Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 10:21 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,740 Times in 2,761 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I believe my son is the only [male] U23 LUX rider and the LUX U23 program will now no longer exist.

Edit ADD
LUX has a camp going in Boulder now. Also a few alum there.
That explains it. Nice to see them out here and even better to see them racing. I wish I were in town for this.
Old 06-18-20, 11:10 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
We got Everesting controversy!
Old 06-18-20, 11:18 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
That explains it. Nice to see them out here and even better to see them racing. I wish I were in town for this.
The kids have/had a very aggressive schedule this year inc the Colorado Classic (and I thought Redlands and another pro race).
They are now well funded, organized and I think would be one of the more competitive USA pro teams, if not dominant.
Races | LUX Cycling
Old 06-18-20, 11:51 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingFever
I'm so far detached from cycling media, I have no clue what's going on outside the 33.
Old 06-18-20, 02:45 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
I realized this belonged in the Strava Power thread, but here is evidence that Strava algorithms / Garmin GPS reporting are clearly in cahoots with COVID-19 reporting.

The rider did not fall off and hit his head. This is that segment from the video above.
Old 06-18-20, 03:01 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
wut
Old 06-22-20, 04:33 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Doge
The kids have/had a very aggressive schedule this year inc the Colorado Classic (and I thought Redlands and another pro race).
They are now well funded, organized and I think would be one of the more competitive USA pro teams, if not dominant.
Races | LUX Cycling
I saw them out on Lefthand Canyon yesterday, and they looked to be having a blast. Seeing team rides is not uncommon here, but seeing them looking as if they're thrilled to be out there, giving encouragement and acknowledging other riders, is pretty darn cool.
Old 06-22-20, 04:51 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by LAJ
I saw them out on Lefthand Canyon yesterday, and they looked to be having a blast. Seeing team rides is not uncommon here, but seeing them looking as if they're thrilled to be out there, giving encouragement and acknowledging other riders, is pretty darn cool.
Prime time for having fun. They have funding and are not so worried about how to pay the bills. And...cycling is not a job.

My son spoke to them about other options besides being a pro and he said it was like speaking a foreign language. Right now - they likely are all planning on being pros.
My guess is about half those kids could be pro and half will decide not to be ~age 20, as it is a job, and once they start seeing it as a job, things change. That and needing to work in Europe. Seems romantic, but less so for some when they get used to it.

Last edited by Doge; 06-22-20 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-23-20, 12:53 PM
LAJ
So it is

To be young again.
Old 07-01-20, 02:49 PM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From USA Cycling today:

While we are seeing a return of local rides and races in some areas, Nationals draw a large number of people from around the country. When combined with the challenges of obtaining local permissions and permits, having to heavily modify event formats, and facing financial concerns within both our organization and local organizing committees, we have had to make the very difficult decision to cancel the following events for 2020:

USA Cycling Pro Road National Championships

USA Cycling Amateur Road National Championships

USA Cycling Masters Road National Championships

USA Cycling Gran Fondo National Championships

USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships

USA Cycling Elite and Junior Track National Championships

USA Cycling Masters Track National Championships
Old 07-01-20, 04:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Trek world cup cx cancelled as well

Old 07-01-20, 04:53 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Our races were cancelled, which I couldn't have done because this sickness has floored my fitness. Next for me is BWR which I give a 50/50 chance of happening.
Old 07-07-20, 07:55 AM
JLTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
We raced again here in UT a couple weeks ago. USAC sanctioned this time, and with no racing pretty much anywhere a handful of pro's showed up who'd been in the area training. Quinn Simmons and Kevin Vermaerke, couple others as well. Not sure when it might happen again if at all for 2020, next tentative one on the schedule isn't until mid-August and permits are in questions. Local crit series and two different local weeknight MTB series races are going now though, have been for several weeks.
Old 07-11-20, 12:36 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

There were races permitted by USA Cycling that were held in various states last weekend. The response from that racing being allowed to happen has been fairly loud and negative. Regardless of anyone's feelings on any of this the pressure is mounting to push USA Cycling to just simply call it a year and be done with everything.

They won't...but....I believe they should.

Old 07-11-20, 12:59 PM
Doge

Junior about ready to stop riding. He is very fast right now, but can't leave the state (AZ), so despite FrontierAirline offering $11 one way tickets to COS, no point. And it is HOT. Maybe something will happen in the fall, as he's pretty close to Brandon.
Old 07-12-20, 04:50 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
There were races permitted by USA Cycling that were held in various states last weekend. The response from that racing being allowed to happen has been fairly loud and negative. Regardless of anyone's feelings on any of this the pressure is mounting to push USA Cycling to just simply call it a year and be done with everything.

link?
Old 07-12-20, 05:47 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts

I've also heard very loud and negative feedback about some races/race series being cancelled.
Old 07-12-20, 10:08 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

I read the briefing with all the accompanying pictures from Tour of Northern GA (TONGA).

Had a very strong "wtf did you expect, and why the hell are you surprised?" reaction.

The captioned pictures showing people in the middle of a race not wearing masks or staying six feet apart were bizarre for a bike racing organization to post.
Old 07-12-20, 08:29 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts

The Tilles Park Crit in STL was met with positive reviews from everyone I've spoken to, and racers included a not insubstantial number of health care professionals. Racing was in accordance with posted guidelines. I was grateful for the chance to race, and grateful for the steps they took to keep us safe.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-13-20, 11:56 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Apparently there's a race series in PA. I saw photos. They included photos of guys taking their masks down during the race. Guys hugging without masks. And in one photo two guys carrying their teammate, who won, all without masks. I'll pass. I'm cool if the sport falls into the abyss. No different than taking drugs because everyone else is doing it. I'm more or less at the point attitudinally that everyone can go eff themselves.
Old 07-13-20, 12:01 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
The Tilles Park Crit in STL was met with positive reviews from everyone I've spoken to, and racers included a not insubstantial number of health care professionals. Racing was in accordance with posted guidelines.
I think the issue is that the "guidelines" are essentially made up. Part of the complaints are issues such as:

Travel: USAC does not limit competition from outside of a state

and

Bicycle-racing specific proximity considerations:

Simultaneously, USA Cycling CMO, Dr. Roshon, said in a webinar on May 22, 2020 that he recommends wearing a mask at all times when riding a bicycle in close proximity of people who are not close family or friends for whom a medical history is known and trusted. In the same webinar, Dr. Roshon also does not recommend riding single-file within 20 feet of a rider of unknown history while all participants wear masks. If riding single-file behind a rider of unknown history, without the additional protection of masks, then Dr. Roshon recommends riding greater than 20 feet apart. See: May 22, 2020 USAC webinar [15]

Which is why there's such a ****storm going on behind the scenes.
Old 07-13-20, 12:57 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
link?
Arley Kemerer had a lot going on with her post. I have been getting texts from riders demanding I make a public statement. This isn't just about the race in PA but also like the race in St Louis. I had a team member go down and race that one. There is a lot of twitter crap flying around. I have some of our track organization incensed by USA Cycling not simply cancelling everything that they are discussing leaving USA Cycling for any one of the 10 other track organizations.

Old 07-13-20, 01:01 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've also heard very loud and negative feedback about some races/race series being cancelled.
We have been getting applauded when we officially cancel things but then there is always 2 or 3 guys who use it as a chance to personally attack all the volunteers and call everyone a list of names.

There was a crit that was still going to be on in September. They put out a poll. 82 people responded. 50-something of them said they wouldn't go and said it should be cancelled. That still means almost half want to race. Granted it was fairly self selected little group...

Old 07-13-20, 01:03 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by bbbean
The Tilles Park Crit in STL was met with positive reviews from everyone I've spoken to, and racers included a not insubstantial number of health care professionals. Racing was in accordance with posted guidelines. I was grateful for the chance to race, and grateful for the steps they took to keep us safe.

BB
Yup - this is the one I am getting flak on. People have left the team because of this (we had a racer go race). From what I saw everything seemed to be done well but....*shrug*.

Old 07-13-20, 01:07 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Apparently there's a race series in PA. I saw photos. They included photos of guys taking their masks down during the race. Guys hugging without masks. And in one photo two guys carrying their teammate, who won, all without masks. I'll pass. I'm cool if the sport falls into the abyss. No different than taking drugs because everyone else is doing it. I'm more or less at the point attitudinally that everyone can go eff themselves.
I'm getting to that point. As an LA President - this isn't what I signed up for. USAC needs to take a stand and do the right thing. The right thing is to just cancel everything for the season. They haven't and they probably won't which is causing me to second guess my role with them. Do I stay because we have been doing the right thing? Do I entertain the calls of others who are trying to start a new sanctioning body within our state? I have enough on my plate as it is so do I just resign and walk away?

I love races and racing but I don't see any reason why we should be doing any of them right now or even this year.

Likes For Psimet2001:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.