Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Saddle (or pants) for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 02:58 AM
astronaut17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm commuting every day for about 7.5 km each direction, regardless of the weather.
I always had a sensitive butt, and it took me some time to find a saddle I'm comfortable with on both commutes and my leisurely rides and tours.
About 2 years ago I bought a Brooks Cambium C17 cut. It is very comfortable, but now another problem has occurred.
All my pants (jeans) had traces of chaffing where my thighs/butt meet the saddle. I usually wear Zara jeans, they were/are my go-to jeans due to their great value for the price.
But then I got tired of destroying all the pants on my saddle, especially as I like to wear things for a minimum of 3 years when I buy them.
More is less, I prefer to have a few pieces of clothing which last, than to have a bunch of disposable junk every few months.

Anyway, I found the swrve brand online which seemingly had the same philosophy as mine.
However, recently I ordered their grey Cordura jeans, which they claim is 5 times more durable than regular denim.
After a few commutes (less than 100 km) they had the same traces of chaffing at the same spots, no difference to cheaper jeans.

Now I'm really desperate because I like the comfortableness of my saddle, but I'm not sure I'm willing to keep throwing away almost new jeans due to commuting.
Now, is there any other brand besides swrve which I should check out? What's your experience with swrve? Did anyone try their jeans?
Maybe, the problem is indeed the Cambium saddle. In this case, which saddle should I try to be at least as much comfortable but not so evil to my pants?

P.S. The swrve jeans seem to be made with high-quality material and the fit is great, and they are really comfy, it's just that I expected that they would endure the abuse by my Cambium a little bit better.
When they arrived, I was ecstatic that I have found the jeans for life, and then was left disappointed...
Old 06-17-20, 06:39 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
My commute is 15 kilometers each way with much longer weekend rides. I've been wearing golf shorts to ride with leggings over them when it is below 3C.

I carry my office clothes to work in a backpack and change there, then I change back into my bike clothes to ride home.

If you don't want to change into different pants, try wearing shorts over your jeans, which may slow the wear on your favorite jeans.
Old 06-17-20, 07:02 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’m quite happy to cross-use (functional) clothing. And struggle to see the difference between ”running socks” and ”cycling socks” etc.

But for frequent and/or long rides, I only use bicycle-specific pants/tights.
The reason being the friction against the saddle. There’s really no reason for non-cycling clothing to have the kind of resistance to rubbing needed for a pair of cycling pants.
Old 06-17-20, 09:28 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I never really liked the feel of the material the Cambium is made of. The leather B17 doesn't chafe like that. Much more comfortable, to me, and no problems with wearing out pants.
Old 06-17-20, 09:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
But for frequent and/or long rides, I only use bicycle-specific pants/tights.
The reason being the friction against the saddle. There’s really no reason for non-cycling clothing to have the kind of resistance to rubbing needed for a pair of cycling pants.
This. When you get to work, pull the Superman Switch. The mild mannered cyclist steps into the handicap restroom stall, and out comes Super Worker! And the jeans last as long as usual.
Old 06-17-20, 11:30 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
This. When you get to work, pull the Superman Switch. The mild mannered cyclist steps into the handicap restroom stall, and out comes Super Worker! And the jeans last as long as usual.
I learned the hard - well, expensive - way.
I do Nordic/cross-country skiing too. So one way or another I’d picked up some thicker tights almost identical to my winter cycling gear. North Face, so no budget option.
Identical until I rode in them that is. Didn’t take many miles until they were properly chewed up in the saddle area.
Old 06-17-20, 11:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm using tracksuit trousers A Polyester knit Aka Jersey * fabric they stretch a bit without spandex in them.

* named for the Channel Island that began making it.. long ago..

Polyester wears much longer than natural fibers like cotton or wool..

Bring the other pants with you and change in the bathroom ..

/...

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-25-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 08:48 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
My work commute is approximately 22km each way (sometimes I take the 'scenic route' around the lake which adds another 1-2 miles to my trip). Used to wear work pants on my rides into work until I had a wardrobe snafu during the middle of the day. Thank God I had a pair of shorts that day (which I was planning to wear on the ride home) and that worked out but ever since, I have been wearing cycling tights (pants/shorts) with chamois to/from work and carrying work clothes with me. I also keep an old backup pair of pants at my desk just in case. It gets heavy at times but I'm used to it.
Old 06-21-20, 01:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
My commute is 8 miles/12.87 kilometers each way, and I wear Target exercise pants with my leather B17; little friction and no wear on the pants, and my work clothes are as fresh as a daisy! Bonus, they wick moisture better than cotton, so everything is less soggy when I get to work. Got to work. I miss the olden days.
Old 06-22-20, 01:51 AM
astronaut17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I contacted swrve, and the chaffing should settle down after a first few ride. Now I'm pretty happy with these jeans, they told me to update them on their condition as I ride them a bit longer.

So leather Brooks B17 works fine? I heard some stories about color leaks etc. - is that a problem just in the beginning or is this just a myth?
I was thinking about getting honey-colored B17 for my commuter/tourer and put my cambium on my MTB.
Old 06-22-20, 10:14 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by astronaut17
I contacted swrve, and the chaffing should settle down after a first few ride. Now I'm pretty happy with these jeans, they told me to update them on their condition as I ride them a bit longer.

So leather Brooks B17 works fine? I heard some stories about color leaks etc. - is that a problem just in the beginning or is this just a myth?
I was thinking about getting honey-colored B17 for my commuter/tourer and put my cambium on my MTB.
I have the honey colored B17, no issues with the color rubbing off. Black can be a different story. Yes, the leather B17 works well. The leather is smooth and slicker than other materials.
Old 06-23-20, 03:01 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Put on biking shorts under your pants. Easy to put on, easy to take off, Saves your bum and should save you pants too. when I ride with pants, I use hiking pants. REI Sahara work great for me.
Old 06-24-20, 09:10 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by GMoser85
Put on biking shorts under your pants. Easy to put on, easy to take off, Saves your bum and should save you pants too. when I ride with pants, I use hiking pants. REI Sahara work great for me.
How will placing the bike shorts UNDER the pants, help protect the pants that are actually making contact with the seat?
Old 06-24-20, 01:39 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I've been riding the C17 Carved for years, gave my trusty B17 to a hockey buddy who is a fair-weather rider (we're still buds). I can see why denim would not hold up with the C17, as the Cambium saddle has a slightly rougher texture than the B17.

I ride with a nylon/spandex blend pant, currently Eddie Bauer First Ascent shorts and long pants. The fabric has a tighter weave than denim, and the nylon blend thread is inherently tougher than cotton. Other advantages are breathability, stretch, and ability to dry more quickly.
Old 06-24-20, 03:07 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Do you wear underwear over your pants or UNDER? Friction is what is causing your pants to breakdown. Using a biking short under lessens the friction going on, in turn causing less wear and tear on your pants.
Old 06-25-20, 02:37 AM
astronaut17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't tried using biking shorts under the pants. It sounds as good enough solution for winter/autumn rides if it works, but in the summer I think it would be too hot.
I think I'll try the leather Brooks, anyways I am getting an MTB now, so I will swap my cambium to MTB and put B17 on my commuter/tourer.
Old 06-25-20, 11:43 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by GMoser85
Do you wear underwear over your pants or UNDER? Friction is what is causing your pants to breakdown. Using a biking short under lessens the friction going on, in turn causing less wear and tear on your pants.
If your pants are wearing due to rubbing against the seat, which is fairly common when using street clothes, then something under the pants won't help. A slicker seat, like the B17 made of leather, will help.