Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Elbow issues, need bike recommendations please

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 09:52 PM
davoice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I easily suffer from tennis/golf elbow. I need a road bike and I wonder if a flat bar would be a better bike for me.
- Does a flat bar offer less tension on elbows?
- Can a drop bar be adjusted so, it will lessen elbow tension? and would this be ok geometrically, meaning wont compromise any other body parts?

Basically, i will need this bike for leisure runs on pavents but, would like to take it for touring as well about 2-3 times year.
would also appreciate any recommendations for an 700-900 budget, maybe 1k.

thanks!
Old 06-30-20, 05:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Multiple hand positions with a drop bar so your odds of finding comfort are increased. Flat bar gives you only one position, you may like it or not.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-20, 07:53 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
You can put ends on the flat bars to supply different hand positions. I think you'll need to explore is the height of the bars. You may find that higher bars, regardless of type, put less stress on your elbow.
Old 06-30-20, 08:28 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
You can set the bar on a drop bar set up so the top is in the same position it would be on a flat bar bike, then you could have the best of both.

You shouldn't ride with your elbows locked or your arms straight. You should be able to ride with light pressure on the bar and your elbows relaxed. This requires core strength and isn't as easy when you get tired, but it's worth working on.

For some of us conventional fit doesn't work and we may have to spend time finding our position.
Old 06-30-20, 09:33 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Several years ago, as I was increasing my cycling mileage, I starting have pain in one of my elbows. I ended up going to my LBS for a complete bike fit. One of the adjustments was to swap out the stock (drop) handlebars with a narrower setup. That, and trying to keep mindful of not keeping my arms stiff while riding helped a lot.
Old 06-30-20, 11:12 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Less elbow tension is a matter of bike fit, getting the weight off your hands. Drop bar does offer more hand positions among them positions with more or less reach, which is good. Get a bike fit and emphasize to the fitter than you want less weight on your hands. I've found the most hand/arm comfort from more reach and lower bars.
Old 06-30-20, 12:47 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Recumbent?
Old 06-30-20, 04:18 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
One of the adjustments was to swap out the stock (drop) handlebars with a narrower setup.
Good point. Drop bars come in different widths and depths and different reaches, as well as different shapes. I've tried different bars , maybe six, on the last two road bikes I bought. Lucky for me my LBS let me try them.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-04-20, 10:19 AM
Bob S

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
the front stem can also be changed to raise or lower the bars or bring them closer to you or farther away. A good bicycle fitter can help with these issues
Old 07-04-20, 01:16 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Elbow pain often comes from keeping your arms straight. If that's what you're doing, try out keeping your elbows bent. Too much weight on your hands could also cause elbow pain. That usually comes from a weak core,
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-04-20, 01:33 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Elbow pain often comes from keeping your arms straight. If that's what you're doing, try out keeping your elbows bent. Too much weight on your hands could also cause elbow pain. That usually comes from a weak core,
This is what experts all over the place keep saying over and over again.
Old 07-04-20, 06:51 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I also wonder if too much forearm tension/tight grip pressure on the grips can be an issue. I have flat bar and noticed elbow pain when I started but definitely worked on bent elbows, less weight on my arms and not gripping tight. And the issue has resolved.

But I think Ill get some bar ends eventually. Be ideal to switch hand positions. I have been switching it up by placing my fists, pinkie side down on the bars on some flats/uphill to switch it up in The meantime.