Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Catching the draft... how close is too close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 10:15 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I am still thinking of what @RChung said about drafting yourself.... do i need to give myself permission to do so?
Old 07-14-20, 10:19 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I am still thinking of what @RChung said about drafting yourself.... do i need to give myself permission to do so?
Do you need to give yourself permission to do other things to yourself?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 10:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10633 Post(s)
Liked 12,256 Times in 6,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My favorite is when I suddenly notice an ******* sucking my wheel and ask him to stop. "Oh it's ok, I'm just recovering." Recover somewhere else, *******.
I confess to once grabbing the last wheel of a passing group of riders, but in my defense, it was mile 98 of the first century I'd ever ridden, and I was facing the usual SF Peninsula afternoon headwind. And I only sat on for about 1/2 mile.

But I felt guilty about it afterwards....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-14-20, 10:26 AM
Wooderson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I think riding in groups can made some rides more enjoyable, and if all parties are willing, then I don't see the harm. But the key word is 'willing'. Different strokes for different folks. You have to communicate.

And sure, I might only be able to ride a given route at 18mph solo, but riding it at 21mph in a group incorporates some different elements that relieves some of the monotony of road cycling. I often push myself harder in fast groups than I would riding solo as well.

I like a long solo ride as much as the next guy, but groups rides are good, too.
Likes For Wooderson:
Old 07-14-20, 10:31 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

I generally dont have any issues with people jumping on my wheel if they are, say, a wheel length behind me. If they are right up against my rear wheel, I would expect them to ask first - but in my experience, the people who are experienced enough to draft to closely also are experienced enough to not draft a stranger, So far, most times i have had people jump on my wheel, they've stayed far enough behind that it really doesnt bother me or infringe on my comfort zone. YMMV.

I agree it isnt nice to draft without asking, but if that's common in someone else's neck of woods, have at it.
Old 07-14-20, 10:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Do you need to give yourself permission to do other things to yourself?
Like you've never felt guilty afterwards.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-14-20, 10:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I'm getting great training out if it.
What are you getting out of that that you couldn't get in your own wind?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-14-20, 10:48 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
If asked whether drafting is safe, the more vocal posters here will say it's absolutely unsafe at any distance. I think as a cyclist you assume certain risks while riding and ultimately it's up to you and the person/people you're drafting to decide whether the risks are worth the enjoyment. It's dickish to latch onto a wheel unannounced just as it would be to randomly slide in next to someone on the sidewalk and put your arm around their waist. Ask first. But if everyone is a consenting adult--well, that's no one else's business.

Interestingly, there's some legal literature about drafting that's explained here: https://www.zifflaw.com/ny-bike-acci...ion-of-ny-law/.
The debate is not about if drafting is safe but rather jumping on some strangers wheel risking both him and yourself. Last thing I want on a solo ride or outing with my friends is some yokel of questionable ability sitting on our wheel. If you want company find a local riding group and join them. As stated earlier it’s usually the writers of questionable ability to jump on a random groups wheel. Competent riders if they want a group will find one or will ride alone.
Old 07-14-20, 10:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked 7,605 Times in 3,048 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I confess to once grabbing the last wheel of a passing group of riders, but in my defense, it was mile 98 of the first century I'd ever ridden, and I was facing the usual SF Peninsula afternoon headwind. And I only sat on for about 1/2 mile.

But I felt guilty about it afterwards....
That's why so many centuries now have confessionals set up at the aid stations.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-14-20, 10:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I cast off Puritanical nonsense long ago.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 10:57 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
The debate is not about if drafting is safe but rather jumping on some strangers wheel risking both him and yourself. Last thing I want on a solo ride or outing with my friends is some yokel of questionable ability sitting on our wheel. If you want company find a local riding group and join them. As stated earlier it’s usually the writers of questionable ability to jump on a random groups wheel. Competent riders if they want a group will find one or will ride alone.
Well I would consider the debate I was having earlier with the other guys to be mostly about....well now I don't even know what it was about. But in this case, if this "yokel of questionable ability" asked if he could join, and you said no, and he just went away--well you wouldn't remember that incident probably. So the debate is not only about drafting being safe (it's never safe, even at the highest levels of the sport) but also whether or not it's cool to jump on a wheel unannounced (it's not).

All that said--can you do it? Sure--but you assume the risk--both physically and legally.
Old 07-14-20, 10:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I guess I didnt realize the uniqueness of the North Shore scene. This past weekend Three guys passed me and I jumped on their wheel. With the four of us total age probably exeeded 250 yrs. I allowed them to rotate the lead, I hung in the back. We were all similar build so I was getting an excellent draft. When they picked up the pace is when I tucked in close to the wheel in front of me to get maximum draft effect. I only ride on weekends so my conditioning is not the best. So riding really close can make my effort considerably less. And thats when I started thinking, hmm how close is too close?

Maybe its the abundance of riders with abundance of experience that makes it accepted to draft at will. Or maybe its the parade-like atmosphere. So many riders all with somewhat the same intention. Its just commonplace to jump in to any group that passes. From responses this is not the norm. Here in my neighborhood its just what we do.
So you jumped on without asking and then failed to contribute? You are the worst, Burr.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-14-20, 10:58 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 2,997 Times in 1,843 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Just hit him with a snot rocket.
Try that in this climate and he's likely to pull out a phone, video you, then call the cops on you for attempted murder with the 'rona.
Old 07-14-20, 11:02 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Try that in this climate and he's likely to pull out a phone, video you.
This is one of my worst fears, because I'm pretty bad at blowing snot rockets and...well. Lots of times it ends back up on me.
Old 07-14-20, 11:03 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by guadzilla
I can imagine that the records folks would say that you can't have a fan pointing at the track for obvious reasons, but are there any explicit rules about a random fan (not particularly close) pointed away from the track in the direction the rider is going? If you can detect the effect of drafting yourself, it seems like it wouldn't take much of a fan (or just the right door opened in the right spot) to have an effect.
Old 07-14-20, 11:04 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Bruised, yes... guilty? Never.

Wait, what are we talking about?
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 07-14-20, 11:06 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by velopig
Last thing I want on a solo ride or outing with my friends is some yokel of questionable ability sitting on our wheel. If you want company find a local riding group and join them. As stated earlier it’s usually the writers of questionable ability to jump on a random groups wheel. Competent riders if they want a group will find one or will ride alone.
Based on the whole Dunning-Kruger effect, I'd bet there are a lot more people willing to jump on your wheel crazy close than are competent enough to do it safely.
Old 07-14-20, 11:20 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Think of it as a kind of motorpacing. I'm getting great training out if it. When a rider rotates back I layoff the back and let the rider drop in ahead of me so not to get in there way. Get it?
If I took a turn I would only hinder their progress. The other guys pointed out road debris fir me and had no issue with me hanging on.
No you're not, you're getting a false sense of accomplishment. But if that's what you need instead of actually improving, then carry on.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-14-20, 11:32 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I shamelessly wheelsucked for a whole half a mile this morning-- moving along around 27-28mph. But it was a twin-trailer sand 'n gravel truck, so I don't think he minded... or even saw me. He made a left and I continued straight. Took about 500W to get into his slipstream. No guilt.
Old 07-14-20, 11:37 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I shamelessly wheelsucked for a whole half a mile this morning-- moving along around 27-28mph. But it was a twin-trailer sand 'n gravel truck, so I don't think he minded... or even saw me. He made a left and I continued straight. Took about 500W to get into his slipstream. No guilt.
I love getting behind a UPS truck that's driving through a residential neighborhood.
Old 07-14-20, 11:46 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
No you're not, you're getting a false sense of accomplishment. But if that's what you need instead of actually improving, then carry on.
Participation medal.
Old 07-14-20, 11:50 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
No, actually its great training. Its not like its easy holding a wheel at speed. Its one of the best forms of training.
Old 07-14-20, 12:03 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
So you jumped on without asking and then failed to contribute? You are the worst, Burr.
Its called training and conditioning. Ride with guys faster than you. Build up your endurance and strength. It's why we are out riding in the first place, to get better and faster. Its like my friend used to say about the Sheridan Rd. rides..."Sunday is race day".
Its also staying out of the way of their ride. If they are way faster than me I dont want to disrupt their ride. If I appear stronger than the others then I participate and rotate thru. But basically I look for the faster riders to get the best workout.

Last edited by big chainring; 07-14-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 12:22 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

No, actually its great training. Its not like its easy holding a wheel at speed. Its one of the best forms of training.
You could just pedal at the same watts, solo. You get the same training, with the added bonus of not being a jerkwad.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-14-20, 12:30 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,224 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I can imagine that the records folks would say that you can't have a fan pointing at the track for obvious reasons, but are there any explicit rules about a random fan (not particularly close) pointed away from the track in the direction the rider is going? If you can detect the effect of drafting yourself, it seems like it wouldn't take much of a fan (or just the right door opened in the right spot) to have an effect.
This is part of the discussion I mentioned in a post way above.
In track racing, racers have complained for years about one country turning ventilation fans on/off when their/others' athletes were racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.