Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

RACOON CRASH 2nd time ...!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-20, 01:44 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

Ok guys was not going to say anything but knowing me, i have to tell things. Week ago Thursday 25 miles into a early 40 mile bike ride I was taken out by a raccoon at about 20MPH. 10 stitches to the coconut, lots of nasty road rash, fractured left collar bone and quite bruised and battered...I must not have been to bad after about 3 hours in emergency room they had my wife pick me up and take me home.. I am on the mend very well then about 5 days into my healing process, I tried getting up to fast out of bed from being so crazy dizzy. So for the last 3 or 4 days I get some occurring vertigo spells if I get up to fast or bend my head way down to the ground to pick something up... Tuesday I get my stitches out and will tell the doctor about it..

Anyone else have this type of issue about 5 days after a crash...? They did a CT Scan and never said anything about a concussion etc..

Sure missing my biking guys..!

Old 08-01-20, 02:03 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Ouch. Heal up soon.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 08-01-20, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Ooof. Gotta watch out for those trash pandas, eh?

Heal quickly and heal well!
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-01-20, 02:10 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
So sorry to hear. I'm wishing you a full and speedy recovery. Take care!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-01-20, 02:18 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I hate raccoons! Little bast@@@@ hiss and even swipe at me from a wood fence I frequently walk by. Hope you get well soon and get back at it.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-01-20, 02:21 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Old 08-01-20, 02:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,833 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Ok guys was not going to say anything but knowing me, i have to tell things. Week ago Thursday 25 miles into a early 40 mile bike ride I was taken out by a raccoon at about 20MPH. 10 stitches to the coconut, lots of nasty road rash, fractured left collar bone and quite bruised and battered...I must not have been to bad after about 3 hours in emergency room they had my wife pick me up and take me home.. I am on the mend very well then about 5 days into my healing process, I tried getting up to fast out of bed from being so crazy dizzy. So for the last 3 or 4 days I get some occurring vertigo spells if I get up to fast or bend my head way down to the ground to pick something up... Tuesday I get my stitches out and will tell the doctor about it..

Anyone else have this type of issue about 5 days after a crash...? They did a CT Scan and never said anything about a concussion etc..

Sure missing my biking guys..!
Oh, boy. Sorry to hear! Vertigo is very common after concussion, which has to be assumed in your case. Concussion is a clinical diagnosis, not something that shows up on imaging. CT is good for one thing only, i.e.,ruling out relatively large collections of blood in the noggin. For God's sake take it easy, don't even think about getting on a bike until cleared medically, and get a referral to a neurologist who treats post-concussion syndrome in athletes if the symptoms don't improve in a couple of weeks.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-01-20, 02:50 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. Have tangled with a squirrel while riding along, a time or two, but never (yet) a racoon.

Have had a couple of concussions, as an adult. What you're describing was typical for me, for a couple of days. Wasn't a crash on a bike, in my case, but still a jostling of the noggin. Just made sure I got plenty of rest, plenty of fluids and decent nutrition, and worked slowly back into the routine of physical activity. In my case, it wasn't more than a few days, then everything was back to normal. Your case, here, looks more severe than I ever had. Definitely follow the doc's advice and take it slow. Everyone's different, and it'll come back to "normal" when it comes. Hard to predict, in my experience.

Back in the day, I often used taking a few dozen golf swings (on the range) as a test of whether I was back to normal or not. The macro- and micro-motor control required along with the stability and balance thing ... well, it's a fair test. Took almost a week, once, before various swings felt normal again. But that was after several days of sitting and occasional walking around, lots of sleep, occasional stretching and minor muscle challenges, but all while supported and being very careful.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 08-01-20, 03:37 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Raccoons are stupid.

Q: Why'd the chicken cross the road?
A: To show the raccoon how to do it.

They're the most common roadkill, I think. Skunks rank second.
Old 08-01-20, 03:56 PM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Oh, boy. Sorry to hear! Vertigo is very common after concussion, which has to be assumed in your case. Concussion is a clinical diagnosis, not something that shows up on imaging. CT is good for one thing only, i.e.,ruling out relatively large collections of blood in the noggin. For God's sake take it easy, don't even think about getting on a bike until cleared medically, and get a referral to a neurologist who treats post-concussion syndrome in athletes if the symptoms don't improve in a couple of weeks.
thanks so much for your awesome input as you pretty much hit the nail right on the head. I would never evener consider trying to get back out until i am sure about what going on. Quite honestly I am healing very very nicely with just sore ribs, left scapula, and left collar bone but the vertigo is the one that sure has made a believer out of me.. I have been on a strict nutritional diet for over 12 years so no need for any change there but I have stopped all beer intake and will continue to do so till things get better. I sleep very very well but setting up out of bed is brutal with this sometimes vertigo....I am more inspired then ever to be back out and doing what i love most and thats on my bike...Thanks again for your nice words...
Old 08-01-20, 03:57 PM
trekmogul 

Old 08-01-20, 04:19 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
First off.....glad you lived to tell the story and hope you heal quickly. Critters.......what do you do with em! They make riding interesting for sure. I have to ask because I did not see it in your post, what happened to the raccoon?
Old 08-01-20, 04:48 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts

Crashes suck. Looking at the above damage, I can only hope you have some spares.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-01-20, 05:07 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Wow, that sucks! Good to see you up and around.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 08-01-20, 05:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
First off, I'm glad it wasn't worse, and heal up!

After my last crash, by the time I got to the ER they didn't bother with a CT scan (I was up to reciting the "scanning my cat" joke from Varsity Blues) and they didn't think I had a concussion. Around 160 hours later I was parking at lunch from work, and in a shopping complex I knew very well (besides one of my favorite restaurants, at that point it was also the location of my bike shop), I suddenly couldn't remember where to go in the parking lot to get to the restaurant, and trying to remember hurt. That never happened again, and was my only concussion symptom, but it also never happened before. So it can happen. Fingers crossed it gets better.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-01-20, 06:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
They are saying concussions can cause mental problems later in life. Ooops, never mind....
Old 08-01-20, 06:41 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
........................... Week ago Thursday 25 miles into a early 40 mile bike ride I was taken out by a raccoon at about 20MPH. 10 stitches to the coconut, lots of nasty road rash, fractured left collar bone and quite bruised and battered...I must not have been to bad after about 3 hours in emergency room they had my wife pick me up and take me home.. I am on the mend very well then about 5 days into my healing process, I tried getting up to fast out of bed from being so crazy dizzy. So for the last 3 or 4 days I get some occurring vertigo spells if I get up to fast or bend my head way down to the ground to pick something up... Tuesday I get my stitches out and will tell the doctor about it..

Sure missing my biking guys..!......................................

DANG, you got messed up!!! How's the bike???? Looks like you hit the road instead of dirt. Take time healing and follow doctor's orders.

14 weeks ago this coming Monday riding 20.1mph(computer) @ 1:25AM and mile 33 of 100 MILE OVERNIGHT RIDE a 150 pound wild hog hit me. $75,000 for 2 hours in ER, $1,200 for 55 mile Ambulance ride to Trauma Hospital and no bill from hospital yet. I landed on dirt so no stitches or road rash or concussion ONLY a cracked scapula, 2 cracked ribs, punctured lung, shoulder damage and other minor boo-boos. Bike was FINE and I rode it home 4.5 miles not knowing the injuries I had. Wife took me to ER and that was the last I saw her until she got me from the Trauma Hospital. I got the OK to get back ON THE BIKE 10 days after the crash.

Advice --- land on dirt and make sure it's a bigger animal.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-01-20, 06:47 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Indeed, heal soon, ride soon!

But I must admit I'm having fun with the image of a suicide squad of trash panda terrorists out to get roadies.
Old 08-01-20, 06:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10393 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
I have hit deer with cars 3 times. In my family, they call me Deerslayer. Sometimes, they try to jump out in front of me while I'm riding, which would be a lot worse. For me, I mean. Getting hit with 240 lb at 20 mph is probably a lot better than getting hit with 4000 lbs at 60 mph.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-20, 07:34 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Hope the racoon got the worst of it. I had one move into the soffits of my house this year and cause $850 to repair. My Jack Russell/ratdog caught the baby under the our grill and broke it's neck. He was quite proud since he runs out of leash before catching a squirrel.
Best wishes for a rapid recovery.
Old 08-01-20, 07:52 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,747 Posts
Heal well!
Old 08-02-20, 05:28 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by Germanrazor
First off.....glad you lived to tell the story and hope you heal quickly. Critters.......what do you do with em! They make riding interesting for sure. I have to ask because I did not see it in your post, what happened to the raccoon?
quite honestly at that stage of the game , I was not looking to see what happen to him but most likely he was just sore for the day and back at it.......I really have a distaste for these buggers..
Old 08-02-20, 05:29 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Crashes suck. Looking at the above damage, I can only hope you have some spares.

Yes I am good on helmets but that black GIRO will never see the top of my head every again as its going to recycle..
Old 08-02-20, 05:32 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
First off, I'm glad it wasn't worse, and heal up!

After my last crash, by the time I got to the ER they didn't bother with a CT scan (I was up to reciting the "scanning my cat" joke from Varsity Blues) and they didn't think I had a concussion. Around 160 hours later I was parking at lunch from work, and in a shopping complex I knew very well (besides one of my favorite restaurants, at that point it was also the location of my bike shop), I suddenly couldn't remember where to go in the parking lot to get to the restaurant, and trying to remember hurt. That never happened again, and was my only concussion symptom, but it also never happened before. So it can happen. Fingers crossed it gets better.
Thanks... As I said, , I am healing really really well but this all of a sudden vertigo episodes as kind of taken the wind out of my high hopes sail. Tuesday I go to have stitches taken out of the top of my coconut and will tell doctor about it for sure...I will get through this sooner or later hopefully..
Old 08-02-20, 06:58 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
quite honestly at that stage of the game , I was not looking to see what happen to him but most likely he was just sore for the day and back at it.......I really have a distaste for these buggers..
LOL....I bet. Just wondering if you took him home to mount as a memento of the incident.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.