Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-25-20, 03:42 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts

I bought this early 90's Rock 'n Road that was repainted in the late 90's then stored in box until I bought it earlier today. The racks were painted to match the frame, the front is green the rear is the same grey it fades to. It came with two sets of wheels, and a full set of Robert Beckman panniers w/rain covers. I'm in the middle of trying to decide whether to build it myself or give it to the bike shop to be built since the all the mount holes need the threads chased since there's still paint in them
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-25-20, 03:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Lovely bike. Can you get a screw to start on the mount holes? If not, I'd buy the tools to chase the threads and do it myself.
Old 05-25-20, 03:52 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by bikemig
Lovely bike. Can you get a screw to start on the mount holes? If not, I'd buy the tools to chase the threads and do it myself.
I'm going to go to the HW store tomorrow to see if I can find a tap set that has the sizes I need. If I can I'll get all the stainless screws and stuff I need if not it'll go to the local shop but it's classic enough that I'm not exactly sure they'll even want to do it.
Old 05-25-20, 04:33 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Very nice bike.
Old 05-25-20, 04:36 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Nice bike. Is this one of the Taiwanese or American Rock n Roads?
Old 05-25-20, 04:49 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Nice bike. Is this one of the Taiwanese or American Rock n Roads?
It's American made and painted by Spectrum..
Old 05-25-20, 05:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,458 Posts
You should only need an M5 or a 10-22 tap, they are practically the same, and a handle. Great looking project

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-25-20, 05:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
If the hardware store doesn't have a tap, a fastener or industrial supply house should. Something along the lines of Fastenal or Grainger here.

Nice bike
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-25-20, 05:59 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Glorious!

Congratulations!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-25-20, 07:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Really nice looking.
Whats the plan for it- touring? Commuting? Gravel?
Also, how will you shift?...there are downtube cable stops, trp brake levers, and cork in the bars.
Old 05-25-20, 11:38 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
I'm done with trusting shops to not screw up even a simple job. I vote build it yourself.
Old 05-26-20, 12:43 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

It'll be a commuter
Old 05-26-20, 01:32 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
It'll be a commuter
You mention the shop maybe not even wanting to work on it, this is obviously a red flag and all too common now days.

I would have a very frank discussion with them and be certain they have your best interest in hand. No uhh, we'll give it a shot, do our best, see what we can do, none of that. If they say anything other than "no problem, we've got this" AND your gut fully agrees, they guarantee not to damage it and will fix it if they do then walk away.

This presents an opportunity to go outside your comfort zone and develop/hone a new skill that leads to other skills that will be invaluable going forward.

I would go to the hardware store and get some high quality screws/bolts and either/and/or grind a taper on the starting end and carefully file or cut some slots along at least two sides to make a chaser to clear out the paint.

Tackling tasks like this can develop the skills to do other challenging jobs once you get after it.
Old 05-26-20, 02:14 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by merziac
You mention the shop maybe not even wanting to work on it, this is obviously a red flag and all too common now days.

I would have a very frank discussion with them and be certain they have your best interest in hand. No uhh, we'll give it a shot, do our best, see what we can do, none of that. If they say anything other than "no problem, we've got this" AND your gut fully agrees, they guarantee not to damage it and will fix it if they do then walk away.

This presents an opportunity to go outside your comfort zone and develop/hone a new skill that leads to other skills that will be invaluable going forward.

I would go to the hardware store and get some high quality screws/bolts and either/and/or grind a taper on the starting end and carefully file or cut some slots along at least two sides to make a chaser to clear out the paint.

Tackling tasks like this can develop the skills to do other challenging jobs once you get after it.
This isn't my first bike build, every bike I've posted here I built but last night I was feeling kinda lazy. I ordered some new Rock 'n Road tires last night so I'll stop by the shop today and get some new cables and a seat post to make it rideable. When The tires get here I'll start measuring for fenders and get those squared away. In the end I just want to be able to ride it right now and that's just not going to happen.
Old 05-26-20, 05:51 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 141 Posts
Fun project and nice bike.

I had a Taiwanese Rock n Road and I loved it.

I had it built with Shimano XT and way overbuilt 36 spoke wheels.

Needless to say, it was a heavy beast but rode very nicely.

In addition, it was incredibly reliable. I had a combo of Tubus and Nitto racks on it and made three fairly long trips on the bike.

I sold it to a recent college grad that was riding from St. Paul to the West coast.

I never heard from him again after he picked it up.
Old 05-26-20, 09:37 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I'd just do it right and buy the tap. I can't believe a metric tap wouldn't be on the shelf in a German HW store and not that expensive.
I'd also get a M10x1.0 tap for RD hanger threads as long as I was buying. .
Old 05-26-20, 11:51 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by dedhed
I'd just do it right and buy the tap. I can't believe a metric tap wouldn't be on the shelf in a German HW store and not that expensive.
I'd also get a M10x1.0 tap for RD hanger threads as long as I was buying. .
Not about the expense, "right" can vary by experience, taps can be too sharp and take off metal when you don't need to making the threads sloppy.

A chaser will clear the paint only and make sure the threads stay sharp.

And you're right, a good tap is a good thing to have, when needed.
Old 05-26-20, 11:54 AM
merziac

This isn't my first bike build, every bike I've posted here I built but last night I was feeling kinda lazy. I ordered some new Rock 'n Road tires last night so I'll stop by the shop today and get some new cables and a seat post to make it rideable. When The tires get here I'll start measuring for fenders and get those squared away. In the end I just want to be able to ride it right now and that's just not going to happen.
No worries, just very leery of any shop now days "trying" to dig in if it it's not still solidly in their wheelhouse.
Old 05-26-20, 01:51 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bad picture but it rides..when the new tires get here I'll start to measure for fenders and the like
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-26-20, 08:59 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts

Bad picture but it rides..when the new tires get here I'll start to measure for fenders and the like
man that looks nice.
Old 05-27-20, 01:10 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
if all you need is a thread chaser or two to clear paint from threads, an auto parts store should have a kit you can rent with metric and standard. you get your money back when your return the tools

edit: i realize now you're in germany. so, i don't know if you all have the equivalent of US's o'reilly or auto zone, but here the tool rental is available at any of these stores

Last edited by thook; 05-27-20 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 11:14 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
BG was ahead of his time with the original monster cross. Great looking bike, I bet there are not many in nicer condition.
Old 06-08-20, 12:26 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

I finally bought a bunch of seat post shims so now I can make a 26.0 seat post fit, and went to OBI and got an M5 tap and cleaned out most go the threads and got the front rack mounted. I ordered a rack mounting kit last weekend that'll hopefully be here next week so I can get the rear rack mounted and put the daily panniers on the back where I prefer them. Tonight I'll order some VO aluminum fenders and hopefully I can get those mounted before the end of the month.

Last weekend I was doing some late night eBay scanning and got some 10 speed Centaur ergos, those will wait until winter when I pull it form the road so not the question is. I'm not in love with the threaded headset on this bike because the tubing is fairly large so do I inni it and run threadless or keep it the way Bruce built it and run threaded. I know micro adjustments of the threaded are nice and that's a technomic so it's pretty far into the steerer tube so strength and flex are not a thing, but that stem seems "wrong" on such a big tubed bike..

Welcome to my little build thread

Last edited by Germany_chris; 06-08-20 at 12:34 PM.