Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava-local legends

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava-local legends

Old 07-19-20, 04:58 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Strava-local legends

So the Strava local legends feature has just been rolled out here in GA. Not sure it is really important to me, but I'm wondering how the segments are chosen as not all segments I've seen have local legends.

Dave
Old 07-19-20, 05:36 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Seems like there needs to be at least a good 10+ unique riders before it gets that eligibility, because I have dozens of rides of segments that I've ridden 20, 30+ more times than anyone else, ever, and I'm NOT the LL. Then there are a few that I've ridden about 3-4 times in the last 90 days, and I'm famous, according to Strava. Go figure... I really don't care, but it's a puzzle nonetheless.
Old 07-19-20, 07:19 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
It's one of the recent features they've rolled out that gets a universal eye-roll from just about everyone I know. I find that it's a distraction from the simplicity of a conventional leaderboard. I don't know anyone that judges their ride by how frequently they visit a certain segment. In fact, most of us try to mix things up specifically to avoid the same old ride. I get that it helps broaden Strava's appeal, but I think it's kind of silly. Even the name is hyperbolic.
Old 07-19-20, 07:27 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
It's absolutely stupid. I commute the same route a few hundred times a year, and there are a few segments on that route. So I'm the 'local legend' on these segments. Big deal.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 07-19-20, 07:58 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Seems like there needs to be at least a good 10+ unique riders before it gets that eligibility, because I have dozens of rides of segments that I've ridden 20, 30+ more times than anyone else, ever, and I'm NOT the LL. Then there are a few that I've ridden about 3-4 times in the last 90 days, and I'm famous, according to Strava. Go figure... I really don't care, but it's a puzzle nonetheless.
so I guess Strava will not make you jump on the subscriber pool
Old 07-19-20, 08:02 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by justonwo
It's one of the recent features they've rolled out that gets a universal eye-roll from just about everyone I know. I find that it's a distraction from the simplicity of a conventional leaderboard. I don't know anyone that judges their ride by how frequently they visit a certain segment. In fact, most of us try to mix things up specifically to avoid the same old ride. I get that it helps broaden Strava's appeal, but I think it's kind of silly. Even the name is hyperbolic.
Have to agree. There is a descent near my house that is a segment and I almost have to ride it to get home. I would much rather have a KOM than a local legend. Just curious what the method is to the madness. Seems like the segments are almost picked randomly. I try to mix up my rides often and rarely ride the same route, so if I become the local legend maybe that will mean my riding has stagnated and it's time to create new routes lol.

Dave
Old 07-19-20, 08:07 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
It's cute. Candy for the OC's.
Would be nice to have an opt out option. Some of us only have one route out of the neighborhood.

I'd rather see a feature to track who has the highest average speed in past 3mo over >5 attempt on different days.
Old 07-19-20, 08:15 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
It's underdeveloped feature released before it's ready (assuming Strava marketing ever knew what it was for). It's barely functional under the various smartphone OS and absent from computer/web based use. And of course the non-existent tablet version of Strava. As DC Rainmaker pointed out, Local Legends is your reward for failing to to get a KOM.
Old 07-19-20, 08:43 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
so I guess Strava will not make you jump on the subscriber pool

Je suis déjà abonné.
Old 07-20-20, 03:44 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
It's absolutely stupid. I commute the same route a few hundred times a year, and there are a few segments on that route. So I'm the 'local legend' on these segments. Big deal.
In Agile software development, features are typically released in a form that's barely usable. Then, they're incrementally refined and enhanced through subsequent software releases. Feedback from users drives the definition and prioritization of improvements. But sometimes, premature negative feedback causes abandonment of a feature with really great potential. If you have ideas for how Local Legends might evolve into something cool... why not propose them? (How could Strava be more interesting or valuable for commuters?)

If there are other features you'd like Strava's developers to focus on instead, advocate for them. Being negative won't help Strava improve.

Last edited by BritishV8; 07-20-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-20-20, 08:21 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by BritishV8
In Agile software development, features are typically released in a form that's barely usable. Then, they're incrementally refined and enhanced through subsequent software releases. Feedback from users drives the definition and prioritization of improvements. But sometimes, premature negative feedback causes abandonment of a feature with really great potential. If you have ideas for how Local Legends might evolve into something cool... why not propose them? (How could Strava be more interesting or valuable for commuters?)

If there are other features you'd like Strava's developers to focus on instead, advocate for them. Being negative won't help Strava improve.
I don't know what yet-to-be-added features I'd like, cuz frankly I don't give much thought about it, but I do know I don't like this one. Feedback is feedback, whether negative or positive, and both can help developers refine their product.

Frankly, the local legend bs is embarrassing and cringe-worthy.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 07-20-20, 08:24 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I don't know what yet-to-be-added features I'd like, cuz frankly I don't give much thought about it, but I do know I don't like this one. Feedback is feedback, whether negative or positive, and both can help developers refine their product.

Frankly, the local legend bs is embarrassing and cringe-worthy.
turn by turn itinerary
to become a local legend
Old 07-20-20, 08:29 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

The name itself is terrible. Better something like Local Obsessive.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 07-20-20, 08:34 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by noisebeam
The name itself is terrible. Better something like Local Obsessive.
Or Frequent Flyer. I'd setting for that.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 07-20-20, 08:41 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Yeah, that is perfect.
Old 07-20-20, 08:50 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28441 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
I want to be a legend.
Old 07-21-20, 02:34 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I got one for a ride I do regularly and wasn’t quite sure what it was.
Old 07-21-20, 02:42 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I have a few of those "local legend" things on my usual route. It's cycling's saddest trophy. Nothing tells the world "I'm an unimaginative drone who rides the same boring route every day... slowly" like Local Legend.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-21-20, 06:51 AM
dr_max

Originally Posted by canklecat
I have a few of those "local legend" things on my usual route. It's cycling's saddest trophy. Nothing tells the world "I'm an unimaginative drone who rides the same boring route every day... slowly" like Local Legend.
It made me discover a cyclist that is doing the same 20 km loop over again in the country side instead of doing the nice 90 km ride that goes around the mountain. I was surprised someone would do that
Old 07-21-20, 07:50 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Originally Posted by dr_max
It made me discover a cyclist that is doing the same 20 km loop over again in the country side instead of doing the nice 90 km ride that goes around the mountain. I was surprised someone would do that
So y'all are alright with denigrating people just because they ride loops, or cover the same routes multiple times? How very elitist of you both.
Just think of how boring racing must be, where people cover the exact same ground dozens of times in one day.
We have an area locally called the Sunset Loop, some guys will lap it 20 times a week, and they're faster than all of us combined.
I've ridden the same 50km route at least once a week for all of 2020. I have a 3.5 mile lap around the neighborhood that I've covered over 350 times since I started cycling.
There are only 6 segments in that 3.5 mile lap, and I only have 3 of the KOMs (plus two 2nds and a disappointing 13/2,449.) Just covering that same loop slowly.
Old 07-21-20, 08:58 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

For those who ride from the front door, many will become LL for that segment that takes you out of the neighborhood.

Short loops are good if you don't want to get too far from home.
Old 07-21-20, 09:55 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Yeah well sorry but I'm also in the camp that the Local Legend thing is just a bit of a crap Strava gimmick designed to take heat off them after all the negative comments from users after they changed the free/subscriber user access.
Old 07-21-20, 10:27 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
For those who ride from the front door, many will become LL for that segment that takes you out of the neighborhood.

Short loops are good if you don't want to get too far from home.
I live in an area that, due to the pandemic, not all public restrooms are open and all fast food is drive thru only. I do a lot of loops close to home.
Old 07-21-20, 10:38 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Someone from the Big Ten conference must have named this.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-21-20, 10:46 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I'm not particularly interested in attaining a Local Legend status (don't even know what segments around me qualify), but I don't see getting undies ruffled over the feature, either. If they were selective, as in actual, local humans having input on which segments qualify, I could see it being a cool feature - maybe it's a particular climbs, or well-traveled and hotly contested segments - but if segments are qualifying willy-nilly via algorithms, I think that the significance is going to be hit and miss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.