Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Touring Saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Touring Saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 04:59 AM
jblackmd

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Supercourse TT, 1997 Specialized Rockhopper FS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Best Touring Saddle?

I ride a Raleigh Supercourse with a B17 saddle. I switched the handlebars to flat so my posture is more upright now. My butt starts to hurt after about an hour, and I'm thinking of changing the saddle. I'm looking for a saddle that I can sit on all day long. The Brooks Flyer Special looks promising. Thoughts?
Old 07-09-20, 05:30 AM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I used to really like Brooks saddles, but as I got older they didn't work well for me. Numbness, shall we say.

Switched to a Spongy Wonder about 5 years ago and have not had a problem since. Very comfortable.
Old 07-09-20, 05:31 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
Have you spent enough time in the Brooks to break it in? I have one bike that my Brooks feels fine with and another that I would need a set back seat post to get a good fit. I would make sure I knew why the Brooks hurts before giving up on it.
Old 07-09-20, 05:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18399 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Saddles are quite personal. There is no "best" touring saddle other than the one that works best for you, which is likely going to be the worst saddle for others.

I tour on a Terry Liberator.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-09-20, 05:35 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Have you spent enough time in the Brooks to break it in? I have one bike that my Brooks feels fine with and another that I would need a set back seat post to get a good fit. I would make sure I knew why the Brooks hurts before giving up on it.
It's a really old saddle. It came with the bike! Now, I was thinking that a set back seat post might help. It's back as far as it will go, and sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on the rivets. Where would I find a set back seat post that would fit my bike?
Old 07-09-20, 05:42 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Have a look at the Gyes Saddles.The have a bigger range than Brooks, are cheaper and the quality is excellent. Something like the GS-09 or GS-21 are wider than the B17 or Flyer. I have a GS-21 and it's pretty good with an upright seating position.
Old 07-09-20, 05:49 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Fabric, that is the brand, in my opinion, makes the best saddles, whether your body agrees is up to it.

The design is clever, durability is outstanding and the value can’t be beat.
Old 07-09-20, 06:58 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I have fabric saddles on two different bikes. Very nice, really fits me well. Absolutely love them. Only issue is mine have started to creak a bit.

Another options is Velo Orange. Just bought one of their smooth touring saddles. It is shaped like a Brooks but no rivets so larger overall seating area

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ng-saddle-wide

They have a microfiber one that sticks to your shorts like tape, but I like the smooth one above better since I tend to move around a lot.
Old 07-09-20, 07:41 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I have fabric saddles on two different bikes. Very nice, really fits me well. Absolutely love them. Only issue is mine have started to creak a bit.

Another options is Velo Orange. Just bought one of their smooth touring saddles. It is shaped like a Brooks but no rivets so larger overall seating area

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ng-saddle-wide

They have a microfiber one that sticks to your shorts like tape, but I like the smooth one above better since I tend to move around a lot.
After taking in the comments, I think the first thing to do is see how my saddle feels on a setback post, so I'm going to try that first. Many thanks guys!
Old 07-09-20, 08:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by jblackmd
After taking in the comments, I think the first thing to do is see how my saddle feels on a setback post, so I'm going to try that first. Many thanks guys!
But that will just move the saddle back 20mm. If your saddle is in the proper position right now for your legs and knees to feel good, then moving it back 20mm isnt ideal since it will throw off your fit for your legs(the one thing that is moving a lot).

Regardless of what you try- there isnt a magical best touring saddle. And the more upright you ride, the wider the saddle should be since you place more weight on a wider area when you are upright. The B17 is already a wide saddle for road bikes. Next up is a cruiser style saddle that looks like a slightly smaller tractor seat.
Old 07-09-20, 09:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
It's a really old saddle. It came with the bike! Now, I was thinking that a set back seat post might help. It's back as far as it will go, and sometimes I feel like I'm sitting on the rivets.
Thinking out loud here. There's going to be some change in sit bone geometry between riding in the drops and on a flat bar -- the rider's pelvis is going to rotate backward. It seems plausible the old, broken-in B-17 is going to have dimples in the wrong places for the flat bar.
Old 07-09-20, 09:55 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
But that will just move the saddle back 20mm. If your saddle is in the proper position right now for your legs and knees to feel good, then moving it back 20mm isnt ideal since it will throw off your fit for your legs(the one thing that is moving a lot).

Regardless of what you try- there isnt a magical best touring saddle. And the more upright you ride, the wider the saddle should be since you place more weight on a wider area when you are upright. The B17 is already a wide saddle for road bikes. Next up is a cruiser style saddle that looks like a slightly smaller tractor seat.
Well yeah. My legs and knees do feel good, but many times I'm finding that I'm sitting on the rivets. It just seems that if I can move it back an inch it would feel a lot better.
Old 07-09-20, 09:57 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Thinking out loud here. There's going to be some change in sit bone geometry between riding in the drops and on a flat bar -- the rider's pelvis is going to rotate backward. It seems plausible the old, broken-in B-17 is going to have dimples in the wrong places for the flat bar.
That seems to be the case. It is a broken in saddle, and it feels like everything should line up if I could just slide it back a bit more.
Old 07-09-20, 10:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Well yeah. My legs and knees do feel good, but many times I'm finding that I'm sitting on the rivets. It just seems that if I can move it back an inch it would feel a lot better.
Oh, well if you then sit in the same effective position, then sure it could work to use an offset seatpost.
..the rails of your saddle allow for some saddle adjustment too, if you havent already done that(b17 is notorious for an absurdly small amount of available adjustment).
Old 07-09-20, 10:12 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Oh, well if you then sit in the same effective position, then sure it could work to use an offset seatpost.
..the rails of your saddle allow for some saddle adjustment too, if you havent already done that(b17 is notorious for an absurdly small amount of available adjustment).
Yeah, it's back as far as it will go. I even tried to coax it back a bit more with a mallet.I ordered the offset stem, and then I'll reassess it.
Old 07-09-20, 10:30 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I hate to say this, but if you're sitting upright, no saddle may be comfortable. The first thing you should do is get a bike fit. You should be balanced on the bike on the three touchpoints and if you're not, your saddle is going to be uncomfortable.
Old 07-09-20, 10:31 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by Sojodave
I hate to say this, but if you're sitting upright, no saddle may be comfortable. The first thing you should do is get a bike fit. You should be balanced on the bike on the three touchpoints and if you're not, your saddle is going to be uncomfortable.
I actually had it fitted a couple of weeks ago. It's better than it was but long rides are still tough.
Old 07-09-20, 04:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gilles Berthoud https://berthoudcycles.fr/en/67-saddles no guarantee your arse will approve it..
Old 07-09-20, 09:00 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I disagree. FOR ME, I find that with a B-17, I'm more comfortable sitting mostly upright. I'm more comfortable sitting ON the saddle and not leaning against it in a more prone position like on my road bikes.

Certainly, others may disagree, but as Indyfabz said above, saddles are personal so there is no universal "best". It's what's best for each individual.
Old 07-09-20, 10:42 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
I find I really need a setback post with my current bike and B17. With that, it’s great!
Old 07-10-20, 04:38 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've always positioned saddles to line the knees up properly.

maybe you need a longer stem?
Old 07-10-20, 06:43 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Wilderness trail bikes saddles
Old 07-10-20, 07:44 AM
jblackmd

Originally Posted by gorillimo
I find I really need a setback post with my current bike and B17. With that, it’s great!
I ordered one. They really should make it so the saddle slides back just a bit more.