Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheels? What’s the ride and weight advantage

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon wheels? What’s the ride and weight advantage

Old 06-24-20, 02:16 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
It’s not just about the amount of flex. It’s also about how much energy gets lost in the flex. The alloy rims feel better for that reason. Wheels do matter:

I’m not sure how you could possibly argue that wheel construction doesn’t affect ride feel whatsoever.
The flex is lateral, so what does that matter for road feel? I mean, yeah, I certainly don't want my wheels flexing and hitting my brake pads when I sprint or something, but that doesn't change the feel of my bike in any way.

It's pretty easy.
Old 06-24-20, 02:17 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
The flex is lateral, so what does that matter for road feel? I mean, yeah, I certainly don't want my wheels flexing and hitting my brake pads when I sprint or something, but that doesn't change the feel of my bike in any way.

It's pretty easy.
You didn’t even look at the video. Please do. Responsiveness is a big deal, and it’s one of a few reasons people spend big bucks on bikes.
Old 06-24-20, 02:18 PM
rubiksoval

You didn’t even look at the video. Please do. Responsiveness is a big deal, and it’s one of a few reasons people spend big bucks on bikes.
And you apparently didn't read the question to which I was responding. Lateral flex has nothing to do with what was asked or what I responded to.

Bike responsiveness. Not wheel responsiveness. Whatever that is.
Old 06-24-20, 02:20 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by kosmo886
What about ride feel?
Wheels don't change the feel.
And you apparently didn't read the question to which I was responding. Lateral flex has nothing to do with what was asked or what I responded to.
How does lateral flex not affect ride feel?
Old 06-24-20, 02:21 PM
rubiksoval

How does lateral flex not affect ride feel?
Because it only occurs under significant torque?
Old 06-24-20, 02:22 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
[QUOTE=kosmo886;21548822What’s the advantage of going with carbon wheels? [/QUOTE]

Lighter for the same profile, easier to manufacture for a specific shape, arguably stronger than steel or aluminum.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-24-20, 02:25 PM
smashndash

Because it only occurs under significant torque?
Which is easily achieved when you stand up on the bike and sway it side to side.

What’s your point here? That there is absolutely no perceptible difference in feel between wheels? You really think people can’t feel a wheel flexing when they throw a bike around? I’m saying you can, and that video shows why. I am far from the only person in the world who thinks so. Why do you think Lightweight wheels sell for 5 grand despite being ugly as sin?
Old 06-24-20, 02:33 PM
rubiksoval

Which is easily achieved when you stand up on the bike and sway it side to side.

What’s your point here? That there is absolutely no perceptible difference in feel between wheels? You really think people can’t feel a wheel flexing when they throw a bike around? I’m saying you can, and that video shows why. I am far from the only person in the world who thinks so. Why do you think Lightweight wheels sell for 5 grand despite being ugly as sin?
My point? I made my point in my first reply.

A better question would be, what's the point of your irrelevant tangent that doesn't address my reply nor the OP?
Old 06-24-20, 02:37 PM
smashndash

My point? I made my point in my first reply.

A better question would be, what's the point of your irrelevant tangent that doesn't address my reply nor the OP?
I must be missing something. What is your definition of “ride feel”? Mine is “the things you feel when riding”. OP asked about the difference in ride feel between carbon and alloy wheels.

You say there is no difference in ride feel.

I say there is a difference in ride feel.

And explained why, and I uploaded my source. And all you have is a bunch of weirdly hostile remarks that seem willfully ignorant. I don’t understand why you’re doing this. Please explain where I went wrong.
Old 06-24-20, 02:40 PM
rubiksoval

I must be missing something. What is your definition of “ride feel”? Mine is “the things you feel when riding”. OP asked about the difference in ride feel between carbon and alloy wheels.

You say there is no difference in ride feel.

I say there is a difference in ride feel.

And explained why, and I uploaded my source. And all you have is a bunch of weirdly hostile remarks that seem willfully ignorant. I don’t understand why you’re doing this. Please explain where I went wrong.
Ride feel is how the bike rides. Not how much your wheels flex when you apply significant torque.

You went wrong in thinking that you having flexy aluminum wheels has anything to do with my response. And you went wrong in thinking that I somehow owe you some in depth explanation of my response to a post that wasn't yours. If you don't understand my posts, then stop responding to them and your bewilderment will alleviate itself.
Old 06-24-20, 02:47 PM
smashndash

Ride feel is how the bike rides. Not how much your wheels flex when you apply significant torque.

You went wrong in thinking that you having flexy aluminum wheels has anything to do with my response.
Yes. My bike rides more sluggishly uphill with deep carbon rims. I feel that. That’s ride feel. This thread is specifically about wheels. OP has alloy wheels and is thinking about getting carbon wheels. So I’m sharing my experience and opinion about that upgrade.

That opinion differs from yours, does it not? Or do you now agree that different wheels have different feel? Is that somehow completely irrelevant to the discussion of ride feel when talking about a wheel upgrade?

You’re being deliberately obtuse at this point, so I’m done. You have a weird way of dealing with simple disagreements. You couldn’t actually refute my point about how wheels do affect ride feel, so you’re spouting all sorts of nonsense for god knows what reason. Good luck with that.
Old 06-24-20, 02:51 PM
rubiksoval

Yes. My bike rides more sluggishly uphill with deep carbon rims. I feel that. That’s ride feel. This thread is specifically about wheels. OP has alloy wheels and is thinking about getting carbon wheels. So I’m sharing my experience and opinion about that upgrade.

That opinion differs from yours, does it not? Or do you now agree that different wheels have different feel? Is that somehow completely irrelevant to the discussion of ride feel when talking about a wheel upgrade?

You’re being deliberately obtuse at this point, so I’m done. You have a weird way of dealing with simple disagreements. You couldn’t actually refute my point about how wheels do affect ride feel, so you’re spouting all sorts of nonsense for god knows what reason. Good luck with that.
No, you're not. You're starting an argument about something that was never even addressed.

You mean I have a way of giving succinct responses to irrelevant, misguided posts that then attribute false pejoratives to said responses? A bit circular there, but okay. It'is not like you're not dropping fallacies in each successive post, anyways. Like I said, your confusion can be easily alleviated. Hope it soon is.
Old 06-24-20, 03:12 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I need a set of road wheels/tires for my Cannondale Topstone Carbon. What’s the advantage of going with carbon wheels? I’ve found it very hard to compare wheelset weights. How much weight advantage is there? What about ride feel? Any suggested wheels that don’t break the bank?
Not real clear about the definition of ride feel, but deeper section carbon wheels can be a little more difficult to handle in side winds. Deeper section wheels also can be slower on steeper climbs where the speed is in the single digits.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 06-24-20, 04:17 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
the WI freehub body is made of ti, which is cool.
I actually think that is their biggest flaw. Mine is just chewed to hell, and the lockring thread is starting to strip. (Lock-ring torqued to 40 N x m with calibrated Park Tool torque wrench.)

I would recommend Chris King. I haven't had this issue with the steel freehub body.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-25-20 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-24-20, 07:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I actually think that is their biggest flaw. Mine is just chewed to hell, and the lockring thread is starting to strip.

Get Chris King.
Yikes. Good to know. Thanks. Hopefully they will replace it under warranty?

fwiw, I have a 17-year old Dura Ace hub with a ti freehub shell, and it's still in good shape.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-24-20, 09:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

fwiw, I have a 17-year old Dura Ace hub with a ti freehub shell, and it's still in good shape.
It's out of warranty. I have two sets of WI hubs. The other one has a Crampy freehub. So far it is fine. I think the old Shimano design invites problems. A non-steel freehub and an ape like me only makes it worse.

Today I forgot my 1.3 lb saddle bag with tools, tube, etc. I noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever climbing 3,000 ft. Saving weight on the freehub just seems silly.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 06-24-20 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-24-20, 09:16 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

Ti freehub bodies are fine, unless you get careless and under-torque the lockring.
Old 06-25-20, 07:01 AM
bet1216

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it is important to qualify comparisons when discussing statements like sluggish uphill with deep carbon rims. Compared to what? For example I a set of shallow aluminum Mavic Askium's that came with a bike with some middle of the road tires and cheap butyl tubes (now just collecting dust on my wall because I don't ride them at all anymore). However, I did ride them a few times. I also have a set of Zipp 404's with latex tubes and Conti 5000 tires. The Zipps are extremely more responsive than the Mavics. The Aluminum wheels are the sluggish wheels when compared to the Zipps. The Zipp combo weights 300-400 grams lighter too. The Zipp hubs roll better, the latex and conti 5000 also roll better. The zipps at 58mm depth fly up hills and a significantly better "ride quality" compared to the shallow aluminum rims. However, that doesn't necessarily hold true for all wheels. Back in the day I had set of Mavic Helium aluminum wheels that rolled very nice and also were great climbers. Not the most robust wheel though. I would take the 404's over them any day as an all rounder.
Old 06-25-20, 07:09 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by bet1216
I think it is important to qualify comparisons when discussing statements like sluggish uphill with deep carbon rims. Compared to what?

The Zipps are extremely more responsive than the Mavics. The Aluminum wheels are the sluggish wheels when compared to the Zipps. The Zipp combo weights 300-400 grams lighter too. The Zipp hubs roll better, the latex and conti 5000 also roll better.
Right. I think my alloy wheelset and carbon wheels are about the same weight. This is with the same tires, same tubes. Same number of spokes too. Both have Sapim CX-ray spokes in the back. But my carbon rims are LB, which probably isn’t as nice as Zipp 404s. I wouldn’t know.
Old 06-25-20, 08:51 PM
colnago62

I think it is important to qualify comparisons when discussing statements like sluggish uphill with deep carbon rims. Compared to what? For example I a set of shallow aluminum Mavic Askium's that came with a bike with some middle of the road tires and cheap butyl tubes (now just collecting dust on my wall because I don't ride them at all anymore). However, I did ride them a few times. I also have a set of Zipp 404's with latex tubes and Conti 5000 tires. The Zipps are extremely more responsive than the Mavics. The Aluminum wheels are the sluggish wheels when compared to the Zipps. The Zipp combo weights 300-400 grams lighter too. The Zipp hubs roll better, the latex and conti 5000 also roll better. The zipps at 58mm depth fly up hills and a significantly better "ride quality" compared to the shallow aluminum rims. However, that doesn't necessarily hold true for all wheels. Back in the day I had set of Mavic Helium aluminum wheels that rolled very nice and also were great climbers. Not the most robust wheel though. I would take the 404's over them any day as an all rounder.

I don’t really consider 404’s deep carbon wheels. I feel like they are a good sweet spot in terms of depth and weight. I have an 808 wheelset and a Boyd 90mm wheelset that I use on the velodrome. I consider those deep carbon. Depth like that is perfect for the track because mass start events always begin at about 15mph or more and the wind issues are not as severe. I couldn’t imagine climbing with either set. Compared to wheels in the 50mm range, they are boat anchors in terms of weight.

Last edited by colnago62; 06-25-20 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 09:17 PM
bet1216

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62
I don’t really consider 404’s deep carbon wheels. I feel like they are a good sweet spot in terms of depth and weight. I have an 808 wheelset and a Boyd 90mm wheelset that I use on the velodrome. I consider those deep carbon. Depth like that is perfect for the track because mass start events always begin at about 15mph or more and the wind issues are not as severe. I couldn’t imagine climbing with either set. Compared to wheels in the 50mm range, they are boat anchors in terms of weight.
I agree if you going to compare it to something like an 808. I have an 808 rear for my TT bike and I guess I really don't consider it an option for a road bike under general riding conditions. I don't know anyone that rides something like an 808 on anything except time trialing and track. The 808 is not a fun wheel on big climbs that is for sure (well actually neither is a TT bike ).
Likes For bet1216:
Old 06-26-20, 01:18 AM
colnago62

I agree if you going to compare it to something like an 808. I have an 808 rear for my TT bike and I guess I really don't consider it an option for a road bike under general riding conditions. I don't know anyone that rides something like an 808 on anything except time trialing and track. The 808 is not a fun wheel on big climbs that is for sure (well actually neither is a TT bike ).
I have seen crit. specialists ride them on fast open courses. I would hate to have to accelerate them on a tight course.
Old 06-26-20, 01:33 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The advantage is that they look ******' badass.
sure have to agree with that....
Old 06-27-20, 10:49 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Right. I think my alloy wheelset and carbon wheels are about the same weight. This is with the same tires, same tubes. Same number of spokes too. Both have Sapim CX-ray spokes in the back. But my carbon rims are LB, which probably isn’t as nice as Zipp 404s. I wouldn’t know.
Curious about this. Any other differences besides material? Flange distance? Lacing pattern?

Going from some fancy (to me, anyway) handbuilt aluminum wheels with 8:16 lacing on a wide hub to the LB AR45 (pretty sure it's 2x?), I felt like I really noticed the difference in tires/tire width more than anything else.

Last edited by upthywazzoo; 06-27-20 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-27-20, 11:12 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Curious about this. Any other differences besides material? Flange distance? Lacing pattern?

Going from some fancy (to me, anyway) handbuilt aluminum wheels with 8:16 lacing on a wide hub to the LB AR45 (pretty sure it's 2x?), I felt like I really noticed the difference in tires/tire width more than anything else.
Radial front, 2x rear on both wheels. The DT350 hubs on my LB have a slightly narrower flange width, specifically on the NDS side. Probably to keep the tension higher on the NDS side. So that could potentially be a reason why. But I highly doubt that the lauded 350 hub would feel that much worse than a cheapo bitex RAR12. Initially I thought it was the bearing seals, but the feeling never went away. Felt like I was suffocating uphill. Mine are the AR56 btw

It’s less about material and more about depth IMO. The deeper the rim, the bigger the “lever arm” that is acting upon the hinge point (the spoke/rim intersection) and the stiffer the rim needs to be to compensate. The AR56 is insanely light for how deep and wide it is, so I’m not super surprised.

Last edited by smashndash; 06-27-20 at 11:16 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.