Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Titanium frame builders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Titanium frame builders

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 12:06 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My top recommendation would be Firefly. However you have
Seven
Moots
Independent Fabrication
Zinn Cycles
Ti Cycles
No.22
Holland Cycles
amongst many others.

Me personally I wouldn't' do lugged stuff unless it is metal on metal lugs. If you are really looking to add carbon to the ride find someone who does ExoGrid like Holland Cycles. A pure Ti-alloy frame is going to last longer than a lugged carbon frame.
Ti lugged carbon can't be doing to bad longevity wise. Seven has been doing it since 1997.

And I don't like the idea of the exogrid style for a couple reasons. If it is glued in the full length, it won't let the carbon do its job. If it isn't glued the full length, it is an open spot for grit to get into. Unless they use a flexible adhesive, which I don't see doing in this application.
Old 06-06-20, 12:06 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by indyfabz
After all that.

Sign of the times?

Umm, sorry I narrowed my search critera??
Old 06-06-20, 12:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,216 Times in 2,363 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
Update: I am going to go with a titanium lugged carbon frame. So this pretty much leaves Seven Cycles Firefly, K Bedford Customs, and No. 22 (though their ti/carbon frames are just a carbon seat tube). Are there any other builders filling this niche in a niche market?
Dean Vader Exogrid. Very cool.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-06-20, 12:13 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My top recommendation would be Firefly. However you have
Seven
Moots
Independent Fabrication
Zinn Cycles
Ti Cycles
No.22
Holland Cycles
amongst many others.

Me personally I wouldn't' do lugged stuff unless it is metal on metal lugs. If you are really looking to add carbon to the ride find someone who does ExoGrid like Holland Cycles. A pure Ti-alloy frame is going to last longer than a lugged carbon frame.
Right now, my top choice is the Seven 622XX followed by Firefly. Though what I really want for paint I am not sure they will do. I want completely raw, no brushed, not media blast, leave the visual HAZ from welds, leave scratches from fabrication, totally raw.
Old 06-06-20, 12:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Ti lugged carbon can't be doing to bad longevity wise. Seven has been doing it since 1997.

And I don't like the idea of the exogrid style for a couple reasons. If it is glued in the full length, it won't let the carbon do its job. If it isn't glued the full length, it is an open spot for grit to get into. Unless they use a flexible adhesive, which I don't see doing in this application.
I know people are still doing it but still the actual frame is unlikely to last as long as just a pure Ti-alloy frame.

I personally just like the look of the Exogrid I don't know how well it would work.
Old 06-06-20, 12:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Right now, my top choice is the Seven 622XX followed by Firefly. Though what I really want for paint I am not sure they will do. I want completely raw, no brushed, not media blast, leave the visual HAZ from welds, leave scratches from fabrication, totally raw.
I am sure they would do it if you wanted that. I can't imagine them saying no to your request. Would love to see the bike when finished. Firefly is awesome. Kevin and the crew are super nice and one day a custom FF will be mine.
Old 06-06-20, 12:30 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
"Rivendell raised" is having your bars level with or higher than your saddle. Everything racing is, Grant Peterson and Rivendell Bikes is the opposite. Have fun with your new bike when you get it, and show us pics!

EDIT: I've been told that I was passing off a term that I made up as being in common usage. It isn't. I made it up, on the spot. I think it's pretty good!

Last edited by Korina; 06-06-20 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 12:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
"Rivendell raised" is having your bars level with or higher than your saddle. Everything racing is, Grant Peterson and Rivendell Bikes is the opposite. Have fun with your new bike when you get it, and show us pics!
Making up a phrase for this thread and then implying that it's in common usage?

Calvin Trillin of the New Yorker once wrote that, when a friend disputed his claim of the origin of a quote, Calvin replied, "But I saw it on paper!" The friend asked, "Was the paper in a typewriter at the time?"
Old 06-06-20, 04:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,529 Times in 7,326 Posts
Umm, sorry I narrowed my search critera??
Actually, you pretty much changed it. And obviously never bothered with the link I posted, as evidenced by your response to it.

The iggy list grows once again.
Old 06-06-20, 04:49 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Do a blind test of a top steel bike versus a Ti bike and I bet you pick the steel bike.
Old 06-06-20, 05:13 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Actually, you pretty much changed it. And obviously never bothered with the link I posted, as evidenced by your response to it.

The iggy list grows once again.
I actually went through that entire list weeding out all companies either based outside the US, then got rid of all companies that had production outside the US. Then I narrowed my bike frame from titanium to titanium lugged carbon.

I can screen shot my browser history of you want. It is pretty much solid bike companies sites for about 4 hours last night.

But to ahead and believe what you want.
Old 06-06-20, 05:15 PM
Melvang

Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Do a blind test of a top steel bike versus a Ti bike and I bet you pick the steel bike.
Even if picked steel blind, I wouldn't buy one. I live in the rust belt. I will not buy a steel bike. I have seen what happens to aluminum, steel, titanium, and carbon fiber in high salt environments. I used to work in Sea Hawk helicopters in the Navy. Carbon and titanium were not affected at all. Aluminum would corrode of the surface corrosion coating (don't remember the name of the stuff, but it wasn't annodizing, came in a can and turned the aluminum a slightly greenish yellow), steel and aluminum get ugly together without proper anti-seize (look at Ford 5.4I spark plug issues).

I have reasons I decisions.

Are you a used car salesperson?

Last edited by Melvang; 06-06-20 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 05:26 PM
Mulberry20

Even if picked steel blind, I wouldn't buy one. I live in the rust belt. I will not buy a steel bike. I have seen what happens to aluminum, steel, titanium, and carbon fiber in high salt environments. I used to work in Sea Hawk helicopters in the Navy. Carbon and titanium were not affected at all. Aluminum would corrode of the surface corrosion coating (don't remember the name of the stuff, but it wasn't annodizing, came in a can and turned the aluminum a slightly greenish yellow), steel and aluminum get ugly together without proper anti-seize (look at Ford 5.4I spark plug issues).

I have reasons I decisions.

Are you a used car salesperson?
It is good you are asking for advice because you honestly don’t know what you are talking about. It is sorta of humorous actually.
Old 06-06-20, 05:34 PM
Mulberry20

It is good you are asking for advice because you honestly don’t know what you are talking about. It is sorta of humorous actually.

You have heard of stainless steel and niobium alloys correct?
Old 06-06-20, 06:05 PM
Melvang

You have heard of stainless steel and niobium alloys correct?
Yes I have, and I still don't want them.

​I don't know what I am talking about? I used to work as an aviation structural mechanic in the Navy working on SH-60F and HH-60H Sea Hawk helicopters. Working on them in the Bahamas, Florida, Nevada, middle of the ocean (summer and winter), and desert in Iraq and Kuwait.

After that, I went to work as a millwright and dust apprenticeship through Local Union 2158. Finished top of my class. Think industrial construction specializing in equipment installation, modification, repair, fabrication, removal, and demo. Did that for 12 years ish. Currently work industrial maintenance in one of the largest cast iron foundries in the USA.

I know a thing or two about corrosion because I have seen a thing or two corrode. I have seen 316LVM corrode away to practically nothing.

The only time I have seen titanium corrode was improper welding procedures. Though that really isn't corrosion, but more a reaction between the titanium and oxygen at high temps.

Tell me, do they paint internal threads, the inside of all tubing? I don't think so.

I am not buying a steel bike because I don't want a steel bike. I plan on having this bike at least 20 years. My 7005 T6 frame Kona is going on 17 years.

Besides, what difference is it to you on how I spend my money?
Old 06-06-20, 11:39 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Not sure if a Ti-lug carbon frame would work better than all-carbon. In my crashes with steel bikes it's been the fork or frame tubes that bent.
Old 06-07-20, 12:28 AM
Melvang

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Not sure if a Ti-lug carbon frame would work better than all-carbon. In my crashes with steel bikes it's been the fork or frame tubes that bent.
Which is fine for ti-lugged carbon frame. Individual tubes (probably in a pair to open up the triangle in question) can be replaced without killing the entire frame. And you don't have a repair over a crack, but an outright replacement.