Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Old 08-11-20, 11:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
My kids’ school put in a bunch of new ventilation and purification/filtration this summer.
Nothing wrong with that, but it really seems like the majority of infection is person-to-person via airborne droplets.
Old 08-11-20, 11:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
A few weeks ago when I was mowing the lawn a guy working on a project there drove off with the back door of his minivan open.

Last week a woman pulled out of her parking space in front of my house with her tailgate open. I yelled to her and she stopped. I am surprised I haven't done it.
Old 08-11-20, 11:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Yeah, the few group rides I did years ago were super fun, I totally get why people do it.

The biggest thing I wish I had was a reliable group of friends to ride with - out of my tiny little friend group I'm the only one that rides road bikes.

I'm usually pretty okay by myself but if there were other people counting on me showing up to a ride I'd probably ride a lot more, especially on weekends. Not sure what's gotten into me but the last couple of weekends I've had zero motivation to ride.
I did the vast majority of my riding solo until a few years ago - once every blue moon, I'd ride with one or two other people and I'd do the occasional charity ride, but that's about it. I still enjoy riding solo, and sometimes I'll skip group rides because I just want that alone time, but group rides are a nice change of pace and have some great benefits.

The visibility/safety aspect is great - many roads that I'll avoid solo aren't much of a concern with even as few as four riders.

Flying along faster than you could sustain by yourself is awesome, too (funny enough, though, is that my solo rides often have a higher average speed than the group rides). The camaraderie and competitiveness is fun and are great motivators, also.
Old 08-11-20, 11:16 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13642 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Oops.
Similar thing happened around here a few years back, except it took out a pedestrian bridge.

https://cnycentral.com/news/local/se...-east-accident
Old 08-11-20, 11:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by genejockey
BUT, since everyone sticks their fingers in their face holes all the time, the hand hygiene part is still valid.
So I shouldn't stick my fingers in another person's face holes after sticking them in my own face holes? I might have trouble with compliance on that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-11-20, 11:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

He's a really nice guy, and was doing well for himself before they met. I think that she was still small-time when they got together and her popularity exploded after.
I have to admit that I used to have a huge crush on her.
Old 08-11-20, 11:17 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10065 Post(s)
Liked 5,051 Times in 2,155 Posts
Yeah, the few group rides I did years ago were super fun, I totally get why people do it.

The biggest thing I wish I had was a reliable group of friends to ride with - out of my tiny little friend group I'm the only one that rides road bikes.

I'm usually pretty okay by myself but if there were other people counting on me showing up to a ride I'd probably ride a lot more, especially on weekends. Not sure what's gotten into me but the last couple of weekends I've had zero motivation to ride.

I actually prefer to ride alone. The two reasons I do group rides, A. I really do believe they will help make me faster, gets me out of my element. B. When I am in a group ride, I am so focused on not hitting the guy enfront of me, I don’t think about anything else.
Old 08-11-20, 11:21 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have to admit that I used to have a huge crush on her.
I was in their place a handful of times, and I got in some snuggles with their pitbull, but I only met Rachel once. Strangely, she didn't seem too interested in all of the audio and home integration stuff that we were working on.
Old 08-11-20, 11:22 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Like... how?
There's also a railroad bridge just outside the city that gets hit by trucks on the regular. Clearance; 10'9". Commercial vehicles are specifically banned from this route. And there are dozens of signs, flashing lights, reflective orange safety paint on the bridge (just in case you don't take the designated truck route) to no avail.
Old 08-11-20, 11:26 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rjones28
There's also a railroad bridge just outside the city that gets hit by trucks on the regular. Clearance; 10'9". There are dozens of signs, flashing lights, reflective orange safety paint on the bridge to no avail.
You'd think that they'd grow accustomed to keeping an eye out for clearance... then again, you'd think that cyclists with roof racks would be even more keyed-in on their own limitations, but we've seen all of the pictures.
Old 08-11-20, 11:28 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I took off with a side door of one of our minivans open the other day. I just waited til the coast was clear and slammed on the brakes. Problem solved.
Brilliant
Old 08-11-20, 11:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
There's also a railroad bridge just outside the city that gets hit by trucks on the regular. Clearance; 10'9". Commercial vehicles are specifically banned from this route. And there are dozens of signs, flashing lights, reflective orange safety paint on the bridge (just in case you don't take the designated truck route) to no avail.
In my town, it's Tilton Ave. Low railroad overpass, only about 11 feet or so. There's all sorts of signage, but still every so often, somebody rents a van from Ryder or Uhaul, and GRAUNCHHH!!!!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-11-20, 11:32 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by big john
I had a similar problem with my Seven, couldn't keep the headset tight enough. Turned out the star nut (or whatever it's called) inside the steer tube was loose enough to creep up the steer tube. I took the cap off and the nut has a hex, I think it's 6mm, to lock it in place.
Kinda like the second one in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Yours sounds like a compression plug. Forks with carbon steerer tubes use compression plugs.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 08-11-20, 11:42 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
How to social distance..... It took another corner to convince the fellow on my wheel to adhere to the rules. Sadly, a couple laps later, no one followed the rules, and I was swamped.

Old 08-11-20, 11:46 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
The Parkway?
Old 08-11-20, 11:47 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28439 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
About half the league, or 125 players, are >80. Most can still bat and catch well enough to be competitive (amongst themselves), but running is often the weakest point. Many need a pinch runner. One noticeable exception is my buddy Lance, an ex-Marine who can still run with the best of them at 88 years old . . . it's incredible to watch him get down the line to first base.
I don't feel my skeleton is up for that even at my age.
Originally Posted by datlas
I am not sure why, but Heidi made a tutorial on how to pet Jackie's belly:
Maybe don't pet it because the cat doesn't like it?
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
They needed my last known address in the US. If they didn't have that, you could conceivably register multiple times
How long since you lived in the U.S.?
Old 08-11-20, 11:48 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
How to social distance..... It took another corner to convince the fellow on my wheel to adhere to the rules. Sadly, a couple laps later, no one followed the rules, and I was swamped.
You need a pink glove for your right hand.
Old 08-11-20, 11:49 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Nothing wrong with that, but it really seems like the majority of infection is person-to-person via airborne droplets.
I have a severe amount of anxiety about them going back. Their desks are going to be 6 feet apart and they are required to wear a mask all day, but I just don’t trust other parents to do the right thing and be truthful.

Every morning we have to fill out a health questionnaire and I’m positive other families will not be truthful about where they’ve traveled or if the kids have fevers.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-11-20, 11:51 AM
LAJ
So it is

You need a pink glove for your right hand.

IKR? At least I don't have velcro on them.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 08-11-20, 11:54 AM
LAJ
So it is

Some how, some way, the kids need a classroom. I see the people I deal with, and I know they have kids at home, and I know there is no discipline at all to not only encourage the kids, but enforce the online rules. Heck, I've heard of a dress code now, yet their parents can't even get out of their jammies to go to the store.
Old 08-11-20, 11:55 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
IKR. A friend and I were discussing this analogy the other day, it’s like kids playing on an abandoned rail line, only now there’s an invisible runaway train on the line that the kids are used to playing on, but they’re insistent on playing regardless like they’re accustomed to.

A lot of today’s “adults” are just not accustomed to any kind of constraints.
Tangentially on topic. I have realized, now that I'm back in the woodshop with hand tools, that my brain expects that left index finger to tuck itself out of the way like it always has. And the right hand responds accordingly. The brain has finally remembered to tell me to put a glove on when using a handsaw. I noticed it, yesterday, when using scissors. Same thing. The accustomed brain was unaware of that finger being in the path of the scissors. I'm working hard to flexibilize it so the second finger can take it along.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-11-20, 11:58 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by phrantic09
The Parkway?
Yup
Old 08-11-20, 12:07 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

My mojo is down too at the moment. Next week though. You'll see. You'll all see. And you'll rue the day....

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-11-20, 12:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Just to be clear, you're saying if you need to go that high to tighten it up, once you've tightened the stem bolts, back off the preload bolt?

My question is, do you really want the front wheel off the ground when you're doing this? Because it seems to me then you are fighting gravity to pull your fork up snug into the bottom race. If it's standing on the front wheel, you're really mostly taking up the slack at the top.

I don't know. I never fiddled with headsets till last month the Bianchi's was loose, so I watched a couple videos and did what they showed.
Bike must be on the ground, as you state. Even then, it seems to take a lot of force to get the play out of the stack, so I back off the cap after I nip up the stem.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-11-20, 12:17 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I did the vast majority of my riding solo until a few years ago - once every blue moon, I'd ride with one or two other people and I'd do the occasional charity ride, but that's about it. I still enjoy riding solo, and sometimes I'll skip group rides because I just want that alone time, but group rides are a nice change of pace and have some great benefits.

The visibility/safety aspect is great - many roads that I'll avoid solo aren't much of a concern with even as few as four riders.

Flying along faster than you could sustain by yourself is awesome, too (funny enough, though, is that my solo rides often have a higher average speed than the group rides). The camaraderie and competitiveness is fun and are great motivators, also.
Paceline riding can't be beat. But then you have to deal with those other people. The thing that drives me away from group rides is A) i am always a guest these days and b) there is all that shouting and pointing. Drives me ****** nuts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.