Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Winter training

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Winter training

Old 10-29-20, 05:20 PM
10cup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Winter training

This is my first year with my ICE Trike and am looking for some advice on what type of indoor training to do. I have been looking at the Sportcrafters rollers but then I see the fluid resistance units, although at much greater cost. Any input would be appreciated.
TIA
10cup
Old 10-30-20, 09:40 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Bundle up and keep riding outside.

You got three wheels.
Old 11-02-20, 12:05 PM
Scubaquarius

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Bundle up and keep riding outside.

You got three wheels.
My wife and I live in NWAR and we are trying to keep riding outside during the winter. She'll probably make it longer than me because...
I am a "cold wimp"...

Scubaquarius
Old 11-02-20, 12:45 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'm the cold wimp in my family (my wife doesn't ride), but I make myself ride all year, because I can't stand indoor trainers.

Also, I got a velomobile so it's much better than being in the open...still cold, but MUCH better. Coldest I've been riding in is ~7F.
Old 11-05-20, 03:09 PM
Scubaquarius

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I'm the cold wimp in my family (my wife doesn't ride), but I make myself ride all year, because I can't stand indoor trainers.

Also, I got a velomobile so it's much better than being in the open...still cold, but MUCH better. Coldest I've been riding in is ~7F.
7 degrees...man that is cold! But after looking at that picture of your magnificent Velomobile... I'm not feeling too sorry for you .
Maybe a little jealous

I'll never make 32 degrees F on my bike.

Good biking to you,
Scubaquarius
Likes For Scubaquarius:
Old 11-05-20, 06:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've been training on my resistance rollers with my DF for 25 years. Get the resistance. Rollers without a resistance unit are much more limited. It's a lifetime investment, lots of time for amortization.

You saw that Sportcrafters makes a resistance roller set "just for you," right? I ride 1,000 miles or so on my rollers every year.

Besides not freezing one's butt off, indoors saves a lot of time. Put on shorts and shoes, turn on the fan, and away you go.
Old 01-15-21, 10:55 PM
walterpeter946
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Suggesting you the best option

I would suggest you to go with Marcy ME-709 Recumbent Bike. It is an amazing one and one of the best used by many people. I own it myself and i loved to exercise on it for time being when I cannot go outside.

Last edited by walterpeter946; 01-15-21 at 10:55 PM. Reason: text error
Old 01-16-21, 10:27 AM
10cup

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the input! Much appreciated. I ended up getting rollers with graduating resistance and I think it is going to be just what I needed.
Old 02-04-21, 01:07 AM
walterpeter946
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love to train inside my house with my marcy recumbent exercise bike. It is actual fun to train with this bike. I gained great results with this recumbent bike.
Old 02-04-21, 06:57 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Besides not freezing one's butt off, indoors saves a lot of time. Put on shorts and shoes, turn on the fan, and away you go.
I finally am getting that this winter. I've been riding outdoors for 39 winters and generally in sub-freezing temps. I bought a Wahoo Kickr bout 4 years ago but never used it much. This year, though, my wife wanted to use it. She's a 4,000-5,000 mile a year rider and never rode much in the winter outside or on a trainer but she wanted to do the trainer this winter. She's been smashing it. Because I've been helping her, I started using it, too, and the thing was used about 50x between the two of us in January.

So, I finally get the indoor thing. Like stated, shorts, shoes, jersey, fan, trainer and boot up FulGaz on a large tv and good for an hour.

Also, I use a power meter on all of my bents and the Kickr is measuring and reporting power, too, to Strava. Strava's training graphs show that my power is up dramatically after a month on the trainer.

Old 02-04-21, 10:21 AM
10cup

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I finally am getting that this winter. I've been riding outdoors for 39 winters and generally in sub-freezing temps. I bought a Wahoo Kickr bout 4 years ago but never used it much. This year, though, my wife wanted to use it. She's a 4,000-5,000 mile a year rider and never rode much in the winter outside or on a trainer but she wanted to do the trainer this winter. She's been smashing it. Because I've been helping her, I started using it, too, and the thing was used about 50x between the two of us in January.

So, I finally get the indoor thing. Like stated, shorts, shoes, jersey, fan, trainer and boot up FulGaz on a large tv and good for an hour.

Also, I use a power meter on all of my bents and the Kickr is measuring and reporting power, too, to Strava. Strava's training graphs show that my power is up dramatically after a month on the trainer.
Sounds like a great way to train indoors. Thanks for the info on FulGaz, wasn't aware of this and looks like it would really help.
Old 02-25-21, 05:57 AM
recumbentbikes
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indoor training is the best. Try Schwinn 270 recumbent bike