Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is steel out of favour?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 02:30 PM
wilson_smyth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Is there a reason steel is not used much now days?
Most articles i read on the topic say due to newer steel types & manufacturing methods, steel frames are now much lighter, to make the difference in weight too little to worry about for all but the pros.
A lot of the articles also say steel is more durable with a longer life and easier repaired.
Carbon is getting more affordable but many sources say cheaper carbon frames are inferior to metal frames in the same price braket & a good carbon frame is expensive.

Ive no doubt the articles are written with a bit of bias, but is there much truth? is weight not so much of an issue now days in relation to steel frames vs the average aluminium bike?
Old 09-23-20, 02:37 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
steel bikes are pretty trendy right now from my vantage point.
Old 09-23-20, 02:42 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I wouldn't say it's out of favour, in fact one could argue that steel is the first choice of many low-production and boutique brands of bikes.
I currently ride a steel framed Norco Search S1 from 2015. While Norco makes way more carbon and aluminum frames, they're still producing steel framed bikes; https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/roa...el/section-s2/
Almost all Rivendell bikes are steel.
Same with Surly bikes.
Old 09-23-20, 02:45 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
steel bikes are pretty trendy right now from my vantage point.
Right? I'm sort of coveting this All City model; https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion_force_1
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 09-23-20, 02:46 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think it was due top the trade wars. Recent studies found that steel was vastly superior in downhill speed and major manufacturers were poised to shift the majority of their production to steel. No amount of pedaling could overcome this advantage. This coupled with e-assist for climbing made it a true win-win.

Maybe someday when things get back to normal.

John
Old 09-23-20, 02:50 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I spent several weeks drooling over some steel bikes before buying the steel hotness of a Twin Six Standard Rando.

Standard_Rando_ExtraBlack_studio_2 by TWIN SIX, on Flickr

only one aluminum bike briefly crossed my mind.
Old 09-23-20, 03:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Didn’t we just do this a couple of months ago!

Why, yes we did:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ove-steel.html

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-23-20 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 03:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I could be wrong, but I think it was due top the trade wars. Recent studies found that steel was vastly superior in downhill speed and major manufacturers were poised to shift the majority of their production to steel. No amount of pedaling could overcome this advantage.

John
I'm struggling to make sense of those three sentences. What trade wars? How did they pertain to the near-disappearance of steel frames from the marketplace? What studies? Has anyone else come across such reports of steel bikes being "vastly superior in downhill speed" (not solely because of increased weight, presumably)? What evidence is there that "major manufacturers were poised to shift the majority of their production to steel"?

The more likely reason that steel frames effectively disappeared from the part of the market served by bike shops is simple: aluminum frames cost no more to produce than high-tensile steel frames and substantially less than frames built of better steels. That's a product manager's no-brainer. And now aluminum bikes are slowly being supplanted by carbon bikes at increasingly lower price points.

Another likely factor: warranty costs. The lifetime frame and fork warranty that used to be offered on all steel adult bikes sold in U.S. bike stores (a policy that was introduced by Schwinn as a marketing strategy many decades ago to promote the superior durability of their frames, forcing other companies reluctantly to follow suit, but that's another story) began to be rolled back; as other and more exotic frame materials came to be accepted by bike purchasers, the companies must have figured that it was a golden opportunity to change that policy.

Which reminds me of what I was told by a Trek sales rep back a couple of years after they'd begun producing their first aluminum frames. I'd asked what effect introducing the aluminum bikes had had on business. He replied that they were saving money because the number of warranty claims for defective aluminum frames was substantially lower than the steel frame warranty claim rate.

By the way, about descending on steel frames: a few years ago, a European cycling magazine rounded up several steel racing bikes from the golden era of the late '80s or early '90s and persuaded several young amateur racers, all of them used to racing on high-end carbon bikes, to ride in the Alps on the steel bikes and then printed an article reporting their impressions of the bikes. In short, all of them enjoyed riding the bikes, but they also said that the bikes were a little too unpredictable in high-speed descending. I feel the same way; the increased torsional rigidity is one of the reasons I prefer my aluminum bikes. In fact, I haven't ridden any of my steel bikes in years.

Last edited by Trakhak; 09-23-20 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-23-20, 03:49 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Has anyone else come across such reports of the steel being "vastly superior in downhill speed" (not solely because of increased weight, presumably)?
You didn't know steel bikes are faster downhill? I knew this already. That's why I have my wife (at the top of climbs) handing me bottles filled with lead and mercury that way my vastly inferior aloo-minie-yum bike and my fake plastic bike (which is practically going to shatter any minute now!) can keep up with the steel crew.

Zoom! Just remember not to drink out of those bottles.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 09-23-20, 03:56 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
I wouldn't say it's out of favour, in fact one could argue that steel is the first choice of many low-production and boutique brands of bikes.
I currently ride a steel framed Norco Search S1 from 2015. While Norco makes way more carbon and aluminum frames, they're still producing steel framed bikes; https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/roa...el/section-s2/
Almost all Rivendell bikes are steel.
Same with Surly bikes.
For low volume or custom stuff it's the easiest to work with. Aluminium, unless it's very low end, will need a heat treatment after welding for which you need an oven big enough for a frame or two and jigs to stop it wilting under the heat. Higher end Alu frames also tend to be hydroformed which needs costly up-front tooling. CF monocoques come out of expensive moulds which is also inherently a high volume process.

But you can make a steel frame in a shed with basic tools (and a bit of practice and knowledge that you can easily pick up). This is how a lot of custom builders got started.

Personally I also think it is the nicest material from a ride quality and aesthetic point of view.
​​​​
Old 09-23-20, 04:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Didn’t we just do this a couple of months ago!

Why, yes we did:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ove-steel.html
Deja Vu all over again.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-23-20, 04:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Also, nobody's won a TdF on steel since Indurain. Why do you suppose that is?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-23-20, 04:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Yawn.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-23-20, 04:52 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I'm a recreational rider. My steel GURU weighs 17 lbs. 10 oz. My CAAD 12 weighs about the same. I love them both. I'm good. And...I'm pretty sure I'm not about to be picked up by a TdF team anytime soon.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-23-20, 05:07 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I spent several weeks drooling over some steel bikes before buying the steel hotness of a Twin Six Standard Rando.

Standard_Rando_ExtraBlack_studio_2 by TWIN SIX, on Flickr

only one aluminum bike briefly crossed my mind.
That bike gave me a ..... 👍
Old 09-23-20, 05:11 PM
djcookie

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Grant Petersen, is that you?

Steel doesn't have any advantages relative to any other frame material, and has several significant disadvantages, especially weight and perhaps flex as well.

I've read lots of comments about how "compliant" or forgiving steel is, but the steel bikes I've ridden weren't any more comfortable than aluminum frames.
Old 09-23-20, 05:11 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I'm struggling to make sense of those three sentences. What trade wars? How did they pertain to the near-disappearance of steel frames from the marketplace? What studies? Has anyone else come across such reports of steel bikes being "vastly superior in downhill speed" (not solely because of increased weight, presumably)? What evidence is there that "major manufacturers were poised to shift the majority of their production to steel"?

The more likely reason that steel frames effectively disappeared from the part of the market served by bike shops is simple: aluminum frames cost no more to produce than high-tensile steel frames and substantially less than frames built of better steels. That's a product manager's no-brainer. And now aluminum bikes are slowly being supplanted by carbon bikes at increasingly lower price points.

Another likely factor: warranty costs. The lifetime frame and fork warranty that used to be offered on all steel adult bikes sold in U.S. bike stores (a policy that was introduced by Schwinn as a marketing strategy many decades ago to promote the superior durability of their frames, forcing other companies reluctantly to follow suit, but that's another story) began to be rolled back; as other and more exotic frame materials came to be accepted by bike purchasers, the companies must have figured that it was a golden opportunity to change that policy.

Which reminds me of what I was told by a Trek sales rep back a couple of years after they'd begun producing their first aluminum frames. I'd asked what effect introducing the aluminum bikes had had on business. He replied that they were saving money because the number of warranty claims for defective aluminum frames was substantially lower than the steel frame warranty claim rate.

By the way, about descending on steel frames: a few years ago, a European cycling magazine rounded up several steel racing bikes from the golden era of the late '80s or early '90s and persuaded several young amateur racers, all of them used to racing on high-end carbon bikes, to ride in the Alps on the steel bikes and then printed an article reporting their impressions of the bikes. In short, all of them enjoyed riding the bikes, but they also said that the bikes were a little too unpredictable in high-speed descending. I feel the same way; the increased torsional rigidity is one of the reasons I prefer my aluminum bikes. In fact, I haven't ridden any of my steel bikes in years.
It was obviously a joke.
Old 09-23-20, 05:13 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Right? I'm sort of coveting this All City model; https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion_force_1
All City makes sexy bikes.

I look at this one on a daily basis.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_ultegra

Last edited by Mulberry20; 09-23-20 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-23-20, 05:17 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
For the record, allRivendell frames are steel
Likes For Point:
Old 09-23-20, 05:19 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by djcookie
Grant Petersen, is that you?

Steel doesn't have any advantages relative to any other frame material, and has several significant disadvantages, especially weight and perhaps flex as well.

I've read lots of comments about how "compliant" or forgiving steel is, but the steel bikes I've ridden weren't any more comfortable than aluminum frames.
Thats total BS. High end steel frames are actually lighter than carbon frames. It has a lot of advantages, most notably a top custom steel frame is about $3,500 whereas a custom carbon frame non monocoque frame is two or three times as much.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-23-20, 05:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Also, nobody's won a TdF on steel since Indurain. Why do you suppose that is?
Because the bike manufacturers supply the bikes to the pro teams as part of their marketing strategy? If Trek or Specialized wanted to bring back steel bikes to the masses, they could R+D awesome steel bikes better than carbon that we would first see on the world tours.

I'm just a recreational rider, but after riding my first decent steel bike for several months, I will never buy another carbon bike.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-23-20, 05:35 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
That bike gave me a ..... 👍
Nice looking frame, but the fork is horrendous
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-23-20, 05:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Because the bike manufacturers supply the bikes to the pro teams as part of their marketing strategy? If Trek or Specialized wanted to bring back steel bikes to the masses, they could R+D awesome steel bikes better than carbon that we would first see on the world tours.

I'm just a recreational rider, but after riding my first decent steel bike for several months, I will never buy another carbon bike.
Steel bikes didn't stop being ridden in the TdF. They just stopped winning. Over time, the fact that they weren't winning led to them not being used anymore.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-23-20, 05:54 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
When I was looking at old steel frames on eBay they often had dents in them. Aluminum doesn't seem to have dents.

Alu is also rust resistant.

It also looks oversized.
Old 09-23-20, 06:02 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
When I was looking at old steel frames on eBay they often had dents in them. Aluminum doesn't seem to have dents.
I'll give you one guess which ones were ridden more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.