Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How many spokes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How many spokes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 12:28 AM
bike-izle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many spokes?

I'm about to build another wheel set, and I was wondering if anybody has a method for determining spoke count considering rider weight, intended use, etc.

I've always ridden 32-spoke wheels and have never damaged any. I'm 170-ish pounds and ride mostly smooth roads with occasional pot holes and train tracks. Seems like I could go with less spokes, but not sure how low.

My new wheels will be for a fixed gear bike. Mostly street/commuting but with some occasional track use.

Any ideas?
Old 07-09-20, 01:01 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I weigh more than you and have ridden 20/24 wheelsets with no problems. I've also ridden 32/32 wheels and have them gone out of true. So it depends on the build and whether you ride with load/cargo.
Old 07-09-20, 04:11 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I'm 74kg and have ridden 32 and 24 spoke wheels without issues. Curiously, the only wheels that went out of true were 32 spokes.

I carried my son on a child seat with my mountain bike that had a 24 spoke wheelset and one day, as he gained weight (now he's 17kg), it started to creak alarmingly. I started carrying him in another bike with 32 spoke wheels and had no more issues.
Old 07-09-20, 06:28 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I've ridden reduced spoke count wheels, some radial, successfully and happily, but those have all been bargain or salvaged wheels. If I were going to build another set (I'm an amateur), I'd go with 32.
Old 07-09-20, 06:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
What benefit do you hope to gain with a lower spoke count? The advantage of low spoke counts is primarily aerodynamic, and the degree of benefit increases with higher average speed. If you're a casual rider for whom high speed is not a concern, a 32 or even 36 spoke wheel can be both lighter and more durable than a low spoke count wheel.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-09-20, 07:37 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Going to higher spoke count raises the amount of weight you have to get spinning. Acceleration will be affected. The inverse is also true. I say this from experience, I had a wheel fail when climbing a hill, went to higher spoke count.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 07-09-20, 07:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by SammyJ
Going to higher spoke count raises the amount of weight you have to get spinning. Acceleration will be affected. The inverse is also true. I say this from experience, I had a wheel fail when climbing a hill, went to higher spoke count.
If you are using the same components and doing an apples-to-apples comparison, the weight gain in going from a 20 spoke wheel to a 32 spoke wheel is 72g or 2.5 ounces. That's a fairly negligible weight difference. Low spoke count wheels also aren't automatically lighter than a higher spoke count wheel. It depends on the components. I built a 32 spoke wheel with Pillar triple butted spokes, Velocity A23 rims, and a White Industries T1 hub with titanium freehub to replace a set of Veulta Corsa. I lost 2 lbs (of rotating weight) in the bargain and gained about 50% strength in the wheel by using the heavier gauge spokes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-09-20, 08:23 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Build quality pretty much trumps spoke count in determining wheel durability. The only broken spokes I ever had were with a pair of 36 spoke OEM wheels that came on an '85 Bridgestone 400 which began breaking spokes at about 8500 miles. I replaced them with higher quality 32 spoke wheels that used DT spokes and, since then, have never had a spoke break even on wheels with 50,000+ miles. Any failures have been from rims wearing out at the brake tracks. I currently have a pair of 16 spoke front, 20 spoke rear Shimano factory wheels with 27,000 miles on one bike and they are still in perfect shape.
Old 07-09-20, 08:51 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by bike-izle
I'm about to build another wheel set, and I was wondering if anybody has a method for determining spoke count considering rider weight, intended use, etc.

I've always ridden 32-spoke wheels and have never damaged any. I'm 170-ish pounds and ride mostly smooth roads with occasional pot holes and train tracks. Seems like I could go with less spokes, but not sure how low.

My new wheels will be for a fixed gear bike. Mostly street/commuting but with some occasional track use.

Any ideas?
I'd go with a good solid 32 spoke wheel set - at your weight, a well-built 32 3x should be bombproof. The thing about a fixed-gear is that the need to keep pedaling means that you don't get to "unweight" while traversing rough surface as easily as you can on a standard bike - sometime you just have to "plough on through" with your butt on the saddle. Better an overbuilt wheel set under such circumstances.
Old 07-09-20, 09:14 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What benefit do you hope to gain with a lower spoke count? The advantage of low spoke counts is primarily aerodynamic, and the degree of benefit increases with higher average speed. If you're a casual rider for whom high speed is not a concern, a 32 or even 36 spoke wheel can be both lighter and more durable than a low spoke count wheel.
Always the voice of experience and reason.

And.. I was of same ilk back (even 48H rear) when... until I tried reduced wheelset weights for speed... after making my shadow a mite smaller.

My main sets today are 20/24's at 1300 grams range.. -->16/8--> 2:1 rear. A waste of bandwidth here attempting to explain all the benefits of 2:1 rears.. goggle it.

Wheel building skills are the main determinant of durability.. that and a good choice of components.. which do NOT have to be expensive. Think from memory mine ran 260 ish.. couple yrs ago.

DID run.. 18H w 12-6 rear.. held fine for my 195 lbs... young fella in s Tx wanted them.. made a few to buy some tires.. . Do have a new set of these around here.......... that are available for a new home. 1395ish grams. Kinlin XR 300's w Powerway lite weight hubs. Sapim butted Force spokes.

Old 07-09-20, 09:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Loaded cross country cyclist should always go for the 36 count wheels.
Old 07-09-20, 09:47 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Originally Posted by rydabent
What.. does CCC weigh? 120 lbs loaded? ... 275+ loaded? The lightweight likely female rider is wasting energy moving 36's. Some of the fatter
riders need more than 36 rear.. if their running weak left sided wheel builds. H count is not the whole story.. by miles.
Old 07-09-20, 10:02 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I wish there were an equation or some guidance for this that we could use as amateurs. Threads like this are frustrating. We had a good one in the tandem forum a few months ago, one person advocated 36 hole heavy duty alloy rims with triple butted spokes while another advocated deep section carbon rims with 20 heavy duty single butted spokes. I don’t doubt that both wheels were very strong but they were very different in style.
Old 07-09-20, 11:13 AM
Aladin

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
20 heavy duty single butted spokes.
On a tandem that's nonsense.. ridiculous. Break one.. your mostly likely in trouble w wheel rub. Tandem usually means 300 lbs minimum.. and said front in this application gets some load also. And rear tandem width means mostly equalized tension side to side rear.. so 36H is often enough. Heavy tandems need 48's rear.

Then breaking stresses.. dis often. Limits drillings for 2 rider bikes.
Old 07-09-20, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When I built wheels for my touring bike in the 80s I built with 48 rear, 40 front it all worked out fine,

But if I damaged the wheel shops would not have any spare parts..

now that I have spent time ib some more shops. 36 would mean easier to find a similar wheel along the way..

OP is in to the fixie thing , 'some track' a track bike on a banked track is subjected to significant lateral forces so may need a stronger wheel ,

than just on the street JRA , & wanting to be lookin' good..

Old 07-09-20, 11:50 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bike-izle
32. You can break one and straighten the wheel enough to keep riding, such wheels have sufficient lateral stiffness for Clydestales, and that drilling is most available.

Each spoke weighs about 6g plus 1g for the nipple.

Switching to 24/16 will save you 144g making you 0.16% faster up the steepest hills.

On a one hour climb, the time you lose to thinner cyclists will shrink by six seconds.
Old 07-09-20, 12:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
on a fixie?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-09-20, 12:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you like 32h then build 32h and be done with it. Wheel arguments will outlast any wheel you build.

John
Old 07-09-20, 01:13 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Lower spoke count wheels are a boon to big manufacturers and some light weight racers. For the companies the bean counters are happy with the savings.
For a wheel that will last long enough to need rim replacement and have no problems 36 spokes is the way to go.
Old 07-10-20, 06:21 PM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
What benefit do you hope to gain with a lower spoke count? The advantage of low spoke counts is primarily aerodynamic, and the degree of benefit increases with higher average speed.
This. Spoke count is largely driven by aerodynamics. If your fixed gear isn’t being built as a go-fast bike, it doesn’t matter too much.

32 spokes laced 3 cross used to be insurance against poor component quality. Modern spokes and rims are much better than they used to be: you can build a very strong, very durable wheel set with 28 spokes and you might have a better selection of hubs to choose from. You’ll very rarely break a spoke on a well-built wheel now.

Coincidentally, my track bike (Japanese steel, standard gauge tubing) has 32 spoke, 3 cross wheels because I like the aesthetics.
Old 07-10-20, 07:31 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This advice bears absolutely no relevance for the OP's question.
Old 07-11-20, 04:28 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I weigh more than you and have ridden 20/24 wheelsets with no problems. I've also ridden 32/32 wheels and have them gone out of true. So it depends on the build and whether you ride with load/cargo.
I guess I'm the builder (I like to think I'm pretty good LOL) and I never ride with more than a backpack with some lunch and a jacket inside. For reference, I built up 32-spoke Velocity A23 wheels six years ago, and I trued them for the first time a couple months ago (they weren't significantly out of true).
Old 07-11-20, 04:33 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just the fact that if I have "overbuilt" wheels, I'd like to have only what I need. Just the way my mind works, I guess. Also, to my eye, less spokes = looks better.
Old 07-11-20, 04:35 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Build quality pretty much trumps spoke count in determining wheel durability. The only broken spokes I ever had were with a pair of 36 spoke OEM wheels that came on an '85 Bridgestone 400 which began breaking spokes at about 8500 miles. I replaced them with higher quality 32 spoke wheels that used DT spokes and, since then, have never had a spoke break even on wheels with 50,000+ miles. Any failures have been from rims wearing out at the brake tracks. I currently have a pair of 16 spoke front, 20 spoke rear Shimano factory wheels with 27,000 miles on one bike and they are still in perfect shape.
Yeah, that what my intuition tells me. Build (and component) quality seem to make a huge difference.
Old 07-11-20, 04:40 PM
bike-izle

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I wish there were an equation or some guidance for this that we could use as amateurs. Threads like this are frustrating. We had a good one in the tandem forum a few months ago, one person advocated 36 hole heavy duty alloy rims with triple butted spokes while another advocated deep section carbon rims with 20 heavy duty single butted spokes. I don’t doubt that both wheels were very strong but they were very different in style.
Yeah, I've looked around for a "formula." No dice. Even asked some online wheel builders. The most I've ever gotten back was, "Talk to a competent wheel builder in your area."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.