Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pedals - flat pedals for road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pedals - flat pedals for road bike

Old 05-26-20, 03:37 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
What is the benefit of being clipped in?
Stop your feet from slipping?
Faster?
Your feet cannot move?
I have been cycling for over forty and I can't see a benefit for a regular cyclist.
I wear whatever shoes I like and I can walk if I want too.
I can position my feet where I like and where it suits for my pedal speed.
No freezing feet.
Cycling shoes are also idiotic. Stiff as possible. I think cycling shoes should be supple just like my feet are.
I regular ride a 100k solo and fast.
Old 05-26-20, 06:32 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I would only consider flat pedals (probably mixed flat on one side and clipless on the other) if you're mostly planning to use the bike with "normal" clothes and shoes. In which case, a road bike isn't the best tool for the job IMHO.

I'd just buy Shimano M520, as they are really cheap and durable. Probably not ideal if you're weight-obssesed or want to use SPD-SL though (I like being able to walk, so SL's are a no no).
Old 05-26-20, 09:13 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
What is the benefit of being clipped in?
If you want to pedal in the most efficient manner - pedaling full circles, including pulling back at 6 and pushing forwards at 12 - it is easier to do that when your feet are attached to the pedals and you dont have to exert any force or effort to maintain contact between the foot and the pedals - especially at higher efforts and when your legs are a little tired, and your form isnt perfect.
Old 05-26-20, 10:58 AM
blamester
Blamester

Originally Posted by guadzilla
If you want to pedal in the most efficient manner - pedaling full circles, including pulling back at 6 and pushing forwards at 12 - it is easier to do that when your feet are attached to the pedals and you dont have to exert any force or effort to maintain contact between the foot and the pedals - especially at higher efforts and when your legs are a little tired, and your form isnt perfect.
Just not true.
Pushing down on the pedal with good timing is what it is about.
There is no effort involved in keeping your foot on the pedals. The foot pushes down on pedal not across it.
Tiredness reduces your form not the pedals.
For a regular cyclist there is no benefit.
When was the last time you cycled forty or fifty k in soft thin soled runners?
I have done both.
Toeclips are probably the best but everyone thinks that's somehow archaic when it does exactly the same thing.
Easy to use and cheap. Wear any shoes you like.
We have been conned

Last edited by blamester; 05-26-20 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-26-20, 11:36 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
No matter if you are clipped in or not, the power to propel the bike at a certain speed is the same. The EXACT same. There is NO free lunch. You Might be able to exert more torque by using both legs at the same time being clipped in, tho. Still, at a red light, flats are usually faster as there is no clipping out and in. And you are less likely to slip off of the pedals (Not likely anyway with a good flat pedal, but hey!)
Old 05-26-20, 11:36 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,312 Times in 2,699 Posts
Just not true.
There is no effort involved in keeping your foot on the pedals. The foot pushes down on pedal not across it.
I have done both.
Toeclips are probably the best but everyone thinks that's somehow archaic when it does exactly the same thing.
You have been conned
IMO you are pretty much wrong about all of this but I won't say you've been "conned." If you like flat pedals and soft shoes, that's fine, no need to be defensive. It is a fact that most folks who do significant distance prefer dedicated bike shoes and clipless pedals. That doesn't mean your choice is wrong for you. I think you might feel differently if you did longer mileage, but maybe not. Someone new to cycling would be well advised to try both ways and then make an informed choice.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-26-20, 01:30 PM
blamester
Blamester

I've been cycling for forty years and I do a hundred miles a week at least. Never mind short trips to the shops or town.
120k fast group rides. I'm on my bike every day in the drops.
I have tried both ways and I know which is best for me.
And sorry I didn't mean to write you have been conned. I meant to write we have been conned. And we have been on a lot of bike stuff.
I will edit that post.
Old 05-27-20, 12:33 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Just not true.
I have done both.
We have been conned
I have ridden platform pedals and i have ridden clipless, and i know what works more efficiently for me. Platforms arent close to being nearly as efficient for me.

If they work better for you, that's cool. I am not really trying to convert you.
Old 05-27-20, 05:48 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
I bought some Crankbrothers Doubleshot 3s last month, these are a dual-sided option with flats on one side and clipped on the other.
I love 'em, they clip in / out very smoothly, and the platform side has the adjustable-height pins you can raise or lower according to what kind of sole your shoe has, etc.
They were on sale (selected colors) for about $75 on Competitive Cyclist, also available in several other colors at Crankbrothers site (at full price).
Old 05-28-20, 03:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've ridden platforms and clipless on my old school steel road bike, and my early '90s Trek OCLV for a week or two before settling on SPL-SL rather than Look Delta pedals.

Checking my ride data, no significant differences in speed. Some of my fastest Strava segments were set with platform pedals on those bikes, while I was wearing Merrell shoes (not nearly as stiff soled as Five Ten). Those include flat terrain, rollers, climbs and downhill segments.

But I tend to have a choppy cadence and mash more than spin. That might matter.

Back in the 1970s, when men were etc and blahblahblah, I used Detto Pietros and toe clips, strapped in and snugged down. Frankly, it was awful. The cleats were way too far forward for my feet, on the balls of the feet per the Conventional Wisdom of that era. I had arch spasms, shin splints, etc. I swore off foot retention after several years of that mess. But it was mostly a bike fit problem (nobody seemed to know anything about bike fit back then, other than what they memorized from Saint Eddy) and my physiology, not a knock against foot retention in general.

When I resumed cycling in 2015 I got oversized platform pedals and whatever walking shoes I already had and was perfectly happy for a couple of years.

Until I got my first road bike in 30+ years in 2017. Then the old competitive streak flared up again.

Main reason I eventually switched to clipless on the road bikes was for better support for my feet. My feet are terrible, bony with high arches. Since I was a kid I've had problems with painful cramps in my arches and legs from running or cycling. Boot camp was miserable with those cheap gym shoes -- I ran better with boots, a trick I learned from watching Muhammad Ali train. He jogged in high top military boots, including running backward. Worked for me as well, just because of the stiffer soles and better arch support.

I might be very slightly more consistent over distance with clipless. Occasionally when I feel spasms coming on in my arches, calves or quads, I'll switch to a lighter gear, spin at 90-100 rpm (I'm usually around 60-75 rpm), consciously pulling up on the pedals until the spasms fade. Worked great the other day when I was chasing some hill climb PRs. Seemed to conserve a little energy. But it's only maybe a 1/2 mph difference in average speed over 20-40 miles. I mean, I'll take it. But it's not a huge difference.

Last year I got a pair of iSSi Thump pedals for my favorite hybrid. Love 'em. I'm seriously considering switching my old school steel road bike to similarly wide but lighter weight flat pedals and retiring the old Look Deltas. Occasionally I ride that road bike toward the city, and might use the MUP for a mile or so as a shortcut. I dislike foot retention in traffic (which includes the MUP, since I always defer to the pedestrians). It's just easier to dab a foot when I don't need to unclip or yank free of toe clips and cages.

And if we resume casual group rides after the 'rona virus pandemic settles, I prefer flat pedals since we do some walking, or stops at pubs or for coffee. I like Look Delta, Keo and Shimano SPD-SL for riding, but they suck for walking more than a few feet. It's like walking in high heels designed by Salvador Dali. Nobody takes me seriously when I clippityclipclop on my toes up to the bar for a manly man's ginger ale or kombucha. I'm sure the Lycra and Spandex have nothing to do with it. It's the shoes.

But I'll stick with clipless for my other road bikes. As I said, I don't see any data showing I'm significantly faster with clipless. But it does help minimize my problems with arch and leg cramps. That's good enough.
Old 05-28-20, 08:03 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait
i have similar toe clips I picked up years ago but in plastic and go farther back over the toe. Still use them depending on bike, even on the road bike. Foot comes out easily in emergency, can pedal with lifting stroke, etc. I like my Speedplays on the road bike, except with a bad knee on one leg, stiff foot on the other. Now I am running SPD on the CAAD 9 using Shimano Mtb shoes and much prefer the cleat recessed.
But then I am no longer young, don’t do group rides, compete against myself, only ride up to 50 miles a session and don’t care what others think. Ride in what you like.
bingo! plastic toe clips without the straps, the best of all worlds. slip in and out easily, light weight and wear any shoes. i am too old to be falling with my bicycle, so i use clips and other times clips/straps. both are fine.

i have no need to compete, just need to shut up and ride with no complications. also don't care much about tires, derailleurs, brakes, frame material, chain oil, well not toooo much..........but it's fun reading about people who are worried about such things. it also amazes me how some can tell the difference in frame metal, etc as if bicycles are like sport cars. i mostly wanna know if your bicycle fits, seat height, air in tires.

my guess is that newbies should be staying away from clipless pedals, let them drift naturally over to them. most don't need them anyway, they are nice i spose, but so is a kick stand on a bicycle.
Old 05-28-20, 08:06 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw got a new pic of my 1/2 clips. wonder if anyone ever used these on the flipside of 1-sided cleated mtb pedals

nice metal clips, best of all bicycle worlds. i use a cheap pair of plastic clips from nashbar and very tough for years, doesn't wanna break. thanks for the picture, thought i would have to drum one up because i know these kinds of clips would not be popular here. but if your into hassle free bicycling, then this is smooth city.
Old 05-28-20, 08:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,312 Times in 2,699 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
my guess is that newbies should be staying away from clipless pedals,
I agree. Folks need to develop a little skill and comfort on the bike. Until they can consistently stay upright they are just as well off with flats. Progress to clipless as their skills progress. Some never develop that level of control and confidence. Better for them to stay with flats.
Old 05-28-20, 08:55 PM
fuji_owner

Bikes: 2012 Seven Axiom SL; Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I like my FUNN Mambas. They are flat on one side & cleated on the other. I think they make some models w/o cleats entirely. I think they are considered mountain bike pedals but I like them on my road bike. I use them w smooth, flat soled, cleated, MTB shoes w recessed cleats so either side works for me depending on conditions. on my hybrid & mountain bike I use mini cages aka 1/2 cages. good luck w/ your choices!

What shoes are these? They look comfortable to walk in as well.
Old 05-28-20, 09:13 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I agree. Folks need to develop a little skill and comfort on the bike. Until they can consistently stay upright they are just as well off with flats. Progress to clipless as their skills progress. Some never develop that level of control and confidence. Better for them to stay with flats.
I have coached dozens of high school kids, some of whom have nearly no bike skills at the start of the season, through the process of handling their bike, getting fit, and finally racing MTBs. I’m always surprised how some of these novices are able to jump to clipless after a few months. By the end of a season, they can be surprisingly agile on the bike.

I don’t think clipless really takes much of a learning curve. Most are comfortable with them after a few rides and virtually all of them prefer clipless once they make the switch. In MTB, it has a lot to do with stability on the downhills, as well. For road, I find stiff shoes and clipless pedals to be much more comfortable and efficient. It’s not the most important thing in the world for a beginner, obviously.
Likes For justonwo:
Old 05-29-20, 04:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Really, any of the mountain bike style flat pedals with pins are going to work fine. I put some VP-001 on my wife's bike and she likes them a lot. The pins (really little grub screws) can tear up the bottom of your shoes, but they do provide a nice secure connection to the pedals.

I know this is the road forum and the majority of the people here ride clipless pedals and love them (myself included), but they aren't really necessary. A grippy flat pedal provides most of the performance of a clipless system, and you don't have to buy new shoes, either

If you decide to go clipless in the future, well then you can just put your nice flat pedals on your hybrid.

Yes, you will have less clearance when leaning the bike over, but like MinnMan said above, I doubt you will have any issues. You have to get to some pretty extreme lean angles to start having to worry about pedal strike.

I have them on two of my bikes, and I love them.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-29-20, 05:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji_owner
What shoes are these? They look comfortable to walk in as well.
GIRO Chamber I’ll add a photo later. I wish they were grey for when I wear them w shorts. I had another brand/model but I had a hot spot I couldn’t eliminate. these have a nice wide toe box not as pointy as the last pair. got them on Amazon so I can post a link but I think I got them on clearance cuz they were discontinued. sometimes that’s a bad sign but they had my size & the reviews were good enough for me. they have laces & a Velcro strap. not sure if the purpose of the strap but I use it to hold the laces from flying into the bike but I don’t need it for that. they are vented so not a great shoe for cold rain unless you cover them &/or use toe warmers, etc

got them 4/22/19 size 48 for $57.78 looks like they still have some (only size 5 & 6.5 tho) (5.5 in bright blue?)

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-29-20 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 06:11 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't think you'll get a lot of advice about platform pedals here because they're not very common in road. Its ok to use them, but it's not a subject this forum probably has a great deal of knowledge in.

Anyway, when you turn, you want your pedals at 6 and 12 o'clock, for the reason you mentioned. No matter what kind you use, having the pedal hit in a turn could be bad.
Correct but I can recommend Rock Bros as a maker of some nice platform pedals. I sent my son in NYC a steel single speed and put a nice pair of these pedals with the bike for his comfort and safety riding in the city. The bike had some campy steel pedals with leather Brooks straps but these take experience and still not a good city choice.

https://www.rockbrosusa.com/pedals

Last edited by joesch; 05-29-20 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-29-20, 11:01 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

For those who are convinced that clipless pedals make a huge difference, this will be worth a few minutes of your time.

There are a lot of opinions on clipless out there and not a lot of testing to support beliefs one way or another.
Old 05-29-20, 01:04 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
For those who are convinced that clipless pedals make a huge difference, this will be worth a few minutes of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNedIJBZpgM

There are a lot of opinions on clipless out there and not a lot of testing to support beliefs one way or another.
I see your one old video and raise you 2 more recent ones.

Old 05-29-20, 01:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
If you're used to clipless, flat pedals are a great workout for the glutes - all the ass-clenching sketchiness will firm up your bottom right quick.
Old 05-29-20, 01:42 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If you're used to clipless, flat pedals are a great workout for the glutes - all the ass-clenching sketchiness will firm up your bottom right quick.
Right now I'm using flats on the new mountain bike, but as soon as the Sidis arrive, I'm going to SPD pedals. I couldn't imagine using them on a road bike.
Old 05-29-20, 01:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Right now I'm using flats on the new mountain bike, but as soon as the Sidis arrive, I'm going to SPD pedals. I couldn't imagine using them on a road bike.
I bought some of those Shimano dual-sided SPD/flat pedals for the gravel bike, which is also used for grocery/liquor store runs - I figured that it'd be nice to be able to hop on with whatever footwear I had on. I did that a couple times annnnd.... nope. I'll take the 30 seconds to throw on my SPD shoes, thanks.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-29-20, 02:36 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by surak

https://youtu.be/AkMCYYNTWUY
https://youtu.be/CVUnngkENeA

Thanks for sharing those. Some of it surprising, like up to a 30% gain in sprint. It would have been interesting to have found riders who were accustomed to riding flats and put them in clipless to see how they do. It stands to reason that you going to do best doing things the way you always do them. My road bike has clipless. All of my others used to. One of the stated concerns many posters here voiced was that they were worried about their foot slipping off the pedal. I have ridden extensively with clipless and flats and have had far more clipless related issues than flats related issues. I am not exactly a model of grace so take that for whatever that is worth!
Old 05-29-20, 03:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by surak

https://youtu.be/AkMCYYNTWUY
https://youtu.be/CVUnngkENeA
The previous video and the first one you posted here pretty much confirms what I have found: There is actually very little difference between them UNTIL you start to sprint as hard as you can, then the difference is significant.

That second video is utterly useless, as they are using a TERRIBLE shoes pedals for the flats. I really can't wrap my head around why they did that. What a waste of bandwidth.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-29-20 at 03:45 PM.