Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 06-29-20, 09:44 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Does anybody proof things at Specialized? They put out a "stop riding" safety notice with a note that they'll update things in a week, but fail to put a date on the notice.

- Mark
Old 06-29-20, 10:01 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
ive been to both my specialized local retailers and neither shop is doing the repairs / replacements yet . . . both shops indicated they have not yet been authorized by specialized to do the service nor have they received the replacement cranks . . . so yeah, it's STOP RIDING but no info on timeline for the replacements . . . I rode around my neighborhood tonight to test it / feel how loose it was, and the crank came off during the ride, it was hanging there clipped to my shoe and I rode home using only the right leg
Old 06-30-20, 06:21 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Does anybody proof things at Specialized? They put out a "stop riding" safety notice with a note that they'll update things in a week, but fail to put a date on the notice.

- Mark
Notice appeared last Friday (June 26th); it's dated on the Canadian site.

Left bike at dealer yesterday ('19 Sirrus X Comp carbon), as it's not safely rideable anyway. We'll see how long this takes. Putting my older, heavily-upgraded Sirrus ('10 Comp) back into service in the meantime.
Old 06-30-20, 09:38 AM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Notice appeared last Friday (June 26th); it's dated on the Canadian site.

Left bike at dealer yesterday ('19 Sirrus X Comp carbon), as it's not safely rideable anyway. We'll see how long this takes. Putting my older, heavily-upgraded Sirrus ('10 Comp) back into service in the meantime.
Hey Badger thanks for the updates.

Can anyone provide any feedback as to whether the issue is isolated to the crankset specifically or whether it impacts the bottom bracket as well? I replaced the stock crankset with a Sora one and wondering if that would address the problem or not. My LBS hasn't gotten back to me yet
Old 06-30-20, 10:05 AM
lelenz

Bikes: Sirrus X-4

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wonder if anyone has any information on what % of bikes are not affected? I guess I will have to wait to get home to inspect the left crank in person. I got my X-4 beginning of June, Over 100 miles and no problems yet, but perhaps I have just been lucky. I hate to have the bike in shop for what will most likely be the whole month of July, Bummer
Old 06-30-20, 10:44 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by lelenz
I wonder if anyone has any information on what % of bikes are not affected? I guess I will have to wait to get home to inspect the left crank in person. I got my X-4 beginning of June, Over 100 miles and no problems yet, but perhaps I have just been lucky. I hate to have the bike in shop for what will most likely be the whole month of July, Bummer
Probably too early to tell. I expect that the update promised for this week (not holding my breath!) might list serial numbers. OTOH, this simply might be a blanket recall of the affected bikes: crankset is defective/has to be replaced.

I've been riding my '19 Sirrus X Comp carbon since June last year; not reassuring.
Likes For badger1:
Old 06-30-20, 11:08 AM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by lelenz
I have no info on percentages of bikes affected.
These images from Specialized website's recall notice show you the crank design subject to the recall.

Old 06-30-20, 11:30 AM
TigerG

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi,

I'm struggling to drag my sorry @ss uphill on my 2018 Expert Carbon, has anyone put an easier geared rear cassette on their bike ?? Although I went through all 46 pages on the forum, I couldn't find a definite answer ??

I would like to know if I could get away with a 11-36 without any major changes to the derailleurs ??

Cheers,
Graeme.
Old 06-30-20, 12:23 PM
Jagamov

Bikes: Specialized Roll Elite LTD, Sirrus X 5.0, Allez Elite

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerG
I would like to know if I could get away with a 11-36 without any major changes to the derailleurs ?? .
Looking at Shimano's website, it looks like 11-34t might be the max size.

Last edited by Jagamov; 06-30-20 at 12:26 PM. Reason: cant type
Old 06-30-20, 10:45 PM
Laseranimal

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Hi,

I'm struggling to drag my sorry @ss uphill on my 2018 Expert Carbon, has anyone put an easier geared rear cassette on their bike ?? Although I went through all 46 pages on the forum, I couldn't find a definite answer ??

I would like to know if I could get away with a 11-36 without any major changes to the derailleurs ??

Cheers,
Graeme.
Why not swap the front chainrings to something like 46/30 or lower?

Shimano GRX comes in 46/30 and 48/31 although with the 48/31 you might have to swap over the FD too as I'm not sure the wider gearing will work with the stock microshift FD

Last edited by Laseranimal; 06-30-20 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 06:40 AM
lelenz

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
well, I got the left crank in figure 3/4, now just to wait. I agree, doubt we hear this week with the holiday. Not a good way to start my relationship with Specialized, I'm sure they make it right, but they damn sure ought to fix with higher quality parts, just to compensate for loss of use of bike.
Old 07-01-20, 03:17 PM
TigerG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagamov
Looking at Shimano's website, it looks like 11-34t might be the max size.
Think I'd still struggle with that.....might be an idea to look into Lazeranimal's suggestion below and change the front ??

Originally Posted by Laseranimal
Why not swap the front chainrings to something like 46/30 or lower?

Shimano GRX comes in 46/30 and 48/31 although with the 48/31 you might have to swap over the FD too as I'm not sure the wider gearing will work with the stock microshift FD
Will look into that thanks, if a 34 turns out to be the max on the back

Oh to have a heart bigger than a pea, a couple of extra lungs, and some proper climbing legs !!
Old 07-01-20, 04:59 PM
Jagamov

Think I'd still struggle with that.....might be an idea to look into Lazeranimal's suggestion below and change the front ??
Will look into that thanks, if a 34 turns out to be the max on the back
Oh to have a heart bigger than a pea, a couple of extra lungs, and some proper climbing legs !!
100% look into the front chainring.

The issue with the rear is a physical one. The length of the derailleur cage will not clear the bigger 36t cog so you’ll never be able to shift to it. Hence the 34t limitation.
Old 07-01-20, 05:30 PM
jimmyodonnell

the specialized website is now updated with instructions to contact your retailer to schedule a fix on the crank recall.
so I took in my bike (along with the crank which had fallen off it) and the shop says oh it's supposed to have these bolts on it but specialized hasn't given instructions on what to do if the bolts aren't there
and I said well if the bolts were still there the ******g crank wouldn't have fallen off and we wouldn't be having this discussion
so they're keeping the bike there and estimate they'll have an update in a week but don't know if they'll have it fixed in a week
Old 07-01-20, 06:21 PM
Jagamov

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
so they're keeping the bike there and estimate they'll have an update in a week but don't know if they'll have it fixed in a week
Sorry to hear that. I’d be kinda pissed for sure. My Roll has seemingly the same Cranks/BB and it had no issues for the 3 months or so I rode it before I swapped them out (still original BB). Wonder how they messed that up on the Sirrus.

Still really surprised my shop just put a new Crank/BB on mine and avoided the fiasco. I consider myself lucky.

i really hope they get it fixed for you fast.
Old 07-01-20, 07:39 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
By the wording of that, I'm going to guess that a spacer was added that shouldn't have been there. This will cause the splines to not engage fully, and the left arm will fall off. Or the stopper plate is missing.
Old 07-01-20, 08:20 PM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As stated above, mine came off too. The BB spindle is splined all the way, so if the crank arm is on, the splines are engaged. However, it doesnt take much movement (outwards) before itll make a faint "click" with each revolution of the crank as it begins sliding off the spindle and moves each revolution under pedal pressure. If you hear this, stop and get it properly installed and torqued.

I dont know if the shop reinstalled the small shim/spacer on mine, or not...I'll have to look and see.

Regardless, I've checked the torque on mine before every ride recently, and after a couple of slight movements on the torque wrench initially, the most recent rides the bolts were still fully tight - no movement in the torque wrench.

I'm of the opinion that the bolts weren't properly torqued at OEM installation, and that the shim/spacer may or may not be needed.
Old 07-01-20, 08:40 PM
badger1

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
By the wording of that, I'm going to guess that a spacer was added that shouldn't have been there. This will cause the splines to not engage fully, and the left arm will fall off. Or the stopper plate is missing.
Correct. As I understand it, that (spacer installed that should not have been installed) is the issue.
Old 07-01-20, 09:55 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have a 19 Comp Carbon X that is of the type subject to the recall and I haven't had any crank issues in over a year of 50-mile/week riding. I just checked the two pinch bolts - one was tight, the other slightly loose. I torqued them and will continue riding, checking them before every ride until this is resolved. I doubt they'll work themselves loose during a single ride and if they do, I suspect I'll get some warning before it is a safety issue.

Haven't been contacted by either the LBS or Specialized about this yet.

- Mark
Old 07-02-20, 05:25 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Correct. As I understand it, that (spacer installed that should not have been installed) is the issue.
That's a little odd to me; a spacer is a quick visual check, IMO there is no need for all two piece cranks to turn their bikes in. To further confuse matters, their picture shows no spacer. Maybe some bikes need spacers and others don't, which is a different can of worms. Anyways, this sounds like a nightmare for all involved; I hope everyone gets satisfaction once the dust settles.

A pic of my nearest external BB (NOT A SIRRUS) with two spacers clearly visible for reference.

Old 07-02-20, 08:57 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
So just checked my girlfriends 2019 Carbon Comp Sirrus X that she purchsaed in April 2019. She has over 1700 miles on it. Crank is not loose at all. I also checked the two pinch bolts and they were tight as can be as well.
Old 07-02-20, 09:41 AM
lelenz

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just left my LBS, I will take my bike by this afternoon for the quick look see while I wait. said it should not take too long. I'll be sure to check to see if they remove a spacer. The LBS owner did say they have had a few cranks fall off. Mine seems to be tight and the bolts are tight, but I'll have them look at it anyway. Hopefully it fixes the issue for good.
Old 07-02-20, 09:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
I'm thinking Specialized doesn't really know how many bikes have been affected, so just went ahead and issued a blanket recall on all of them.
Old 07-02-20, 10:43 AM
TigerG

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jagamov
100% look into the front chainring.

The issue with the rear is a physical one. The length of the derailleur cage will not clear the bigger 36t cog so you’ll never be able to shift to it. Hence the 34t limitation.
Thanks.....will look into that 🙂. I sooooo miss the gearing on my old Crosstrail
Old 07-02-20, 10:54 AM
Jagamov

Well, I hit 10 posts. Time for a picture. My Sirrus X 5.0

Likes For Jagamov:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.