Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Alcohol and You

Old 06-02-20, 04:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
It's is going with some $1 tacos in about 20 minutes ..
Old 06-02-20, 04:51 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
It's not safe to cycle and drink. I am surprised by people displaying this behavior. I have seen it advertised in cycling mags, stop at some upscale bar and drink a beer or two. And then get back on the bike?

If you have to think about it it's a good times to say goodbye to it.
Old 06-03-20, 02:22 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
It's not safe to cycle and drink. I am surprised by people displaying this behavior. I have seen it advertised in cycling mags, stop at some upscale bar and drink a beer or two. And then get back on the bike?

I'd never drink and drive or ride, recipe for disaster I reckon.
Old 06-03-20, 06:00 AM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I also never drink and ride my road bikes or motorcycles, it's dangerous enough riding straight sober!
Likes For Climb14er:
Old 06-03-20, 07:21 AM
StarBiker

Folks can drink sociably, and responsibly that's important.

I have not drank a drop in 14 years. It led me into this hobby, and the flipping market in general, and now I have money instead of drinking it.

To each his own. Best to all.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 06-03-20, 03:05 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
It's been 14 years since I had a drink, life has been much kinder to me since that decision
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 06-04-20, 02:44 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
I've become a "sip or two" type, myself. Never was much "into" alcoholic beverages, ever, but I get the taste for a few minutes, then I move on. Though, other than shots at the local bar, or aperatifs at the local highbrow restaurant, it's hard to find such small amounts available. And so, I open the rare bottle, now and then, and know I won't get through more than a small percentage of it before it goes bad on me. I'm okay with that, waste though it is.

Lots of good flavors out there. I've just resigned myself to appreciating a good sip or two, knowing I avoid all the bad aspects but get to savor the good. Works for me.
One exception I've made is with fairly decent vintage port wines. Barely an inch in a good snifter, a couple hours of sipping, and I'm feeling just fine. Don't need more than that. And, with a good one, it's amazing how wonderful the depth of flavors can be, and how little of the wine is needed to experience all of it.

Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-18-20, 04:49 AM
CyFan4036
Wanderer

Bikes: Cannondale R1000

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I currently drink four fingers of Jameson nearly every night. I find that it mutes my back pain which allows me to sleep like a baby. I've never had a hangover in my life regardless of how much I indulge.
Old 06-18-20, 10:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb14er
I also never drink and ride my road bikes or motorcycles, it's dangerous enough riding straight sober!
Being a big city person, I have gone out to dinner a gozillion times by bike. Aside from when I do that, I don't drink and ride. It's hard for me to understand how people do it. Having a drink during the middle of something like a road ride or while touring would totally demotivate me, especially if it were hot out. I was on an organized tour in the Finger Lakes region. One day was really hot and humid. Stopped at a bar/distillery/restaurant for food with maybe 20 miles left in the very long day. A couple of guys I knew who were on the tour were sampling whiskeys and beers. I would have passed out with just one sip of booze.

Many years ago I spent nearly 4 months on the road touring in the U.S. I cannot remember one day that I had alcohol during the day's ride. There was plenty of time to drink in camp. Interestingly, there was an alcoholic on the trip. He nearly got arrested for harassing a woman in a ND bar who turned out to be an off-duty state trooper. Then he crashed on the way to camp. One night in MN he didn't show up to camp until way after everyone had turned in because he had been drinking along the day's route. He carried the largest pot that we used to make pasta for the group of 13. Fortunately, that night we camped at a place that also had a restaurant that let us borrow a large pot. One morning, about a week before the end of the trip, he got lit in his tent on a day off in NH. He later went riding, crashed and fractured his clavicle. Somehow he managed to finish the ride.
Old 06-18-20, 11:03 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I'm 60 and rather hooked on hoppy, flavorful IPAs. Everything else, other kinds of beer, even wine, I can do fine without (in fact, if anything makes me feel crappy the next day, it's wine). I have had a tendency to overdo on occasion, so I do have to watch it and be moderate. I'll go to the craft beer store after a ride and only buy one single beer (OK, sometimes a pint when I do this . . .).
But man, after a hard ride, I like my "reward" IPA as I sit in my garage, gazing at my bike.
Old 06-18-20, 11:13 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
He nearly got arrested for harassing a woman in a ND bar who turned out to be an off-duty state trooper.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 06-18-20, 11:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
It was in Fargo, eh.

Not to get off subject, but that ND/MN way of talking was a bit of a shock. The second and third nights in ND were in Minot, which is very large by ND standards. Went to the post office to see of there was any general mail for me. Told the clerk my nast name, which starts with a z and ends in an i. She asked me if it was Eye-Talian. Everyone in ND is so nice to everyone else. Odd for a big city northeasterner to encounter. Rapid City, SD was like that when I was there in 2015 for the start of a tour. I was walking around town. I clearly looked like I was not from those parts. So many strangers on the street said hi to me.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-18-20 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-18-20, 12:03 PM
big john

Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts

We did a ride up the coast and back years ago with a friend who rode over 20,000 miles per year then and was a beast on the bike. Anyway we stopped for lunch at the turn-around, about 30 miles in. Beast guy orders a pitcher of beer and convinces a couple of the other riders to have some. Seeing others drinking he orders a second pitcher, which nobody would touch. He ends up drinking the whole second pitcher and part of the first by himself and got pretty silly.

We all thought he would just cruise back to the start but instead he put the hammer down and dropped some of us off his wheel, giggling the whole way. He may have been even faster than normal.
Old 06-18-20, 12:07 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Wow, the first page of this (old) thread read kinda like the stories at meetings with Bill and pals....
Old 06-18-20, 06:45 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by big john
We did a ride up the coast and back years ago with a friend who rode over 20,000 miles per year then and was a beast on the bike. Anyway we stopped for lunch at the turn-around, about 30 miles in. Beast guy orders a pitcher of beer and convinces a couple of the other riders to have some. Seeing others drinking he orders a second pitcher, which nobody would touch. He ends up drinking the whole second pitcher and part of the first by himself and got pretty silly.

We all thought he would just cruise back to the start but instead he put the hammer down and dropped some of us off his wheel, giggling the whole way. He may have been even faster than normal.
These stories are old as the hills. Have you attempted the same?

C'mon folks, go out there and down a few pitchers of beer and go for a ride......
Old 06-18-20, 08:01 PM
big john

These stories are old as the hills. Have you attempted the same?

C'mon folks, go out there and down a few pitchers of beer and go for a ride......
True story, I was there. And no, I don't drink. Hardcore alcoholic in my younger days. post #33
Old 06-19-20, 08:25 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
This topic doesn’t have much to do with cycling. Moved to Pills and Ills
Old 06-19-20, 02:47 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by big john
True story, I was there. And no, I don't drink. Hardcore alcoholic in my younger days. post #33
I didn't say it wasn't.

The point is people can get away something FOR NOW. There's an old saying about you can pay me now, or pay me later.......
Old 06-19-20, 02:49 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by StanSeven
This topic doesn’t have much to do with cycling. Moved to Pills and Ills
Sadly it does if you drink and get on that bike.........
Old 06-19-20, 04:05 PM
big john

I didn't say it wasn't.

The point is people can get away something FOR NOW. There's an old saying about you can pay me now, or pay me later.......
I wasn't condoning it, or recommending others try it. I drove my car blacked out so many times... I'm so lucky I never hurt anyone.
Old 06-19-20, 04:22 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Thankfully I've never been much of a drinker. I do occasionally love a good IPA and/or a good bourbon or scotch, but I hate getting drunk. It just doesn't feel good. Drinking and riding a bike is one of the worst combinations for me (even if it's only one drink). What others do is their own choice and I don't judge.

Cannabis is a whole other animal. Having had two back surgeries and refusing to allow any doctor to put me on opiates as a means of pain management, cannabis has been a savior. I find it quite conducive to cycling and I never leave the house for a long ride without my vaporizer or some edible oil. I understand it's not for everyone, but it definitely works for me. Last month I rode six centuries and did a total of 2,069 miles (both personal records).
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 06-19-20, 10:25 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Sadly it does if you drink and get on that bike.........
You are correct. And with that it would be riding impaired and that kind of thing will get it deleted.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-21-20, 08:09 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have Parkinson's disease, I already walk funny and have to concentrate on riding to keep a decent pace and cadence, in a straight line. Add to that, the medications I take both have very direct warning labels about alcohol and cannabis use being dangerous. No drinking here for many years now.

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-22-20, 07:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Haven't consumed any alcoholic beverage for 29 years or so now. Never had a drinking problem--did have a stopping problem. So glad I stopped before it had any long lasting adverse effects on my life!! Still would like to see a good football game with an ice cold beer--but won't go there.
Old 06-22-20, 08:33 AM
roundypndr 
Been around the block

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 166 Posts
I stopped drinking alcohol a year ago, even then it was just 3 or 4 bottles of ale over the course of a weekend, but now my energy level and stamina to do weekend projects has greatly improved, and which was a source of frustration on my part in not getting the projects done in a timely manner.
Along with the higher energy level, my memory and thinking abilities improved as well, which also helped getting those weekend and week day chores more organized and done faster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.