Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a quick, easy way to wash a bike??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 06:14 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts

...like the title asks, is there a fast and easy way to wash a bike? My wife has a Trek Marlin and has been riding several times a week on a bike path that has a section that is compact dirt, the rest is all paved or compact gravel. Because its been so dry the compact dirt section is coating her bike with dust, it's very fine dust that has gotten into everything. We looked up washing your bike and had a good laugh. We live in an apartment so no bike stand, no place to hose it down, wash it, rinse it, all using multiple buckets, multiple brushes, bike polish, chain washers, etc, etc.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
Likes For trainchaser:
Old 07-28-20, 06:19 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
A damp rag, a spray bottle, and a hard floor? Wipe the chain with a rag to get the dirty lube. Maybe the chain rings and jockey wheels too?
Don't over think it.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-28-20, 06:42 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Inside an apartment? Don't think I would try that, but I have one of those spray bottles sold for watering plants and have it filled with a mix of water and car wash soap. Spray plus some old t-shirts will do the job. Of course it's easier if you have a stand and can remove the wheels, as getting between the wheels and frame / fork is useful, in particular for the back wheel / seat post. I guess if careful you can lie the bike down on the non-drive side with the wheels off and do it that way. Would help to have some cardboard underneath.

scott s.
Old 07-28-20, 07:09 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
My goto for gravel dust/dirt buildup is to use an old toothbrush to loosen the material, and an air compressor to blow it away once loosened. A dampened shop rag can then be used to further tidy up any left over dirt or sweat residue on the frame. I then use a chain scrubber with simple green/ water solution to clean the chain and wipe clean the chainrings and deraileur jockey wheels with a rag and similar cleaning solution. Re-lube the drivetrain, clean the disc rotors or rim brake tracks with a rag and rubbing alcohol.
If you can get the bike outside to use an air compressor, this is a quick and tidy job which i usually do in my driveway. If i had to do it inside, the process would be similar, but with a tarp under the frame to catch debris, and without the air compressor to aid in the initial dirt removal which could make quite a mess indoors.
Hope this helps!
Old 07-28-20, 07:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Y'all got a bathtub or shower?
Old 07-28-20, 07:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
No. Take it outside and wash it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-28-20, 07:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have 2 spray bottles, 1 with 1:10 Simple Green and water and the 2nd with straight Simple Green. Other than the chain I use paper towels and only use a hose after riding in the rain and there's mud everywhere.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-28-20, 07:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I leave the dust on. It's not hurting anything, it's not making a mess and it adds a bit of character to my bikes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-28-20, 07:39 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Lysol wipes work well.

In your case I would take it to a self-service handsprayer carwash.
Old 07-28-20, 08:01 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The bikes my family rides on the beach get hosed down with water after every ride. These bikes require frequent chain and derailleur lubrication.
The bikes I use for basic transportation and trips to the store get wiped off with a damp rag and periodic chain lube.
The (18lb carbon fiber) race bike I use for long distance & club rides probably gets the least maintenance of any of my rides. I clean it with furniture polish and, lubricate it with tiny drops of oil on each pivot point.
Old 07-28-20, 11:06 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Derailleur bikes?? NO. LOL
Old 07-29-20, 03:15 AM
bookthug85

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trainchaser
...like the title asks, is there a fast and easy way to wash a bike? My wife has a Trek Marlin and has been riding several times a week on a bike path that has a section that is compact dirt, the rest is all paved or compact gravel. Because its been so dry the compact dirt section is coating her bike with dust, it's very fine dust that has gotten into everything. We looked up washing your bike and had a good laugh. We live in an apartment so no bike stand, no place to hose it down, wash it, rinse it, all using multiple buckets, multiple brushes, bike polish, chain washers, etc, etc.
Could you take the bike to a self car wash place, one of those coin-operated ones, if you have something nearby?
Likes For bookthug85:
Old 07-29-20, 05:35 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Only time my bikes get washed anymore is when it rains.

If your apartment has a parking lot than you can bring down a bucket of soapy water and wash it there.
Old 07-29-20, 05:52 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
I love my wd40 spray the bike wipe off everything with fresh rag. cleans degrease love that stuff.
Old 07-29-20, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
The danger in using a self-serve car wash is the high pressure hose. It will displace the grease from where it is needed, in the hubs, head bracket, bottom bracket, pedals, derailliers, jockey-wheels, etc.

I now prefer a bucket and some rags. I buy cheap bristle-type pot scrubbers from the dollar store to clean gunk off the chain and driveline, then toss 'em.
Old 07-29-20, 08:25 AM
fabio13222

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd take to a self service car wash. You can get this done for a couple of dollars and no need to do it on your apartment.
Likes For fabio13222:
Old 07-29-20, 08:38 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
The danger in using a self-serve car wash is the high pressure hose. It will displace the grease from where it is needed, in the hubs, head bracket, bottom bracket, pedals, derailliers, jockey-wheels, etc.

I now prefer a bucket and some rags. I buy cheap bristle-type pot scrubbers from the dollar store to clean gunk off the chain and driveline, then toss 'em.

Yep --

I do use a carwash - I just don't spray directly at my suspension pivot points or bearing areas --- instead I use the carwash to get the heavy dirt off, then use a rage around those areas ---- WD-40 gets used a lot too for bike washing to spray off the cassette, - then a quality lube
Old 07-29-20, 08:46 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
no quick method for a good wash.

Just wipe it down with lint free dry cloth & wipe the chain down after each ride. Once in a while, give it a real wash & lube. If I am riding a lot in a short period, that is what works for me for my carbon bicycle.
Old 07-29-20, 08:47 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Personally I would not wash my bike inside. Too much road grime, oil, dirt, small rocks, etc. that can come off and stick/coat nice surfaces like couches and kitchen tables. I would to my best to clean the bike outside wherever possible.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 07-29-20, 08:58 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Generally, I just wipe off my bikes with a damp rag and then lube as needed. The only time I ever needed to hose it off was one day when a bunch of wet oak pollen got all over my bike. Does your apartment have any outside spigots?
Old 07-29-20, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Personally I would not wash my bike inside. Too much road grime, oil, dirt, small rocks, etc. that can come off and stick/coat nice surfaces like couches and kitchen tables. I would to my best to clean the bike outside wherever possible.
Yeah. I don't see why this is so difficult to figure out. When I was doing possibly my most riding I lived in an appartment. Almost 9 years in the same place. No access to a hose. No apartment complex parking lot of lawn. A realy big city apartment with just a sidewalk. I would bring out a big bucket of water with a small amount of soap and clean the frame, wheels, etc., with a large sponge. If I needed to "hose" it off I would use filled water bottles. Chain cleaning also took place outside. These days I have a house with a back deck and a hose. I would never dream of cleaning the bike inside.
Old 07-29-20, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG

Not really...especially on modern bicycles with sealed bearings. The GCN guys did a test with a power washer where then directed the spray right at the bearings for 5 minutes and saw no penetration. I wouldn't go that far but with just a little cautious use, a car wash is perfect acceptable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-29-20, 09:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Yep --

I do use a carwash - I just don't spray directly at my suspension pivot points or bearing areas --- instead I use the carwash to get the heavy dirt off, then use a rage around those areas ---- WD-40 gets used a lot too for bike washing to spray off the cassette, - then a quality lube
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not really...especially on modern bicycles with sealed bearings. The GCN guys did a test with a power washer where then directed the spray right at the bearings for 5 minutes and saw no penetration. I wouldn't go that far but with just a little cautious use, a car wash is perfect acceptable.
Ok, perhaps a car wash is not a horrible choice if used with caution.
Old 07-29-20, 09:54 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I use self-service spray car washes to clean bikes after CX races, and during the winter months when my outside hoses are put away.

I bring a chain cleaner like this: Park Tool Chain Cleaner and some de-greaser in a spray bottle. I run the chain through it a few times, then spray on some degreaser and brush off any gunk or mud from the rest of the drivetrain, then just use the car-wash spray soap and a sponge to clean up the rest of the bike, rinse and dry off with a towel. I avoid spraying high pressure right at the bearings and drivetrain, but as others have noted it's probably not really an issue.

I'll re-lube the drivetrain once I get home and it's had a chance to dry off.
Old 07-29-20, 10:05 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Chemical sprayer. I use it all the time

Likes For GrainBrain:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.