Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ok...I've had it with the squeaks

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-08-20, 02:54 PM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts

I have used Look pedals since the mid 80's and have always liked them. However, recently I have had an issue with cleat squeak. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work for more than about a week. My current set up is the Look Keo Blades with the grey cleats. The squeak is not the pedal but the cleat/pedal interface. I'm tired of messing with Looks and want to see the next best option in a high end road pedal that does not squeak. I know everyone has their own opinions but I want to see if there is an option I may not have considered as I'm currently leaning towards an Ultegra pedal. Thanks.
Old 07-08-20, 03:02 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up
I have used Look pedals since the mid 80's and have always liked them. However, recently I have had an issue with cleat squeak. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work for more than about a week. My current set up is the Look Keo Blades with the grey cleats. The squeak is not the pedal but the cleat/pedal interface. I'm tired of messing with Looks and want to see the next best option in a high end road pedal that does not squeak. I know everyone has their own opinions but I want to see if there is an option I may not have considered as I'm currently leaning towards an Ultegra pedal. Thanks.
I used to spray silcone on Keo Carbon Blades to stop the squeak. It works for a few hundred miles, and it takes only a couple of seconds.

Nothing wrong with SPD-SL pedals though. They are also a little better balanced, and therefore easier to enter.
Old 07-08-20, 03:11 PM
washed up

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I used to spray silcone on Keo Carbon Blades to stop the squeak. It works for a few hundred miles, and it takes only a couple of seconds.

Nothing wrong with SPD-SL pedals though. They are also a little better balanced, and therefore easier to enter.
I've tried many other lubes but not a spray silicone. Might pick up a can and give it a try. thanks
Likes For washed up:
Old 07-08-20, 03:26 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Take a crayon or candle and rub on the pedal where cleat touches it. That’s the front, bottom, and back cleat contact points. Should solve the squeak.
Old 07-08-20, 04:12 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up
I rode Time pedals for several years and had the same creak problems. I came to think it was the blade spring when it got dust on it. I love my Ultegra R8000 pedals!
Old 07-08-20, 04:29 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I would second the silicone spray. I have never had squeaking problems with my Speedplay Zeros but I've used the spray about twice a year to make things easier.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 07-08-20, 05:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah. I spent all of my time on Looks until that squeak pushed me away. Then spent like a decade on Speedplay. Then decided to go back to a delta style cleat for ease.....and went to SPD SL. Have never looked back. They really are one of the most superior pedal platforms for road that has ever existed. They licensed from Look and then actually did the engineering to make them amazing. Honestly just switch to SPD SLs. You'll love it and the pedal an interface will be just as intuitive as Look has been for you.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-08-20, 06:48 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
you may not be looking for new pedals but i'll offer up plain old SPDs. have had them on my ride for 13ish years, never lubed them, always easy in/out, and silent. oh, and also don't walk like a duck when off the bike.
Old 07-08-20, 07:05 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yeah. I spent all of my time on Looks until that squeak pushed me away. Then spent like a decade on Speedplay. Then decided to go back to a delta style cleat for ease.....and went to SPD SL. Have never looked back. They really are one of the most superior pedal platforms for road that has ever existed. They licensed from Look and then actually did the engineering to make them amazing. Honestly just switch to SPD SLs. You'll love it and the pedal an interface will be just as intuitive as Look has been for you.
Agreed.

This is the reason I'm hesitant to give Assiomas a try.
Old 07-08-20, 07:26 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Keos aren't bad pedals, but you are right about SPD-SL pedals. Shimano pedals are better(easier to engage), and the cleats are better for walking in. Keo grip-tec cleats work, but Shimano cleats last much longer.
Old 07-09-20, 11:30 AM
washed up

Thanks for all the input. I just picked up a can of silicon to try. If this doesn't do the trick and I don't need to apply for every ride I may keep the pedals. I feel that spending $200 plus for a pedal system should not require daily lube.
Old 07-10-20, 02:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use candle wax on the friction surfaces on my Look Delta and Shimano SPD-SL pedals and cleats. Just scuff the wax around, like using a crayon. Doesn't pick up grit. Lasts about a month before I need to reapply.
Old 07-10-20, 06:14 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Yes candle wax or bar soap on the cleat, the tip and rear part. I have not used Look in 20 years but that was what I use to do. I got fed up with them and cleat wear. At $15 each, over the years, I paid for my Speedplay's with Look cleat replacement.