Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike for 9 year old girl?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road bike for 9 year old girl?

Old 06-14-20, 07:52 AM
  #1  
KatieC
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Road bike for 9 year old girl?

Hi, I have been an avid cyclist my whole life. My 9 year old daughter has been riding a 20" Specialized Hotrock for a few years and we enjoy mountain biking together. However, she is close to outgrowing it and told me recently that she would really like to have a road bike. I have been looking on major brand manufacturer's websites and can't find much in the way of youth or children's road bikes.

Can anyone make any recommendations?
KatieC is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 08:10 AM
  #2  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,689

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 123 Posts
The only suggestion I have would be along the line of finding the smallest model of drop bar road bike available from some manufacturer and then adding specific parts to assist fit as she grows into it.

In my own case, my son wanted to join on rides during a time that his growth cycle would have resulted in three different bikes in as many years. We made some changes to a rigid mountain bike with a drop top (mixte-like) bar that was too big for him, and he grew into it up to the point that growth slowed down enough to buy a decent starter road bike. Smooth tires, clips, and a slightly more aggressive rear cluster did the trick for a couple of years.
Juan Foote is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 08:51 AM
  #3  
powermatt99
Senior Member
 
powermatt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 116

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I'm assuming this means a proper road bike with drop bars. Frog bikes makes child-specific road bikes with 24- and 26-inch wheels. I thought Specialized had an Allez Jr. but I can't find it on their site, maybe it was replaced by the 44cm size. Unfortunately, there are no economical solutions unless you get creative and do a partial build yourself.
powermatt99 is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 09:11 AM
  #4  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,903

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 327 Posts
https://rascalrides.com/best-24-road-bikes-kids/


I thought fuji used to make them as well. But I couldn’t find anything when I searched.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 09:24 AM
  #5  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,897

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 935 Posts
Because she is growing she will likely outgrow any bike you get her in 2-3 years.

This is one situation where it may make sense to buy used, local Craigslist is Plan A and ScamBay is Plan B.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 06-14-20, 09:40 AM
  #6  
UsedToBeFaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Diamondback Podium 24

Diamondback used to make the podium for juniors called podium 24. Note this is different than the podium junior. It was by far the best value bike for kids costing $250 new

It came with 24 inch wheels ( so the geometry was not askew) Claris drivetrain even a compact compact double!

Check Amazon or Craigslist for this bike. The one that came in red, the 2015/2016 model, was a step up than the later models. Later models came in white, and we'll put it Lee do it but just not as good as the ones in red.
UsedToBeFaster is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 01:07 PM
  #7  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,320

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 396 Posts
Take your daughter to the shops and let her pick what appeals to her and somewhat fits her whether child or small adult size. Nothing would turn me off more when I was a kid than having someone else pick for me or overly steer me to choose. I needed to make my own mistakes and learn from them.

If she is going to be going through a significant growth spurt, then I'd buy something you can comfortably afford to replace at that time.

For me a road bike is a road bike not matter how the manufacturers advertise them..... race, endurance, fitness, etc. They all need to be "tried on" by the rider to see if they are the road bike for them

Last edited by Iride01; 06-14-20 at 01:10 PM.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 01:15 PM
  #8  
UsedToBeFaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
The DB Podium 24 also fits larger tires

Forgot to add that the DB I mentioned has V-brakes. It comes with 25mm tires which are great for pavement but they can easily fit 32 and even 40mm tires for doing some gravel riding. Importantly it fits an ISO 520 tire so there are tire options.



Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster View Post
Diamondback used to make the podium for juniors called podium 24. Note this is different than the podium junior. It was by far the best value bike for kids costing $250 new

It came with 24 inch wheels ( so the geometry was not askew) Claris drivetrain even a compact compact double!

Check Amazon or Craigslist for this bike. The one that came in red, the 2015/2016 model, was a step up than the later models. Later models came in white, and we'll put it Lee do it but just not as good as the ones in red.
UsedToBeFaster is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 01:25 PM
  #9  
RiceAWay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by powermatt99 View Post
I'm assuming this means a proper road bike with drop bars. Frog bikes makes child-specific road bikes with 24- and 26-inch wheels. I thought Specialized had an Allez Jr. but I can't find it on their site, maybe it was replaced by the 44cm size. Unfortunately, there are no economical solutions unless you get creative and do a partial build yourself.
I too am rather surprised that Trek and Specialized do not make children specific road bikes. If you don't start them out young where are you going to get future riders? Are you going to expect teenagers who want a car to start riding bikes?
RiceAWay is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 01:38 PM
  #10  
MSchott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 368

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster View Post
Diamondback used to make the podium for juniors called podium 24. Note this is different than the podium junior. It was by far the best value bike for kids costing $250 new

It came with 24 inch wheels ( so the geometry was not askew) Claris drivetrain even a compact compact double!

Check Amazon or Craigslist for this bike. The one that came in red, the 2015/2016 model, was a step up than the later models. Later models came in white, and we'll put it Lee do it but just not as good as the ones in red.
Are you sure 24” wheels are appropriate for a 9 year old? My 9 year old son rides a bike I bought him off of Craigslist and it fits him well with 20” wheels.
MSchott is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 04:39 PM
  #11  
powermatt99
Senior Member
 
powermatt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 116

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Are you sure 24” wheels are appropriate for a 9 year old? My 9 year old son rides a bike I bought him off of Craigslist and it fits him well with 20” wheels.
24” wheels allow for a geometry that WILL for a 9 year old. Wheel size ≠ bike size.
powermatt99 is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 05:37 PM
  #12  
Jack Tone 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Here's one from Bikes Direct:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ikes.htm#gsize
Jack Tone is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 05:55 PM
  #13  
SSRI
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
https://www.target.com/p/giordano-ki...k/-/A-14566432

I picked this up from amazon under 350.00 in 2016

I did blow another 150 - 200 bucks or so to make the bike shift and brake better.

the stock parts work but I just had to upgrade.

she has since out grown this bike


Deda 38cm bar and 80mm stem
TRP front brakes for front and rear
Kool Stop pads
160mm crank arms
Tiagra front and rear derrailluers
CLaris shifters
Fizik bar tape
25mm 24inch tires
presta tubes with presta adaptors for the rims
Pink Housing
Pinkish kids saddle
Lower profile platform pedals
elite bottle cage
(I am not including the cateye stealth 50)

Last edited by SSRI; 06-14-20 at 06:19 PM.
SSRI is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 06:15 PM
  #14  
cyclebycle13
Super WW
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY (state)
Posts: 650

Bikes: A really light one and a really heavy one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Get this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piedrahita-...53.m1438.l2649

I've seen some 24" and 26" youth bikes on ebay recently. The frog bikes that were already mentioned are excellent and these bikes tend to be easy to resell when kids outgrow them.
cyclebycle13 is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 06:49 PM
  #15  
UsedToBeFaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Yep

What ever you do, don't buy one of those 43cm (or smaller) bikes with 700cc wheels. The geometry on those is tough to get right, and most frames end up putting the rider way behind the pedals so they are riding it almost like a recumbent.


Originally Posted by powermatt99 View Post
24” wheels allow for a geometry that WILL for a 9 year old. Wheel size ≠ bike size.

Last edited by UsedToBeFaster; 06-14-20 at 07:15 PM.
UsedToBeFaster is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 07:11 PM
  #16  
MSchott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 368

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by powermatt99 View Post
24” wheels allow for a geometry that WILL for a 9 year old. Wheel size ≠ bike size.
The problem is not the wheel size but the frame size. If the child can't comfortably straddle the top tube, the bike the too large. Maybe that's what you are saying in some coded way. Another point is I'm not spending $400.00 on a bike he'll outgrow in a year. That's why CL or other used sources are best at this age unless money is not an issue.
MSchott is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 07:49 PM
  #17  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,756

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 105 Posts
My 9 y/o (4ft 4in or so) just got a 24" road bike, we picked up a felt f24 from a club mate for $250, not a bad deal, it's a 2004 model, so bicyclebluebook would say I overpaid, but fact is kid road bikes are hard to come by and there have been none on the local market (I'm in Boston so you tend to be able to find just about anything). I quickly perused the thread and saw mention of frog bikes, giant produces a 24" CX model (which of course works well on road with different tires), you might be able to pick up a redline conquest CX bike (a local shop in my area still has it in stock, but they've been discontinued).
It is too bad there are more companies making bikes for kids, but if people aren't buying them then they won't produce them, especially if they're seen just as "race bikes" and neither parents nor kids are interested in doing competitive cycling, but that's a whole can of worms.
Best of luck with the search!
hubcyclist is offline  
Old 06-14-20, 11:23 PM
  #18  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,741

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Are you sure 24” wheels are appropriate for a 9 year old? My 9 year old son rides a bike I bought him off of Craigslist and it fits him well with 20” wheels.
My youngest is 9.5yo and has been on a 24" mtb for over a year.
She is probably 4'3...not on the taller side of things.
I think the frame is 12".

Geometey is important, but yeah a 9yo for sure can comfortably fit and manage a 24" wheel bike.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 06-14-20, 11:48 PM
  #19  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,741

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 785 Posts
https://us.woombikes.com/products/5
https://www.frogbikes.com/Road-Bike-...frame_color=19
https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-mead...dium=Affiliate
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/...ute_pa_size=24
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/...ute_pa_size=24

Or craigslist/eBay for something like the scott speedster and other discontinued 24" road bikes. Local example to me is below.
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bik...139508851.html


I don't think there is much(any?) benefit to a 9yo on drop bars from a practical perspective. If they want to rock drop bars because its what you ride and drops keep em engaged in the sport, i guess I can see that as a good reason?
drops are basically useless unless they are averaging over 13mph. Up to around that point, they just aren't being hindered by wind resistance, and it takes a good bit of power and correct gearing to keep a 24" wheel moving at 13mph.

Some of the links above are flat bar hybrid style bikes.
I think that more important than the style of bars is if the geometey is good and if the bike is light.
I would rather snag an 18# flat bar hybrid for my 9yo than a 27# fuji ace drop bar with low end paddle shifting and nutted wheel axles.
Quality components are way more important to me than the shape of the bar. No nutted axles. No riveted chainrings. No freewheel. No low end paddle shifters. No 3x drivetrain.

As for the comments about kids outgrowing bikes so the cost isn't worth it...
- I have 2 kids and bikes move from one to the next.
- quality bikes hold value and there is demand for them. The 'loss' you take is basically for using the bike for however long.
- many people spend plenty of money on activities and hobbies that others view as wasteful. This is no different.
- buy a kids road bike for $600 and sell it after 4 years of use between 2 kids for $300. Basically it cost $150 per kid for 2 years of use. Plenty of cheap big box bikes will cost that and get that length of use.
- travel baseball, aau basketball, select soccer leagues, equestrian jumping, gymnastics, etc etc etc- all this costs way more than $150 in equipment/fees for 2 seasons.


perspective is helpful. Good luck on the search.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 06-15-20, 08:11 AM
  #20  
mackgoo
Senior Member
 
mackgoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 439

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 96 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 91 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
Hi, I have been an avid cyclist my whole life. My 9 year old daughter has been riding a 20" Specialized Hotrock for a few years and we enjoy mountain biking together. However, she is close to outgrowing it and told me recently that she would really like to have a road bike. I have been looking on major brand manufacturer's websites and can't find much in the way of youth or children's road bikes.

Can anyone make any recommendations?
Bianchi Darma?
mackgoo is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 06:44 PM
  #21  
MSchott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 368

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
https://us.woombikes.com/products/5
https://www.frogbikes.com/Road-Bike-...frame_color=19
https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-mead...dium=Affiliate
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/...ute_pa_size=24
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/product/...ute_pa_size=24

Or craigslist/eBay for something like the scott speedster and other discontinued 24" road bikes. Local example to me is below.
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bik...139508851.html


I don't think there is much(any?) benefit to a 9yo on drop bars from a practical perspective. If they want to rock drop bars because its what you ride and drops keep em engaged in the sport, i guess I can see that as a good reason?
drops are basically useless unless they are averaging over 13mph. Up to around that point, they just aren't being hindered by wind resistance, and it takes a good bit of power and correct gearing to keep a 24" wheel moving at 13mph.

Some of the links above are flat bar hybrid style bikes.
I think that more important than the style of bars is if the geometey is good and if the bike is light.
I would rather snag an 18# flat bar hybrid for my 9yo than a 27# fuji ace drop bar with low end paddle shifting and nutted wheel axles.
Quality components are way more important to me than the shape of the bar. No nutted axles. No riveted chainrings. No freewheel. No low end paddle shifters. No 3x drivetrain.

As for the comments about kids outgrowing bikes so the cost isn't worth it...
- I have 2 kids and bikes move from one to the next.
- quality bikes hold value and there is demand for them. The 'loss' you take is basically for using the bike for however long.
- many people spend plenty of money on activities and hobbies that others view as wasteful. This is no different.
- buy a kids road bike for $600 and sell it after 4 years of use between 2 kids for $300. Basically it cost $150 per kid for 2 years of use. Plenty of cheap big box bikes will cost that and get that length of use.
- travel baseball, aau basketball, select soccer leagues, equestrian jumping, gymnastics, etc etc etc- all this costs way more than $150 in equipment/fees for 2 seasons.


perspective is helpful. Good luck on the search.
Works fine if you have 2 kids. I have one.
MSchott is offline  
Old 06-15-20, 09:30 PM
  #22  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 10,741

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Works fine if you have 2 kids. I have one.
Then it gets sold for more because it has less wear and tear.
...or it gets sold for the same as I mention and it as good of a deal.
Someone with 3 kids would find it an even better deal than how I laid it out.


This is one of those ymmv situations.
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 06-17-20, 12:47 AM
  #23  
ErikDaGenErik
Junior Member
 
ErikDaGenErik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 22

Bikes: Specialized Venge S-Works, Giant Contend AR 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
Hi, I have been an avid cyclist my whole life. My 9 year old daughter has been riding a 20" Specialized Hotrock for a few years and we enjoy mountain biking together. However, she is close to outgrowing it and told me recently that she would really like to have a road bike. I have been looking on major brand manufacturer's websites and can't find much in the way of youth or children's road bikes.

Can anyone make any recommendations?
i just ordered a Specialized Allez Jr for my 10 year old daughter. I found a few on Bike Exchange, with the shop being on the east coast. There were 3 listed on the site last week when I ordered.

It sounds like a junior road bike is what would be best for your child. Unfortunately there aren’t a lot of options out there. There are several older models by brands like Felt, KHS, but finding 2019/2020 models are hard to come by. There are brands like Pinarello and Merida that make 42cm road bikes (Merida has 38cm), but you have to consider your child’s hands and whether or not the fingers can safely reach the brake levers.

good luck.
ErikDaGenErik is offline  
Old 06-17-20, 05:44 AM
  #24  
primov8
V8s all day
 
primov8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NY.NY.
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Last summer, I bought my daughter who was 10 yrs. old at the time, a used Scott Speedster Jr24. The bike itself was in excellent condition with the typical Sora drivetrain. But one of the best upgrades I did on my daughter's Scott Speedster Jr24 was removing the Sora shifters and replacing them with the Claris R2K shifters. The levers on the Claris shifters can be adjusted for reach and that made a world of a difference on my daughter's hands. She felt so much more comfortable and immediately noticed how much easier it was to shift and brake. Now, she's asking to go clipless so that is next on the list.
primov8 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.