Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Story of Shiner Bock

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Story of Shiner Bock

Old 05-26-20, 02:52 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 1,117 Times in 717 Posts
Story of Shiner Bock

You microbrew bikers may find this interesting.

Old 05-28-20, 12:26 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 135 Posts
i find the label much more interesting than the town ... best way to say it is " i'd rather live there than visit
Old 05-28-20, 12:37 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 470 Posts
I went to school in Houston and every Friday the 'grad-school' on campus bar had 25 cups of Shiner or $1.75 pitchers. Perfect for sitting on the steps in the shade of a live oak.

I later bought a 6 pack when living in AZ and it was pretty bad.
Old 05-28-20, 12:49 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Picky picky y’all are just be cold and free. Someone on FOO said cold and free beer is the best beer. A few weeks ago or so.
Old 05-28-20, 12:56 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

I definitely wasn't picky in college

You're gonna need a lot of ice to make it palatable.
Old 05-28-20, 12:59 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I definitely wasn't picky in college

You're gonna need a lot of ice to make it palatable.
Fresh beer tastes better too. Yuengling beer in eastern PA and Pittsburgh tastes malty and slightly sweet. Here in Ohio it's just a little off.
Old 05-28-20, 01:07 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Oh I still get it relatively fresh every time I visit TX. It is not bad, just not as great as I recalled. A drinkable beer but a below average bock.
Old 05-28-20, 01:15 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I went to school in Houston and every Friday the 'grad-school' on campus bar had 25 cups of Shiner or $1.75 pitchers. Perfect for sitting on the steps in the shade of a live oak.

I later bought a 6 pack when living in AZ and it was pretty bad.
Seems like every town had a place like that.

When I went to tech school on the north side of Waco, Texas we'd go down to nearby Bellmead to a place called the House of Draft. 25 cent schooners of draft beer was all I remember them having, except for the free popcorn from the self serve popcorn machine. They also had a 10'x10' "dance floor" with a juke box next to it. I can't remember seeing anyone dance there.

I can't remember the beer, but it was cold and $1.00 worth of beer (plus a $1.00 tip) made me feel allright. This was circa 1985-1987.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-05-20, 12:05 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Interesting story...maybe to some. The only visit I've made to Shiner was when I rode the Shiner Ride in 2014, from Austin to Shiner. I connected on BF with a guy named Chuck, who wanted to put a group together to do this annual century ride to celebrate his 75th birthday. I got two of my riding buddies to sign up and two others from BF joined also. Chuck and his family even had an event jersey's made with the company he founded, Alarm Masters. I still wear the jersey on rides because it's mostly white and a good summer weight.

We met up the night before the ride at a local Italian restaurant to carb-load and then at the start the next morning. The six of us set off together but there were no expectations of riding as a group. My friends and I rode off and finished the ride 6 hours later. It got pretty hot and there was a strong headwind for the last 30 miles. We arrived, connected with Chuck's family on the Shiner Brewery property, got our free food and beer and then sat with the family awaiting Chuck's arrival. Chuck was having a tough time of it, having to stop every few miles to rest...but he wouldn't give up. Finally, about 2 hours after our arrival, Chuck crossed the line with a grin on his face and even had the presence of mind to reach out and grab the finisher's medal that was being offered as he finished.

I got an e-mail from Chuck's son two years ago telling me that while preparing to ride a century for his 80th birthday, Chuck was hit and killed by a car while out on a training ride. From what I could gather, Chuck went to make a u-turn on a 2-lane highway, not realizing a car was approaching from behind.

That was one of my more memorable cycling events. After the ride, I received a framed certificate commemorating the event. It's hanging on the wall of my home office.

Chuck's son, who now runs the business, hands him an iced towel.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Likes For dstrong:
Old 06-05-20, 09:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

For Chuck! And his dad those boys are in excellent shape!

Don’t Mess With Texas ....
Old 06-05-20, 09:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 225 Posts
Hondo,
I had my first shiner in Austin while in a Harvey Penick academy for golf at Golf Smith International on the north side of Austin. It seems to be available a lot of places and even at my local liquor store, which I am currently unable to have access to. And after Covid, I likely won't be able to fly to Austin in the foreseeable future. I haven't seen my older sister and her children in in over ten years and this the spring I was to be hanging out on Onion Creek golf course,and drinking some Shiner. Abber Schadde! Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk: