Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Old 08-10-20, 02:47 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Went grocery shopping. Got to the cashier. Realized that my wallet was still at home, sitting on a bookshelf, drying out from yesterday.
Luckily you live in the friendly mid-west so they let you take your groceries and pay next time. Right?
Old 08-10-20, 02:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Luckily you live in the friendly mid-west so they let you take your groceries and pay next time. Right?
Whole Paycheck don't fall for that one.
Old 08-10-20, 02:51 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
We were supposed to take Heidi out to LA this week for college. I had Weds/Thurs/Friday blocked off for vacation so we could all go together. She will now be a college freshman from her bedroom,
Sad!
I have a daughter graduating HS this year off to either UW or UM next year per the plan. I do really wonder if it makes sense for Freshmen to attend college remotely and may be better off waiting a year. I just don't see how the value of a prestigious or big name university gets translated through online learning. Relationships with others will be limited, figuring out how to navigate university won't truly happen. Hate to delay growth and graduating, but it would seem that there would be some argument to do a different approach. On the otherhand depending on the major, many of those first year classes are just getting pre-reqs and fillers out of the way.
Old 08-10-20, 02:52 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Regarding the second question, the memory system for events, facts, names, etc. has a storage and a retrieval component. Retrieval, which involves focused brain work, is a harder task than storage, which happens almost automatically in many cases. As for remembering lost info when "properly stimulated," I suppose the extreme case is things you once saw or heard fleetingly looking familiar when seen again, so I guess it's pretty much true.
One depressing thing as I get older is thinking about the increasing number of events I don't remember. Like, last week the family was reminiscing about my sister's graduation at a boarding school hundreds of miles away. I drove out there with a friend, the only time he was ever there. You'd think an unusual weekend like that would stick out in my memory, but I barely remember any of it.
Old 08-10-20, 02:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
I have a daughter graduating HS this year off to either UW or UM next year per the plan. I do really wonder if it makes sense for Freshmen to attend college remotely and may be better off waiting a year. I just don't see how the value of a prestigious or big name university gets translated through online learning. Relationships with others will be limited, figuring out how to navigate university won't truly happen. Hate to delay growth and graduating, but it would seem that there would be some argument to do a different approach. On the otherhand depending on the major, many of those first year classes are just getting pre-reqs and fillers out of the way.
Waiting a year may make a lot of sense.

We suggested this but USC won't let incoming freshman defer for a year, so she would have to reapply against a larger applicant pool with no guarantee of acceptance.

We are still hoping she can head out there for the spring semester.
Old 08-10-20, 03:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Would you pay $5/month for an MUP with none of the above?
I’d pay $1/ 20 miles for smooth tarmac with some terrain and twists, no cars.
Old 08-10-20, 03:08 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Personally, I would have benefitted from a gap year anyway to be broken of my high school laziness. The problem is I don’t know what can be done productively in a gap year now while still being safe.
Old 08-10-20, 03:11 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
In which country?
Yours

Old 08-10-20, 03:14 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

There is, particularly using functional MRI. For instance, my old fellowship supervisor has been interested in the difference in brain mechanisms between voluntary and involuntary movement and found that it's not that clear when you begin to look at people with unreal or "functional" movement disorders that they sincerely believe are real and involuntary. Posthypnotic suggestion probably works in a similar way.

Regarding the second question, the memory system for events, facts, names, etc. has a storage and a retrieval component. Retrieval, which involves focused brain work, is a harder task than storage, which happens almost automatically in many cases. As for remembering lost info when "properly stimulated," I suppose the extreme case is things you once saw or heard fleetingly looking familiar when seen again, so I guess it's pretty much true.
Deja vu all over again

Old 08-10-20, 03:16 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My MUP must be the best one out there, because the few walkers I encounter are just not issues.
There is one in Indianapolis that is unrideable. Even after saying you would like to pass, nobody makes a move.

Old 08-10-20, 03:20 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
One depressing thing as I get older is thinking about the increasing number of events I don't remember. Like, last week the family was reminiscing about my sister's graduation at a boarding school hundreds of miles away. I drove out there with a friend, the only time he was ever there. You'd think an unusual weekend like that would stick out in my memory, but I barely remember any of it.
I experience the same thing, only worse 'cause I'm older. No one knows much about how "natural" forgetting works, but it may be necessary in some way.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-10-20 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 03:23 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Per ride?
Old 08-10-20, 03:25 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

We were supposed to take Heidi out to LA this week for college. I had Weds/Thurs/Friday blocked off for vacation so we could all go together. She will now be a college freshman from her bedroom, but I chose to take the days off anyway so maybe I can challenge Bah Humbug for mileage.

However, the forecast says heavy rain expected Weds/Thurs/Friday so I may just catch up on my reading and/or Continuing Medical Education.

Sad!
Gotta be a bite living in your bedroom at home instead of the dorm in SoCal

Old 08-10-20, 03:28 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

But you already have that at your race track

Old 08-10-20, 03:30 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I experience the same thing, only worse 'cause I'm older. No one knows much about how "natural" forgetting works, but it be necessary in some way.
Concussion makes it much worse. Short term and long term loss
Old 08-10-20, 03:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Concussion makes it much worse. Short term and long term loss
I had it just as bad before I got bumped. Concussion isn't supposed to do much to real long-term, biographical, memory. In fact, that stays intact pretty far into Alzheimer disease.

My father, who had bad vascular disease and then had his blood pressure repeatedly lowered by dialysis (i.e., negligence and stone cold ignorance on the part of his physicians), lost biographical memory and actually half forgot who he was in his last years.
Old 08-10-20, 03:44 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Waiting a year may make a lot of sense.

We suggested this but USC won't let incoming freshman defer for a year, so she would have to reapply against a larger applicant pool with no guarantee of acceptance.

We are still hoping she can head out there for the spring semester.
I call that theft. I hope the spring semester works out.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 08-10-20, 03:50 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Well looks like things have mostly blown by here at work, my house is still under a tornado warning for the next few minutes I think.

Sirens blew and we all staged by the designated weather shelters, but nobody actually hunkered down that I know of.

Exciting!
Those storms were rolling through like on a freight train. Temp went from 92º to 69º in a few minutes, blew the Hell out of everything, and scooted on across the state. A friend lost soffit and a tree. I just had to run around and get my patio furniture out of the neighbor's yard.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-10-20, 03:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10246 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Excellent points. I think you're right about freshman year. IIRC, most classes were large with little or no interaction with the profs. What you did get was separation from home and getting to live independently in a fairly sheltered environment, and you met a bunch of people. The ones whose education will be taking a real hit are the upperclassmen who would be taking upper level courses with much smaller classes and more interaction with the profs. And for those in the Sciences, no labs!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-10-20, 04:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10246 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
I had it just as bad before I got bumped. Concussion isn't supposed to do much to real long-term, biographical, memory. In fact, that stays intact pretty far into Alzheimer disease.

My father, who had bad vascular disease and then had his blood pressure repeatedly lowered by dialysis (i.e., negligence and stone cold ignorance on the part of his physicians), lost biographical memory and actually half forgot who he was in his last years.
My Dad had an amazing memory into his 90s, but when Mom passed it was almost like he'd been holding onto it to take care of her (like remembering what pills she took and when, doctors appointments, etc.) by the time he died at 100, dementia seemed to have largely un-written most of his whole history.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-10-20, 04:13 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Gotta be a bite living in your bedroom at home instead of the dorm in SoCal
Yeah, only benefit is mom’s cooking is superior to dorm cafeteria food.
Old 08-10-20, 04:18 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
Agree. There is a MUP that is a mile from my house. I have not gone on it since March and really avoid it unless the weather is rainy. On a typical day, it's full of weaving bicycles along with families walking 4 astride, kids on trikes, walkers, joggers, roller bladers, dog-walkers, etc.
Sounds like a properly used MUP. You just have to lower your expectations on those. take a cyclecross or gravel bike to dodge around the kids and expect to not get any decent pace or effort. Just put some music on and cruise along.
Likes For gnome:
Old 08-10-20, 04:20 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Borrowed a friends torque wrench and put the new stem on. Dropped a spacer as well. I’ll give it a try tomorrow to see how it feels.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 08-10-20, 04:21 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
I just found an ornamental tree in my front yard got blown over. I've righted it and tied it off. Now, it's storming again.

Old 08-10-20, 04:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by genejockey
My Dad had an amazing memory into his 90s, but when Mom passed it was almost like he'd been holding onto it to take care of her (like remembering what pills she took and when, doctors appointments, etc.) by the time he died at 100, dementia seemed to have largely un-written most of his whole history.
I have heard that story before and I think something similar happened to my own father, but he was pretty rough already.

Loss of a spouse is a major risk factor for vascular disease and probably also for Alzheimer-type dementia. Unsurprisingly, an immune/inflammatory mechanism is suspected.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.