Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Adjusting stem/handle bars

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 06-11-20, 06:38 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Hi i have a small bike that i cant find online as its old . The stem and handle bars are welded together. Just how its made. I can adjust the height of the stem and there is a groove so you cant wiggle it really from left to right. My question is can i take it out?The stem folds near the base of it but the handle bars are just a bit too long. I know i could probably have them trimmed but no this is a very small 14" wheeled bike. Not really what i want. I tried to get the handle bars out but just cant seem to. There is a quick release that is used to adjust the height but there something stopping it coming out. I just cant figure out what. Is this normal. This is a very simple bike that was originally a ebike and i took the ebike stuff off. Just wanna make it as light and foldable to travel with when that starts to be a thing again. In one way i want to put another kit on there to electrify it again but 14" kits seems to not be a thing. Anyway thats for another part of the forum
Old 06-11-20, 08:16 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I think you need pictures if you want good help. On some of my Dahons for example there is no adjustment. Roger
Old 06-11-20, 08:44 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by rhenning
I think you need pictures if you want good help. On some of my Dahons for example there is no adjustment. Roger

this is where i wud pull the stem out if i could

sorry the pics are terrible as its night here and i didnt want to disturb my neighbours unlocking the bike

this is where the quick release is on the stem

this is the bike folded
Old 06-11-20, 02:22 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You lower/raise the stem on the top quick release as you indicated. Not knowing your bike the maker made have made it so you can't pull it out by mistake and crash. I would call them and ask if it is supposed to come out. Roger
Old 06-13-20, 10:44 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by rhenning
You lower/raise the stem on the top quick release as you indicated. Not knowing your bike the maker made have made it so you can't pull it out by mistake and crash. I would call them and ask if it is supposed to come out. Roger
Yeah it has a quick release so cant be pulled out by mistake. This is an old bike that i did not buy from a shop
Old 06-14-20, 10:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there are clamp on pieces to add another handlebar and have it adjustable,,

in the case of Brompton & Dahons the bar is clamped in the bar mast It's 1" @ that center point
these 2 pieces clamp on a 1" stub where the bar was, and a 2nd set of clamps in these 2 pieces grab a new bar

You will find a couple designs here: Handlebars, Extenders and Bar Ends

Might take some sawing and reinforcing the remaining T part , if its a suitable diameter..

do you own a proper caliper to measure things?

Old 06-16-20, 11:14 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by fietsbob
there are clamp on pieces to add another handlebar and have it adjustable,,

in the case of Brompton & Dahons the bar is clamped in the bar mast It's 1" @ that center point
these 2 pieces clamp on a 1" stub where the bar was, and a 2nd set of clamps in these 2 pieces grab a new bar

You will find a couple designs here: Handlebars, Extenders and Bar Ends

Might take some sawing and reinforcing the remaining T part , if its a suitable diameter..

do you own a proper caliper to measure things?

ok ok maybe. Was hoping not to buy anything and just work with what i have.
oh not sure what you mean about what the Brompton and Dahons have or do.
oh as i reply i am not linked to anything ....so um not sure. clicking on the blue writing does nothing.
I dont think i have calipers but not really into replacing anything if i can. I have very little money
Old 06-16-20, 12:13 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
On older folding bikes the stem assembly usually is held in with an expanding wedge like most older bikes were. You may have to take it out and do some disassembly to get it out. If you only want to trim the handlebar, why not do it in place.
Old 06-17-20, 09:47 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
On older folding bikes the stem assembly usually is held in with an expanding wedge like most older bikes were. You may have to take it out and do some disassembly to get it out. If you only want to trim the handlebar, why not do it in place.
Oh dont know what that is. ok will have to have a closer look and see if i can figure out more. The weather has been so awful that spending time on the porch doing anything is hard. This is where the bike is stored. I dont want to trim the handbars