Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Making my Ti bike a "trophy bike", deep cleaning, long-term storage, lessons learned

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Making my Ti bike a "trophy bike", deep cleaning, long-term storage, lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 01:42 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by fuji_owner
Interesting.... how is it being rebuilt into a trainer-only bike.. does that mean it doesn't go outside? I might do something like that in the future with my Seven.
It's going to be redone in my tri position, mechanical 11-speed, no brakes, no brake levers, would go 1x if it were actually cheaper, and will be permanently bolted to my trainer. The R2 and P2 will be the outdoor bikes; the R2 is going to need to be rebuilt in all likelihood because of the gallons of sweat I've poured into it during lockdown. The rear brake is stiff, and I assume the BB is in sorry shape. The FD might not be happy either. No more of that, and the S1 can continue contributing to my success.
Old 05-29-20, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
LOL, This "basic" bike frame was, and still is, the best Ti frame that money can buy. Care to explain what is "basic" about it, and what you consider as "really special"?
Frame-wise, it’s just a Seven that looks a lot like other Sevens I’ve seen. Not like it’s a one-of-kind Engin or something.
Old 05-29-20, 02:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not like it’s a one-of-kind Engin or something.
A what? I don't think that I've ever heard of such a thing.
Old 05-29-20, 02:01 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Taking a trip and/or shipping the bike and having some BF fun while he's at it.

Tell me....Is my bike protected and boxed up because I am putting it away in storage forever or because I flew to Italy with it?

BTW...Any idea what that BuxumBox retails for these days? Pretty pricey "tomb."

Well, if this is the OP just having fun with us then I applaud him! Not that I'd ever start a misleading but fun thread...

The pricey box pretty much proves the OP is serious. If he's never going to sell the bike (stated in the OP) a fancy protective box will come in handy many times.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 05-29-20 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 02:03 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I guess your definition of "basic" and "special" are different. Seven only makes custom bikes, so unless you and I are exactly matched up in body dimensions and riding preferences, mine is a unique bike and so will yours. But also, if you've observed Seven's welds, you would know why they are so special. Those welds are so perfect, no extra material, perfectly shaped beautiful crescent moons overlapping.

I've spent hours in bike shops looking at welds, and none of the mass manufacturers care about the welds. Even other Ti frames have ugly welds, either all smoothed out or big lumps. So I would say all in all, Seven frames are pretty special.
Nice welds indeed. When it comes to Ti construction, I imagine that welds are the most common point of failure, given the technical difficulties in welding Ti, so as I see it, the more experience the welder has, the better (ie, high volume isn't necessarily a vice). My bog standard mass-produced Litespeed has pretty decent welds too. I think the point others are making is that, at the end of the day, your Seven is a mass-produced (albeit very well-made - I'm not denigrating Seven at all) consumer item that anyone with a few grand to spend on a frame can buy - it's not the Mona Lisa.

Last edited by Litespud; 05-29-20 at 02:23 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-29-20, 02:05 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
OP: that bike really is beautiful. I just wanted to say that. I've got my own "trophy" ti bike that I'm into for probably as much as yours, and mine doesn't look half as nice, though I value mine for other reasons that make it extremely well suited to me. To my particular aesthetic sensibility I think your bike is stunning. As much as I recognize the human tendency to personify inanimate objects as objectively ridiculous, I find myself shedding a metaphorical tear for your bike to imagine it locked away like this. If a bike can be personified in some way above just being a collection of inanimate molecules, I'd say your bike "deserves" to be ridden and enjoyed, not locked up in some gilded cage.

There are many ways you could upgrade your bike to deal with different terrain, such as changing your chainrings to compact size (assuming your crank spider will support that, otherwise you could change the crankset). If you're into personification of inanimate objects it may feel like a personal betrayal of parts that have served you well so far, but if you need to take a moment of silence while swapping parts to thank them for their service, you'll get over it. The new parts will become a part of that bike's identity and history, and you can continue to enjoy riding that bike.

Oh, and with well over 5000 miles on that original chain, you should really measure it and see how much it's "stretched" due to wear. I'd say there's a 99.9% chance your chain has already stretched to the point where it's now actively wearing out the teeth of your chainrings and cassette. If those parts could speak, they'd be begging you for a new chain. Don't let them down!
Old 05-29-20, 02:09 PM
fuji_owner

Bikes: 2012 Seven Axiom SL; Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Frame-wise, it’s just a Seven that looks a lot like other Sevens I’ve seen. Not like it’s a one-of-kind Engin or something.
Oh, the many "one-of-kind" Engin frames with round tubes and 3 triangles? It's just an Engin than looks "a lot" like other Engins.
Old 05-29-20, 02:14 PM
indyfabz

Oh, the many "one-of-kind" Engin frames with round tubes and 3 triangles? It's just an Engin than looks "a lot" like other Engins.
wut

BTW... Your welds remind me of a woman in a beautiful, right dress with bulging panty lines showing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-29-20, 02:17 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Have you seen many Engin frames? I've never seen one "in the wild".

I've seen dozens of Sevens at my shop, and demoed several.
Old 05-29-20, 02:18 PM
noodle soup

wut

BTW... Your welds remind me of a woman in a beautiful, right dress with bulging panty lines showing.
I like the file marks on the welds. I guess the imperfections make it unique.
Old 05-29-20, 02:28 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I've worked for a shop that used Seven for customers that want a custom framesets(along with Moots and Pegoretti). They are nice bikes, but anyone can call up, and have one built for them. Yes the welds are nice, but can you see them now that they packed away in a box.
Are you missing my point on purpose? Anyone can call and have one built for them, but no two of those will be identical even in fundamental frame geometry. That's what makes a custom frame one-of-a-kind.

When I first got the frame, I took really high res pics that show facets of the frame that are hard to see even for the naked eye.
Old 05-29-20, 02:30 PM
fuji_owner

Have you seen many Engin frames? I've never seen one "in the wild".

I've seen dozens of Sevens at my shop, and demoed several.
Yeah, the supply matches the demand. Must be something special if there's so much demand.
Old 05-29-20, 02:34 PM
fuji_owner

wut

LOL, you got fooled by high res visual perspective and light. If you actually see the frame in person, you'll know how minimal and subtle the welds are.
Old 05-29-20, 02:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
I will if I move back to the road conditions that are good for this bike.
I don't understand. I ride my Seven everywhere, mountains, city, even some dirt.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-29-20, 03:03 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by big john
I don't understand. I ride my Seven everywhere, mountains, city, even some dirt.
Some people buy items they can’t really afford, and then spend a lifetime worrying about damaging it while it’s being used.
Old 05-29-20, 03:12 PM
noodle soup

Yeah, the supply matches the demand. Must be something special if there's so much demand.
Engin has a long waiting list. The demand is high, but they aren’t looking to churn out 100s of bikes every Quarter.

Your Seven is a nice bike, but it shouldn’t be packed away for safe keeping, unless storage space is at a premium.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-29-20, 03:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
It's a tool, not a jewel. I do have a couple bikes in the garage I haven't ridden in a long time. I would give them away to the right person, I've given bikes away before or sold them cheap. If I got a new road bike I would try to sell my Seven.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-29-20, 03:25 PM
noodle soup

Your Seven is a nice bike, but it shouldn’t be packed away for safe keeping, unless storage space is at a premium.
FTR, I keep a classic Italian bike in my home office/man cave, because I really love the bike, and want to see it regularly. I also have a couple of framsets in boxes because I tend to collect bike parts. I might use some of them again, but I don’t have the space to keep all the bikes I own assembled.
Old 05-29-20, 03:25 PM
indyfabz

LOL, you got fooled by high res visual perspective and light. If you actually see the frame in person, you'll know how minimal and subtle the welds are.
A. You’re not fooling me.

B. I see mediocre every day, so no loss.
Old 05-29-20, 03:27 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Some people buy items they can’t really afford, and then spend a lifetime worrying about damaging it while it’s being used.
You should see the high end watch crowd - I dip into a few forums 'cos I like mechanical watches, but I'm no collector - I own one $350 well-patina'd watch. People there spend thousands/tens of thousands on uber-watches, freak out at any flaws visible only through a high-power loupe, spend their lives walking sideways through doorways to avoid the risk if knocking their watch off the doorframe, or laying napkins or cloths under their left wrists when they're eating or typing, to avoid scuffing the bracelets, and obsessing about the accuracy, when the irony is that a $10 Casio is inherently more accurate than a $10,000 Rolex. And don't even start on the obsessing about not getting built-like-a-brick-sh1thouse diving watches wet.....

Last edited by Litespud; 05-29-20 at 03:34 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-29-20, 03:41 PM
fuji_owner

A. You’re not fooling me.

B. I see mediocre every day, so no loss.
No, you don't need any help from me getting fooled.
Old 05-29-20, 03:42 PM
fuji_owner

Originally Posted by big john
You don't have to understand. To each his own.
Likes For fuji_owner:
Old 05-29-20, 03:47 PM
noodle soup

I’m not disputing the fact that it’s a really nice bike, I just don’t understand why you would bubble wrap it, and hide it away in a box.

It’s not a priceless show bike, that was blessed by the Pope.

Last edited by noodle soup; 05-29-20 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 03:53 PM
fuji_owner

Engin has a long waiting list. The demand is high, but they aren’t looking to churn out 100s of bikes every Quarter.

So you're saying they are psychotic? They have the demand, but they want to keep people waiting? Seven started small and got bigger and so they are meeting the demand and keeping the wait times reasonably small. This is typical growth of free enterprise.

There is nothing to gain from dissing Seven just because someone picked a lesser-known builder because that would make them think they have a "special" bike.

Last edited by fuji_owner; 05-29-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 03:57 PM
noodle soup

So you're saying they are psychotic? They have the demand, but they want to keep people waiting? Seven started small and got bigger and so they are meeting the demand and keeping the wait times reasonably small. This is typical growth of free enterprise.

There is nothing to gain from dissing Seven just because they picked a lesser-known builder because that would make them think they have a "special" bike.
I guess you’ve never heard of Vanilla Bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.