Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help

Old 07-08-20, 03:50 PM
AdamCh

Bikes: Unidentified Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Help

Howdy, I'd like to touch up these scratches but I can't afford to have the frame resprayed. Is there a way of finding the right colour paint to touch them up considering the age of the bike? Would it be better to try to find some paint which is similar or could I try to mix colours to get a match. Any advice welcome.
Old 07-08-20, 03:55 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Nail polish comes in a bewildering assortment of colors and might be a good choice. Use a light touch and a fine-tipped brush so that you do not make the touched-up areas more obvious. Like in grade school, stay inside the lines!
Old 07-08-20, 04:04 PM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Nail polish comes in a bewildering assortment of colors and might be a good choice. Use a light touch and a fine-tipped brush so that you do not make the touched-up areas more obvious. Like in grade school, stay inside the lines!
Thanks very much, that will be a lot cheaper than having the frame resprayed. I can also have a beauty treatment with the left overs.
Old 07-08-20, 04:22 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
I’ve used Testors model paint. Mixed colors to get a pretty close match.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-08-20, 04:33 PM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’ve used Testors model paint. Mixed colors to get a pretty close match.

John
Thanks man, I'll give it a try.
Old 07-08-20, 05:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,379 Times in 2,731 Posts
That's an attractive paint job and has a long way to go before it needs a repaint. Touch up the scrapes that are through the paint, polish it and you'll be looking fine!
Old 07-08-20, 05:40 PM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's an attractive paint job and has a long way to go before it needs a repaint. Touch up the scrapes that are through the paint, polish it and you'll be looking fine!
thanks, I'll get my paint brush out and give her a makeover
Old 07-09-20, 05:42 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamCh
thanks, I'll get my paint brush out and give her a makeover
Word of advice from sad experience: once you mix TEST on an obscure part of the frame and let it dry. Particularly enamel paint dries a different color. I take an old paint bottle and both mix and cover so I can save my test mixes. And the worst thing you can do is mix just a smidgen to test and then, when you get the color right, have to guess at what the mix was. You're guaranteed to get the mix wrong, because that's the way the Universe works.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 07-09-20, 07:11 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I've used nail polish before. It's not durable though,

However, I have a touch up kit for my car which consists of two bottles: one with the paint, and another with a clear coat. If I apply the clear coat over the nail polish, it holds up forever.

I bought mine at a Toyota delear (because I have a Toyota, obviously), but I think most brands have them. It cost me something like 7€. Really cheap.
Old 07-09-20, 07:43 AM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Word of advice from sad experience: once you mix TEST on an obscure part of the frame and let it dry. Particularly enamel paint dries a different color. I take an old paint bottle and both mix and cover so I can save my test mixes. And the worst thing you can do is mix just a smidgen to test and then, when you get the color right, have to guess at what the mix was. You're guaranteed to get the mix wrong, because that's the way the Universe works.
Thanks man, Why can't things be easy? They should have saved me a can of the original paint from France in 1988.
Old 07-09-20, 07:45 AM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I've used nail polish before. It's not durable though,

However, I have a touch up kit for my car which consists of two bottles: one with the paint, and another with a clear coat. If I apply the clear coat over the nail polish, it holds up forever.

I bought mine at a Toyota delear (because I have a Toyota, obviously), but I think most brands have them. It cost me something like 7€. Really cheap.
Thanks dude, I've already applied nail varnish to a small silver part of the bike so I'll put the clear coat on that.
Old 07-09-20, 07:52 AM
Elbeinlaw

Thanks man, Why can't things be easy? They should have saved me a can of the original paint from France in 1988.
Was France even around in 1988?

As for why it can't be easy … once you do it once, it's actually not that difficult, and the skill is applicable to all kinds of things. Personally, I enjoy developing the skill required! In these times, people would throw a bike out because it has scratches or "the gears don't work" rather than learn to fix them. You'll become one of the 1% of people who actually fix stuff.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 07-09-20, 08:00 AM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Was France even around in 1988?

As for why it can't be easy … once you do it once, it's actually not that difficult, and the skill is applicable to all kinds of things. Personally, I enjoy developing the skill required! In these times, people would throw a bike out because it has scratches or "the gears don't work" rather than learn to fix them. You'll become one of the 1% of people who actually fix stuff.
Ha ha. I'm enjoying doing little bits and pieces to it and it's become a bit of a project. It's my first road/racing bike. It's really good to have tips and advice on here and from youtube videos. I'm also learning new terms and parts which I'd never heard of. A sign of how much I don't know is that a guy at work had to show me how to pump the tires up.
Old 07-09-20, 08:36 AM
Elbeinlaw

Welcome to the fixer-uppers club

Ha ha. I'm enjoying doing little bits and pieces to it and it's become a bit of a project. It's my first road/racing bike. It's really good to have tips and advice on here and from youtube videos. I'm also learning new terms and parts which I'd never heard of. A sign of how much I don't know is that a guy at work had to show me how to pump the tires up.
I learned a few years ago while in a Central American urban area that in some countries, there is not a tradition of do-it-yourself-ers. I don't know about GB. In America, there used to be a proud history--as in, "I changed my own water pump on my car and I'm proud of it!"--and among some people there still. But it's fading. I drive a pick up truck and I'm constantly picking up and repurposing "garbage" … like bikes where the chain came off, chairs where one leg is broken, a coffee table where the top was destroyed but the frame was perfectly good. It appalls me that people throw away perfectly good things that just lack a little repair.

For me, being able to fix something--either mine, or someone's discard--is a tremendously fulfilling act. I spend my life with words, with philosophical (legal) concepts. It's a relief to get my hands on something tangible and to figure out how to fix it. It also--I won't lie--makes me feel like Superman.

Be warned. Once you start, there's no going back. Pretty soon you'll be building bikes from scratch from the bare frame and you'll wonder: how did I ever get into this?
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 07-09-20, 08:47 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

For me, being able to fix something--either mine, or someone's discard--is a tremendously fulfilling act. I spend my life with words, with philosophical (legal) concepts. It's a relief to get my hands on something tangible and to figure out how to fix it. It also--I won't lie--makes me feel like Superman.
I also like repairing things but, to do it, you need time and sometimes space. Lots of people, lack both.

I have an interminable backlog of things to repair. I have little free time, and when I have it (usually when my son is finally sleeping at 10pm) , I'm usually too tired. Moreover, like most europeans, I live in a 3 bedroom 100m2 appartment with a parking space shared with 7 neighbours. I simply can't replace a water pump in my car like you said because I lack the space. Lots of people don't have a parking space and simply park on the street.
Old 07-09-20, 08:55 AM
Elbeinlaw

AMT0571: I remember this story I read in college (in a galaxy long ago and far away) where a non-biologically male narrator mentioned in passing that her boyfriend was repairing his Harley in their one-bedroom apartment's kitchen. One of my classmates (a non-biologically-male person) said that that was completely unrealistic. It sounded so realistic to me that I didn't even notice it until she mentioned it.

Yesterday, when I was repairing my Bike Friday in my kitchen, my wife of 37 years walked around and threaded her way through all the pieces and tools on every available surface and didn't even comment. Of course the aforementioned Woman of Valor has been trained (Stockholm syndromed?) for 37 years.
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 07-09-20, 09:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Hobby shops have almost any color you want in small bottles.
Old 07-09-20, 09:49 AM
Amt0571

AMT0571: I remember this story I read in college (in a galaxy long ago and far away) where a non-biologically male narrator mentioned in passing that her boyfriend was repairing his Harley in their one-bedroom apartment's kitchen. One of my classmates (a non-biologically-male person) said that that was completely unrealistic. It sounded so realistic to me that I didn't even notice it until she mentioned it.

Yesterday, when I was repairing my Bike Friday in my kitchen, my wife of 37 years walked around and threaded her way through all the pieces and tools on every available surface and didn't even comment. Of course the aforementioned Woman of Valor has been trained (Stockholm syndromed?) for 37 years.
I repair my bikes in my living room. Including brake bleeds involving DOT 5.1 fluids and fork maintenance. It's far from ideal though, and I can't repair my car in my livingroom unless you can enlighten me on how to fit it in the elevator.

BTW, you can't fit a bike and have room to move around in the average European kitchen. Let alone having space to have the tools at hand.
Old 07-09-20, 12:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Testor's enamels in the small 7ml bottles are pretty good. However, I REALLY like Humbrol brand enamel paint in the tinlets.

I do not use acrylic paints for bicycle touchups.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 02:15 PM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Testor's enamels in the small 7ml bottles are pretty good. However, I REALLY like Humbrol brand enamel paint in the tinlets.

I do not use acrylic paints for bicycle touchups.

Cheers
Thanks mate, I'll get a few tins and start experimenting
Old 07-09-20, 02:16 PM
AdamCh

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Hobby shops have almost any color you want in small bottles.
Thanks dude, there's one near me so I'll check it out
Old 07-09-20, 02:39 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 3,381 Times in 2,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I also like repairing things but, to do it, you need time and sometimes space. Lots of people, lack both.

I have an interminable backlog of things to repair. I have little free time, and when I have it (usually when my son is finally sleeping at 10pm) , I'm usually too tired. Moreover, like most europeans, I live in a 3 bedroom 100m2 appartment with a parking space shared with 7 neighbours. I simply can't replace a water pump in my car like you said because I lack the space. Lots of people don't have a parking space and simply park on the street.
I've put a lower control arm in curbside.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-10-20, 12:39 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I've put a lower control arm in curbside.
Guy down the block from me (here in Queens) swears that he "dropped the tranny" in his car for repairs while in a regular parking spot in the street. I've also don't my fair share of motorcycle and car wrenching in the street (nothing quite as serious as that, admitted), and one of the best things about bikes is that they are light and small enough to work on almost anywhere.

I used some Testor's to touch up one of my bikes, and the mixing was really quite a challenge. I was trying to match a shade of yellow, and getting the right amount of green and red was so difficult that I settled for "close enough." Should have consulted an artist, but it was still a fun experience.
Old 07-10-20, 01:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,379 Times in 2,731 Posts
her boyfriend was repairing his Harley in their one-bedroom apartment's kitchen.
Yep. My first year out of college I stored my BSA in my apt living room (first floor, no stairs) and cleaned parts with gasoline indoors. Stupid....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-10-20, 02:42 PM
Elbeinlaw

Males at 20

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
.Stupid....
I have two sons, who have survived so far through their 20s. I had two brothers. I've grown up my whole life around males, and I am one. It absolutely amazes me that any of us survived our 20s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.