more modern bikes.
Old 06-11-20, 05:57 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
I flew out east for work, and there was supposed to be a better bike waiting for me, but there wasn't, and there has been a massive rush on any low priced bikes out here, CL has almost nothing and bike shops have sold ~%70 of everything in the store, its insane, this was all I could come up with, and, you'd fall over dead or laughing or both if I told you how much it cost! But I can't not have a bike for 3 weeks! I'm making my boss pay for it!
what size do you normally ride? i can see what's spare around here that might work as a loaner for you. but yes, anything that with tires that hold air and brakes that seem to almost work is selling for silly money right now.
Likes For niliraga:
Old 06-11-20, 06:47 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by niliraga
what size do you normally ride? i can see what's spare around here that might work as a loaner for you.
I'm 5' 11" with arms and legs that are a bit short for my height, 56 cm to 58 cm fit me pretty well. I am back home now, but will likely be back in NY/NJ later this summer, a bike loan would be great! Getting on something with aluminum rims would be certainly be nice compared to the steel rims on the Continental!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.