Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Simple "uglify" your bike project

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Simple "uglify" your bike project

Old 07-08-20, 03:24 AM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
No it won't. I rode in the same conditions and as long as you get good black tape, it will be fine. In fact, the black tape on my motorcycles, near the engine, holds up just fine, and it i hotter near the engine than your bike will ever get in the heat of the day. If you can find 3M electrical tape, it is probably the best.

Sorry I think your bike still looks basically the same. It does. That isn't to diminish the idea behind what you did, it is just you didn't go far enough, and the bike still looks new, just slightly dirty. It is a good technique if you go far enough. You don't have to spend your time trying to convince me, you won't, I saw the picture. I just don't think what you did to the bike did anything to diminish its potential value to a thief.
I think it might work better with layers of brown and orange paint to make it look like rust! Let me see if I can find left overs in the house!
Old 07-08-20, 03:42 AM
cubewheels

Okay... I am very aware of the conditions in Manila. I have been there, have many friends there, and I actually like the city, though I prefer Cebu. Now, once again, no one has said anything negative about Manila, and no one became, "an ugly American."

Your reasons to do what you did to your bike are very valid, people all over the world do the same thing. People in New York do it. People in Miami do it. People in small towns do it. The only thing anyone here has said, is that your bike doesn't look enough different from the way it did, to deter anyone from stealing it. It still looks basically the same.
Never liked the city. The locals, even the police are quite hospitable, friendly, and trusting of foreigners like you! But among each other, people and police are only nice if you look like a rich or middle class person.

Sadly, that attitude also applies to the road. If you look like a poor rider or a motorist driving an old beater car, you'll get bullied on the road, unless you have blonde hair and over 6 ft tall! So this "uglify" project might make my life worse on the road. Although I try to wear nice looking clothes and wash them clean after every ride, regularly clean my helmet too. So I don't look like a poor rider!

The love of money is like a cancer to society. Once taking root, death is the only cure. It's what ruined my country don't let it happen to yours!
Old 07-08-20, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked 2,877 Times in 1,643 Posts
How is anyone being an "ugly American?" Personally I take offense to that, and I've been to Manila as well, and it is actually a very big, bustling city. I have many friends there as well. I guess my question is, what does any of that have to do with the opinion that the way the OP "aged" his bike, made no appreciable difference? I think the basic method he used could be used to make a bike look old, but he missed his mark. There is not a big enough difference to make it usefull. Now, one could certainly use paint to "age" a bike, and many use that technique on models to age them, but t the OP's bike still looks basically the same as it did. It just looks slightly dirty. I would go further with the effect if I were doing it.
I don't think the "ugly American" comment was directed at you. You're taking the op seriously and giving a reasonable opinion on why you don't think this effort succeeded, that's actually potentially helpful.

What's not helpful is calling the guy a troll, a sock, and accusing him of joking because God forbid anyone would have a reason for wanting their bike to be funny looking and ugly.. There's a real "ugly American" theme there-- he's got concerns that aren't the same as mine, therefore he must be full of it. People should knock that off. Again, you have not done that at all, but a bunch of posts in this thread do.

I'm learning a lot about bicycling in op's context from his posts, if people aren't interested in that or can't realize that cultural context is important, how about they just skip the thread rather than insulting op and his admittedly weird-looking bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-08-20, 05:29 AM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 672 Posts
I'd be interested in learning the "cultural context" of riding a child's bike with a pillow on the saddle
Old 07-08-20, 06:04 AM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
I'd be interested in learning the "cultural context" of riding a child's bike with a pillow on the saddle

OP has addressed that in several threads. Maybe actually read it before you respond? You have to deal with soldiers stopping you, anticipate gang reactions, deal with overt class discrimination, and worry about rampant theft? It's an interesting coping strategy in those conditions, maybe try to understand it before you make fun of it?

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-08-20 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-08-20, 06:13 AM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Whatever
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-08-20, 09:33 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 178 Posts
Think I'd rather do something like Ryan Van Duzer did. If you don't want to watch the whole vid start at about 35 sec.

Old 07-08-20, 09:56 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I don't think the "ugly American" comment was directed at you. You're taking the op seriously and giving a reasonable opinion on why you don't think this effort succeeded, that's actually potentially helpful.

What's not helpful is calling the guy a troll, a sock, and accusing him of joking because God forbid anyone would have a reason for wanting their bike to be funny looking and ugly.. There's a real "ugly American" theme there-- he's got concerns that aren't the same as mine, therefore he must be full of it. People should knock that off. Again, you have not done that at all, but a bunch of posts in this thread do.

I'm learning a lot about bicycling in op's context from his posts, if people aren't interested in that or can't realize that cultural context is important, how about they just skip the thread rather than insulting op and his admittedly weird-looking bike.
Thanks. Yes, I know the, " ugly American" comment wasn't directed at me. What I took issue with, was the comment being made at all, to anyone. THe comment was made before anyone knew where the OP lived. For all I knew, the OP lived in Illinois, or Iowa. The comment has no place int his thread, and served no purpose. The comments made by some were not helpful, but to automatically call them out as being in some way racist is ridiculous, and in fact, the only racist, or perhaps nationalist, comment made, was the comment about ugly Americans. Once again, it has no place here. BTW my wife is not "American," and is from Asia.

Yes, I agree, the technique has merit, and is very creative. I just think the OP did not make the bike look old enough. That being said, it is his bike, and if he is happy with the results, that is all that counts. I think the technique could be used to really age a bike, and camouflage it. I like the idea a lot.

So my thought is, let's stay on topic, and leave the race baiting out of it. We are all bicyclists, and people.
Old 07-08-20, 10:07 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor, 70's vintage Schwinn Continental and Suburban

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 112 Posts
BTW WTF is a sock?

As in spunk sock?

Yeah, enjoy your life.

It has been 40 years since I was in Manila. Maybe things have changed, hopefully for the better. Cubewheels doesn't need me to stick up for him, he seems to know who he is. From the posts I have read he is guy who uses his bike for basic transport and is rightly proud of it.

As for ugly American, not everyone in the world has the same experiences as us in the US. The guy who suggested the Brompton did so with good intent and in a helpful manner, but I got the impression he had no idea the OP was in Manila. This means he had no idea what a $2k+ USD bike means in term of average yearly income or threat of carjacking.

All I really wanted you trolls to do is go back and read some of his posts. Seems like cubewheels has the right attitude.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-08-20, 10:42 AM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
BTW WTF is a sock?

As in spunk sock?

Yeah, enjoy your life.

It has been 40 years since I was in Manila. Maybe things have changed, hopefully for the better. Cubewheels doesn't need me to stick up for him, he seems to know who he is. From the posts I have read he is guy who uses his bike for basic transport and is rightly proud of it.

As for ugly American, not everyone in the world has the same experiences as us in the US. The guy who suggested the Brompton did so with good intent and in a helpful manner, but I got the impression he had no idea the OP was in Manila. This means he had no idea what a $2k+ USD bike means in term of average yearly income or threat of carjacking.

All I really wanted you trolls to do is go back and read some of his posts. Seems like cubewheels has the right attitude.
Manila is actually a little nicer 40 years ago. The people are a lot nicer to each other but the country is under a terrible dictatorship at that time and the army was outright evil. You'll never see the bad side of the Philippines unless you come here with brown or dark skin tone, black eyes, looking like a poor person, and speaking our language. Most foreigners are automatically seen as rich and given much respect and hospitality. But no respect for us "little people".

Yeah, Brompton can be a nice option. You don't even need to lock it outside because you can bring it inside with you when you shop for groceries or go to work!

But you're right, it's far too expensive for me and bike robber gangs can still take it from you at gunpoint or make up something elaborate to get you to leave your bike (as how one of my bikes was stolen). Worse, a corrupt cop will pull you over and make up something to take it from you. So not an option!

I do really like my bike! The small wheels, makes it possible to have the bar quite low which places me in a good aerodynamic position. The bars are also much narrower than adult size MTBs, further improving aerodynamics and enabling me to easy navigate the very tight traffic of Manila! The frame in addition is quite low to the ground, the lowest it can possible go with 150 mm crank.

MOst of the time, I will out-coast riders on adult-size MTBs over tarmac. If I'm using road tires, I could out-coast hybrids too and even possibly some road bikes.

Last edited by cubewheels; 07-08-20 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-08-20, 11:11 AM
cubewheels

Update: I was able to make a paint mixture that approximates the orange tint of rust. I've already diluted it with kerosene and able to give a nice matte finish. Tomorrow, I'll show how good or how bad I did with it!
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-08-20, 11:15 AM
cubewheels

Thanks. Yes, I know the, " ugly American" comment wasn't directed at me. What I took issue with, was the comment being made at all, to anyone. THe comment was made before anyone knew where the OP lived. For all I knew, the OP lived in Illinois, or Iowa. The comment has no place int his thread, and served no purpose. The comments made by some were not helpful, but to automatically call them out as being in some way racist is ridiculous, and in fact, the only racist, or perhaps nationalist, comment made, was the comment about ugly Americans. Once again, it has no place here. BTW my wife is not "American," and is from Asia.

Yes, I agree, the technique has merit, and is very creative. I just think the OP did not make the bike look old enough. That being said, it is his bike, and if he is happy with the results, that is all that counts. I think the technique could be used to really age a bike, and camouflage it. I like the idea a lot.

So my thought is, let's stay on topic, and leave the race baiting out of it. We are all bicyclists, and people.
I'm still after improvement. I'll give it shot tomorrow with rust-orange paint mixture I made. I already made an attempt but it seems, the rust application may work better with increased % of paint in the mixture (and less % kerosene).
Likes For cubewheels:
Old 07-08-20, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 800 Posts
Still get really secure locks. like U locks & hardened chains not cables.. I see just a coiled cable lock..
Old 07-08-20, 12:53 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post
I'm still after improvement. I'll give it shot tomorrow with rust-orange paint mixture I made. I already made an attempt but it seems, the rust application may work better with increased % of paint in the mixture (and less % kerosene).
If you do more, post pictures. Of course only do it if you want to. It's a great idea. Very creative.
Old 07-08-20, 01:01 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
BTW WTF is a sock?

As in spunk sock?

Yeah, enjoy your life.

Once again, no one mentioned location until you did. Your comment was uncalled for. As for the trolls, yes, they were rude. Call them out for that without reading into their comment. There was absolutely zero mention of his location, and his location isn't shown on the upper left in his profile as shown on his post. In other words, you may have known where he was from, but I didn't, nor did anyone else most likely. People trolled him just as they would troll anyone else. Your comment about ugly Americans was the only comment that was distasteful in regards to location or racial stereotypes, and was uncalled for.
Old 07-08-20, 02:01 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Yep, don't know anything about location, real or alleged. No problem, trolls, socks, whatever or wherever, gone to the ignore list!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-08-20, 03:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11706 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,887 Posts
Yep, don't know anything about location, real or alleged. No problem, trolls, socks, whatever or wherever, gone to the ignore list!
Updating my list by a pair, if you catch my drift.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-08-20, 03:25 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

Old 07-08-20, 04:45 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Don't think "ugly American" is race baiting , rather it's a reference to an ugly attitude towards other cultures that may or may not have been at play here. I did go back and see that OP didn't mention where he was from in this thread, I had remembered it from another thread and it blurred in my mind, so yeah maybe going right to it was a mistake.

I still find this "find the troll" crap (which you haven't engaged in) to be really obnoxious, and a lot of times it really boils down to class or cultural snobbery --disbelief that there's people who live/ride "like that".

OP mentioned in his first post on this thread that he was dealing with riding around street gangs. That should have been enough for people to realize he's dealing with stuff beyond the experiences of most of the people who post here.

OP doesn't need me to "defend" him. In another thread, he described what he has to go through just to get an hour's ride. I suspect he's a lot tougher than the keyboard patrol guys posting here.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-08-20, 04:49 PM
phughes

Don't think "ugly American" is race baiting , rather it's a reference to an ugly attitude towards other cultures that may or may not have been at play here. I did go back and see that OP didn't mention where he was from in this thread, I had remembered it from another thread and it blurred in my mind, so yeah maybe going right to it was a mistake.

I still find this "find the troll" crap (which you haven't engaged in) to be really obnoxious, and a lot of times it really boils down to class or cultural snobbery --disbelief that there's people who live/ride "like that".

OP mentioned in his first post on this thread that he was dealing with riding around street gangs. That should have been enough for people to realize he's dealing with stuff beyond the experiences of most of the people who post here.

OP doesn't need me to "defend" him. In another thread, he described what he has to go through just to get an hour's ride. I suspect he's a lot tougher than the keyboard patrol guys posting here.
Yeah, I think that is part of why I even mentioned anything about the comment. The OP doesn't need someone else to defend him. Doing so seems a bit condescending.
Old 07-08-20, 04:50 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Updating my list by a pair, if you catch my drift.

Believe it or not, you guys aren't the cool kids table.
Old 07-08-20, 05:00 PM
livedarklions
I'm cross-chained

Yeah, I think that is part of why I even mentioned anything about the comment. The OP doesn't need someone else to defend him. Doing so seems a bit condescending.

​​​​​​I just want him to keep posting. People from different parts of the world posting about how and what they ride is what general cycling should be about.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-08-20, 05:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11706 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,887 Posts
Believe it or not, you guys aren't the cool kids table.
Iím heartbroken to learn this.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-08-20 at 05:13 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-08-20, 05:14 PM
shelbyfv
Banned.

I'm not surprised. Nobody thinks cyclists are cool except cyclists.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-08-20, 05:20 PM
phughes

​​​​​​I just want him to keep posting. People from different parts of the world posting about how and what they ride is what general cycling should be about.
I agree completely, and the technique he is using on his bike is creative. I like that.
Likes For phughes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.