Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I am a laid-back guy.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I am a laid-back guy.

Old 05-29-20, 07:06 PM
  #1  
wafranklin
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am a laid-back guy.

I am a laid-back guy.
But when someone messes with me when I am riding my bike my temper spikes fast and dangerously.
It takes alot of effort for me to calm myself down which is, or course, the best plan.
My impulse is to chase down the offending driver and have a confrontation.
Seems like it has something to do with the exercise getting my juices flowing or something.
I do alot of weight lifting and don't have the temper spikes, but then I don't have
drivers honking and swerving at me with their cars while at the gym.
I wonder if others have this issue.
wafranklin is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 07:11 PM
  #2  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 142 Posts
Just an annoying bike rider to other people. Your safety is not something they'll naturally respect especially when laws are "written" to protect you while pedaling.
Troul is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 07:14 PM
  #3  
Oneder
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 822

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
I get more wary while on the bike than anything, but it is understandable since your adrenaline is up while riding. Just try and stay in control. I do keep a large u-lock with me in case I get someone attacking me or something but so far no problem yet though I have had idiots yelling about nonsense ad nauseum because most people are entitled idiots who don't have any idea what the laws are they just get mad if they have to wait 2 seconds for a cicyclist or step aside one foot or pay attention for 2 seconds of their selfish life.
Oneder is offline  
Likes For Oneder:
Old 05-29-20, 07:15 PM
  #4  
Pugs2xLove
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
Thank God I haven't encountered any road rage behind the handlebar. There are a handful of idiotic drivers and a few bikers that get under my skin but I laughed it off and pedaled on. Not worth it IMO.
Pugs2xLove is offline  
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 05-29-20, 07:33 PM
  #5  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,415

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 247 Posts
I don't respond well to people who threaten or endanger me.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 07:44 PM
  #6  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,378
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11643 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 1,850 Posts
A laid-back Fred?
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 07:50 PM
  #7  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by wafranklin View Post
But when someone messes with me when I am riding my bike my temper spikes fast and dangerously.
Clearly you need to let that temper loose, run the perp down and get some satisfaction. There are too many of us skinny armed, mild mannered cyclists about.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-20, 07:54 PM
  #8  
Strange
Member
 
Strange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 38

Bikes: Rossignoli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
If riding your bike lowers your excitability threshold and your inhibitions do at least one of the following things: learn and practice anger management techniques and/or stop riding. There are a lot of people walking through life with a very short fuse, and getting into a hassle with them is potentially deadly. It’s truly shocking how quickly a random encounter with such a person can escalate from words to violence. A few things to remember:

1) The best way to deal with trouble is to avoid it in the first place. No matter how much righteous indignation you feel be aware that responding angrily will *not* convince the other person of your rightness and their wrongness. It will only serve to escalate the situation further.

2) You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by getting into a hassle with someone. No amount of argument or adversarial behavior will make the situation right, but it may very likely lead to bad or even catestrophic consequences for you.

3) You have no idea the kind of person you’re dealing with. They could be anyone from Caspar Milktoast to a baby mutilating criminal sociopath. You have no idea of their present state of mind, their level of self control, their propensity for aggression and violence, their amenity to reason or the abject lack of same, their physical capacity for violence, their criminal history, or really anything else about them. Do not assume anything based on a person’s superficial appearance, the vehicle they’re driving, or any other immediate impression of them.

4) Rash behavior can cause you a lifetime of regret. No matter how much anger you feel in the moment it will eventually subside and, unless you’re a sociopath, you’ll get over it. But if in that moment of anger you do something with irrevocable consequences you will find that years after your anger has dissipated the consequences of your actions will still be with you.

Just a few things to bear in mind.
Strange is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 08:05 PM
  #9  
GlennR
Passing on your left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,737

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 467 Posts
I've snapped off a few right hand mirrors in my time. And I keep telling myself to calm down, but i've seen drivers almost hit me when they're the only one on a multi lane road. Or pass me only to make a right turn right in front of me.

Once had 2 girls in a minivan come up right behind me and lay on the horn. I must of passed them and they did it again. After the 3rd time, I was able to catch up to them at a light and bang on the driver's window. They were so surprised they ran through the red light.

That taught me a lesson and i've not had any "bike" rage since. I don't want anyone to get hurt.
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-29-20, 08:18 PM
  #10  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by Strange View Post
If riding your bike lowers your excitability threshold and your inhibitions do at least one of the following things: learn and practice anger management techniques and/or stop riding. There are a lot of people walking through life with a very short fuse, and getting into a hassle with them is potentially deadly. It’s truly shocking how quickly a random encounter with such a person can escalate from words to violence. A few things to remember:

1) The best way to deal with trouble is to avoid it in the first place. No matter how much righteous indignation you feel be aware that responding angrily will *not* convince the other person of your rightness and their wrongness. It will only serve to escalate the situation further.

2) You have nothing to gain and everything to lose by getting into a hassle with someone. No amount of argument or adversarial behavior will make the situation right, but it may very likely lead to bad or even catestrophic consequences for you.

3) You have no idea the kind of person you’re dealing with. They could be anyone from Caspar Milktoast to a baby mutilating criminal sociopath. You have no idea of their present state of mind, their level of self control, their propensity for aggression and violence, their amenity to reason or the abject lack of same, their physical capacity for violence, their criminal history, or really anything else about them. Do not assume anything based on a person’s superficial appearance, the vehicle they’re driving, or any other immediate impression of them.

4) Rash behavior can cause you a lifetime of regret. No matter how much anger you feel in the moment it will eventually subside and, unless you’re a sociopath, you’ll get over it. But if in that moment of anger you do something with irrevocable consequences you will find that years after your anger has dissipated the consequences of your actions will still be with you.

Just a few things to bear in mind.
One of the best posts I've ever seen on BF. Thanks
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-29-20, 08:26 PM
  #11  
vane171
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Ride your bike so as not to provoke car drivers with your arrogant riding. Bike is not an automobile and should be ridden accordingly. I use both as most of us do and we don't cause problem. Problematic are those bikers who are saving the Earth by riding bikes and who developed resentment towards those who use cars.
vane171 is offline  
Likes For vane171:
Old 05-29-20, 08:31 PM
  #12  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,172
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171 View Post
Problematic are those bikers who are saving the Earth by riding bikes and who developed resentment towards those who use cars.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 08:35 PM
  #13  
GlennR
Passing on your left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,737

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171 View Post
Ride your bike so as not to provoke car drivers with your arrogant riding.
So you think the cyclists are the antagonists?

I find the opposite that some drivers feel cyclists don't belong on the streets. That some go out of their way and do risky things.

Personally, I ride defensively since in a car - bicycle collision, the bike always loses.
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-29-20, 08:37 PM
  #14  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171 View Post
Ride your bike so as not to provoke car drivers with your arrogant riding. Bike is not an automobile and should be ridden accordingly. I use both as most of us do and we don't cause problem. Problematic are those bikers who are saving the Earth by riding bikes and who developed resentment towards those who use cars.
I think you’ve lost the plot. We’re discussing cases in which motorists harass/menace/endanger cyclists when they (the cyclists) have done nothing wrong.

If this has never happened to you, then you’re pretty lucky. Perhaps you have not been riding for very long… Or perhaps you live in North Dakota.
Koyote is online now  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-29-20, 08:44 PM
  #15  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 6,797

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 484 Posts
Good way to get shot
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-29-20, 09:47 PM
  #16  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 6,251

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 250 Posts
Ride your bike only indoors in a small box while watching shows on diesel trucks and gas powered super cars on a T.V. powered by a gas generator so as not to upset drivers with your pedal powered arrogance. Streets are only for cars and it says so in the constitution and also stay off sidewalks which are only for gas powered and e-scooters. I am a pedestrian too but you don't see me clogging up passages for motorized vehicles which should always have the right of way in every single situation as it is their road and they are the only ones who ever pay taxes on them while bikes and walkers go around creating potholes and cracks in the sidewalk which ruin my car.

Remember bikes are toys and nothing else. Cars are for responsible adults to drive as they please and do as they please on the roads because those are exclusively their roads that were divined to them by Asphalt Jesus.

Last edited by veganbikes; 05-29-20 at 10:03 PM.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-29-20, 10:47 PM
  #17  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,249
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 508 Times in 299 Posts
Might be the saddle.

Try a recumbent.
woodcraft is online now  
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-29-20, 10:51 PM
  #18  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,200

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
Might be the saddle.

Try a recumbent.
From the title, I assumed this thread was about recumbents.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-29-20, 11:02 PM
  #19  
shrimp123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
there are two songs from Beatles that i sing to myself when i get angry on my bike
- if you have got trouble
then i take a deep breath and
- let it be
If i happen to pass by at the next signal, "smile and wave boys".... remember all five fingers, no favorites!

I hate being honked at... hey, i have even been charcoal-ed once. But, I LOVE biking so much that i refuse to let some jackass get me into a situation that might ruin it for me (don't care about him/her).
shrimp123 is offline  
Likes For shrimp123:
Old 05-29-20, 11:10 PM
  #20  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,567

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
I get more wary while on the bike than anything, but it is understandable since your adrenaline is up while riding. Just try and stay in control. I do keep a large u-lock with me in case I get someone attacking me or something but so far no problem yet though I have had idiots yelling about nonsense ad nauseum because most people are entitled idiots who don't have any idea what the laws are they just get mad if they have to wait 2 seconds for a cicyclist or step aside one foot or pay attention for 2 seconds of their selfish life.
Where the heck are you riding? From this and a few of your other posts it sounds like you’re cycling in a Mad Max type scenario.

You write that most people are “entitled idiots who don’t have any idea what the laws are they just get mad if they have to wait 2 seconds.” MOST people? Really? In my experience I’d say a tiny, tiny fraction of drivers act that way.

If you feel like you need to carry a u-lock for self-defense, you might want to reconsider riding. Or maybe move. Knitting or stamp collecting are pretty safe alternatives. You also might not want to post about your u-lock self-defense system on the internet. Guess what happens when you clock one of those drivers with your u-lock? Your internet post won’t look good in court.
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 11:28 PM
  #21  
Oneder
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 822

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat View Post
Where the heck are you riding? From this and a few of your other posts it sounds like you’re cycling in a Mad Max type scenario.

You write that most people are “entitled idiots who don’t have any idea what the laws are they just get mad if they have to wait 2 seconds.” MOST people? Really? In my experience I’d say a tiny, tiny fraction of drivers act that way.

If you feel like you need to carry a u-lock for self-defense, you might want to reconsider riding. Or maybe move. Knitting or stamp collecting are pretty safe alternatives. You also might not want to post about your u-lock self-defense system on the internet. Guess what happens when you clock one of those drivers with your u-lock? Your internet post won’t look good in court.
It pretty much is mad max, at least when it comes to dealing with pedestrians. Most of the drivers are OK but there are a lot of them on some of the roads I pass to get to the bike trail. I don't care if the cops see that, I would never do anything that was unwarranted and they are not going to chase people down over a minor incident anyway. Hotheads aside (and there's lots of them who object to me being on the sidewalk or being in the bike lane or being in the gutter or on and on) I've been attacked by homeless people by surprise before and if that happens on the bike then I want to be sure I am ready.

I already moved from california because the whole state has turned into a dumpster fire which is unlivable unless you are a retired multimillionaire or otherwise lucky enough to live in a beach city and not to have to commute. It's actually pretty safe here in vegas but between the street people and hot/cold/windy weather the awful drivers and the plentiful traffic it is not the best bicycle environment. I am sure out in the country it is better but the whole country is changing dramatically and it shows no signs of slowing down or changing for the better any time soon.
Oneder is offline  
Old 05-29-20, 11:41 PM
  #22  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,567

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder View Post
It pretty much is mad max, at least when it comes to dealing with pedestrians. Most of the drivers are OK but there are a lot of them on some of the roads I pass to get to the bike trail. I don't care if the cops see that, I would never do anything that was unwarranted and they are not going to chase people down over a minor incident anyway. Hotheads aside (and there's lots of them who object to me being on the sidewalk or being in the bike lane or being in the gutter or on and on) I've been attacked by homeless people by surprise before and if that happens on the bike then I want to be sure I am ready.

I already moved from california because the whole state has turned into a dumpster fire which is unlivable unless you are a retired multimillionaire or otherwise lucky enough to live in a beach city and not to have to commute. It's actually pretty safe here in vegas but between the street people and hot/cold/windy weather the awful drivers and the plentiful traffic it is not the best bicycle environment. I am sure out in the country it is better but the whole country is changing dramatically and it shows no signs of slowing down or changing for the better any time soon.
Your hyperbole cracks me up. I can assure you the whole state has not turned into a dumpster fire. Now, I don’t care to live there, but your characterization is almost amusing.

Out in the country? The Dallas area has almost 4 times the population of the Las Vegas area. The drivers here are nothing like what you describe in “the big city.”
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 04:13 AM
  #23  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 27,378
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11643 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 1,850 Posts
Could have sworn I clicked on General and not A&S. Guess not.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-30-20, 04:42 AM
  #24  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,306

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 297 Posts
Keep your ego in check and keep your emotions under control...There is nothing wrong with having an aggressive and dangerous side...but don't use it until your life is really in danger. There is no need to go into berserker rage just because some person honks at you or because some driver gives you a finger, those are not real threats, they're just emotional responses from people who lack self-control. Save the beast that's within you for when you really need it.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-30-20, 04:55 AM
  #25  
jack pot 
Fxxxxr
 
jack pot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: falfurrias texas
Posts: 566

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 189 Posts
bike rage is road rage minus 2 wheels & 2000 lbs > chill or die
__________________
... and so it goes
jack pot is offline  
Likes For jack pot:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.