Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Alcohol and You

Old 03-06-17, 10:51 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
...it all is a reminder of the old Sufi tale where an adoring adherent extolled the virtues of the teacher saying his inspirational guidance had changed her life -- that she'd given up cigarettes years ago and had not one since -- to which the teacher responded by reaching into his breast pocket, pulled out a pack of cigarettes and said, "you now, it's the habit that's bad, not the cigarettes."
Old 03-06-17, 10:15 PM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wine drinker, but when I'm trying to train I give myself one night a week after a long ride where I will indulge in a few with dinner. Other than that, I lay off the grape as much as possible.
Old 03-06-17, 10:58 PM
McBTC

...those who don't drink tend to die sooner than those who do?

Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds - TIME
Old 03-07-17, 07:27 AM
rayman54

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S3 Ultegra 2012 TREK Superfly 29'r FS 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
...those who don't drink tend to die sooner than those who do?

Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers, Study Finds - TIME
Well maybe not.........

Moderate Drinking Might Not Help You Live Longer After All - Alcoholism - Health.com
Old 03-07-17, 10:28 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by rayman54
After the study authors "corrected" this issue, Chikritzhs said, they found no sign of a life span benefit from moderate drinking... In addition, she said, "among people who drink, it was actually the 'occasional' drinkers—those who drank less than a drink every 10 days or so—who did the best." But, she added, this finding appears to be a statistical fluke because that isn't enough alcohol to influence health.
From which I'd conclude given the information and definitions in these two articles that having a glass of champagne at a wedding and a year end toast (the occasional drinker) won't kill you nor improve your health and drinking up to 3 drinks every day (the moderate drinker) won't kill you nor improve your health. So the single beer or glass of wine a day drinker or maybe even two or three a day with a few days off entirely during the week (the neglected tenderfoot drinker) probably can safely conclude that there are no negative health consequences due to the consumption of that amount of alcohol and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, even entertain the notion that some alcohol may even convey a modest health benefit to the tenderfoot drinker--e.g., a few glasses of IPA a week helps keep the doctor away? Or, maybe not.

Last edited by McBTC; 03-07-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-01-20, 10:11 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick, from the opening post
I also worried about the potential health issues of drinking 5-6 nights a week. It didn’t seem like a wise long term plan to me, but I was hooked. With some struggle, I’ve managed to cut back to only 1 or 2 nights a week, and I sleep and feel much better.
That was back at the beginning of 2017. By 2018, I was back up to drinking 5-6 nights a week. “Only” 2 beers and a shot or 2 each night, I never had a hangover or issues that affected my daily life. Still, I was again concerned with the sleep disturbance, and the potential long term effects. It can’t be good.

Determined to cut back again, I applied myself and kept a strict log though all of 2019. January through October, I managed 50/50. Equal days with and without drinking. Usually 4/3 or 3/4 per week. I found I was sometimes anxious or irritable without, and didn’t even enjoy it as much on the nights I did drink. I sometimes felt like I hated drinking, but also hated not drinking. It wasn't fun, but I couldn't stop. Then in September or so, I started to get heart palpitations that would not go away. Several tests showed nothing wrong with my heart.

Research showed me that alcohol withdrawal could cause the palpitations. Could I be keeping myself in perpetual withdrawal? In November and December, I only drank twice each month. Each drink rekindled the urge to drink again in the following days. I decided this sucks, I need to just QUIT. December 31 2019 at a NYE party I had half a glass of Champaign. It gave me a buzz for a few minutes, and then a headache for an hour. That was my last drink.

Oh, and sometime in late 2019 early 2020 the palpitations went away.

5 months booze free now and I can’t say I really miss it. I’ve adjusted and don’t often think about it. When I do, I remind myself how bad I often felt back when I struggled to control it, and how it was likely not healthy long term. I didn’t plan to quit forever, but now I think it’s probably for the best if I do.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-01-20, 11:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
That was back at the beginning of 2017. By 2018, I was back up to drinking 5-6 nights a week. “Only” 2 beers and a shot or 2 each night, I never had a hangover or issues that affected my daily life. Still, I was again concerned with the sleep disturbance, and the potential long term effects. It can’t be good.

Determined to cut back again, I applied myself and kept a strict log though all of 2019. January through October, I managed 50/50. Equal days with and without drinking. Usually 4/3 or 3/4 per week. I found I was sometimes anxious or irritable without, and didn’t even enjoy it as much on the nights I did drink. I sometimes felt like I hated drinking, but also hated not drinking. It wasn't fun, but I couldn't stop. Then in September or so, I started to get heart palpitations that would not go away. Several tests showed nothing wrong with my heart.

Research showed me that alcohol withdrawal could cause the palpitations. Could I be keeping myself in perpetual withdrawal? In November and December, I only drank twice each month. Each drink rekindled the urge to drink again in the following days. I decided this sucks, I need to just QUIT. December 31 2019 at a NYE party I had half a glass of Champaign. It gave me a buzz for a few minutes, and then a headache for an hour. That was my last drink.

Oh, and sometime in late 2019 early 2020 the palpitations went away.

5 months booze free now and I can’t say I really miss it. I’ve adjusted and don’t often think about it. When I do, I remind myself how bad I often felt back when I struggled to control it, and how it was likely not healthy long term. I didn’t plan to quit forever, but now I think it’s probably for the best if I do.
Yep. If it causes problems in your life it's better to abstain. Good job so far!
Likes For big john:
Old 06-01-20, 11:23 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Do the two of you get along well? I’d like to hear the stories of others in the 50+ crowd regarding their consumption/non-consumption of alcohol ... noticed that it was disturbing my sleep, and affecting how tired I felt the next day.
Can't say that I've had many alcoholic beverages at all, the past four decades or so. I'd estimate I typically consume somewhere between a quart and a half-gallon per year, some years even less.

These days, every once in awhile I've got a bottle of wine and/or a bottle of port opened, and actually it's rare that I can get through the whole bottle before it heads "south" a bit. Can't recall the last time I had enough to mess with my sleep or how I felt the next day, but it's been decades.

Of course, old injuries and aging are occasionally keeping me from having a good night's rest. More than a handful of "bad" (drinking) days ever did.
Old 06-01-20, 11:25 AM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Good thread and thank you to everyone for sharing.

Its so individual. I realized I had a problem a few years ago. It had crept up, going from a couple of glasses of wine a night to 3 or 4 and basically drinking until bed time. It got to the point where it was normal to feel sort of crappy in the morning.

Its a big reason I started working on my fitness and cutting back. For about a year, I measured my intake and made sure I didn’t drink more than 2 glasses and stopped completely by around 9pm. It was good to do, my sleep got better, workouts got better and lost weight better.

I started cycling last August and after a couple of months, I decided to try and stop completely. I wasn’t sure what to expect as far a withdrawal but fortunately it wasn’t bad at all. I guess I was just ready and didn’t have a really bad physical dependency. After a week, I was really stoked about stopping.

Its been fantastic. Sleep is amazing, I can sleep for 7 or even 6 hours and be refreshed. Workouts are stronger. Mood overall is better. And I am getting very lean.

I will have drinks on occasion. Like 2 weeks ago, I indulged in a couple of nice drinks outdoors with friends and wine with dinner. I actually enjoyed it. I did feel a little off the next day but not too bad and went back to abstaining again.

I feel fortunate that my experience hasn’t been too difficult as I know this is not the case for others. But for me, it’s been a total win-win.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 06-01-20, 12:30 PM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Not drinking doesn't make you live longer, it just feels that way!

Like just about anything, moderation is the key. I'll have a beer or two but wine is my poison of choice these days. Drink, don't drink whatever floats your boat.
Old 06-01-20, 02:19 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I have a strange relationship with alcohol. I basically didn't drink until I was in my mid-30's. Now 74. Then I got married and fell in with the in-laws who had beer and wine at every dinner. So, I got into beer. But, really didn't have it at my house very much. To this day I can buy a 6-pack of my favorite beer and a month later there will still be 5 bottles in the frig. Then I discovered bourbon. Oh, my. Now every night I am good for 3-6 oz of bourbon over the course of an evening. It's the bourbon but even more so it's the ritual. A special glass...sitting outside watching life go by...throwing a ball for my dog...and a mini-cigar. Quiet and peaceful.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-01-20, 02:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
did not drink until I was in the Navy.. 1966..
Old 06-01-20, 03:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
From the age of 16 to 20 I was a heavy weekend binge drinker. After a bad case of ETOH poisoning Jan 1, 1985, I decided drinking just was not worth it. Since then, I have had maybe 10 Margaritas and 10 beers total. It just does not interest me. I would rather have a good cup of coffee or a creme soda.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-01-20, 03:51 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
... Then I discovered bourbon. .
Nectar of the Gods I call it.
Old 06-01-20, 05:13 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts

Carsonville Hotel, Carsonville, PA
Old 06-01-20, 06:17 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
Congratulations, my last drink was July 27, 2014, it gets easier as time goes by. It took me a few years to go from a couple of beers on weekends to waking up each day and making a drinking plan. Factored in what time I got out of work, any work or family functions where I could not drink, how much did I have at home and was a liquor store run needed that day. I was fortunate, no DWI, no accidents, no fights. Did have some crazy eBay and Amazon purchases. I usually drank alone at home. Missed a lot of activities with my kids because I let alcohol take over my life.

I don't preach the evils of alcohol, that never worked for me when I was drinking. Many people can handle a few drinks with no issues, others, like me, cannot drink in moderation. Oh we can, at first, but it will quickly spiral out of control. I found a lot of help and support on the forums at https://soberrecovery.com I took the rational recovery route, no meetings or steps involved. I now can easily be around people drinking socially with no desire to join in.

One benefit for me on being sober is I rediscovered my love of cycling. Did a lot of riding recreationally mid 1990s to early 2000s. Since I stopped drinking my weight is down, health is good, I sleep better and the chronic indigestion I had for years is gone.

Yes, I do sometimes miss a good IPA or a strong gin and tonic, not as much as I used too, but I know I can never do that again, I'd much rather ride my bike.

Last edited by KenCT; 06-01-20 at 07:36 PM.
Likes For KenCT:
Old 06-01-20, 08:53 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by KenCT
Congratulations, my last drink was July 27, 2014, it gets easier as time goes by. It took me a few years to go from a couple of beers on weekends to waking up each day and making a drinking plan. Factored in what time I got out of work, any work or family functions where I could not drink, how much did I have at home and was a liquor store run needed that day.
Thanks, Ken.

Wow on your story, and congratulations to you! I was never in that deep. I always hated drinking during the day, (even one) as it would cause me to lose all ambition and then I'd get nothing done. Just a few before bed for me. I also never binged. But I'm only 135 pounds, so 3-4 drinks is a lot!

My wife has been very supportive. Last year when I wanted to cut back her suggestion was to drop the shots. So sometimes I would wait until she went in the shower to hit 'em! Even then I knew that sneaking a drink was a big red flag. I knew in my heart it would be better to quit now, than to wait until things got worse, or I got ill.

Yes, I do sometimes miss a good IPA or a strong gin and tonic, not as much as I used too, but I know I can never do that again, I'd much rather ride my bike.

Not drinking already no longer feels difficult for me. More like I no longer have that monkey on my back. Honestly, I wasn't even enjoying it many nights, just feeding the habit. If I still thought it was fun and it didn't come with the undesirable drawbacks, I'd still be drinking. I did enjoy it for many years, and now I don't.

Thanks to everyone for posting thoughts, stories and even drinking pics!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-01-20, 10:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I self medicated myself out of debilitating social awkwardness in my late teens with alcohol and marijuana, then avoided all intoxicants through college until about age 45. Weird, I know, everyone else started drinking in college, while I stopped.

Now 60, I'll have two to four beers a week.

Weight is the biggest concern. I have to cut back when the weight creeps up.
Old 06-02-20, 01:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I've had to quit drinking since my 2017 post to this thread. I never drank too much but it got to the point that even a single beer gave me hangover symptoms within a couple of hours. Took all the pleasure out of beer and wine.

It seemed to worsen as my auto-immune disorder and thyroid problem got worse in 2018. I tried other beers, ales, wines, alcohols... didn't seem to make any consistent difference. So I just quit completely late last year. Can't say I really miss it.

I see some filters that purport to remove the sulfites and histamines from wine that other folks describe as giving them the same reactions I had. I might try one for beer or wine just to see if it helps.

On the plus side, even though I drank only one or two beers at a time a few times a week, it was still mostly empty calories. I've lost almost another 10 lbs this year without trying, and 25 lbs since resuming cycling in 2015, when many of my casual group rides were pub crawls. Those beer calories do add up. I weigh the same now as I did in my late teens and early 20s, although I'm nowhere near as fit or well toned.
Old 06-02-20, 02:07 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Congrats on withdrawing from the withdrawals, so to speak.

I've become a "sip or two" type, myself. Never was much "into" alcoholic beverages, ever, but I get the taste for a few minutes, then I move on. Though, other than shots at the local bar, or aperatifs at the local highbrow restaurant, it's hard to find such small amounts available. And so, I open the rare bottle, now and then, and know I won't get through more than a small percentage of it before it goes bad on me. I'm okay with that, waste though it is.

Lots of good flavors out there. I've just resigned myself to appreciating a good sip or two, knowing I avoid all the bad aspects but get to savor the good. Works for me.
Old 06-02-20, 05:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10890 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
I realized that I had to make a self-intervention when I was 32. First of all, I have an alcoholic brother and an alcoholic sister that died of alcoholism at age 48. I was heading that way and decided that I had to stop. I found it was easier to avoid alcohol all together than to try and become a responsible drinker.

About 18 years after going cold turkey, I was at a neighborhood cookout and a neighbor begged me to have a beer with him and I did. About 15 minutes later, he pointed out that I had just finished my third beer and I had almost without realizing it. I walked home and almost cried. Anyway, that was in 1999 and I think I may have had a sip or two of wine since but about gagged.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 06-02-20, 06:40 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I have a beer once or twice a week. I drink craft brews and didn't start drinking until my 40s. It helps to take of the edge every once in a while.
Old 06-02-20, 10:15 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I've enjoyed drinking all of my adult life, and now at 72 I enjoy it more than ever. Wine every night with dinner, and a Manhattan in bed at night while reading. Sometimes I have a cocktail while cooking dinner. I try to limit my drinking to two drinks a day, but sometimes have three. I'm healthy and physically fit. I love the way alcohol relaxes me. In addition, the slight buzz I get from drinking makes me feel good. The world looks better to me after a Manhattan or a Negroni.
Old 06-02-20, 10:45 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
I've enjoyed drinking all of my adult life, and now at 72 I enjoy it more than ever. Wine every night with dinner, and a Manhattan in bed at night while reading. Sometimes I have a cocktail while cooking dinner. I try to limit my drinking to two drinks a day, but sometimes have three. I'm healthy and physically fit. I love the way alcohol relaxes me. In addition, the slight buzz I get from drinking makes me feel good. The world looks better to me after a Manhattan or a Negroni.
Yep, same here. I enjoy a beer and a glass or two of wine. I keep myself very fit and always have several days a week with no alcohol so I enjoy it all the more when I do.
Old 06-02-20, 11:12 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I didn't drink alcohol at all until I met my wife in my 30's, a Belgian, who wanted me to sample her homelands beers. I am still not a drinker per se, only a very social drinker at best. I might have a glass of wine once per month, maybe a beer once per month. Sometimes 2x. I like the local Sangria - I can polish off half a litre of that on a night out, which leaves me very mellow indeed (I am such a lightweight ) but that too is rare.

I don't drink coffee either. So instead...I poison myself with too much Coke Zero and Red Bull Sugar-free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.