Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for a bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 10:42 PM
Ductunder2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all!
I am new here and also new to cycling. Me and the wife want to get into bike riding. We are interested in using it for exercise as well as trail riding(camping), off road, and around town occasionally. We were told to not get a bike from local department store such as Walmart.
We have looked online at some reputable bike shops and noticed they are very expensive.
So I was hoping to get advice on what to get.
How to get a good fit bike, what type of bike to get, and recommended 2nd hand places to buy.
Some quick info about me. I am 5'10 185lbs, she is 5'6 and 160lbs.
If more info is needed I am happy to supply.

Thanks all.
Old 06-18-20, 12:46 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Surly all road touring
Old 06-18-20, 02:18 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Craigslist. Perhaps a hybrid, which is an all arounder, for your first bike.
Old 06-18-20, 02:34 AM
rmnrapido

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
get an electric bike, its fun....
Old 06-18-20, 05:57 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You need to go to a bike shop. Don't buy second hand, you don't have the experience or knowledge at this point. Unfortunately like most of the world bikes are becoming hot commodities so when you see something buy it. Someone suggested a hybrid and I agree with that. The go to brands are Trek, Specialized, Giant and Cannondale but also look at the lesser known brands, like Fuji, Norco, Kona etc.

I know you think they are expensive but look at them as long term investments. When I worked at a bike shop I sold my brother and his soon to be wife bikes and they still own them today. Those bikes are over 30 years old and they still ride them. They have no intention of buying something new. They certainly got their money's worth. As a side note they also took good care of them.

Good luck and happy bike hunting.
Old 06-18-20, 06:09 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
As soon as someone says bikes are expensive I think they deserve a Walmart bike

Old 06-18-20, 07:23 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You are trying to buy bikes at a time many other people have the same idea. That's why your local bike shop is likely out of stock for most bikes that are in the lower price entry level range. They simply can't keep them in stock. That's life.
Old 06-18-20, 07:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pac Rim issues..containers full of bikes are delayed shipping, due to CV 19 so shops are not well stocked now..

My local is taking deposits on the July anticipated shipments..
Old 06-18-20, 07:56 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Ductunder2020
Hello all!
I am new here and also new to cycling. Me and the wife want to get into bike riding. We are interested in using it for exercise as well as trail riding(camping), off road, and around town occasionally. We were told to not get a bike from local department store such as Walmart.
We have looked online at some reputable bike shops and noticed they are very expensive.
How to get a good fit bike, what type of bike to get, and recommended 2nd hand places to buy.
- Walmart does a poor job assembling heavy, cheap bikes that are not very durable.
- Yes, $400 at a bike is a stretch if you are comparing it to Walmart. But you get a well built bike that will be more durable and weigh 10lbs less (at least). Yes, your local bike shop is sold out because the gyms are closed, lots of parks close, movie theaters closed, etc.
- Second hand: Facebook Marketplace, or search for local user groups that focus on bikes; Craigs List
-- Craigs List - buyer be ware. There's a someone local to me in Detroit, also on these boards, who is selling really nice old bikes that he's put time and money into. So it's possible to get a really nice older bike from CL. You can also spend $40 on crap.
- "Trails" - paved multi use paths (MUPs)? Or dirt single track with roots and rocks? Those are very different bikes for enjoyable riding. If your tolerance for having things suck is high, you can use any bike for either. That's what I do.

- Size: measure your inseam and read up on "stand over height"...... don't make me google that for you.... doh! too late... Let Me Google That
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...height%20chart
roughly: 5' 10" : maybe like a 54cm seat tube. you also have to look at top tube and reach (medium size)
5'6' (female); maybe 48 ~ 50cm seat tube. (small size)

Sounds like since you're just getting started, maybe just a couple of decently maintained Schwinn 10 speeds from CL. They are kind of heavy. They are robust. Easy to maintain. Cheap. A nice entry drug to cycling, my opinion.
- Like this: https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...141867504.html
- The seller should have the handle bars level, the seat level, matching tires, at least one picture where you can see the cranks and the whole bike.

OK. That's it. I should get back to work now......
ciao
Likes For mrv:
Old 06-18-20, 09:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Do you have a friend who is a cyclist? If so, that would be an invaluable asset is selecting a used, good quality mountain bike. If not consider a Nishiki from Dick's; these would normally be low quality bikes, but are assembled (including having the wheels built) by the Detroit Bicycle Co in the US AFAIK) Some may denigrate the China-made frames, but I've had good success with those from Bikes Direct which would be another good source, but seem to be depleted of many styles.
Old 06-18-20, 12:17 PM
Ductunder2020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am fine with spending $600 on a bike. I was referring to th $1000+ bikes.
in any case I am allowed to decide how much a bike is worth to me. I came here to get help from knowledgeable people. I am a reasonable person that can take advice and change my opinion.
With that I will be sure to check out all of your recommendations.
thank you all for your help.
Likes For Ductunder2020:
Old 06-18-20, 12:40 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I know you think they are expensive but look at them as long term investments. When I worked at a bike shop I sold my brother and his soon to be wife bikes and they still own them today. Those bikes are over 30 years old and they still ride them. They have no intention of buying something new. They certainly got their money's worth. As a side note they also took good care of them.
I was just thinking of this while on a ride yesterday. I was riding my old road bike from the mid 80s and realizing that it’s barely old enough to mention as a vintage bike, while if it were a car, I could license it here as an “antique” if it were ten years younger.

Bikes can last a long time!

Otto
Old 06-18-20, 11:42 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
As one newbie to another: it will take some trial and error before you figure out what your preferences are. You should buy a succession of used Craigslist bikes, learn your likes and dislikes and what is important to you. Then you can buy that shiny expensive bike.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 06-18-20, 11:48 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Hello all!
If more info is needed I am happy to supply.

Thanks all.
wait a few months you will see a ton of barely used bikes for sale.
Likes For jay4usc:
Old 06-19-20, 08:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
.. Me and the wife want to get into bike riding. We are interested in using it for exercise as well as trail riding(camping), off road, and around town occasionally...
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ke-tourist.htm

Perfect for what you describe, these bikes are versatile and can support longer trips, and carry gear.

Because you'd be camping, you'll also need to be able to make minor repairs while out on the road. What better way to begin to learn about your bike than to complete the fairly simple steps to accomplish final assembly of your "in the box" bikes after they arrive at your door. Highly recommend.
Old 06-26-20, 06:10 PM
Ductunder2020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just wanted to report back.

I went to 3 local bike shops and even REI. They were just out of everything. They said they can't keep up with the demand.
I was recommended to fit a men's medium bike and she was a women's medium or men's small.
We asked where we should look online and was given different suggestions but the most affordable place we were suggested was bikesdirect.
So with that we were looking at this Gravity FSX 1.0 Full Suspension Mountain Bikes from Bike's Direct. I think I would need to pre-order it but I havent gotten that far with it yet.

Any insight on this bike? Or should we just not go riding this year and wait until there is snow on the ground.(We live in Alaska at the moment.)

I will say while doing some research I came across the YT bikes. They are very nice looking and I wish I could afford them.
Old 06-26-20, 06:23 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
I just wanted to report back.

I went to 3 local bike shops and even REI. They were just out of everything. They said they can't keep up with the demand.
I was recommended to fit a men's medium bike and she was a women's medium or men's small.
We asked where we should look online and was given different suggestions but the most affordable place we were suggested was bikesdirect.
So with that we were looking at this Gravity FSX 1.0 Full Suspension Mountain Bikes from Bike's Direct. I think I would need to pre-order it but I havent gotten that far with it yet.

Any insight on this bike? Or should we just not go riding this year and wait until there is snow on the ground.(We live in Alaska at the moment.)

I will say while doing some research I came across the YT bikes. They are very nice looking and I wish I could afford them.
living in Alaska will definitely limit your options and will be forced to buy online. Sounds like bikesdirect will be your best option. I myself have been searching for a while and finally decided to go with a Wabi. I was considering a few bikes on bikesdirect but decided to spend a few more dollars and buy a quality bike. Hopefully will be my last
Old 06-27-20, 02:58 AM
saukander

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help needed to buy a bike

Hello! here is another newb with same problem.

I am going to buy Kona Hahanna Race light Mountain Bike 26".

Bike is in pretty goof shape, brakes, tires, paint etc. but I or the seller man dont know when this bike was built.

So thats way I registered here so maybe you can give a hint what is good price for it and how old it is.
So here you go! plz help. I cant

btw.. I really dont get it how to upload pics here but if you use google picture rearch: Kona Hahanna Race light Mountain Bike 26 it will be the red bike leaning against white wall.
Old 06-27-20, 12:58 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
One of the big mistakes buyers of entry level bikes make is buying one with suspension. The Gravity FSX 1.0 Full Suspension Mountain Bike sells for $369. That puts it firmly in the middle of the price for entry level bikes and the components verify that. Do you really expect suspensions on a $369 bike to be worth anything? You can read numerous posts on Bike Forums warning newbies to avoid entry level bikes with cheap suspensions. It is a gimmick designed to get the unsuspecting buyer to think they are getting a premium product. What it does mostly is add weight to the bike and subtract from the manufacturer being able to spend a little more on better components elsewhere on the bike. I own two older mountain bikes. One has front suspension but that particular component alone would probably cost as much to replace as your whole bike. The other bike has no suspension but weights 23 pounds. They work just fine as is.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-03-20, 03:28 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by saukander
Hello! here is another newb with same problem.

I am going to buy Kona Hahanna Race light Mountain Bike 26".

Bike is in pretty goof shape, brakes, tires, paint etc. but I or the seller man dont know when this bike was built.

So thats way I registered here so maybe you can give a hint what is good price for it and how old it is.
So here you go! plz help. I cant

btw.. I really dont get it how to upload pics here but if you use google picture rearch: Kona Hahanna Race light Mountain Bike 26 it will be the red bike leaning against white wall.
did you get the KONA? looks like you did not hit 10 posts yet. then you can up load pics.
1998 Kona Mountain Bike Info Center - the image below says it's a '96. Classic Kona's catalog does not go back that far. But maybe you're looking at a mid-90s $400 MTB new.

Should you get it at what price? FIRST: Is it the right size? Figure that out first.

My thoughts: I like fully rigid MTBs. I'm OK with 26in wheels. Last year I picked up an early '90s BIANCHI that only (barely) fits 26 x 2in tires. $55. Then I spent about $250 on tires & cables & grips & pedals (used) & seat (used). (no comment on the spray paint....) The size is fine for me, like a 50cm seat tube and 58cm top tube. It's just impossible to go as fast as the fatter tire and suspended modern bikes. To go as fast as people on those bikes, you will have to be a better / fitter rider. That's the advantage of the old MTBs. To get faster, you actually have to develop more / better skills. I'd very much like to get a VELO ORANGE Piolet - but that's a new bike that'll take 27.5 x 3in tires, has disk brakes and cost $2k. Not gonna happen for a while..... But the Bianchi, I'm riding it now. Having a blast.

So if you're getting a pretty good MTB (like anything from KONA) that doesn't need any work, $200. $300 probably OK. If it needs new bits & parts, try to keep all your spending under $300 or so. I think. It's just an internet-opinion from someone who can't get a $2k bike he really wants.

Old 07-05-20, 02:06 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
most bike shops are just dealers or distributors of name brands , like trek or cannondale , and will sell you up the creek with no paddle , you basically answered your own question , you just look for the bike that suits your needs , based on your opinion of your own skill and drive to use the machine more ot less than what you think its capable of , look for a set of features that would benefit your objective , bike fit is easy , make sure you have a comfortable peddle spin , and your knees and hips stay in line , you have a good range of motion in your reach area , after that you pick the bike , easy peasy !
Old 07-05-20, 08:49 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You can often find gems on Craigslist but know what you want before you go in. Do the research at local bike shops, talk to folks on here, talk to friends, etc. Check the bicycle blue book for values and don't be afraid to bargain.
Old 07-06-20, 10:24 PM
stoheaven21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the same shoes you are, best of luck!