Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Making my Ti bike a "trophy bike", deep cleaning, long-term storage, lessons learned

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Making my Ti bike a "trophy bike", deep cleaning, long-term storage, lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 11:33 AM
fuji_owner

Bikes: 2012 Seven Axiom SL; Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I mean, it is your bike and you should do what you want with it.

But if it were me, I'd put it up on a wall and take it out for casual coffee rides and such. In fact, I plan to do exactly that with a Colnago Master X Light frameset next year (am going to sell my current Lynskey for that).
I did used to take it out for casual coffee rides and such. But ever since I've had to move, I just wanted to give it a good safe box so I can transport it.

I don't think I will ever afford to get such a nice bike again, so I want to keep it pristine.
Likes For fuji_owner:
Old 05-29-20, 11:35 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Sweet bike!

I rode a Merlin MTB around 1990 and knew from that half mile ride that titanium in a custom road frame was it for me. 2007 I landed the job and could afford it. Lived in Portland, OR and a local ti builder had been making me custom stems, I'd gotten to know a shop owner that dealt his frames and saw them around. Ordered up that custom. I still love it! Ordered another, rather different fix gear from the same builder several years later.

Yup, ti is the the ride! Both of mine have steel forks as did that MTB Merlin I rode. I feel like steel there is a sweet mach to the ti frame. Kept having doubts as the bike was being built but first ride confirmed that the steel fork was right.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-29-20, 11:38 AM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by base2
To be entombed forever is just a sad & shameful fate.

5000 miles? That's not even 1 change of the ol' bar tape.

My bikes weep for this poor Seven.
Why look at it as "entombed"? Why not look at it as a beautiful painting that is kept pristine and clean and safe?
Old 05-29-20, 11:41 AM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by Dean V
There is some logic to it.
He is doing his best to store the bike in pristine condition.
I am sure if he ever moves back to an area that suits what the bike was built for he can unbox it and use it again.
BINGO!
Seems like you're the only one that gets me?
Old 05-29-20, 11:47 AM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I don't fully get where you are going with mothballing the bike. Keep it out, ride it. Sure, get a new bike better suited to your current situation but why put it away???? I ride my 2000 Merlin Ti bike that looks very very similar to your Seven all of the time. I have 15 years ago put on a compact crank when I moved from Michigan to Utah and now here in Central Europe (Czech Republic) it works super fine with the big hills. It is more comfy than my lighter Orbea Orca, not as light weight, but a real honey to ride, and I do. In this day and age, riding up next to someone while you are on a Ti bike, American made with lots of American parts and Italian drive train really is fun, in this world of carbon bikes with Shimano. People here (in Europe) ask me where the hell I came from. I could not imagine retiring the bike, just making upgrades to parts as they wear out, which they really don;t other than tires, chain, cassettes, brake pads, bar tape.

RIDE THAT DAMN BIKE!
Thanks for giving your perspective. I'm in a transition state now as far as career/jobs and location are concerned. So I just wanted to keep the bike safe and protected for now. Later if I settle into a stable life, I would definitely do what you did. But in the meantime, it gives me the opportunity to explore new bikes.
Old 05-29-20, 11:55 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji_owner
Why look at it as "entombed"? Why not look at it as a beautiful painting that is kept pristine and clean and safe?
Well, because beautiful paintings are usually hung on walls for people to look at - the painting is being "used" as it's supposed to be used. But all that being said - your bike, your plan. I hope your cycling situation improves so you can break it out again - that'll be some unwrapping!
Old 05-29-20, 11:55 AM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I have a trophy bike. It's the Cervelo S1 that was... not my first road bike, but the first one that "stuck", and is the one I rode for most of my tri career.

Right now it's being rebuilt into a dedicated trainer-only bike so that it never, ever has to retire and can be part of my cycling career for the foreseeable future.
Interesting.... how is it being rebuilt into a trainer-only bike.. does that mean it doesn't go outside? I might do something like that in the future with my Seven.
Old 05-29-20, 11:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Neat that you want to save your favorite bike.

It makes totally sense why you want a new bike, even if this is your favorite of all time. While a drivetrain can be changed to match the terrain, a tire size can't always be changed. 25mm tires on stone paths and gravel isn't ideal, so retire this and buy new. Makes sense.

...entombing your favorite bike is the confusing part. Why not clean then and hang it on a wall for you to see and enjoy? Placing it in a coffin just seems to defeat the purposes of a bike(to be ridden or admired).

But its your world, man.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-29-20, 12:01 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Wow! I'm quite compulsive about keeping my bikes clean and nice, and have several that are seldom ridden, but I've never considered doing this. But I don't have anything near this fancy, and understand everyone is different. I personally would want to at least be able to see any retired bike I'm keeping.

Your bike certainly is now clean and well protected for the future, whatever it may hold. Well done.
Thanks! Finally someone who somewhat understands me.
I would have let it sit fully assembled, but I put it in a box in case I need to move again. That way it has a nice safe home and I can just roll away with the box.
Old 05-29-20, 12:06 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Kudos to OP for being a good sport and not getting a panty wad when most of us can't fathom his obsession! Lots of weird stuff coming out these days, always interesting.
Thanks!
Likes For fuji_owner:
Old 05-29-20, 12:15 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Your bike, so do what you want, but I don't get it at all. It's like the guy that buys a sports car and never drives it, it just sits in the garage.

Ride it, enjoy it, replace things when they wear out. I'm thinking about getting a ti bike, just for the fact that I can ride the hell out of it and worry less about it than I do with the beautiful paint jobs on my carbon bikes.
So I'm not so weird after all
Old 05-29-20, 12:19 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Your bike, so do what you want, but I don't get it at all. It's like the guy that buys a sports car and never drives it, it just sits in the garage.

Ride it, enjoy it, replace things when they wear out. I'm thinking about getting a ti bike, just for the fact that I can ride the hell out of it and worry less about it than I do with the beautiful paint jobs on my carbon bikes.
I have never liked the gaudy paint jobs on carbon bikes.
Old 05-29-20, 12:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I have never liked the gaudy paint jobs on carbon bikes.
Old 05-29-20, 12:28 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I would understand not riding the bike often, if it was something unique or collectible, but this is just a basic Ti bike. It's a nice bike, but nothing really special.
LOL, This "basic" bike frame was, and still is, the best Ti frame that money can buy. Care to explain what is "basic" about it, and what you consider as "really special"?
Old 05-29-20, 12:28 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Old 05-29-20, 12:32 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by mprince
There is some irony in that statement given the OP stated he did zero maintenance (beyond chain lubing) or cleaning over the 8 years/5K miles he used the bike. Any wear or damage has already happened, and dust would be the least of one's worries at this point...
There is no damage. I rode it on a long loop just before cleaning and packing it up. That's because I didn't ride it in bad weather to begin with.
Old 05-29-20, 12:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Bad analogy. That's like taking a beautiful painting and instead of hanging it on the wall, putting it in a box and hiding it in the attic.

If it's YOUR painting you can do what you want with it, of course. Just saying that most of us don't "get" the point of stashing it away.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-29-20, 12:39 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by Litespud
What you should do, to indulge your new-found appreciation for bike building, is strip the bike down to the frame (you already dismantled the cockpit, so you've made a start), mothball the complete "fair weather" component set and re-equip the frame with a whole new set - beefier wheels, lower gearing, suspension seat post if you like that sort of thing - maybe not quite as fancy as your current kit, 'cos it's going to get worn - and ride it. It's custom - you love it etc, but it's bare Ti, nothing's going to happen to it. If/whenever your cycling conditions improve, buff out any scratches, apply a new decal set and put all the good stuff back on - presto! your trophy bike again! I did something similar to my 20-year-old, >50,000-mile not-babied Ti frame - cleaned it up, added new decals, and it looks like it just left the showroom. In this instance, you really can have your cake and eat it.
Well, you have valid points, but my intention was to "preserve" the original build and components the way they were. It would be "harsh" to separate the frame from its original "best buddies".

But, also the frame cannot take tires/wheels bigger than 25mm. And also, it doesn't sound right to put less fancy component set on a custom Ti frame. And since I can't afford a new fancy groupset, I would rather get a cheaper frame with cheaper components and ride it.
Old 05-29-20, 12:40 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by datlas
Bad analogy. That's like taking a beautiful painting and instead of hanging it on the wall, putting it in a box and hiding it in the attic.

If it's YOUR painting you can do what you want with it, of course. Just saying that most of us don't "get" the point of stashing it away.
Lots of very very valuable and precious paintings have been found stored safely in an old attic.

I get that most people don't get why I'm doing this. It's just my way of safeguarding the most expensive thing I have, out of emotional attachment. I don't have a fancy car or fancy clothes. This is the one fancy thing I have, and I'm just over-protective of it.
Old 05-29-20, 12:51 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
LOL, This "basic" bike frame was, and still is, the best Ti frame that money can buy. Care to explain what is "basic" about it, and what you consider as "really special"?
I can call Seven, and have them build the same bike for me..

Even if you don't want to ride the bike, I wouldn't box it up where you never even have the enjoyment of looking at it.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-29-20, 12:56 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Taking a trip and/or shipping the bike and having some BF fun while he's at it.

Tell me....Is my bike protected and boxed up because I am putting it away in storage forever or because I flew to Italy with it?

BTW...Any idea what that BuxumBox retails for these days? Pretty pricey "tomb."
I wish I could afford to take a biking trip. Then I would use that as an excuse for my quirks. That didn't even occur to me as being even remotely close to something I might use as an excuse.

But, yeah, the reason I packed it so carefully is because it's good and ready if I need to move. It serves the double purpose of keeping the bike safe and ready for moving if needed.
Old 05-29-20, 01:09 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I can call Seven, and have them build the same bike for me..

Even if you don't want to ride the bike, I wouldn't box it up where you never even have the enjoyment of looking at it.
I guess your definition of "basic" and "special" are different. Seven only makes custom bikes, so unless you and I are exactly matched up in body dimensions and riding preferences, mine is a unique bike and so will yours. But also, if you've observed Seven's welds, you would know why they are so special. Those welds are so perfect, no extra material, perfectly shaped beautiful crescent moons overlapping.

I've spent hours in bike shops looking at welds, and none of the mass manufacturers care about the welds. Even other Ti frames have ugly welds, either all smoothed out or big lumps. So I would say all in all, Seven frames are pretty special.
Old 05-29-20, 01:23 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I guess your definition of "basic" and "special" are different. Seven only makes custom bikes, so unless you and I are exactly matched up in body dimensions and riding preferences, mine is a unique bike and so will yours. But also, if you've observed Seven's welds, you would know why they are so special. Those welds are so perfect, no extra material, perfectly shaped beautiful crescent moons overlapping.

I've spent hours in bike shops looking at welds, and none of the mass manufacturers care about the welds. Even other Ti frames have ugly welds, either all smoothed out or big lumps. So I would say all in all, Seven frames are pretty special.
I've worked for a shop that used Seven for customers that want a custom framesets(along with Moots and Pegoretti). They are nice bikes, but anyone can call up, and have one built for them. Yes the welds are nice, but can you see them now that they packed away in a box.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-29-20, 01:26 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I'm failing to see a correlation between frame material and gaudiness of paint; any frame can be painted as restrained or as gaudy as one pleases.
Old 05-29-20, 01:31 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm failing to see a correlation between frame material and gaudiness of paint; any frame can be painted as restrained or as gaudy as one pleases.
Not to mention, most steel enthusiasts complain that carbon bikes are all samey-samey black. Many are not (my R2 is all bright red with some white and my P2 is white with some red), but black is most common. By comparison, it seems steel frames were much more commonly painted in bright, vivid colors.

Now what I just don't ever understand, and never will, is painting titanium.
Likes For Bah Humbug:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.