Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does A Base Layer Keep A Rider Cooler in Hot Weather

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 06:54 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

I have always felt that a base layer holds your sweat closer to your body which helps regulate cooling. You do see a lot of riders who do not use a base layer when it’s hot. I wonder if it doesn’t make a difference.
Old 07-29-20, 06:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Only if there's wind or airflow
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-29-20, 07:08 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I have always felt that a base layer holds your sweat closer to your body which helps regulate cooling. You do see a lot of riders who do not use a base layer when it’s hot. I wonder if it doesn’t make a difference.
It was either a podcast with the lead technologist from Pearl Izumi or a VeloNews tech podcast where the point was made that most cooling comes from sweat evaporation due to the large energy required to evaporate water. Therefore, having water evaporate as close to the skin as possible rather than clothing is best. A base layer transports water from the body to the outer jersey layer and so reduces cooling. That’s good in cold weather, bad in hot.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 07-29-20, 07:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I'd think a base layer will just keep more sweat in which in turns means that you are holding more heat next to your body. For anything over 70ºF I'm only wearing one layer.

Even if the sweat isn't evaporating at a fast rate, just the fact it can drip off of you means it's carrying heat away from you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-29-20, 10:46 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have always found that a base layer is hotter.
You can still ride with one in quite warm temps, but it is definitely cooler when removed.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-29-20, 11:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Opinions are split something like 50/50 among the people I've talked to about this. Including a lot of hikers and climbers.

I have a few base layers with high tech yarns that spread moisture out over a large area to evaporate more quickly. Now I haven't done anything scientific like measure my skin temperature with and without, so all I can really say is it's comfortable even on hot days.

Also a lot of base layers are UPF 25 to 50, so you don't have to use chemical sunblock (or reapply on a long day). I don't like the way it feels on my skin.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-29-20, 11:42 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Only if there's wind or airflow
there's always an 18+mph airflow when I ride(unless I have a tailwind).

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-29-20 at 11:46 PM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-30-20, 06:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Never worked for me, I was much hotter when I wore the base layer. Not aero but I cool off by unzipping my jersey most of the way, let the air flow. Very humid here, not much evaporation, that probably makes a difference.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-30-20, 08:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Base layers make sense for hiking and slower outdoor activities where you might want a more rugged outer clothing to deal with environmental factors. I used to always be particular about my base layer when I used to do a lot of hiking, rock climbing and other such in the woods. Not so much anymore as those activities have gone by the wayside.

You certainly don't want sweat piling up next to your body, But the looser outer clothing you wear to avoid abrasions from limbs, thorns and other such you might rub against won't rid you of the sweat if it's not touching your body. So that is where a base layer comes in.

In cycling on a road bike usually the clothing is form fitting and snug. There is no need for a base layer. Unless, you like to wear loose clothing when you ride your road bike. IMO of course!
Old 07-30-20, 09:37 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
All a base layer would do in the southeast is hold more water. I can wring out my gloves and socks after an hour. Another layer to hold even more sweat is completely pointless. And nasty.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-30-20, 09:47 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I almost always wear a base layer. I tend to "run cool" and rarely feel like I'm hot or overheating on the bike. I mostly like the additional compression and feel of a base layer, plus it keeps jersey seams and bib straps from chafing on my skin.
When I ride without one now in hot weather, the jersey feels like it's sticking to my skin more.

I do all my riding in the early morning, so I rarely ride in temps much above 80F. I suppose if I were riding in mid-day summer sun with temps in the 80F+ range, I'd likely ditch it.
Old 07-30-20, 09:57 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Opinions are split something like 50/50 among the people I've talked to about this. Including a lot of hikers and climbers.
This. I always wear one, but it doesn't get particularly hot in the PNW.

OP try it, if it doesn't work for you, don't wear it.
Old 07-30-20, 11:04 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I have always found that a base layer is hotter.
You can still ride with one in quite warm temps, but it is definitely cooler when removed.
Same here. Todays ride will be 62-98 deg. I will start with base and then remove ~ 85deg.
Old 07-30-20, 11:07 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I almost always wear a base layer. I tend to "run cool" and rarely feel like I'm hot or overheating on the bike. I mostly like the additional compression and feel of a base layer, plus it keeps jersey seams and bib straps from chafing on my skin.
When I ride without one now in hot weather, the jersey feels like it's sticking to my skin more.

I do all my riding in the early morning, so I rarely ride in temps much above 80F. I suppose if I were riding in mid-day summer sun with temps in the 80F+ range, I'd likely ditch it.
Same deal here. I always ride with a baselayer and sunsleeves.

My rides are typically in the evenings on weekdays and early morning on weekends, so I ride anywhere from 60 - 90 degrees in SoCal. I too like the feeling of the compression and the extra layer between the jersey. However I'm the type of guy that always wears an undershirt.

I don't feel overheated or overly sticky. One thing I do like is the wind hitting the baselayer and the mild cooling sensation, but it's entirely subjective.
Old 07-30-20, 11:09 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
This. I always wear one, but it doesn't get particularly hot in the PNW.

OP try it, if it doesn't work for you, don't wear it.
It might be a regional thing. I live in the PNW. I would consider an 80 plus degree day very hot. Many places in the country 80 degrees is on the cooler side of summer temps.
Old 07-30-20, 11:12 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd think a base layer will just keep more sweat in which in turns means that you are holding more heat next to your body. For anything over 70ºF I'm only wearing one layer.

Even if the sweat isn't evaporating at a fast rate, just the fact it can drip off of you means it's carrying heat away from you.
I'm not taking a position on base layer or no, but you've got the physics wrong. The cooling effect comes from the heat of evaporation - the energy required to transform liquid water to vapor - resulting in a net decrease in heat (well, really, enthalpy) on your skin. Just dripping off has no effect on your skin temperature.
Old 07-30-20, 11:50 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Which is what you want for maximum cooling.
Old 07-30-20, 11:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm not taking a position on base layer or no, but you've got the physics wrong. The cooling effect comes from the heat of evaporation - the energy required to transform liquid water to vapor - resulting in a net decrease in heat (well, really, enthalpy) on your skin. Just dripping off has no effect on your skin temperature.
You are only looking at one aspect of physics, cooling from evaporation. There is another aspect of physics too, moving the heat away from you.

So letting the sweat which contains a lot of heat drip off of you will keep you from getting hotter instead of retaining all that heat around you. I suppose if you are going to get me on a technicality, then that isn't cooling per se, but simply a way to get less hotter..
Old 07-30-20, 12:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
You are only looking at one aspect of physics, cooling from evaporation. There is another aspect of physics too, moving the heat away from you.

So letting the sweat which contains a lot of heat drip off of you will keep you from getting hotter instead of retaining all that heat around you. I suppose if you are going to get me on a technicality, then that isn't cooling per se, but simply a way to get less hotter..
No, sorry, that's not right. The sweat and your body are at the same temperature, so moving it away does not cool you. The sweat, sitting on your skin, is not transferring heat to your body, so removing it has no effect. If we adjust for the fact that your skin temperature is a little lower than your internal temmperature, we'd have to adjust for the fact that the sweat temperature is also lower than your internal temperature for the same reason

The heat of evaporation, on a mass normalized basis is enormous.

Trust me on this one, it's my profession.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-30-20, 12:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10154 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts

Sweat cools to below skin temp the moment it's secreted because evaporation, and remains much more efficient at conducting heat from the skin than air or your jersey.
Old 07-30-20, 12:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
It might be a regional thing. I live in the PNW. I would consider an 80 plus degree day very hot. Many places in the country 80 degrees is on the cooler side of summer temps.
When it's hot here, it's usually because we have wind blowing in from east of the Cascades where it's pretty arid. So our hot days are dry ones where our sweat does the job it evolved for, cooling by evaporation.
Old 07-30-20, 12:11 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
When it's hot here, it's usually because we have wind blowing in from east of the Cascades where it's pretty arid. So our hot days are dry ones where our sweat does the job it evolved for, cooling by evaporation.
Yep, and keeping a wet cloth on your skin, helps keep you cooler.
Old 07-30-20, 12:15 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I live and ride in the hot part of Asia. No, base layers dont help keep you cool.
Old 07-30-20, 12:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yep, and keeping a wet cloth on your skin, helps keep you cooler.
Which is why I have occasionally,on hot (>90) days dumped water down my back and on my head on sun-drenched climbs, to augment my already copious perspiration. I was amazed how well it worked the first time I did it. You just have to remember which bottle is water and which is sports drink!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-30-20, 12:37 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by guadzilla
I live and ride in the hot part of Asia. No, base layers dont help keep you cool.
Yes it does

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.