Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 07:33 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by pmferna
So, you're saying that a 130 width wheel will fit into my 87 SR 1000 frameset? I just want to make sure before I make any expensive decision in the future. I believe last time I tried measuring it looks just shy of 130mm.

Also, what about the headset? Assuming from the 1 1/8 internal diameter seat post, I believe the headtube also has a full 1 1/8 internal diameter, right? I'm wondering if I can go threadless or if I need a quill stem adapter and again, appreciate any help here.
Yes, a 130mm rear hub will slide easillyninto your 126 or 128mm rear dropouts. It’s onlly a few mm., done it literally dozens of times on many Cannondales without any problems after tens of thousands of miles.
Realignment of the dropout is not necessary.

Headset is a normal 1inch threaded item, available pretty much everywhere. Crown race is 26.4mm, get that right and the rest falls into place.

Seatpost on these frames is the very popular 27.2 mm.
Old 06-05-20, 08:00 AM
pmferna

Bikes: 1980 Sekai; 1987 Cannondale SR 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Yes, a 130mm rear hub will slide easillyninto your 126 or 128mm rear dropouts. It’s onlly a few mm., done it literally dozens of times on many Cannondales without any problems after tens of thousands of miles.
Realignment of the dropout is not necessary.

Headset is a normal 1inch threaded item, available pretty much everywhere. Crown race is 26.4mm, get that right and the rest falls into place.

Seatpost on these frames is the very popular 27.2 mm.
Cool! Thanks! I'm trying to post a picture but there are too many rules in the forum. I will post later.
Old 06-05-20, 12:47 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
So, you're saying that a 130 width wheel will fit into my 87 SR 1000 frameset? I just want to make sure before I make any expensive decision in the future. I believe last time I tried measuring it looks just shy of 130mm.
Cannondales have stiffer chainstays than most steel frames but they will still flex easily enough to accommodate the wider hub. I did the calculation once, as someone had posted some fear-mongering link off the internet suggesting that bad things would happen if the dropouts were not realigned. IIRC, assuming the dropouts were perfectly straight to start (unlikely), they'd sit at ~0.5 degrees after being stretched. If you can eyeball that, you are better than me! As noted already, don't even think twice about it. It will be fine.

Also, what about the headset? Assuming from the 1 1/8 internal diameter seat post, I believe the headtube also has a full 1 1/8 internal diameter, right? I'm wondering if I can go threadless or if I need a quill stem adapter and again, appreciate any help here.
I can't let a question go by about going threadless on a vintage frame without commenting, or at least inserting a pic. Below is an SR500 I built up on a budget using some Mavic wheels (early 2000s but Mavic got lucky and made them with a freehub that accepts modern 11 speed cassettes) and Shimano 105 5800. The headset is something I designed allowing threadless stems to be cleanly fitted to threaded forks. These old fat-tubed Cannondales work well for this type of conversion, in my opinion. I left it uncut for this pic but the stem can be 'slammed' down on top of the upper bearing or fitted with up to 50mm of spacers as shown.

Likes For joejack951:
Old 06-05-20, 01:13 PM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Cannondales have stiffer chainstays than most steel frames but they will still flex easily enough to accommodate the wider hub. I did the calculation once, as someone had posted some fear-mongering link off the internet suggesting that bad things would happen if the dropouts were not realigned. IIRC, assuming the dropouts were perfectly straight to start (unlikely), they'd sit at ~0.5 degrees after being stretched. If you can eyeball that, you are better than me! As noted already, don't even think twice about it. It will be fine.

I can't let a question go by about going threadless on a vintage frame without commenting, or at least inserting a pic. Below is an SR500 I built up on a budget using some Mavic wheels (early 2000s but Mavic got lucky and made them with a freehub that accepts modern 11 speed cassettes) and Shimano 105 5800. The headset is something I designed allowing threadless stems to be cleanly fitted to threaded forks. These old fat-tubed Cannondales work well for this type of conversion, in my opinion. I left it uncut for this pic but the stem can be 'slammed' down on top of the upper bearing or fitted with up to 50mm of spacers as shown.
Looks great! I can't see the detail of the spacers. Any suggestions on where to find the parts for a similar headset? It's probably one thing I may invest this season. I think I can leave with the current wheels, hubs, derailleurs, etc. for now. Thanks for the added confirmation on the advice for a modern hub. I will definitely make plans for an upgrade.
Old 06-05-20, 01:38 PM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As it is now before any modification. Well, I put new tires and new tubes and cleaned it a little.
Likes For pmferna:
Old 06-06-20, 12:50 AM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's 11 speed Shimano 105 installed on an 88 SR500 frameset with 11 speed wheels. 130 width wheels easily slide into the rear dropouts.
A 7 speed Shimano freewheel should work just fine with 7 speed STI's. There's no way to convert a freewheel hub into a freehub style, gotta replace it. But any 8-9-10-11 speed rear hub will fit easily as noted above, and you can use a spacer behind a 7 speed cassette to get the correct spacing.

Not sure what the issue is with your B screw, but that RD won't shift anything larger than a 28 tooth cog in the back.

Some pics of the B-screw below. Let me know if you have any advice on how to handle it. Thanks!

Old 06-06-20, 08:47 AM
rccardr 

Not sure what the problem is there. Does the B screw drop off the bottom of the dropout?
If so, I’d be tempted to remove the RD and GENTLY bend the tab to bring the screw is closer. If the tab collar then rubs on the dropout, file away a little bit of the tab until it clears.

You chain may also be a little too long.
Old 06-06-20, 09:18 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I have an 87 white Cannondale SR 1000. Mostly all original parts. The paint still looks great. Bike rides fine, but I wanted to know if I can find a good thread or someone that could guide me for upgrades. The previous owner switched the original rear derailleur, crank arm, and chainrings with a Shimano Tiagra 9 speed. I'm looking to replace the downtube shifting to brifters (already have a pair of Shimano RSX brifters to install). Not looking to spend a lot of money, but wondered what others have done with theirs.

I'm sorry if this is ins the wrong thread. I will post pictures when allowed.

Thanks!
Are the RSX shifters 9 speed ? Is the rear wheel also 9 speed now ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-06-20, 09:30 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I broke one too. I was fortunate to have access to a TIG welder, and a donor dropout, so I made a clean cut in the dropout, cut the hanger off the donor dropout, and TIG welded it back together. I still ride the bike.
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
During a crash while riding in a paceline, I broke the derailleur hanger on the frame. Since these were not replaceable back then .....

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-08-20, 02:54 PM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure what the problem is there. Does the B screw drop off the bottom of the dropout?
If so, I’d be tempted to remove the RD and GENTLY bend the tab to bring the screw is closer. If the tab collar then rubs on the dropout, file away a little bit of the tab until it clears.

You chain may also be a little too long.

It's hard to see in the picture, but at a certain point, the B-screw only lands half of its tip on the dropout. As you screw it more, it has less and less of the tip touching the bottom. I'm afraid I'm not as experienced as a bike mechanic as many of you to understand what gently means.

It's been too long since I worked on a bike, and it's taking me forever to clean and repair things! Frustrating at times when there are so many mismatching components on this bike from the previous owner. I had already put new tubes and tires, and this weekend I replaced all the brake and shift cables, replaced the aero brakes with the Shimano RSX STI ST-A410 (After disassembling the hood, cleaning the gunky old grease, and greasing it back), replaced the Dia Compe calipers with Shimano RSX. Replaced the old and nasty bar tape, and the old 6-speed freewheel with a Shimano 7-speed 14-28t Freewheel. The result (you'll see why I'm a newbie and desperately looking for help when all the bike shops are saturated):

Front derailleur doesn't shift to the larger chainring. I tried everything! The left STI looks like it doesn't have 3 speeds. I only use the largest chairing in my rides anyway, so, for the moment, I "trapped" the derailleur to the largest chainring. The right seems to work fine shifting. I can really tell it has all the 7-speeds. But, I can't get to the smallest cog, and the chain keeps trying to get to the largest cog and when it does, it jumps out of the freewheel. I tried all the adjustments, including cable tension, and nothing works well. Put back the old freewheel, and it's way smoother. I can ride for now but would like help from people to find a way to align the components without breaking the bank. New wheels are expensive, and I'm thinking of looking for used options as well as looking for a set of back and front derailleurs and crank that would work well with the STI shifters I just installed.

Here's an updated pic:

Old 06-08-20, 02:56 PM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Are the RSX shifters 9 speed ? Is the rear wheel also 9 speed now ?
See my reply above. The RSX shifters were supposed to be 3x7, but I'm guessing they're 2x7, or the left has the 3rd "leg" broken
Old 06-08-20, 03:06 PM
rccardr 

You need a knowledgeable friend in Illinois. We could fix this in my home shop in about fifteen minutes.
Hard to do it by remote.
Old 06-08-20, 03:16 PM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You need a knowledgeable friend in Illinois. We could fix this in my home shop in about fifteen minutes.
Hard to do it by remote.
Bummer! I even went to a local bike shop, but the guy was so overwhelmed with the current demand that he gave me a "not sure what to do with your problem" answer. I was having fun with the project until I wasn't. And the information I can find is so confusing!
Old 06-08-20, 07:23 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Bummer! I even went to a local bike shop, but the guy was so overwhelmed with the current demand that he gave me a "not sure what to do with your problem" answer.
I can relate to that shop guy. I worked at our LBS today - typical day. The phone starts ringing 2 hours before we open and does not stop all day, two lines. Keeps ringing for an hour after we close. The people are many and milling about outside the door all day without a break, some in masks, some distancing. Most of them are in a pretty good mood and understand but some expect "special services". Sir, we have a list of 115 people ahead of you. I cannot help you right now. "Well I have a big ride tomorrow. You have to do this now!"

We end each day further behind than when we started. The owner has pulled out all the hair he had and the mechanics are real tired. Starts again the next day.

Not or a good time to need creative help on a vintage bike. Who knows when.....
Old 06-08-20, 11:48 PM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I can relate to that shop guy. I worked at our LBS today - typical day. The phone starts ringing 2 hours before we open and does not stop all day, two lines. Keeps ringing for an hour after we close. The people are many and milling about outside the door all day without a break, some in masks, some distancing. Most of them are in a pretty good mood and understand but some expect "special services". Sir, we have a list of 115 people ahead of you. I cannot help you right now. "Well I have a big ride tomorrow. You have to do this now!"

We end each day further behind than when we started. The owner has pulled out all the hair he had and the mechanics are real tired. Starts again the next day.

Not or a good time to need creative help on a vintage bike. Who knows when.....
You're being unreasonable and didn't get my point. I acknowledge the bike shops have been overwhelmed and was not trying to put blame on the person that saw my bike. Just sad I couldn't solve the problem alone and that it's been tougher now with the current scenario. I also didn't say that I needed it to be fixed now. I can see it happening, and I'm sorry that you have to deal with that kind of person. Don't we all have that some point? It can be frustrating working on a place that for most things you used to have a solution, now all you have is to deal with a low inventory of parts and tons of people on your front steps. If I was you, I would be glad I had a job in high demand. At the end of the day, people are working so many hours because there's money to be made now than at any other time in their lives in this industry. That might not happen the same way later. I wish the guy would have said something like, hey, it's being crazy lately, why don't we schedule an appointment so you can drop your bike and we can look at it to give you a couple of solutions? He just turned me down. Most likely I will never knock on his door again.
Likes For pmferna:
Old 06-09-20, 12:04 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Looks great! I can't see the detail of the spacers. Any suggestions on where to find the parts for a similar headset? It's probably one thing I may invest this season. I think I can leave with the current wheels, hubs, derailleurs, etc. for now. Thanks for the added confirmation on the advice for a modern hub. I will definitely make plans for an upgrade.
Sorry for my slow reply. If you would like to get your hands on the same headset, search 'innicycle' on Amazon but only if you want silver. If you want black, get in touch with me directly, and soon. I'm nearly out of stock and production of more units will take some time. Word of warning, these generally don't go on budget builds. It's a niche product with a lot of precision CNC'd components and carries a price that reflects it. Most feel it's worth the money; others not so much. To each their own. I wanted to create the best solution for running threadless stems with an original threaded steel fork and this is the result. If you compare the cost of a high end (Cane Creek 110 or Chris King) headset plus a threadless adapter, the price isn't so bad. Relative to just a $20 threadless adapter, it stings a bit.
Old 06-09-20, 01:48 PM
pmferna

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Sorry for my slow reply. If you would like to get your hands on the same headset, search 'innicycle' on Amazon but only if you want silver. If you want black, get in touch with me directly, and soon. I'm nearly out of stock and production of more units will take some time. Word of warning, these generally don't go on budget builds. It's a niche product with a lot of precision CNC'd components and carries a price that reflects it. Most feel it's worth the money; others not so much. To each their own. I wanted to create the best solution for running threadless stems with an original threaded steel fork and this is the result. If you compare the cost of a high end (Cane Creek 110 or Chris King) headset plus a threadless adapter, the price isn't so bad. Relative to just a $20 threadless adapter, it stings a bit.
No worries! It looks really nice. I'm adding to my list of parts for a future project. After some snags with mismatched components right now, I'll focus on working on anything that's not working well. I got a bit frustrated and that a lot is out of our control for a while, and we need to work with what's available. I appreciate the information. Thanks!

Last edited by pmferna; 06-09-20 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 12:13 AM
aceves 

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 55 Posts
My 1997 Cannondale F700, just finished it. 1x8 drivetrain, new tires, new saddle, new grips. Great ride!!

aceves

Likes For aceves:
Old 06-19-20, 10:42 PM
Wes in Missouri

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli, 2005 Bianchi Axis, 1988 Cannondale R600, 1992 Diamond Back Venture, 93 Cannondale r600,Trek 820, Cannondale Delta V 1000, 87 Cannondale M400

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 14 Posts
I stumbled on to my daughters first real bike

I was meeting a guy for a set of wheels and ended up getting this for $125 for my daughter. It needs tires, tubes and bar tape.

This is the after picture. Rides like a dream.

This was the unexpected donor bike. I saw it at a garage sale and had to stop and look. It turned out to have a new set of tires the size we needed and for some reason it had a Mavic front rim that is a perfect match for the back rim on the Cannondale . Bought it for $25. This is it after I put some tires and a wheel that I had laying around on it.

Last edited by Wes in Missouri; 06-20-20 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
Likes For Wes in Missouri:
Old 06-25-20, 07:32 AM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts

Likes For trailmix:
Old 06-26-20, 05:00 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Been riding the ST1000 a lot lately. It rides much more S than T!

Very nice
Likes For trailmix:
Old 06-26-20, 05:20 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Thanks! It's a sweet ride.
Old 06-26-20, 05:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Thanks! It's a sweet ride.
These anthracite colored ST1000s remain one of my Grail touring bikes. I mean, I'll take a black T1000 or ST1000, because the top is still the top, but there is something iconic about the anthracite. I've had my taste of the ST life with a few of them, but still look for a local one like this, just in 25" size. It'll join the party with my '83 Specialized Expedition, which is an epic bike in its own right.
Old 06-26-20, 05:33 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Funnily, I've never ridden with it fully loaded. When I take it on my commute, there's a segment that I TT if the wind is not too bad, and this bike has my fastest effort! With knobby 32mm Panaracer's! Plus it has gotten a lot of looks and many appreciative comments from locals.
Another plus is it will make a great rain bike.
Old 06-27-20, 11:51 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
These anthracite colored ST1000s remain one of my Grail touring bikes. I mean, I'll take a black T1000 or ST1000, because the top is still the top, but there is something iconic about the anthracite. I've had my taste of the ST life with a few of them, but still look for a local one like this, just in 25" size. It'll join the party with my '83 Specialized Expedition, which is an epic bike in its own right.
heres my 63cm 1992 T1000 during a ride a little while back..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.