Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cleaning With Power Washer

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-06-20, 03:10 PM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I know there are some who do this on a Regular basis and Some who think it's the worst Idea in the world. The Videos I watched with Professionals Cleaning,They all Used Power Washers and Compressed Air to dry the Bikes off . .

I have 4 Bikes to Wash : With Grand kids 2 of them get dirty pretty fast > None are Cheapo Bikes 3 Treks and 1 Specialized : The Most Expensive of The 4 is a Dual Sport 4 . The Least Expensive was a Woman's 2019 Trek Verve 2.

3 weeks ago I spent all of 5 Hours carefully cleaning theses Bikes : I used Brushes , Pipe Cleaners ,Rags Etc . Used My Park Tool Chain Cleaner on all 4.

TODAY they were all fairly dirty again: Oily dirt all over the Drive Train : The Bike Trails have water in Several Spots due to the excessive rain this Season. There's no way to avoid going thru the Mud at least Once a Ride. Regardless of the Trails used

I mixed some 8 Ball Siding and Auto Cleaner in a spray bottle : I also used Kerosene in a Spray Mixture on the chains and areas where oily dirt was packed . I used Wesley's on the Tires> Let them set about 15 minutes: Then Power Washed ,Compressor Dried and Re-lubed the Chains. Took me Exactly 85 minutes :

The only places I used a brush were on dried mud on the tires sidewalls :

They came out Cleaner then Normal with 1/10 of the Elbow Grease normally use :
Old 06-06-20, 03:22 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Nothing wrong with power washing a bike. Even at 3500 psi I don't think that it will remove the paint. I would just be cautious with the amount of pressure.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 06-07-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-06-20, 03:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
All you need is a standard hose with VERY little pressure. Using a "power" washer is a good was to get water into the bearings and washing the grease away.

Just yesterday I came home from a ride on damp roads and path and my bike was covered with sand, dirt and grit. I "gently" washed the bike with a hose set at a very light setting and it removed all the dirt. I then cleaned the chain and drivetrain.

I quick wipe down with a microfiber cloth and it's perfectly clean.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-06-20, 04:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
I’ve been using car washes for ages when I get around to washing my bikes (which is seldom). All my bearings are sealed unit now but they haven’t always been. It’s never been an issue. Just don’t use the most powerful part of the stream near the bearings.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-06-20, 04:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
I’ve had to do it on tour. Once when I rode through some camouflaged mud and sunk down a good 4”. Spokes splattered mud everywhere before I came to a dead stop. Took care not to spray directly into areas with bearings.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-06-20, 04:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Old 06-06-20, 08:30 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Professional mechanics know what areas to not aim the high pressure water stream at. Plus they have to clean a lot of bikes and often have to do it quickly. hterefore for them a power washer makes sense.

Cheers
Old 06-06-20, 10:23 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
What is the actual advantage of using the pressure washer? Regular hose can wash off loose dirt & the greasy parts need extra care anyway. Chain cleaning is the only part where I use reg hose & jet nozzle setting to blast off grit/grime after scrubbing with degreaser.
Old 06-07-20, 06:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18269 Post(s)
Liked 15,185 Times in 7,172 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
What is the actual advantage of using the pressure washer? Regular hose can wash off loose dirt & the greasy parts need extra care anyway. Chain cleaning is the only part where I use reg hose & jet nozzle setting to blast off grit/grime after scrubbing with degreaser.
See my story above. I actually had to work hard using the power washer to get rid of the mud in some places, like from nooks and crannies of my cantis. I had to ride a ways to town so some of the gunk got caked on from the wind and warmth of the air. Took me a good 15 min. of spraying and I still didn’t get it all.

Another time I got caught in a massive downpour on a long dirt road. Made it to camp and didn’t hit civilization until the following day after riding more wet dirt in the morning. Bike was covered in this sandy grit that again baked on. I tried a regular hose at Adventure Cycling’s headquarters, but it wasn’t up to the task. Was returning the bike to a shop that day for shipping home. Couldn’t give it to them like that. Had to spend serious time at a car wash with a power sprayer.
Old 06-07-20, 06:45 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Caked on stuff can be really hard to wash off. On tour I carry a 6" long stiff bristle narrow brush (think snow brush for car windshield) without a handle. I use that to scrub off caked on sand or mud.

Cakeg on and/or sun-baked clay-based crap is really hard to rinse off.

Cheers
Old 06-07-20, 07:12 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Using a "power" washer is a good was to get water into the bearings and washing the grease away.
Been there...done that. (But not for many, many years now).
Old 06-07-20, 08:28 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

What is the actual advantage of using the pressure washer?
Convenience. I don't have one at home but there are car washes all over the place. The car wash has soap and degreasers as part of the system.

There are also times where you can't get to a hose. Like Indyfabz, I've used car washes on tour. I rode from Toledo, OH to Philadelphi, a distance of about 950 miles. About 700 miles of it was dirt roads (Ontario) and tow paths (Niagara Falls to Philadelphia). I was going to stay in a hotel in Philadelphia but didn't want to present a filthy bike at check in. A quick power wash made it all nice and shiny and, more importantly, presentable.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-07-20, 09:51 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
YES, we've all seen team mechanics pressure washing bikes with ZERO ***** given about bearing and such.

Here's the thing, though, first off, those bikes get rebuilt and re-greased fairly often, so it's not a huge deal to be a little reckless. Plus, it's not like they keep bikes for very long anyways, so longevity isn't much of a concern.

Another thing to consider is the rider of bikes we are watching being sprayed down like they're on fire. These are usually support riders, and team mechanics don't care as much about their bikes. You can bet that Chris Froome's bike doesn't get that sort of treatment.
Old 06-07-20, 10:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Sounds like the kids need to help and learn. Would probably think the power washer was "cool"
Old 06-07-20, 12:54 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Ross520
YES, we've all seen team mechanics pressure washing bikes with ZERO ***** given about bearing and such.
No, we haven't all seen team mechanics washing bicycles. Frankly, I don't watch bicycle racing nor do I watch what team mechanics do. I have other things to do than watch bicycle racing and watching them mechanics work on bikes ranks even further down on the list.

Here's the thing, though, first off, those bikes get rebuilt and re-greased fairly often, so it's not a huge deal to be a little reckless. Plus, it's not like they keep bikes for very long anyways, so longevity isn't much of a concern.
Has anyone here said to just blast away at the bearings with a power washer? I think you'll find that the advice has been to avoid the bearings, although GCN did a video where they blasted the bearings at close range for 2 minutes without any water infiltration. If you have a problem with water getting into the bearings, there are 2 solutions. One, don't use a power washer right next to the bearings. Or, two, get better bearings with better seals.

Another thing to consider is the rider of bikes we are watching being sprayed down like they're on fire. These are usually support riders, and team mechanics don't care as much about their bikes. You can bet that Chris Froome's bike doesn't get that sort of treatment.
I think something went wrong with your language integrity modulator. We might be able to fit you in next Tuesday for a diagnostic.

Old 06-07-20, 12:59 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve been using car washes for ages when I get around to washing my bikes (which is seldom). All my bearings are sealed unit now but they haven’t always been. It’s never been an issue. Just don’t use the most powerful part of the stream near the bearings.
If you have sealed wheel bearings. If not sealed, like a boat trailer, they need to be opened, cleaned with solvent and repacked.
Old 06-07-20, 03:14 PM
Ross520

No, we haven't all seen team mechanics washing bicycles. Frankly, I don't watch bicycle racing nor do I watch what team mechanics do. I have other things to do than watch bicycle racing and watching them mechanics work on bikes ranks even further down on the list.

Has anyone here said to just blast away at the bearings with a power washer? I think you'll find that the advice has been to avoid the bearings, although GCN did a video where they blasted the bearings at close range for 2 minutes without any water infiltration. If you have a problem with water getting into the bearings, there are 2 solutions. One, don't use a power washer right next to the bearings. Or, two, get better bearings with better seals.

I think something went wrong with your language integrity modulator. We might be able to fit you in next Tuesday for a diagnostic.
What the heck are you even talking about?

Firstly, I can't fathom why a someone would get upset because I said we've all seen professional bikes being washed. I mean, A, I think a reasonable individual would understand that "all" isn't to be taken literally. And, B, if that was my intention, why has that upset you so much? God-forbid somebody think you've seen a team mechanic washing a bike... The horror!

Secondly, NEVER claimed anyone on here suggested pressure washing like pro mechanics, that deduction should elementary on your part. It sounded like the OP thought it was a good idea because the pros do it, and I just wanted to explain why they do, and he or she shouldn't.

And lastly, what? It's the truth. That's how the world works, you think everything is even-steven in professional sports? Talent takes priority, that's just a fact.

And by the way, I would STRONGLY suggest getting up on a different side of the bed tomorrow.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 06-07-20, 05:48 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Pouhana
If you have sealed wheel bearings. If not sealed, like a boat trailer, they need to be opened, cleaned with solvent and repacked.
Point to a bicycle hub with sealed bearings that uses “boat trailer” bearings. The ones that resemble boat trailer bearings are cup and cone. Since around the mid90s even those are sealed quite well and I wouldn’t worry about using a power washer around them, especially if you don’t put the nozzle right on the bearing.

On the other hand, even a poor quality sealed cartridge bearing is sealed well enough that the nozzle could be used directly on them. If something goes south on those bearings, they are simply replaced. If the bearing is a poor quality bearing, replace it with a better one.

And, frankly, “boat trailer” bearings are fairly well sealed against water. They are meant to go into the water with a boat on them, aren’t they? I don’t know many boat owners but I don’t think they spend all their time with the boat out of the water rebuilding bearings.

Old 06-07-20, 06:04 PM
cyccommute 

What the heck are you even talking about?

Firstly, I can't fathom why a someone would get upset because I said we've all seen professional bikes being washed. I mean, A, I think a reasonable individual would understand that "all" isn't to be taken literally. And, B, if that was my intention, why has that upset you so much? God-forbid somebody think you've seen a team mechanic washing a bike... The horror!​​​​​
You sure sounded like you were speaking for all of us.

Secondly, NEVER claimed anyone on here suggested pressure washing like pro mechanics, that deduction should elementary on your part. It sounded like the OP thought it was a good idea because the pros do it, and I just wanted to explain why they do, and he or she shouldn't.​​​​​
You implied that it. Power washing isn’t going to melt the bike nor is it going to contaminate the bearings. If you have a bike that was built before about 1995, some care should be used around the bearings. After that...to the present day...it’s not going to matter that much. Mountain biking did in open grease systems long ago. GCN’s video even showed that directly spraying the bearings for minutes at a time doesn’t lead to water infiltration.

And lastly, what? It's the truth. That's how the world works, you think everything is even-steven in professional sports? Talent takes priority, that's just a fact.​​​​​
What’s the truth? Your last paragraph makes zero sense. Are the riders the ones that are being sprayed down like they are on fire or their bikes the object of the fire hose? If the former, I really doubt they are using actual fire hoses, so it wouldn’t matter. If the latter, again, it doesn’t really make that much of a difference.

Bicycles are durable machines and can take a lot more abuse then people think. They aren’t make of sugar that melts if shown the slightest amount of moisture.

And by the way, I would STRONGLY suggest getting up on a different side of the bed tomorrow.
​​​​
​​​​​
I’ll pass on the sleeping arrangement advice. Thanks anyway

Old 06-08-20, 11:04 AM
Ross520

You sure sounded like you were speaking for all of us.

You implied that it. Power washing isn’t going to melt the bike nor is it going to contaminate the bearings. If you have a bike that was built before about 1995, some care should be used around the bearings. After that...to the present day...it’s not going to matter that much. Mountain biking did in open grease systems long ago. GCN’s video even showed that directly spraying the bearings for minutes at a time doesn’t lead to water infiltration.

What’s the truth? Your last paragraph makes zero sense. Are the riders the ones that are being sprayed down like they are on fire or their bikes the object of the fire hose? If the former, I really doubt they are using actual fire hoses, so it wouldn’t matter. If the latter, again, it doesn’t really make that much of a difference.

Bicycles are durable machines and can take a lot more abuse then people think. They aren’t make of sugar that melts if shown the slightest amount of moisture.

I’ll pass on the sleeping arrangement advice. Thanks anyway
I'm gonna make this real simple because this a completely asinine argument and I'm tired of it...

I did not read a SINGLE reply because responding. I just started typing.

There's no way I could have addressed posts I didn't read until AFTER I posted.

​​​​​​All I was doing was trying to persuaded the OP not to pressure spray the crap out of his poor bike. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now about sounding like I was "speaking for all of us", get over it. I wasn't. And it's a dumb thing to care about even if I was. Oh no! Someone thinks all cyclists have watched a video of team mechanics washing a bike! What ignorance! Shame!

​​​​​​Please add me to ignore.

-Cheers

​​​​​​
Old 06-08-20, 12:11 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts
I'm not a moderator (and don't particularly want to be one), but still...

CHILDREN!! BEHAVE!!!
Old 06-08-20, 12:51 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I washed my bike yesterday with a bucket, some dish soap, a couple of brushes and sponge. Rinsed the soap off with a garden sprayer. The whole process took maybe 15 minutes. I have a power washer and an air compressor at home, but it's lot more hassle for one bike. For four, maybe the power washer is easier. Only way to know for sure is to do it both ways and see which is easier for you.

I bought a used wheel-set with campy chorus hubs a few years ago that was filthy from sitting in a garage for years and years. I was going to repack the bearings anyway so I decided to clean the wheels with a power washer. I wasn't careful at all and sprayed the heck out of the hubs because they were so filthy with decades of grime and dust. When i took the hubs apart they looked like they had just been serviced, so I would have no problem using a power washer on my bikes if it were easier. I have been powerwashing my off-road motorcycles for decades and the bearings are pretty much the same thing as on a bicycle.
Old 06-08-20, 12:51 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
A power washer is only powerful up close so if you are careful full I don’t see it doing any harm. IMO.
Old 06-08-20, 08:27 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 370 Posts
Power washers work. But I have had some frames end up with water in the tubes, this can lead to rust or corrosion.
Old 06-08-20, 08:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Power washers work. But I have had some frames end up with water in the tubes, this can lead to rust or corrosion.
Carbon fiber doesn't rust