Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you get enough protein?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-16-20, 09:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts

All endurance sports require a regular intake of protein for muscle and general health. What do you eat to make sure you are getting enough?

Old 10-16-20, 09:10 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Good diet of animal and vegetable protein but I always have a whey protein shake after riding or gym classes.

There is really no practical substitute for whey protein. I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, which you can buy anywhere and is proven pure and reliable.

Think of a whey protein shake as essentially the same nutrition as true ricotta cheese.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 10-16-20, 09:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
If you are weightlifting quite a bit, you may need to ensure adequate protein intake. Cycling doesn't really stress muscles enough to require more protein than most of us will get from our normal diets.
Old 10-16-20, 09:28 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
food
Old 10-16-20, 09:31 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
If you are building muscle, one gram of protein per pound of muscle weight (not body weight). People are generally only able to absorb 20-25 grams of protein at a time, so the formula is to eat 20 grams of protein every 2 to 2.5 hours. It is better to get your protein from real food (chicken, fish, etc...) vs. pills/supplements or shakes. Your body absorbs real food much better. If you have taken heavy supplements before and noticed your urine is a different color or smell, that's your body getting rid of what it cannot absorb as waste. One multi-vitamin/mineral tablet is sufficient in conjunction with a well balanced diet.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 10-16-20, 09:36 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
food
I was gonna go with 'roadkill'.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 10-16-20, 09:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Sardine?

(Seriously. I usually make myself a sardine sandwich after big Sunday rides)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-16-20, 09:56 AM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I was gonna go with 'roadkill'.
You beat me to it.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 10-16-20, 09:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
@REDMASTA stole my answer, generally ... I was going to say "Eating." He wins, and bravo.

Second would be "Easily."

Last I checked, an active 200-lb adult male needs 60-70 grams of protein .... a few cups of yogurt, a few peanut-butter sandwiches, a burger, a big bowl of rice and beans ....
Old 10-16-20, 10:19 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
I just keep my mouth open while riding and suck in all the bugs. Flies and other winged insects are high in protein. Gotta watch out for those big clumsy Scarab beetles, they can knock a tooth out. They're also a little too crunchy and bits get stuck in my teeth. I just wash out those bits & pieces with some water from a garden hose!).

Other than that just regular foods, Regardless of all the marketing pseudo-science advertising that supplement manufacturers put out you really don't need a lot of extra protein if you're a recreational rider (I bet most pros don't either).
Old 10-16-20, 10:23 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
If you are building muscle, one gram of protein per pound of muscle weight (not body weight). People are generally only able to absorb 20-25 grams of protein at a time, so the formula is to eat 20 grams of protein every 2 to 2.5 hours. It is better to get your protein from real food (chicken, fish, etc...) vs. pills/supplements or shakes. Your body absorbs real food much better. If you have taken heavy supplements before and noticed your urine is a different color or smell, that's your body getting rid of what it cannot absorb as waste. One multi-vitamin/mineral tablet is sufficient in conjunction with a well balanced diet.
Much of what you said is scientifically false. For one whey protein is real food. It is just mechanically filtered and dried liquid whey. The degree of filtering makes one more digestible than another.There is nothing artificial about it. Second, nutrients that have been treated with an enzyme or hydrolyzed are far easier to digest than "real food".

I am not suggesting that people avoid a balanced diet but I have not found an adequate substitute for a high quality whey protein shake. My fitness routine may be more intense that average.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 10-16-20, 10:53 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
To not get enough protein in the day you really have to try hard. You would have to eat junk and I don't mean potato chips and peanut and chocolate bars, I mean stuff that is completely nutritionally devoid and only that. Most people eat more than enough protein in a day just eating, You can get enough protein from a russet potato. I think the whole protein thing is way overblown. I don't think it is a bad thing to eat protein but to make such a fuss is a bit silly.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-16-20, 11:10 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We’re having lamb chops tonight. I sous vide them for a few hours then throw them on a hot grill before serving.
Old 10-16-20, 11:11 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I am not suggesting that people avoid a balanced diet but I have not found an adequate substitute for a high quality whey protein shake. My fitness routine may be more intense that average.
LOL, lots of things can substitute for whey protein! Having protein and carbs from a meal trickling into your system *during* a workout is far superior to rushing to get them in afterward.

I know your jug of overpriced whey protein disagrees with me, but it's true.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-16-20, 12:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
When I raced 40+ years ago, I read the Rodale Press book "Food For Fitness". It stressed that protein needs were barely higher for endurance athletes that a resting person except during early season muscle buildup and not all that much higher even then. Also that we Americans eat way too much protein as a matter of course. That excess protein requires additional blood flow focus to provide the needed oxygen to process it. So while doing the additional digesting, the muscles that also need oxygen to recover from training effort have to wait until that protein is processed. (Without that extra digesting to do, I slept better too, also improving muscle recovery.)

I'd have to pull out the book to confirm the numbers but I recall that as a 150 pound athlete, I needed about 2 ounces of incomplete protein, a requirement very easily met just eating enough good whole food to maintain a calorie balance. I stayed away from concentrated "proteins" in packages and still do. I've gone non-dairy (and wish I'd made that jump 40 years ago). I do eat 2-4 eggs a week, simply because I like those breakfasts, and eat a can of fish most nights for the high quality omega 3 and because I like fish and I feel good after eating it. (But if I eat late, I skip the fish to improve sleep.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-16-20, 12:15 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I don’t.

I have an absolutely horrible diet and I’m vegetarian. When I tried keeping track of my protein intake, I was lucky to get 20g a day from just “food”. I weighed 145lbs at that point and wasn’t even cycling. I was trying to strength train in the gym LOL.

I could maybe get up to 50-60 if I shoveled food/supplements down my throat until it wouldn’t stay down. But that wasn’t really sustainable for me.
Old 10-16-20, 02:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
All endurance sports require a regular intake of protein for muscle and general health. What do you eat to make sure you are getting enough?
I get all the protein I need from eating real food. This includes: meat, eggs, yogurt and milk. I also lift weights and I find that a diet high in animal products will provide all the protein that your body needs to recover and maintain muscle. There is no need for any supplements. Only vegetarians and other fad dieters are at the risk of being protein deficient.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-16-20, 02:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I have found a perfect substitute for whey protein powder. It's called " real food " and includes animal products such as various types of meat, fish, eggs, yogurt and milk...and I guarantee you that my personal fitness routine is very intense and I find no problem with recovery by eating normal food...Protein powders are unnecessary.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-16-20, 02:27 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Pizza.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-16-20, 02:28 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
To not get enough protein in the day you really have to try hard. You would have to eat junk and I don't mean potato chips and peanut and chocolate bars, I mean stuff that is completely nutritionally devoid and only that. Most people eat more than enough protein in a day just eating, You can get enough protein from a russet potato. I think the whole protein thing is way overblown. I don't think it is a bad thing to eat protein but to make such a fuss is a bit silly.
I think the "Are You Getting Enough Protein?" scam comes from the same place as "Are You Getting Enough Iron?" or "Are You Getting Enough Calcium?" scams. You can do this same thing with anything the body needs, from water, to vitamins, to sex.

I've obsessed over protein too like everyone else, and firmly believe it's yet another GNC (R.I.P.) inspired scam to get people to buy various supplements, which they never needed in the first place. Eat as well as you can, and take note of the foods that feel healthiest to you, and cut out the stuff that does not agree with you. For me, that's currently a non-meat, whole grain, fruit, vegetable, and yogurt diet, but YMMV, especially depending on age and activity level.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-16-20, 02:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I think the whole protein thing is way overblown. I don't think it is a bad thing to eat protein but to make such a fuss is a bit silly.
That's how supplement companies make money. They convince people that protein powders are a necessity and people believe that nonsense and spend money on something that they don't need.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-16-20, 02:31 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Tasty animals.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 10-16-20, 02:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
You can get enough protein from a russet potato..

Enough protein for what? There's only about 5 grams of protein in a russett. You're right if you eat about 10-15 potatoes a day, but I ain't doing that.
Old 10-16-20, 02:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I think the "Are You Getting Enough Protein?" scam comes from the same place as "Are You Getting Enough Iron?" or "Are You Getting Enough Calcium?" scams. You can do this same thing with anything the body needs, from water, to vitamins, to sex.

I've obsessed over protein too like everyone else, and firmly believe it's yet another GNC (R.I.P.) inspired scam to get people to buy various supplements, which they never needed in the first place. Eat as well as you can, and take note of the foods that feel healthiest to you, and cut out the stuff that does not agree with you. For me, that's currently a non-meat, whole grain, fruit, vegetable, and yogurt diet, but YMMV, especially depending on age and activity level.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's how supplement companies make money. They convince people that protein powders are a necessity and people believe that nonsense and spend money on something that they don't need.
It is all scams. Gotta eat plenty of powder though, powder makes the world go round.
Old 10-16-20, 02:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

There is really no practical substitute for whey protein. .
How did people get enough protein before protein supplements were invented ??
Likes For wolfchild:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.