Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Power meter comparison (powerpod?) - what is best/easiest without spending a fortune?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Power meter comparison (powerpod?) - what is best/easiest without spending a fortune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 10:44 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Would you agree that a bathroom scale measures your weight? Because it's using the same proxy a direct force power meter uses.
They do indeed measure weight, but they purport to measure mass.
Old 06-26-20, 10:46 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
I'm not quite sure which "YouTube guy" you're talking about but "steady pace riding" is the lowest bar. For steady state riding all you really need is a speedometer.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/...th-review.html
Old 06-26-20, 11:11 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 488 Posts
Ah. In post #66 above I mentioned a comparison "we" tried to do in 2018 of the Power Pod, the Notio Konect, and the Aerostick? That was with Ray.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/09/...e-edition.html
Old 06-27-20, 04:34 AM
colnago62

Ah. In post #66 above I mentioned a comparison "we" tried to do in 2018 of the Power Pod, the Notio Konect, and the Aerostick? That was with Ray.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/09/...e-edition.html
He seems to dig pretty deep into the gadgets he tests. I read what he and his friend from Australia had to say about the issues with the Shimano power meter. I dodged a bullet on that one. I was looking at buying a unit.
Old 06-27-20, 07:16 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,132 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
He seems to dig pretty deep into the gadgets he tests.
Ray has a lot more patience than I have.

Originally Posted by colnago62
That YouTube guy that does all those in-depth reviews on bike equipment actually said the power pods were as accurate as other power meters out there under steady pace riding.
I've known Ray for years, and have worked on a few power meter related projects with him, including that one in the wind tunnel, but also a few others. I think he tries to figure out what the use case and value proposition are for each product he reviews, and then evaluate them from that perspective. That's wise, mature, and probably the right thing to do. I don't have to write reviews for a living so I don't have to be polite. One of the side effects of Ray's wise and mature approach is that his reviews can sometimes be like Rorschach ink blot tests: people see in them what they want to see. You read his short comments about the Power Pod and came away thinking "they're as accurate as other power meters!" I did the behind-the-scenes analysis for Ray's original review of the Stages where I laid out where it did well and where it did poorly. Later, people would cite Ray's review to me in defense of what they thought, not knowing that I did the analysis. I think that's kind of amusing.
Old 06-27-20, 08:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Remember the Arofly?
https://www.arofly.com/main/arofly-elite-en/
Old 06-27-20, 09:06 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
at least it is easy to install.
Old 06-27-20, 11:37 AM
colnago62

Ray has a lot more patience than I have.

I've known Ray for years, and have worked on a few power meter related projects with him, including that one in the wind tunnel, but also a few others. I think he tries to figure out what the use case and value proposition are for each product he reviews, and then evaluate them from that perspective. That's wise, mature, and probably the right thing to do. I don't have to write reviews for a living so I don't have to be polite. One of the side effects of Ray's wise and mature approach is that his reviews can sometimes be like Rorschach ink blot tests: people see in them what they want to see. You read his short comments about the Power Pod and came away thinking "they're as accurate as other power meters!" I did the behind-the-scenes analysis for Ray's original review of the Stages where I laid out where it did well and where it did poorly. Later, people would cite Ray's review to me in defense of what they thought, not knowing that I did the analysis. I think that's kind of amusing.
It is probably less of how DC Rainmaker wrote it and more of me not accurately remembering what he wrote.

Overall, I’ve found that the PowerPod can be solidly accurate in most situations, assuming you are aware of the limitations – or aware of changes to configuration that could impact it. Further, it’s ability to seemingly ‘heal’ itself does act as a bit of a safety net should the aerodynamic profile change significantly enough to otherwise impact power readers. I’d sum it up as: If you do a clean calibration ride – things are impressively accurate across a wide range of riding environments and positions.
He didn’t say it was comparable to other power meters.
Old 06-28-20, 10:22 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
"Accurate given the limitations" is a really nice way to say that something sucks but here's some silver lining.

He really is so diplomatic, eh?

Last edited by ridethecliche; 06-29-20 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-29-20, 12:03 PM
binkata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
I use the PowerPod V3 on one of my bikes. It works as I expected and the Isaac software provides data other power meters don't like wind. My only con is Isaac only runs on Windows or Macs which requires me to take the PowerPod from the bike to the computer. This means the tilt setting changes each time and the PowerPod must adjust at the beginning of the ride after removal. There is an app which allows you to setup profiles but not extract data. 4 profiles are available and the PP switches profiles based on the wireless sensor ID's if you have more than one bike with different sensors.
I switch my previous generation PowerPod between two of my bikes and have reduced the hassle completely by using Garmin VIRB combo mounts. I tried with a knockoff, but it was too bouncy and caused inaccurate readings, but the thick plastic Garmin brand mount is beefy and sturdy despite its lack of metal. A simple quarter turn and the PowerPod is locked back into place (then press down on the unit to "set" it at the full tilt up).

The only drawback is that my Edge computer screen is more level, when I liked it a bit tilted up for easier reading.

I'm happy with my PowerPod, even if calibration was difficult. But the company has excellent support--I sent in my unit to be inspected after running into issues when I wanted to add a second bike, and they helped me with it for free even though I've had it for years. The main reason I use it is for the wind data--there is a steady, stiff afternoon bay breeze here, and I like having more accurate calorie burn/work output info than just the estimates on Garmin Connect or Strava. (Especially since it's almost a direct headwind for 25 miles when I ride home from work, about half of which is on a gravel path.)
Old 06-29-20, 04:02 PM
MovingViolation

Bikes: Brompton S6R-X, Tern Verge X20, Moulton SST, BMC RoadMachine, Bianchi Infinito CV, Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IIRC PowerPod is based in Lovely Flat Florida. In flat terrain doing TT/Triathlon type training, I’m sure it’s plenty good for steady state and interval training.

I live in a place with rolling terrain + some steep climbs. I started out with PowerPod and shifted to Quarq after 12 months. For my use case there is no comparison: Quarq wins hands down. PowerPods were definitely overstating power on downhill spin outs. Also would get insane transient power spikes when dropping outer pedal to corner at high speed.

Thinking about this more, another issue is simply road surface quality. PP has settings for this in the software, but bumps and thumps probably don’t just affect rolling resistance part of the balance of forces calculation ... also going to have transient effects on the ability of the system to determine whether or not one is (say) going downhill or level or uphill — suspect this caused transient power spikes as crank rotation when spinning out would then look like big power input.

Anwyay, if you really want to be *sure* and you don’t just ride flat good quality roads, buy a crank-spider type power meter and live happily ever after.

PS: If I were interested in my aero performance, I’d buy one for the CdA measurement feature. Absolutely. They’re a good company and provide good forum support. Just not for me for my use case.