Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Drop bar brake lever hoods: shape and dimensions

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 08:40 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts

Does anyone have some comparative size and shape dimensions for various non-shifter drop bar brake levers? it seems that the shape varies greatly but manufacturers don't publish any relevant dimensions to their hoods.

My personal goal is to find a new lever with a more compact reach. I have Tektro Hylex brakes and the hoods on them are LONG. this may be ideal for some people but as a personal preference, I want something shorter. (yes, I know I will need to change over to a mechanical brake if I want a different lever. that's fine.) with no way to comparing the sizes in person, I need some dimensions or photos showing them for scale.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-22-20 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-20-20, 12:17 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I'm a smaller guy with smaller hands and I use the Cane Creek SCR-5c (c for compact) levers - but apparently upon doing a search, they no longer make the SCR-5 levers at all - regular or compact. So, that's a total bummer because they're perfect for me. I don't have any measurements for them though.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 07-20-20, 01:28 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Suntour and Dia Compe levers tend to have short hoods, around 2 1/8".

Last edited by specialmonkey; 07-20-20 at 01:40 PM.
Likes For specialmonkey:
Old 07-20-20, 08:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
My favorite levers are SRAM S500s I have used them on a bunch of bikes and would personally love to figure out a way to build Gevenalle style "brifters" with them (my last attempt failed) They are comfortable for my hands but I don't have small hands but they are certainly not the same reach as the TRP Hylex which are loooooong to fit the hydro reservoir without going up like SRAM did (which look terrible, ATMO)

It is a real shame SRAM uses DOT fluid and in the past haven't made great brakes because they make fantastic mechanical brake levers.
Old 07-21-20, 10:11 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Tektro RL341 Levers are good for smaller hands...
Old 07-22-20, 09:14 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Just shorten your stem by 5-10mm. Are you already using a short reach handlebar? The only levers that you'll find that have a shorter hood will either be non-aero or the basic Shimano ones.
Old 07-22-20, 09:21 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Just shorten your stem by 5-10mm. Are you already using a short reach handlebar? The only levers that you'll find that have a shorter hood will either be non-aero or the basic Shimano ones.
I am 5'9" and riding a 52cm frame that has a 545mm ETT. The handlebar is a Salsa Cowbell 3, which is already pretty darn compact. I have a 60mm stem on the bike, which seems ridiculously short and I hate it, aside from being almost in the right spot to reach the ends of the hoods. if I wanted to set it up for just the hoods position, I need a 40mm stem, but that would put the bar will be in my lap and I'll hit my knees on the handlebar when I stand up. if I go longer, the handlebar is in a great place to reach the ramps, drops, hooks, and tops, but the ergo bump on the hood is 2" longer than I can stand to ride for more than a few minutes for each hour I spend on the bike. I want a brake hood to rest my hands, not aero bars.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-22-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 02:36 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Isn't the Hylex a hydraulic brake? They're longer because they're hydraulic. My hydraulic RS505's are about an inch longer than my regular mechanical Ultegra's. The Tektro RL340's on my Wabi are 3.25 inches measuring the same way you did. And they actually feel like Campy hoods.
Old 07-22-20, 02:56 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Isn't the Hylex a hydraulic brake? They're longer because they're hydraulic.
That's what I thought, but when I emailed TRP about it, they said that their RRL levers are the same shape. so I think they chose that length for aesthetic/ ergonomic purposes. I've taken the hood off these levers and there's a massive bunch of parts in there that probably would not fit if they tried to make it shorter.

I have some old Sora shifters that I am going to stick on my bike in the trainer for comparison. (a friend needs these for a bike build.) measured the same way as above, they are over an inch shorter. if I can find a lever that is closer to that, that's what I need. of course, that means buying a whole new brake setup, which is worth the hassle to me. I'd rather not have the stopping power of hydros, which is overkill for this application, than a bike that doesn't fit well.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 10-26-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-23-20, 07:03 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My favorite levers are SRAM S500s I have used them on a bunch of bikes and would personally love to figure out a way to build Gevenalle style "brifters" with them (my last attempt failed) They are comfortable for my hands but I don't have small hands but they are certainly not the same reach as the TRP Hylex which are loooooong to fit the hydro reservoir without going up like SRAM did (which look terrible, ATMO)

It is a real shame SRAM uses DOT fluid and in the past haven't made great brakes because they make fantastic mechanical brake levers.
OT, but, you might find this useful: https://imgur.com/a/mpGarUU
Likes For phobus:
Old 07-23-20, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
OT, but, you might find this useful: https://imgur.com/a/mpGarUU
Thanks, quite useful actually. Better than my initial idea and probably could really make it ever sexier with more time. Maybe one day I will give it a try.
Old 07-25-20, 03:52 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’m using old Weinmann non-aero levers with the extension levers removed, bolts cut flush and Cane Creek hoods. Much shorter reach on the same bar than, say, my Shimano Tiagra or old 105 aero levers.

Of course I’m using these with single bolt, caliper brakes, so the standard short pull lever may be totally wrong in your situation.

Otto